James Conner

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: James Connor

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:43 pm I don't think anyone is paying a mid fist for Conner. I would definitely not say it's the "going rate".
That's a hard no for me. Mayyyybe a late 1st? I'd rather take a dart throw on a younger rookie than a dart throw in Connor being the back to own in Pit past this year

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 am

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:43 pm I don't think anyone is paying a mid fist for Conner. I would definitely not say it's the "going rate".
That's a hard no for me. Mayyyybe a late 1st? I'd rather take a dart throw on a younger rookie than a dart throw in Connor being the back to own in Pit past this year
Obviously, value is subjective between owners.

As a Conner owner I would have a hard time selling him for a late 1st given his age and situation.

The risk is pretty close between the health of Conner and the bust rate of mid to late 1st round fantasy picks. Conner provides solid production when on the field and he is entering the year healthy.

Conner's last 23 games resulted:
1473 yards rushing 16 TD's
89 receptions 748 yards 4 TD's.
That is roughly 430 points or 18.6 ppg which is RB1 production.

I don't see Conner as elite but he is a very good system back with a solid grasp of the Steelers offense. Last year was tough for him and the Steelers on offense obviously but he still ran it at a clip of 4.34 YPC over those 23 games.

Conner turns 25 in May so he is still young with low mileage.

That said, it is fair to give him a red flag for injury concerns.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 am

Ice wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 am

As a Conner owner I would have a hard time selling him for a late 1st given his age and situation.

The risk is pretty close between the health of Conner and the bust rate of mid to late 1st round fantasy picks. Conner provides solid production when on the field and he is entering the year healthy.

I don't see Conner as elite but he is a very good system back with a solid grasp of the Steelers offense. Last year was tough for him and the Steelers on offense obviously but he still ran it at a clip of 4.34 YPC over those 23 games.

I agree, but I was commenting on "the going rate" being a mid first, which suggests that's an average price for Conner within the community, which I don't think is true.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:56 am
Ice wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 am

I agree, but I was commenting on "the going rate" being a mid first, which suggests that's an average price for Conner within the community, which I don't think is true.
Agree on going rate.

His production value is probably there but the market given his injury history and how much picks are valued would be closer to a late 1st.

He is the type of player that will be tough to buy or sell. He is classic hold player IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:18 am

Agree with the Hold take. Although I'm sure some owners are looking to sell and get out possibly. He could have a big year and stay healthy, but I'd be looking to sell after that for sure

Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Johnny Canuck » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 am

Like others have said, Pitt is unlikely to bring in a big name RB, or draft one, so Conner will be around and when healthy he's easily their best option.

Selling now would be selling low, if you want to sell, just wait until in season.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:30 am

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 am Like others have said, Pitt is unlikely to bring in a big name RB, or draft one, so Conner will be around and when healthy he's easily their best option.

Selling now would be selling low, if you want to sell, just wait until in season.
I had said that- I laid out the case that they have no cap space, no 1st round pick, and much bigger needs than RB.

Now I think that there’s reason to be worried about Conner- here are the RBs they met with at the combine:
Taylor, Akers, CEH, Dillon, Moss

I still think that using their picks on a RB when there are more important positions to address is a dumb idea, and maybe this is a smoke screen, but that’s a lot of smoke. Might be time to move on.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:30 am
Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 am Like others have said, Pitt is unlikely to bring in a big name RB, or draft one, so Conner will be around and when healthy he's easily their best option.

I had said that- I laid out the case that they have no cap space, no 1st round pick, and much bigger needs than RB.

Now I think that there’s reason to be worried about Conner- here are the RBs they met with at the combine:

I still think that using their picks on a RB when there are more important positions to address is a dumb idea, and maybe this is a smoke screen, but that’s a lot of smoke. Might be time to move on.
Conner is on the last year of his rookie deal, and I don't think they trust him to stay healthy. I think they will add a back somewhere, at this point.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 am

Conner is on the last year of his rookie deal, and I don't think they trust him to stay healthy. I think they will add a back somewhere, at this point.
The concerning thing is how many of those guys seem like day 2 guys.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:35 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:33 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 am

The concerning thing is how many of those guys seem like day 2 guys.
Seems like a lather, rinse, repeat. They brought in Conner before Bell's deal was up, because I don't think they even planned on resigning him to a long term deal, and I certainly don't think they will do that for Conner, and he's obviously not worth trying to tag like Bell is.

dhanks91
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

James Conner

Postby dhanks91 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:13 am

Curious what everybody’s thoughts are on Conner moving forward? What would you pay in draft picks to acquire him? Is he worth acquiring for a RB needy team?

While I doubt he’s the bell cow he appeared to be a couple of years ago, he may offer short term production for teams in need of a veteran back. I think if he lands in a decent spot and stays healthy he can provide solid production at a position that seems to be hard to fill for fantasy owners.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: James Conner

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 am

He was pretty good this year, but the Steelers just didn't run that much from what I could tell. I'm not sure what to think about Conner. I feel like he'll be a Jet.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:17 pm

I do wonder if he stays on a cheap deal, I don't think he'll have teams knocking down his door chasing him and unless a lot of mocks I just can't see the Steelers taking and RB in the draft as I think they will have to go into a semi rebuild and let Big Ben go.

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:07 pm

If he lands in a decent spot, he may be a nice value at his current cost, but I wouldn’t expect a huge ROI.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 pm

I traded him for the 3.6 in one league and for 2 4ths Marquez callaway and beathard in another.

I think it’s very reasonable to think he doesn’t get a job and if he does it’ll be like what Hyde or freeman got in 2020. He’s not very athletic so he’s not going to be sought after combined with his injury proneness. Not someone I’d be targeting.