Derek Carr Thread: King of the Underrated QBs

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: What do people expect of Derek Carr?

Postby ericanadian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 am

He should be okay in Gruden's system. I don't expect elite, but he'll be a middle of the road QB. I like Dalton more than Carr. He's had success in multiple systems.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

suhandahalfmen
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What do people expect of Derek Carr?

Postby suhandahalfmen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 am

I may be in the minority for this, but I dont like the prospect of him in Gruden's system.

I have him as a middle of the pack-ish QB, with QB1 upside (as mentioned above).

Jcedwards
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Derek Carr value

Postby Jcedwards » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 am

What is he worth right now?

Looking to add a backup QB for Mahomes and have been approached to trade for him. Would you trade a 2020 2nd for him?
12 team .5 PPR league. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 D/ST, 1 K, 13 BN, 1 IR

2019 and 2020 Champion

QB- Mahomes / Purdy
RB- Barkley / Pollard / Kamara / Brian Robinson / Dillon / Charbonnet / Dowdle
WR- ARSB / Amari Cooper / Ridley / Diontae Johnson / Michael Thomas / Doubs / Wicks
TE- Goedert / Waller
D/ST- Bills / Dolphins / Chiefs
K- Butker

Taxi- Levis / Roschon Johnson / Jameson Williams / Michael Wilson / Okonkwo

Picks- 2023: 1.02, 1.11, 2.10, 2.11, 3.11, 4.10, 4.11

Rosenbluu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Derek Carr value

Postby Rosenbluu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 pm

Idk what to think of Carr

I just sold Jimmy G/Cain for Carr in my superflex league that im contending in if that helps
12 Team PPR
QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex
QB: Mahomes/Jones
RB: Mixon/Chubb/Mostert/Burkhead/McKinnon
WR: Wilson/JuJu/Marquise/Mooney/Campbell/Dotson/Osborn/Julio/Tolbert/Shakir/Metchie
TE: Andrews/Hurst

Jcedwards
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Derek Carr value

Postby Jcedwards » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Rosenbluu wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:14 pm Idk what to think of Carr

I just sold Jimmy G/Cain for Carr in my superflex league that im contending in if that helps
Luckily, I don't need to start him if I trade for him. I just need an adequate backup while we figure out what is going to happen with Winston. 2020 is a good ways away still, so I don't mind trading a 2nd from that year. Just wasn't sure if that was a good price to pay for him. My only other option is attempt to get Tannehill on waivers (I have waiver claim 11/12), but I don't think that is going to happen with the Jimmy G owner needing a QB.
12 team .5 PPR league. 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 D/ST, 1 K, 13 BN, 1 IR

2019 and 2020 Champion

QB- Mahomes / Purdy
RB- Barkley / Pollard / Kamara / Brian Robinson / Dillon / Charbonnet / Dowdle
WR- ARSB / Amari Cooper / Ridley / Diontae Johnson / Michael Thomas / Doubs / Wicks
TE- Goedert / Waller
D/ST- Bills / Dolphins / Chiefs
K- Butker

Taxi- Levis / Roschon Johnson / Jameson Williams / Michael Wilson / Okonkwo

Picks- 2023: 1.02, 1.11, 2.10, 2.11, 3.11, 4.10, 4.11

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Derek Carr

Postby Phaded » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:31 am

So..

With the Raiders tearing it down and probably looking to start from scratch with a roster of zero players going into next year at this rate.. will Derek Carr be an Oakland Raider in 2019?

According to Sportrac - at the end of the 2018 season there is a potential out. I cannot see him being outright cut but I imagine someone would be willing to trade for him.

Derek Carr while he has not been fantastic - has been criticized a lot. Some fairly and some unfairly. There has been a lot about not taking enough shots down the field - but Jon Gruden has always preferred a more horizontal passing game to a vertical game. This is part of the reason that Al Davis ended up getting rid of him as we all know that Al Davis loved speed, big plays and a vertical game.

So.. with all of this said..
Do you think Derek Carr is going to be an Oakland Raider when the 2019 season starts?
If not, where can he go?
Will a change of scenery do him good?

Also just a fun fact: the Raiders next 2 highest paid players, Jackson & Osemele can also be removed for 2019 with no cap hit.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Re: Derek Carr

Postby ericanadian » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:57 am

Probably. The only real alternative available is drafting a QB with the top three pick headed their way and then starting him immediately. I would think they’d want to sort out their line before getting a young guy lit up, but maybe not.

