Mike Evans - The Dislike Is Real for this Perennial WR1 - Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Mike Evans

Postby thebeast » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:41 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:LOL. You are ridiculous. First it's "I do not see anyone calling me out. I do not see anyone commenting to me where I failed to respond." and now it's "I didn't know that required a response". :clap: . You sure know how to put on a show.

And drop the strawman attempts. No one is saying he is going to continuing putting up record numbers. Mike Evans is 21 years old. He was a top 10 NFL draft pick and his skills appear to be translating to the NFL. Your whole basis is that we can't be sure if Evans will sustain the his success, yet vouch for whoever the 2015 1.01 is. How can you not see the idiocy in that?

Again, Evans looks well on his way to being a 1,000 yards / 10 TD type WR. How can any respectable dynasty player not say that value trumps 1.01 / Cruz. Cruz is a 28 year old, injured WR who appears to be regressing. Not sure why you think the difference between Evans and Cruz is the 1.01 :lol:.
Unless you're Mike Evans you have issues. I'm just adding you to my ignore list, please add me to yours as we're speaking two completely different languages.
Last edited by thebeast on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:28 pm

thebeast wrote: They're both 1 trick ponies and not complete receivers (CP screens, Evans Go deep) - that's the comparison. You don't need to compare everyone in the same exact way to find similarities. I think defenses will start to find ways to minimize Evans and he may or may not figure out how to adjust to that, but there will be a better time to buy him and fewer better times to sell.
How much of Evans have you watched to conclude he only runs deep routes?

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Prime Lark Voorhies wrote:
thebeast wrote: They're both 1 trick ponies and not complete receivers (CP screens, Evans Go deep) - that's the comparison. You don't need to compare everyone in the same exact way to find similarities. I think defenses will start to find ways to minimize Evans and he may or may not figure out how to adjust to that, but there will be a better time to buy him and fewer better times to sell.
I was just going to ask that, because if you've watched him he runs all routes. His TD's (which would be most of his highlights) have been deep routes though.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Not every snap, but I did go back to take a look at his scoring the past few weeks.

Week 9 - 2 TDs, 1 Go route with nice adjustment on the ball (maybe skinny post), another go route
Week 10 - 1 TD, Go route
Week 11 - 2 TDs, Go route, Go route

He is racking up points with basically 1 route, there might be slight variation to it, like you could consider it a skinny post or corner, but pretty much just go routes.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:50 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:
I was just going to ask that, because if you've watched him he runs all routes. His TD's (which would be most of his highlights) have been deep routes though.
Admittedly I haven't watched every snap. I pretty much watch Redzone on Sundays so I mostly see scoring plays or whatever action they're covering. While he may run some other routes, his scoring is coming from 1 type of play and I would guess defenses will look to stop him from beating them on that 1 play.

Portsmouth Spartans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Portsmouth Spartans » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:55 pm

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... -goal-line

Not a "go" route... But does make a rookie mistake at the end
10 team standard, keeper with 5-year option contracts (remaining years in parentheses, $5 per additional year when extended), $200 salary cap. Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE
2015, 2017 Champs

QB: Jackson ($8 3yr+extension)
RB: Mixon ($5 1yr+extension), Chubb ($5 2yr+extension), Sanders ($5 3yr+ extension), Michel ($5 1yr+extension), Guice ($5 2yr+extension)
WR: Godwin ($1 2yr+extension), AJ Brown ($3 3yr+extension), Chark ($8 3yr+extension), M. Brown ($3 3y +extension), Isabella ($3 3yr+ extension)
TE: Kittle ($3, 2yr+extension), Henry ($1 2yr+extension), Goedert ($1 3yr+extension)

2020: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 2.01, 2.04, 2.10
2021: 1 1st
2022: 2 1st
2023: 1 1st

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:04 pm

thebeast wrote: Admittedly I haven't watched every snap. I pretty much watch Redzone on Sundays so I mostly see scoring plays or whatever action they're covering. While he may run some other routes, his scoring is coming from 1 type of play and I would guess defenses will look to stop him from beating them on that 1 play.
So you're judging him only on the routes he's scored touchdowns on.

Evans does do damage going deep, but he did that in college too. He's not doing anything different as a player that can be viewed as unsustainable or luck. You could literally match his hot streak up against his college tape and it will look exactly the same. He can beat you in a multitude of ways and run a lot of different routes. He's not Martavis Bryant. If the defense is giving him a specific way to beat them each time and he's maximizing that, it's not exactly being a one trick pony.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 pm

thebeast wrote: Admittedly I haven't watched every snap. I pretty much watch Redzone on Sundays so I mostly see scoring plays or whatever action they're covering. While he may run some other routes, his scoring is coming from 1 type of play and I would guess defenses will look to stop him from beating them on that 1 play.
So you're judging him only on the routes he's scored touchdowns on.

Evans does do damage going deep, but he did that in college too. He's not doing anything different as a player that can be viewed as unsustainable or luck. You could literally match his hot streak up against his college tape and it will look exactly the same. He can beat you in a multitude of ways and run a lot of different routes. He's not Martavis Bryant. If the defense is giving him a specific way to beat them each time and he's maximizing that, it's not exactly being a one trick pony.
Look, I'm just here giving my opinion, I've been right a lot and wrong a lot. I don't have any horse in the game, I don't own Evans, I'm not looking to buy him, I don't own anyone that has been mentioned in this thread as a trade candidate for him. I hope he succeeds as I do for almost everyone in the NFL as almost all have put a lot of hard work and time into their craft. I'm just looking at this in an unbiased way, not blinded by the rookie I think I hit gold on. Everyone who picked Evans should feel great! He's exceeded expectations and that is my concern with his value, I don't think it will keep increasing in a linear fashion. He may ultimately be a regular top 3 WR, but I think there will be low, much lower than where he is now, where owners get frustrated with him because they had unrealistic expectations, and that is when I'll look to buy him.

jetsfan5757
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby jetsfan5757 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:52 pm

LOL. This is nuts. Beast is entitled to his opinion and it's legit.

Everyone is salivating over Evans right now, so his value is really inflated (I know I would only take a handful of receivers in exchange for him), but he can't keep this pace up forever. He probably will have a few down weeks. He is not gauranteed to be an elite WR.

He didn't compare CP and Evans until forced to, he compared the HYPE AROUND THEM. In that sense, he is right. Hype is high and there are no gaurantees.

Also, there is no way I take Cruz and 1.1 for Evans. 1.1 is just as much of a lotto ticket if not more than Evans. Bottom line: Beast is right he probably is overvalued right now and will be cheaper at some point, but I disagree with Beast on the Cruz and 1.1.

Shall we move on?
Dynasty League (25 man rosters + 2 IR, non-PPR scoring. QB/3RB/3WR/2TE/K/DB/LB/DL no flex)

QB (1): Herbert, Lawrence, Darnold
RB (3): N. Chubb, D. Henry, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, Pollard, Singletary, L. Murray
WR (3): D. Hopkins, D. Adams, M. Evans, D.J. Moore, DJ Chark, B. Aiyuk, J. Smith-Schuster, R Bateman, E. Moore
TE (2): I. Smith Jr, H. Henry, Schultz, Tremble

K (1): M. Crosby

DB (1): J. Adams
LB (1): F. Warner
DL (1): D. Lawrence

PS: I often don't revisit a thread after posting. Send me a message if you ever want further thoughts on a comment I made.

EastonBlues22
Role Player
Role Player

Postby EastonBlues22 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:29 pm

This one seems pretty easy.

If you're set on sitting on him and developing him to maturity, then you have to be thrilled with what you've seen.

If you own him and you're risk averse, then now is a great time to flip him for a high-value asset that's a known commodity.

