The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Is it time to panic with Deshaun Watson yet?

Postby abloom » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:07 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 am
tidewaterjc wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:23 pm They are combined for pre-trial hearings - that was agreed to last week by each side.
Thanks.

Well, it looks like from the most recent development that Watson’s legal team has gone from “it never happened” to “it happened but it was consensual” to now “all of the women are lying”. This has the earmarks of a prolonged ugly event. I’m surprised by the all-in tactic on Watson’s side - I wonder if they got some kind of indicator that his career is over if even a few of the events are accurate because this is not going to play well at all in the public’s eyes and figures to take an extended period to resolve.
My impression by all of the releases from Watson's side was that it was always going to be "Everything was consensual, and those that claim it wasn't are lying"

I think that by saying his message changed is an over simplification of the statements that were made.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 am
tidewaterjc wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:23 pm They are combined for pre-trial hearings - that was agreed to last week by each side.
Thanks.

Well, it looks like from the most recent development that Watson’s legal team has gone from “it never happened” to “it happened but it was consensual” to now “all of the women are lying”. This has the earmarks of a prolonged ugly event. I’m surprised by the all-in tactic on Watson’s side - I wonder if they got some kind of indicator that his career is over if even a few of the events are accurate because this is not going to play well at all in the public’s eyes and figures to take an extended period to resolve.
Or maybe hes just defending himself? I can tell you if someone falsely accused me of something like this I'd be exhausting every defense avenue available to me too, especially if it could potentially lead to millions in lost revenue or worse. Better believe I'm fighting back.

We have no way to know what happened here outside of comments from lawyers who are going to sensationalize whatever they can to support their claim. This is not surprising in the least.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 am

My read of this whole situation is that without commenting on what happened, Watson either 1. Believes he is innocent or 2. Is batshit insane.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:02 am

The lawyers are just fighting for position in a settlement right now, which is how I expect this to end.

tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby tidewaterjc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 am

MFundercover wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:02 am The lawyers are just fighting for position in a settlement right now, which is how I expect this to end.
Spot on --- Watson gained some leverage back after the onslaught by Buzbee.

It is all positioning for leverage in a settlement.
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 am

Wow. Watson’s lawyer Hardin just outed all the names of the accusers to the press. What a d-bag.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:37 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 am Wow. Watson’s lawyer Hardin just outed all the names of the accusers to the press. What a d-bag.
Did you expect otherwise? This is pretty much playing out like any other "he said she said" lawsuit involving celebrities and high priced attorneys.

Watson just needs to pay up, claim sex addiction, go to rehab (as the NFL I think will be more lenient in their suspension if he claims its an addiction and he actively gets help), sit some games, and it is all forgotten in a year or two as long as he stays on the straight and narrow.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 am Wow. Watson’s lawyer Hardin just outed all the names of the accusers to the press. What a d-bag.
Why would you expect anything different? This is a Civil Action not a criminal one and they are not minors. This certainly wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Regardless, in today's society it is still innocent until PROVEN guilty no matter how some want to twist the justice system.

Watson has every right to face his accusers in both criminal and civil trials even though civil trials have a lower bar.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:08 am

Wonder what the original amount is that the lawyer wanted to settle?

Unless he's truthfully innocent, that amount is looking like heaven compared to all of this.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:25 am

Fairly certain that civil lawsuits in Texas cannot be filed by john/jane does. They must have their names part of the filing which is public information. While it may make it easier to get the names, it was not impossible before him. That is why the first thing that Hardin did was request/demand the courts force the plaintiffs to refile the lawsuits with their names.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:34 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:08 am Wonder what the original amount is that the lawyer wanted to settle?

Unless he's truthfully innocent, that amount is looking like heaven compared to all of this.
No kidding. I saw somewhere it was 6 figures. If that's the case I bet hes kicking himself now after losing his sponsorships and potentially facing the exempt list, even if hes innocent. Although that number may have been for just the first accuser rather than 20 different cases.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:48 am

Ice wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 am
Why would you expect anything different? This is a Civil Action not a criminal one and they are not minors. This certainly wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Regardless, in today's society it is still innocent until PROVEN guilty no matter how some want to twist the justice system.

Watson has every right to face his accusers in both criminal and civil trials even though civil trials have a lower bar.
This had nothing to do with Watson’s right to due process or a presumption of innocence. My comment is aimed at Hardin sending all the plaintiff’s names to the press.

Because at a minimum it is a crappy thing for a lawyer to do. At worst it makes each of these women a target for harassment or worse, and if they are in fact victims would put them at risk for being victimized again. As an officer of the court, his ethics should prevent this kind of behavior for just those reasons.

And did I seriously need to explain this that you couldn’t figure it out yourself?

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:01 am

a lawyer being unethical? what has this world become...

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:34 am

Just an ironic observation from being inundated with story non-stop on basically all media sources (and unfortunately reading the public commentary in addition to just the factual based reports): many of the same people who are very vocal about how they hate cancel culture and "social justice warriors" who verbally attack complete strangers online, threaten them, try to get them fired/jailed with little to know information often doing so anonymously with at best questionable motivations for doing so.... are the same ones who see nothing wrong with what Harden did releasing these women's names to the press, say "that's just how it works", and completely dismiss/don't care that Watson's accusers are now facing the same vitriol.

Don't really care which way anyone leans, but get so sick of the inherent hypocrisy in the logic behind the thinking above. If you hate the cancel culture/"SJW" methods, you should hate and be sympathetic to what's happening to these women now by the ignorant masses. If you don't care or think it's fine for people to harass these women, then stop complaining about "SJWs" doing what amounts to the same thing. We are all idiots to some extent, can we at least be consistent in our idiocy?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:57 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:48 am
Ice wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 am

This had nothing to do with Watson’s right to due process or a presumption of innocence. My comment is aimed at Hardin sending all the plaintiff’s names to the press.

Because at a minimum it is a crappy thing for a lawyer to do. At worst it makes each of these women a target for harassment or worse, and if they are in fact victims would put them at risk for being victimized again. As an officer of the court, his ethics should prevent this kind of behavior for just those reasons.

And did I seriously need to explain this that you couldn’t figure it out yourself?
So you're shocked a lawyer is smart enough to get the press to investigate. Assuming all these woman are stand up and deserve anonymity is a massive reach. While they might be the defense can't assume that at all. The fact is the court requires them to be public. Now the legal team, private investigators, and yes the press can look into their lives just like everyone is looking into Watson's.

Bottom line is this case is all about money. The playing field levels now that we all know who is who in the battle for public opinion. The lawyer is doing his job just like their lawyer was doing his by dragging Watson through the mud using the same press you might think shouldn't know.

Hard to follow your logic; Watson has also been targeted and in the court of public opinion where this is being fought.

Lawyers on both sides are doing exactly what is expected regardless if you might only think one side should make this public or not.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts