Russell Wilson Discussion Thread - Split with Seahawks?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Russell Wilson/Seahawks Split?

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:52 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:31 pm Probably going to have to be Pete's team, or Wilson's team at some point.

I really wouldn't have thought it would come to this. But since coming into the league Wilson has been kind of a "Bull Durham" type quote. Always saying the "right" thing, never throwing players, coaches, or teammates under the bus. But under that veneer of aw-shucks team friendliness burns the fire of a competitor.

The guy is a Top-5 QB in the league, and he doesn't want to hand the ball off 30-35 times a game. He wants to play for a team that will let him air it out more, and it certainly doesn't appear that's the direction the coaching staff prefers. I don't necessarily think a trade will get done this offseason. But next year? I wouldn't bet anything meaningful on Wilson finishing his career in Seattle at this point as long as Carroll is the coach.
Good post.

There's been rumors two offseasons in a row about Russell possibly wanting out or the Seahawks entertaining the idea. There was the rumor that the Seahawks had back channel discussions about trading Russell for the #1 overall pick. Then there was another about Russell wanting to go to New York (which he does want to do).

It's definitely trending that way. Brady left New England because he thought if he had more input, he could win again. Seems like Russell is taking that same mentality.

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20 am

The team was at its best when they ran the ball effectively and played defense. If Russ was dealt I’d be buying low on whoever the starting RB was.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:45 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20 am The team was at its best when they ran the ball effectively and played defense. If Russ was dealt I’d be buying low on whoever the starting RB was.
Agreed but w Carson a FA, I don't see any rostered RBs carrying the mail.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:51 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:45 am
The Godwin Complex wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20 am The team was at its best when they ran the ball effectively and played defense. If Russ was dealt I’d be buying low on whoever the starting RB was.
Agreed but w Carson a FA, I don't see any rostered RBs carrying the mail.
Penny (admittedly on quite limited volume) has held a solid 5 ypc throughout his career. He has the build and measurables, hopefully he has the right mindset now (he was coming on strong in 2019 before his injury, and this year was a write off)

Its truly make or break year for the guy. An owner (and Hawks fan) can only hope he excels. But if I was betting I would wager against him sadly.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm

It should be noted though, that their defense was an all-time elite defense: Sherman, Thomas, Wright, Wagner, Chancellor, Bennett, Avril, McDaniel...they were loaded.

Chances are they're not going to have a defense like that anytime soon that allows them to get away with running the ball and playing conservative.

Pete Carroll's inability to realize that and adapt is likely why Russ wants out. Too many coaches want to win their way instead of playing to the strength of their talent.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm
It should be noted though, that their defense was an all-time elite defense: Sherman, Thomas, Wright, Wagner, Chancellor, Bennett, Avril, McDaniel...they were loaded.

Chances are they're not going to have a defense like that anytime soon that allows them to get away with running the ball and playing conservative.

Pete Carroll's inability to realize that and adapt is likely why Russ wants out. Too many coaches want to win their way instead of playing to the strength of their talent.
Yes!

And that's what's so funny about the Hawks season in 2020. Pete new the defense was weak heading into the year, so the offense was opened up to score more points in an effort to minimize his poor defenses' impact on the game. It worked pretty well for the first half of the season.

About that time the defense started to show some improvement, Wilson threw a couple more INT's than was acceptable, and Pete started calling for a more conservative approach on offense. Granted, this also became a necessity as defenses started taking away the deep shots to DK and Lockett that had been there earlier in the year. But Seattle's coaching staff seemed totally unable to figure out a counter-punch to the defensive strategies they faced from that point onward. Pete just wanted to revert to "his style" of football. He's still hammering that point home as the offseason progresses.

I'm not sure how much of this was Carroll's direct involvement, or if Schottenheimer was the catalyst behind the change in offensive philosophy midstream. But we know who the scapegoat for that failure was!

The team became very one dimensional, bordering on unwatchable for the last half of the year. They couldn't hit big plays in the passing or running game, too many 3-and-outs, stalled drives, and at best field goal attempts. Meanwhile, the defense continued to be mediocre, and when the team did win it was always a nail-biter in the 4th quarter. Of course, the savior in these games wasn't the defense. Wasn't the running game. It was Russell Wilson running around until he could make something happen.

When he was unable to do so, the Hawks lost. This probably sounds very anti-Carroll, though it's really not meant to be. He's up there with Chuck Knox and Mike Holmgren as the best coaches the Seahawks have ever had.

But I must agree with Cameron Giles, that a coaches' failure to maximize the talents of their players by utilizing a style of play that doesn't mesh with their strengths is stubborn, and a recipe for failure. Or mediocrity at best.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Yes!

And that's what's so funny about the Hawks season in 2020. Pete new the defense was weak heading into the year, so the offense was opened up to score more points in an effort to minimize his poor defenses' impact on the game. It worked pretty well for the first half of the season.

About that time the defense started to show some improvement, Wilson threw a couple more INT's than was acceptable, and Pete started calling for a more conservative approach on offense. Granted, this also became a necessity as defenses started taking away the deep shots to DK and Lockett that had been there earlier in the year. But Seattle's coaching staff seemed totally unable to figure out a counter-punch to the defensive strategies they faced from that point onward. Pete just wanted to revert to "his style" of football. He's still hammering that point home as the offseason progresses.

I'm not sure how much of this was Carroll's direct involvement, or if Schottenheimer was the catalyst behind the change in offensive philosophy midstream. But we know who the scapegoat for that failure was!

The team became very one dimensional, bordering on unwatchable for the last half of the year. They couldn't hit big plays in the passing or running game, too many 3-and-outs, stalled drives, and at best field goal attempts. Meanwhile, the defense continued to be mediocre, and when the team did win it was always a nail-biter in the 4th quarter. Of course, the savior in these games wasn't the defense. Wasn't the running game. It was Russell Wilson running around until he could make something happen.

When he was unable to do so, the Hawks lost. This probably sounds very anti-Carroll, though it's really not meant to be. He's up there with Chuck Knox and Mike Holmgren as the best coaches the Seahawks have ever had.

But I must agree with Cameron Giles, that a coaches' failure to maximize the talents of their players by utilizing a style of play that doesn't mesh with their strengths is stubborn, and a recipe for failure. Or mediocrity at best.
Good post.

To me, any NFL team hiring Brian Schottenheimer as their OC these days is clueless. Wilson, as you mentioned, makes these guys look decent, just because of his ability to improvise.

It feels like most great coaches don't revert their style when defenses figure them out for a few games. They just add wrinkles to the foundation and look to execute better. Carroll runs away and uses it as an excuse to play more conservative.

Russ just needs to get to a good offensive mind at this point.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:51 pm
Good stuff
Good stuff very specific to Hawks
I would say this is a far too common issue in the NFL, not just the Hawks. How many DCs have we seen get hired, and run a 3-4 when the personnel is set up for a 4-3? Or vice versa? So we have a fire sale of defensive players and/or cram round pegs at square holes. I cannot for the life of me figure out a) why wasn't this a consideration of choice in DC? or b) why isn't the DC adapting?

I guess the answer we all know is - "management is more important than labor." Then, you wind up like the Texans.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:00 pm

Schotty is the scapegoat. He gave them the effing Ferrari offense Seahawks fans had wanted for years and after one bad game (Rams first game and a little bit of Bills second half--turnovers) Pete took the keys and pulled the Volvo back into the parking lot of a first round exit

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:15 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:29 pm To me, any NFL team hiring Brian Schottenheimer as their OC these days is clueless. Wilson, as you mentioned, makes these guys look decent, just because of his ability to improvise.

It feels like most great coaches don't revert their style when defenses figure them out for a few games. They just add wrinkles to the foundation and look to execute better. Carroll runs away and uses it as an excuse to play more conservative.

Russ just needs to get to a good offensive mind at this point.
Well, I'm am hopeful things will work out this way in Seattle. I don't know how accurate/true it is, but some of the early chatter when Shane Waldron was named as the OC was that he had his hand in the way the Rams schemed things (philosophy) on offense.

Something they did that Seattle didn't is run multiple plays from the same formation. Same look, different intent with the ball. This approach, at least on paper, will keep the defense guessing since many formations will look the same pre-snap. Hopefully this is a wrinkle they can implement to keep defenders off-balance, or at least break up some of the blanket coverage that DK and Lockett saw the second half of the season.

I'm not sure what to make of the hire though. Is this someone Pete felt like he could keep under his thumb? How does Russell feel about the hire? Questions I'm not in a position to know anything about.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Farley
Captain
Captain

Postby Farley » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:14 pm

There are some great posts going on in this thread. I tend to agree with many of the views based on how I saw the Seahawks season unfold.

My guess is that Wilson is not too enthused about the Waldron hiring. Possibly because he knows Carroll will have his fingerprints all over this offense going forward.

In the end, this comes down to ego and legacy. Pete, a known player's coach, should understand that Wilson wants to be part of a modern offense with the few seasons he has left in his prime. It's a very reasonable ask. One he should be more than willing to provide to his franchise player. Hell, if it wasn't for Wilson, Carroll probably doesn't have the SB win and the other Should-have-won. He may have gone down as yet another failed college coach experiment.

On top of owing Wilson, it's also the right football move from a winning perspective. You're not going to put up enough points in the toughest division in football pounding the rock with mediocre backs behind a less-than-average line.

Pete's pretty old. He doesn't have the time to go through a rebuild. Either he trades for Dak or relents to Wilson. Regardless, ending this media circus soon should be a priority.

It's fun to talk about it in a forum or listen to it on sports radio, but this is going to be terrible for the team if it drags on. Especially with two of the other teams in the division making moves and receiving good press right now.

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 am

Tyler Lockett getting a 4 year 69 mil deal.

I not sure I get what they are doing in Seattle.

When Wilson can make Dissly, a viable receiving TE, and Metcalf an instant top WR, why do you pay RB and WR.

Spend the money on Defense and OL and draft RBs and WRs once their Rookie deals expires.
Maybe take a flyers on cheap RBs and Wrs.
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:26 am

ravn88 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 am Tyler Lockett getting a 4 year 69 mil deal.

When Wilson can make Dissly, a viable receiving TE, and Metcalf an instant top WR, why do you pay RB and WR.

Spend the money on Defense and OL and draft RBs and WRs once their Rookie deals expires.
Agreed, I think Russ with a solid Oline and no Lockett > Russ getting pressured every play and having Lockett
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:31 am

ravn88 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 am Tyler Lockett getting a 4 year 69 mil deal.

They are making Russ a happy man is what they are doing. I think this Wilson trade talk can end now. Russ would have been mad if they let Lockett walk. They also gave him a weapon in Everett. They are fully caving to Wilson. This offense is going to be fun.

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:36 pm

But i doubt, it will provide more wins
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon