Mike Evans - The Dislike Is Real for this Perennial WR1 - Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Mike Evans

Postby evorzan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:56 am

thebeast wrote:
ajmyk wrote:He's a monster, the clear cut #2 of this rookie class like everyone excepted.

His value is closer to Watkin's than to any other rookie receiver.
I'd disagree with that, I think Benjamin is the clear #2 rookie WR. If I were redrafting I would go Watkins, Benjamin, Cooks, Evans.
I'm the opposite. If I had Cooks or Benjamin, I would trade them to you for Evans straight up.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:56 am

Read Matt Waldman's pre-draft piece on Evans, then go watch the highlights on NFL.com of this week's game and Evans TD's, especially the sideline catch.

His deep sideline ability is phenomenal, especially the way he keeps space from the sideline then adjusts last second to create separation from the DB to get the ball.

I'm not knocking Cooks and Benjamin at all, but Evans is already putting on display in the NFL the exact skills that made him the #2 WR prospect.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:05 am

Telperion wrote:Read Matt Waldman's pre-draft piece on Evans, then go watch the highlights on NFL.com of this week's game and Evans TD's, especially the sideline catch.

His deep sideline ability is phenomenal, especially the way he keeps space from the sideline then adjusts last second to create separation from the DB to get the ball.

I'm not knocking Cooks and Benjamin at all, but Evans is already putting on display in the NFL the exact skills that made him the #2 WR prospect.
Evans had another nice catch of around 20 yards taken away because he was just out of bounds. And he had yet another 20+ yarder called back due to a penalty on the line.

Could have been a 200 yard 2td day pretty close. He actually dominated the game. While Benjamin looks good I don't think he has dominated a game yet. He has made nice contested catches for sure though.

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:09 am

thebeast wrote:
ajmyk wrote:He's a monster, the clear cut #2 of this rookie class like everyone excepted.

I'd disagree with that, I think Benjamin is the clear #2 rookie WR. If I were redrafting I would go Watkins, Benjamin, Cooks, Evans.
Evans is a far better athlete than Benjamin, Benjamin is just the only decent receiver they have now, while Evans is in better receiver corp. So yes Kelvin is better for this season.
But the Panthers can (and will probably) add a WR next to him next season, and Evans is quietly taking over VJax as Tampa WR1. And from there, the better WR of the 2 will produce better.

Cooks is very overrated. Nice talent but still smallish WR and awful situation. (And i did draft him)
The main reason he was drafted high was that he was NFL ready to produce some numbers from the rookie season, while others were believed to be rawer.

Well, this WR class have spectacularly exceeded the already high expectations, and a they're all emerging in their respective teams.

I'm betting thant by the start of next season, his value will be 5th-8th among the rookies WR's of this class, if not lower. No chances he'll ever be a WR1 in NO or elsewhere,
that while Watkins, Evans, Benjamin are already doing great ans OBJ, Landry , Moncrief , Bryant, Adams, Mathews, ARob, J.Brown may be emerging quickly and surpassing Cooks.

Right now he's just retaining his high value of draft day and his 2 good games. I'm selling high. (like- actually sold him high toady)
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:35 pm

I've been Youtubing it tonight and wanted to share an observation.

Watching college highlight videos of AJG, Julio, Dez, etc, you can quickly see even from their rookie highlights that even though the numbers weren't there yet, they were doing the same things to NFL DB's that they were doing to college DB's.

When I watch Evans this year, he's doing the exact same things to NFL players that he was doing to college players. Yes, a 208 yard game with 2 TD's isn't sustainable, and he's not getting the full WR1 treatment yet, but I think it shouldn't be missed that he looks as dominant in the NFL as he did in college. All numbers aside, he's acing the eye test.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:34 am

ajmyk wrote:
thebeast wrote:

Evans is a far better athlete than Benjamin, Benjamin is just the only decent receiver they have now, while Evans is in better receiver corp. So yes Kelvin is better for this season.
But the Panthers can (and will probably) add a WR next to him next season, and Evans is quietly taking over VJax as Tampa WR1. And from there, the better WR of the 2 will produce better.
See, I see that completely opposite. I think Benjamin is the only receiver on the Panther that opposing teams have to pay attention to and he is still fairing well for a rookie. Evans is benefiting from playing opposite VJax who commands the attention of the best DBs. I think now is a great time to sell Evans high and once defenses roll their coverage to primarily defend Evans it will be a great time to buy low as he adjusts to that, which hopefully he will.

deputylefty
Starter
Starter

Postby deputylefty » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:50 am

Evans seems like one of those rare player to buy high. Anyone agree, or am I just blinded by his performance the past few weeks?

