abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Re: James Conner

Postby abloom » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:18 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:16 pm
abloom wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:02 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:44 am
They don’t have a 4th rounder. They have their 1st and 2nd, and after that only a 5th and two 7ths. I think they have some bigger needs than RB, and with this signing I would find it hard to believe they take one with the 1st or 2nd. They could always make a trade and net more picks, but with what they have currently I would not be afraid of a rookie RB further muddying up the waters.
1) I did say 4th round or beyond
2) they can always trade back into the round.
3) if they have a rb at a 3rd round talent and they fall to the 5th round, they will take the player regardless of need. Like fantasy football you draft the best player available.
I’m not trying to argue, but if NFL teams drafted BPA then QBs wouldn’t be going with likely the first 4 or 5 picks of the draft.
QBs are a bad example because they touch the ball so often and influence the game so dramatically
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm

After not being resigned by Pitt this was the best possible landing spot for Connor. I think if you own him he is a hold, if you’re looking to acquire I’d probably pay a mid 2nd in a 12 team league.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 pm

This seems like maybe a best case for both Edmonds and Conner. AZ was going to ask add a RB at some point. This probably reduced the chance they take someone at 16, although I could still see 49 if one of the top guys fall, but that seems unlikely they'd fall that far.
I like it more for Edmonds then Conner, but that's mostly because I think Conner is done. I'm trying to move him plus a 3rd for a 2nd to someone who thinks he might win that job outright.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:29 pm

abloom wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:18 pm
sugbear65 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:16 pm
abloom wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:02 pm

1) I did say 4th round or beyond
2) they can always trade back into the round.
3) if they have a rb at a 3rd round talent and they fall to the 5th round, they will take the player regardless of need. Like fantasy football you draft the best player available.
I’m not trying to argue, but if NFL teams drafted BPA then QBs wouldn’t be going with likely the first 4 or 5 picks of the draft.
QBs are a bad example because they touch the ball so often and influence the game so dramatically
I think teams do both. Draft BPA or for need. Sometimes the player is both, and sometimes in hindsight it is neither. But in this case it does seem unlikely that they now feel RB is a position of need. They also have Benjamin still on the roster for depth. So if they do draft it is likely to be a late selection for depth (ie 5-7 round). I'm guessing they may go WR in the 2nd because Kirk is in his last year & none of Isabella, Butler or KeeSean Johnson have shown much. But we'll see - Arizona has recently shown they're willing to make surprise moves.

Anyways I certainly like the move for both Conner & Edmonds and now it will come down to health & camp.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 pm

Provided they don't draft a RB in the first two rounds I could see something akin to a poor man's version of the Saints backfield the last couple years with Kamara and Murray. Conner will certainly get some touches but he has never been able to stay on the field despite averaging fewer touches per game than Drake did. In a perfect world if both stay healthy I think Conner is a flex to RB3 and Chase is a low end RB2 high end RB3.

ItsHandsomeDave
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ItsHandsomeDave » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 am

They are not drafting a RB they still have Eno Benjamin

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 am

Franky Four Fingers wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 pm Provided they don't draft a RB in the first two rounds I could see something akin to a poor man's version of the Saints backfield the last couple years with Kamara and Murray. Conner will certainly get some touches but he has never been able to stay on the field despite averaging fewer touches per game than Drake did. In a perfect world if both stay healthy I think Conner is a flex to RB3 and Chase is a low end RB2 high end RB3.
Has Edmonds been able to stay on the field? I think Connor has the more proven track record and they are the same age.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:52 am

ItsHandsomeDave wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:01 am They are not drafting a RB they still have Eno Benjamin
Is this sarcasm? Lol

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 am

thebeast wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 am
Franky Four Fingers wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:07 pm Provided they don't draft a RB in the first two rounds I could see something akin to a poor man's version of the Saints backfield the last couple years with Kamara and Murray. Conner will certainly get some touches but he has never been able to stay on the field despite averaging fewer touches per game than Drake did. In a perfect world if both stay healthy I think Conner is a flex to RB3 and Chase is a low end RB2 high end RB3.
Has Edmonds been able to stay on the field? I think Connor has the more proven track record and they are the same age.
Edmonds played in every game last season. He also had a better ypc than Conner last season. Conner simply cannot hold up to the grind of the season. He has missed games in literally every season in the NFL. These two should pair nicely. Edmonds will get an uptick in touches while Conner gets about 80% of Drakes touches.

prinefan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby prinefan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 am

Franky Four Fingers wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 am
thebeast wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 am
Edmonds played in every game last season. He also had a better ypc than Conner last season. Conner simply cannot hold up to the grind of the season. He has missed games in literally every season in the NFL. These two should pair nicely. Edmonds will get an uptick in touches while Conner gets about 80% of Drakes touches.
This looks right to me. I do think it's the Chase Edmunds show, with Conner and whoever they draft as insurance.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am

It's criminal how little RBs make in the NFL relative to how they're used. If I'm the player's association I'd be negotiating a higher first contract salary for RBs. Guys get used up and spit out before they can even sign a real contract.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:31 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am It's criminal how little RBs make in the NFL relative to how they're used. If I'm the player's association I'd be negotiating a higher first contract salary for RBs. Guys get used up and spit out before they can even sign a real contract.
Agree, was saying a couple years ago they should also be exempt from 5th year options and franchise tags unless they see it in their own personal best interest. It won't change the fact most teams will still draft a replacement rather than sign a high priced 2nd contract guy; but should at least prevent some of the potential contract abuse making them even less likely to get an eventual payday.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:48 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 am It's criminal how little RBs make in the NFL relative to how they're used. If I'm the player's association I'd be negotiating a higher first contract salary for RBs. Guys get used up and spit out before they can even sign a real contract.
Yep and if passed by 2031 teams will be passing 98% of the time and won't draft RB's at all. :D :D
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:45 pm

prinefan wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 am
Franky Four Fingers wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 am Edmonds played in every game last season. He also had a better ypc than Conner last season. Conner simply cannot hold up to the grind of the season. He has missed games in literally every season in the NFL. These two should pair nicely. Edmonds will get an uptick in touches while Conner gets about 80% of Drakes touches.
This looks right to me. I do think it's the Chase Edmunds show, with Conner and whoever they draft as insurance.
I agree with this. Connor is already injured with an off-field motorbike injury (that he's supposedly recovering well from) but nothing about his last few seasons has suggested to me he's anything more than a JAG. Edmunds already having knowledge of the system and chemistry with Kyler - along with already playing pretty much every passing down last season - makes him an easy pickup for contending fantasy teams this year.

We'll know early on Day 2 if these guys will have any worthy draft competition. If the Cardinals are mad enough to go RB at 16th overall then they deserve every ring of the shame bell that they get. Their roster is riddled with holes that need filling long before RB (not that that's ever stopped Keim from drinking on the job). It's the pick at 49th overall that we should be watching closely.

Outside of the top 3 RB's in this class, nobody scares me as far as Chase is concerned. Any addition of a Gainwell / Carter type would just be redundant to Chase's skillset. And to the people saying "but they could trade up from pick 160 to get a RB!" - that would be capital-T-errible. You don't trade up your draft capital for RB's in the real NFL draft... you take them at value when they fall. Trading up for an RB is a 90's NFL move. There's a reason you rarely see it.

Their signing of Connor pretty much tells us everything we need to know about what they're intending to do in this draft, imo.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 pm

You should consider changing your handle from mild to something like jalapeno because your posts usually carry some kick to them. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..