James Conner

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: James Conner

Postby mild » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:59 am

ArrylT wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 pm You should consider changing your handle from mild to something like jalapeno because your posts usually carry some kick to them. 8-)
I actually order everything hot at the Thai and Indian places I frequent, the handle is definitely a joke to myself :lol:

Thanks though, I'll take the compliment lol

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:33 am

mild wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:45 pm
prinefan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 am
Franky Four Fingers wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 am Edmonds played in every game last season. He also had a better ypc than Conner last season. Conner simply cannot hold up to the grind of the season. He has missed games in literally every season in the NFL. These two should pair nicely. Edmonds will get an uptick in touches while Conner gets about 80% of Drakes touches.
This looks right to me. I do think it's the Chase Edmunds show, with Conner and whoever they draft as insurance.
I agree with this. Connor is already injured with an off-field motorbike injury (that he's supposedly recovering well from) but nothing about his last few seasons has suggested to me he's anything more than a JAG. Edmunds already having knowledge of the system and chemistry with Kyler - along with already playing pretty much every passing down last season - makes him an easy pickup for contending fantasy teams this year.

We'll know early on Day 2 if these guys will have any worthy draft competition. If the Cardinals are mad enough to go RB at 16th overall then they deserve every ring of the shame bell that they get. Their roster is riddled with holes that need filling long before RB (not that that's ever stopped Keim from drinking on the job). It's the pick at 49th overall that we should be watching closely.

Outside of the top 3 RB's in this class, nobody scares me as far as Chase is concerned. Any addition of a Gainwell / Carter type would just be redundant to Chase's skillset. And to the people saying "but they could trade up from pick 160 to get a RB!" - that would be capital-T-errible. You don't trade up your draft capital for RB's in the real NFL draft... you take them at value when they fall. Trading up for an RB is a 90's NFL move. There's a reason you rarely see it.

Their signing of Connor pretty much tells us everything we need to know about what they're intending to do in this draft, imo.
Agree with all of this except that I think drafting Gainwell would be a nightmare for Edmunds because they have similar skill sets. The reason to still value Edmunds is the idea that he’ll get the 3rd down work in a pass heavy offense. Bringing in a RB whose main skill is catching passes would be a problem.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:05 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:33 am Agree with all of this except that I think drafting Gainwell would be a nightmare for Edmunds because they have similar skill sets. The reason to still value Edmunds is the idea that he’ll get the 3rd down work in a pass heavy offense. Bringing in a RB whose main skill is catching passes would be a problem.
That's fair - I guess that depends on your evaluation of Gainwell vs. Edmonds. Personally, I'm not really impressed with Gainwell at all - and I don't see anything that he would do in his rookie season that would be any better than what Edmonds is already giving them as the veteran incumbent. Gainwell's rushing acumen through the L.O.S is nearly non-existent to me - the most rudimentary of arm-tackles brings him down... so in that sense they are almost carbon copies of each other - they both need gaping holes to run through to be effective as rushers.

A reminder of what Edmonds looks like in this system, and where he made his bread in 2020:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNu158BKQM

You're telling me that a Rookie RB is going to come in and learn pass protection and the route trees of Kliffy K's playbook better than that? Considering both those aspects are usually the things that RB's grow into over the course of their career because they are the hardest parts to learn, I would say it begs belief.

Note: as I said in my original post, this is only about the '21 season, which is all I'm comfortable projecting Edmonds to be usable for. I'm sure Edmonds could well be usurped by another runner by '22... but for this season, he appears to be a value target for contenders wanting a piece of this ARI offense on the cheap.