Matthew Stafford Thread - Year 13 Rejuvenated in LA?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Stafford, Lions Parting Ways

Postby ravn88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 am

ravn88 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:46 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:59 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Wow, that's faster than I thought it would be. Good for the Lions to strike while the iron is hot.
Makes sense as many teams will fill up on rookie QBs or other QBs possibly to be traded like Goff, Jimmy g, wentz, etc. demand could be a lot lower later
There can't go many days before we get som rumors of what teams are in the final run.
That was fast.

Now we know what the Rams thought of Goff, are we sure that, Detroit are keeping him ?

I get the whole bridge-QB-thing, and I agree, but just because the Rams thinks he sucks, dosent mean the rest of the league does.

Is Goff and upgrad for any of these QBs:

Jimmy G ? (Injured) could they swap Qbs, + a 2nd maybe
Newton ? (Empty spot)
Brisett ? I really hope not
Big Ben ? (Age)
Trubisky / Foles ?
Alex Smith ? (Age)
Matt Ryan ? (Age) Could they swap QBs and 1st rnd picks

My point being, Lions has a QB, that is better than they need in their rebuild.
If it was me, i would problably be looking to trade Goff once more.

What do you think.
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:54 am

ravn88 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 am
ravn88 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:46 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:59 pm

Makes sense as many teams will fill up on rookie QBs or other QBs possibly to be traded like Goff, Jimmy g, wentz, etc. demand could be a lot lower later
There can't go many days before we get som rumors of what teams are in the final run.
That was fast.

Now we know what the Rams thought of Goff, are we sure that, Detroit are keeping him ?

I get the whole bridge-QB-thing, and I agree, but just because the Rams thinks he sucks, dosent mean the rest of the league does.

Is Goff and upgrad for any of these QBs:

Newton ? (Empty spot)
Big Ben ? (Age)
Trubisky / Foles ?
Alex Smith ? (Age)
Matt Ryan ? (Age) Could they swap QBs and 1st rnd picks

My point being, Lions has a QB, that is better than they need in their rebuild.
If it was me, i would problably be looking to trade Goff once more.

What do you think.
Easier said than done. Rams might've had to sweeten the deal to get DET to take on his contract a la Brock Osweiler

I didn't realize Goff had so many defenders...

The Rams basically benched him for John Wofford in the playoffs this year... and it certainly didn't look like they made the wrong decision. I'm much less optimistic about Goff going forward. Looks apathetic to football and unwilling to accept accountability for his struggles. I see Stafford as a massive upgrade over him; Not just as a player but also as a leader.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:16 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:30 pm Well, if you own Stafford, this is as good a landing spot as you could hope for. Gets one of the game's best offensive minds and he'll probably get a new contract as well to keep him there.

I'd still prefer the Detroit side of the deal though
I own Stafford and am about as happy about him going to the Rams as I can be. I can't think of a better realistic landing spot than a place with two great WR, good RB options, a good TE, and a very good OL - not to mention that he not only has a great offensive mind as HC, but a competent coaching staff period. LA is light years ahead of Detroit as being a well run organization.

A better landing spot than Indy, the Giants, Houston, or Washington.

I can't wait for 2021!!!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 am

ravn88 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 am Is Goff and upgrad for any of these QBs:

Newton ? (Empty spot)
Big Ben ? (Age)
Trubisky / Foles ?
Alex Smith ? (Age)
Matt Ryan ? (Age) Could they swap QBs and 1st rnd pick
Taking the last first ...
Matt Ryan: Ryan is twice as good as Goff. No way does Atlanta take on Goff's salary just to downgrade at QB. Detroit would have to toss in at least a 1st to make this trade happen, which wouldn't make sense for a rebuilding Lions team.

Jimmy G: I'd probably rather have Goff, but it's not a slam dunk. Mostly because Jimmy can't stay on the field and has look like bad-Goff sometimes when he's on the field. If the salaries were comparable, maybe. With Goff's salary so high, probably not a good swap.

Brissett: I'd probably rather have Brissett. When he's gotten a chance to play, he looks like he's at least as good as Goff. With Brissett, a team has the hope of upside to come. With Goff, teams know exactly what they're getting and I don't see any possible improvement to come in his play. Give me Brissett and a little more hope.

Ben: Tough call. I think Ben is probably past his "sell-by" date, and is probably going to be worse in 2021 than 2020. The problem is, I don't see Goff as being a guy Tomlin would want. Just seems like a bad fit.

Trubisky: Go with the devil you know. If I'm Chicago, I'm rolling with Trubisky for 2021 to give him one last shot to be consistent. Trading for Goff would be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while the boat is sinking.

Newton: If the trade price is right, I would do this immediately. Cam is sadly no longer worthy of being a starting QB anywhere in the NFL. NE is easily a 10-6 team with a competent risk-averse Goff at the helm. The problem is, even if the trade price is right, Goff's salary will prevent this from every happening. NE doesn't want to pay big money to QBs (to any player, really) and I can't imagine Belichick wanting to make a mediocre QB the highest paid player on the team.