If you don't own him, then now is a terrible time to invest.
10 team Dynasty, 27 man roster [PPR, +1 Comp Pass/-1 Incomp Pass, 6 pts all TDs, 0.1 pts all Yds (including pass and return), Distance TD and Yd Milestone Bonuses]; Start: 2 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Brees, Romo, Bridgewater, Carr
RB: D. Murray, Yeldon, Hightower, Powell, Ajayi, Coleman, Mathews, McKinnon, Michael, B. Brown
WR: A. Brown, Cobb, Edelman, T. Benjamin, Gordon, Crabtree, Amendola, Aiken, K. Martin
TE: Gronkowski, Kelce, Eifert
Championships: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Bellf
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Bellf » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:16 pm

EastonBlues22 wrote:This one seems pretty easy.

If you're set on sitting on him and developing him to maturity, then you have to be thrilled with what you've seen.

If you own him and you're risk averse, then now is a great time to flip him for a high-value asset that's a known commodity.

Whammy!
16 Team PPR 40-roster 1Qb, 1-4RB, 2-5WR, 1-3 TE IDP= 2-3DL, 2-3LB, 2-3DB (8 Offense, 8 Defense)

Team 1
(5th Year)
QB- Mahomes
RB- Gurley, D. Freeman, J. Jacobs, Breida, Ballage, D. Harris, D. Thompson
WR- Evans, Alshon, D. Adams, J. Washington, Tre'Quan Smith, Hardman, Deebo
TE- Engram, Njoku
DL- Bosa, Hicks, Tuitt, Addison, Barnett
LB- E. Kendricks, D. Perryman, T. Edmunds, Alonso, J. Brown, Tavai
DB- Clinton-Dix, Q. Diggs, D.King, Jefferson, Cyprien, Rapp

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Even as an evans owner not looking to trade evans

..im closer to beasts reasoning than those who call him top 10 or worth as much as ajg dt dez etc.

Evans may continue his progression as he matures and sharpens his skills...he may not.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 am

captain howdy wrote:Even as an evans owner not looking to trade evans

..im closer to beasts reasoning than those who call him top 10 or worth as much as ajg dt dez etc.

Evans may continue his progression as he matures and sharpens his skills...he may not.
I think my question is what does he have to progress on? He's the PPR WR12, and non-PPR WR9, and that's with missing a game. He's having a Moss-like rookie season. Not bad considering the crap he's had throwing him the ball. I don't have any problem with people having him in their top 10, or even top 5.

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:48 am

jetsfan5757 wrote:LOL. This is nuts. Beast is entitled to his opinion and it's legit.

Everyone is salivating over Evans right now, so his value is really inflated (I know I would only take a handful of receivers in exchange for him), but he can't keep this pace up forever. He probably will have a few down weeks. He is not gauranteed to be an elite WR.

He didn't compare CP and Evans until forced to, he compared the HYPE AROUND THEM. In that sense, he is right. Hype is high and there are no gaurantees.

Also, there is no way I take Cruz and 1.1 for Evans. 1.1 is just as much of a lotto ticket if not more than Evans. Bottom line: Beast is right he probably is overvalued right now and will be cheaper at some point, but I disagree with Beast on the Cruz and 1.1.

Shall we move on?
But you could say that about literally every rookie, ever. From now on, it's impossible to value a rookie because of CP. That's that. Throw the facts of completely different scenarios and completely different players out the window, because CP was overhyped as a rookie.

Do you like Jeremy Hill and think he is a great asset? Well, you can't, because you have to remember CP.

Again, I don't think anyone here is guaranteeing anything. As with any player, you weigh the risks vs rewards. There is no guarantee that Mike Evans is going to be a top 10 WR, but there is also no guarantee that he is going to bust like CP did.

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:53 am

EastonBlues22 wrote:This one seems pretty easy.

Yes. This is exactly how I see it. I think it would be hard for anyone to really disagree with the above. The problem I have is that the antagonist in here is saying that Mike Evans < 1.01/Cruz because there is no guarantee that Evans sticks as a top 10 WR. That is absolute idiocy. If you are weary of Evans because of bust potential, then explain how on earth the 1.01 has shown more sustainability? You can't unless you're trolling.