My issue with Carr isn’t the lack of deep balls. He wasn’t chucking it deep all that often during his great season either. It’s the turnovers and his pocket awareness. I could accept his level of interceptions if he were going downfield like Watson, but he’s not and he’s always struggled on that front. Its seemingly just a part of who he is. The pocket awareness is a new problem, but he’s starting to look shell shocked out there. He ran into multiple sacks against the Niners and one of his slides was about two yards too early. I know he’s taking a beating, but he’s not helping himself and it’s definitely not what you want to see from David Carr’s brother.

WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
K - Just a stupid kicker

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:01 am

I dont think Carr is Gruden's guy or else he wouldn't let him to take this kind of beating week in and week out. This is Gruden's team for 10 years and I think he wants to start all over with his guys. I dont think you can build around an average QB making that kind of money. I know, as I'm a Ravens fan lol

As for Carr... I dont think anyone trades for him and that contract, but you never know. I wouldn't be too surprised if he is a backup in a few years. I just dont think hes that good. However, a different system couldn't hurt him in my opinion

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:06 am

You raise a good point about the contract as well - I only briefly looked into guys like Gannon, Griese, Garcia and Brad Johnson; I can't remember off the top of my head who else he had.. but having a lot of money invested in a quarterback has never really been a Jon Gruden staple it seems..

And with so much money tied up in Carr, it is going to "restrict" them from building a team around him.

I think it will be an interesting story line to watch nonetheless.

It would be pretty shocking if he was outright cut - but I don't think it is impossible either.

I'm just waiting for us to go sign Sam Bradford at this point.

There is also this which has crossed my mind..

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:09 am

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:01 am I dont think Carr is Gruden's guy or else he wouldn't let him to take this kind of beating week in and week out. This is Gruden's team for 10 years and I think he wants to start all over with his guys. I dont think you can build around an average QB making that kind of money. I know, as I'm a Ravens fan lol

As for Carr... I dont think anyone trades for him and that contract, but you never know. I wouldn't be too surprised if he is a backup in a few years. I just dont think hes that good. However, a different system couldn't hurt him in my opinion
If Denver could get Oakland to overlook the fact they’re in the same division, reuniting Carr with Musgrave would be worth some consideration for the Broncos. Not sure how the Raiders could do that though.

K - Just a stupid kicker

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:16 am

ericanadian wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:09 am
Jigga94 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:01 am I dont think Carr is Gruden's guy or else he wouldn't let him to take this kind of beating week in and week out. This is Gruden's team for 10 years and I think he wants to start all over with his guys. I dont think you can build around an average QB making that kind of money. I know, as I'm a Ravens fan lol

If Denver could get Oakland to overlook the fact they’re in the same division, reuniting Carr with Musgrave would be worth some consideration for the Broncos. Not sure how the Raiders could do that though.
True forgot about DEN poor QB situation. Was more so thinking of the teams like MIA, NYG and JAX but they are just fooling themselves at QB at this point.

I'd also like to see a Jameis for Carr shakeup

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 am

Carr isn't going anywhere. While some criticize him, including myself, he's still at a 95 passer rating with no weapons and a porous OL. There is no QB in next years class worth drafting with their early first pick. Just think what the Raiders would look like with a guy like Eli back there right now. I think that Gruden believes he can get Carr back to his 2016 form, but it's a new system with a lot of new players, and he has alluded to the fact Carr needs some continuity in system etc. to get back there. The Raiders will have something like 75 million in free cap space next year, so I think there is plenty of room for building. Perhaps they ask Carr to re-work his contract, but I don't see him being cut or traded.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:36 am

While I don’t think Carr is the MVP candidate he was a few years ago, he’s in a really tough spot right now. He’s on a disaster team for starters. People overlook the full reality that the OL has been getting him beaten for 9 weeks now, and without a doubt that will start to accelerate the mental clock. Add in a shorter pass game approach that Gruden has typically had, and the fact that he’s now tossing to the shell of Jordy Nelson, equally old and slower Brandon Lafell, never good Seth Roberts, and who knows what he is but certainly not a top option Martavis Bryant, and it’s no surprise teams aren’t afraid of the deep pass game and can front load the defense. That offense needs a makeover all over the place.

I don’t have a clue if Carr is there next season, but while learning a new offense (again) wouldn’t be ideal, it is likely better to get out of there and start somewhere fresh. I do feel he can be an average starter in the league.

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:15 am

One of the primary excuses Gruden gave for not signing Mack was they could not pay both a QB and Mack. If Carr is moved this offseason, it tells me Gruden has absolutely no plan and is simply lying about everything. Not signing Mack could be justified if Gruden came into the situation with the intent to completely tear the team apart and start over. However his signing of veterans early on seem to indicate he was trying to 'win now'. What a mess.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Did Gruden say “a QB and Mack” or did he say “Carr and Mack” when making those statements regarding the Mack trade?