If he's a buy high, how high?

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 am

deputylefty wrote:Evans seems like one of those rare player to buy high. Anyone agree, or am I just blinded by his performance the past few weeks?

I've been debating offering Cruz and the sure 1.01 as an opening offer for him....I doubt that gets it done.

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:55 am

deputylefty wrote:Evans seems like one of those rare player to buy high. Anyone agree, or am I just blinded by his performance the past few weeks?

Ya it is tough because everybody knows that this stretch he is putting together is a small sample size. But ever week that goes by and he does well he creeps closer to "untouchable".

You an wait and hope he has a bad game but we don't know what a bad game looks like either. is 70 yards his floor right now?
I think if you want to buy you are going to have to wait a few weeks and hope he calms down a bit.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 am

Fezzik wrote:

I've been debating offering Cruz and the sure 1.01 as an opening offer for him....I doubt that gets it done.
Like seriously, did CP's monster run at the end of last year not teach anyone anything?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:27 am

thebeast wrote: See, I see that completely opposite. I think Benjamin is the only receiver on the Panther that opposing teams have to pay attention to and he is still fairing well for a rookie. Evans is benefiting from playing opposite VJax who commands the attention of the best DBs. I think now is a great time to sell Evans high and once defenses roll their coverage to primarily defend Evans it will be a great time to buy low as he adjusts to that, which hopefully he will.
Who did Evans benefit from playing alongside in college though? Hes doing the exact same things in this hot streak as he was at A&M and he's only 21. Plus, he's not exactly playing in an electric offense. V-Jax is still getting a lot of targets, he just hasn't done much with them; hes struggled this season. I don't think defenses are necessarily more concerned about him than Evans right now.

deputylefty
Starter
Starter

Postby deputylefty » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:37 am

thebeast wrote:
Fezzik wrote:

Like seriously, did CP's monster run at the end of last year not teach anyone anything?
Good point. He blew up against Cleveland, Atlanta, and Washington, not exactly the top pass defenses in the league.

But I wonder if he may eventually become uncoverable, like Megatron. If so, watch out.

Fezzik
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Fezzik » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:02 am

Guess I'm just a slow learner. But I'm pretty low on Cruz to come back from a patella injury and be the WR he was before, particularly as he relies on quickness/acceleration/change of direction out of the slot (all of which are impacted by that injury).

And I did sell high on C Patterson - packaged him up for Julio.

I know its just 3 monster games in a row, but isn't this what people thought he'd become?

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:04 am

deputylefty wrote:
thebeast wrote:Good point. He blew up against Cleveland, Atlanta, and Washington, not exactly the top pass defenses in the league.
The only thing that CP did last year was run with the ball. If you take away all of CPs rushing yards, he's was very pedestrian.

Mike Evans has been running fantastic routes. His hards are awesome. He jumps to the highest point of the ball when he's near it. He catches with his eyes (so HUGE). He out-muscles lesser DBs. He's putting up huge catching statistics with very inadequate QB play.

Evans has it all. He's a monster. He's NOTHING like CP.

If anyone still wants to buy Evans, you best do it now. At the end of the season, I'm going to offer up AJG for Evans and a 1st round draft pick, and I don't know if he'll even accept it. That's how awesome Evans is right now.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:05 am

Fezzik wrote:Guess I'm just a slow learner. But I'm pretty low on Cruz to come back from a patella injury and be the WR he was before, particularly as he relies on quickness/acceleration/change of direction out of the slot (all of which are impacted by that injury).
Jerry Rice had the same injury, and came back to be the same Jerry Rice. Granted, he's the GOAT. But still, it happened.

I'm low on Cruz too, but for different reasons.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134