Alex Smith: Alex is a great guy, but he's aging out and probably not able to physically start an entire season. I'd rather have Goff than Alex at QB. But if I'm Washington, there's no way I make this trade unless Detroit is basically giving Goff away. At best, Goff is a stop gap for Washington -- if Goff can't be consistent in LA with that scheme and weapons, can we expect him to prosper with only one WR instead of two great ones, and a lesser scheme? Much better for Washington to get Brissett as a much cheaper trade price and $ amount.

All that said, I like the idea of Detroit trading Goff. They don't need him on a rebuilding team. Maybe they can get Washington to take him. Or maybe Dallas decides not to pay Dak and Jerry takes a run at Goff. Or maybe the Giants would swap Danny Dimes and a 3rd for Goff. If Houston trades Watson elsewhere and does not receive a QB as part of the trade package, I could easily see Goff in Houston. Maybe not for a great haul for Detroit, but for JJ Watt and a 3rd maybe.
Last edited by Anteaters on Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:36 am

Seems like a Rams win, Lions win, Stafford win, Goff loss. I doubt anyone will argue Stafford gives LAR much better chance to win it all and that Detroit got a nice haul for a player that everyone knew was getting traded and was getting traded soon. It seems that McVay probably squeezed the best out of Goff but he did impress me this post season performing as well as he did while playing injured. Pretty sure if they had any other healthy QB on the roster that Goff’s injury was bad enough he would not have played but he stepped up...very Stafford-esque.

For fantasy purposes, all skill positions on offense for the Rams shine a little brighter today.

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:04 am

Anteaters wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 am
ravn88 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:36 am Is Goff and upgrad for any of these QBs:

Newton ? (Empty spot)
Big Ben ? (Age)
Trubisky / Foles ?
Alex Smith ? (Age)
Matt Ryan ? (Age) Could they swap QBs and 1st rnd pick
Taking the last first ...
Matt Ryan: Ryan is twice as good as Goff. No way does Atlanta take on Goff's salary just to downgrade at QB. Detroit would have to toss in at least a 1st to make this trade happen, which wouldn't make sense for a rebuilding Lions team.

Jimmy G: I'd probably rather have Goff, but it's not a slam dunk. Mostly because Jimmy can't stay on the field and has look like bad-Goff sometimes when he's on the field. If the salaries were comparable, maybe. With Goff's salary so high, probably not a good swap.

Brissett: I'd probably rather have Brissett. When he's gotten a chance to play, he looks like he's at least as good as Goff. With Brissett, a team has the hope of upside to come. With Goff, teams know exactly what they're getting and I don't see any possible improvement to come in his play. Give me Brissett and a little more hope.

Ben: Tough call. I think Ben is probably past his "sell-by" date, and is probably going to be worse in 2021 than 2020. The problem is, I don't see Goff as being a guy Tomlin would want. Just seems like a bad fit.

Trubisky: Go with the devil you know. If I'm Chicago, I'm rolling with Trubisky for 2021 to give him one last shot to be consistent. Trading for Goff would be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while the boat is sinking.

Newton: If the trade price is right, I would do this immediately. Cam is sadly no longer worthy of being a starting QB anywhere in the NFL. NE is easily a 10-6 team with a competent risk-averse Goff at the helm. The problem is, even if the trade price is right, Goff's salary will prevent this from every happening. NE doesn't want to pay big money to QBs (to any player, really) and I can't imagine Belichick wanting to make a mediocre QB the highest paid player on the team.

Alex Smith: Alex is a great guy, but he's aging out and probably not able to physically start an entire season. I'd rather have Goff than Alex at QB. But if I'm Washington, there's no way I make this trade unless Detroit is basically giving Goff away. At best, Goff is a stop gap for Washington -- if Goff can't be consistent in LA with that scheme and weapons, can we expect him to prosper with only one WR instead of two great ones, and a lesser scheme? Much better for Washington to get Brissett as a much cheaper trade price and $ amount.

All that said, I like the idea of Detroit trading Goff. They don't need him on a rebuilding team. Maybe they can get Washington to take him. Or maybe Dallas decides not to pay Dak and Jerry takes a run at Goff. Or maybe the Giants would swap Danny Dimes and a 3rd for Goff. If Houston trades Watson elsewhere and does not receive a QB as part of the trade package, I could easily see Goff in Houston. Maybe not for a great haul for Detroit, but for JJ Watt and a 3rd maybe.
I havent look into wheather or not Goff fits with the offense, I just think as a GM at Detroit i would look to pass him on, maybe after the first hit of his salary.

Falcons:
If they are already thinking about the next QB, because of Matt Ryans age, then why not. (Yes he is better no question) but you get a 12-14 year younger QB if you belive he can be better / as good as their SB-run.

For a price that might only be 3 places back in the draft.
Worth a though, but it depends what they think of Matty Ice and their own pick 4 overall.

49'ers:
I would do it, I would say they are in are even worse QB posistion that the Rams, at least Goff is somewhat healty.
Jimmy G is waisting af team ready for a SB run.

Colts:
I really hope my colts have a better plan than paying Brissett, we have already seen that he lack what you need for a deeper Playoff Run.
Stafford was my favourit.

Steelers:
Steelers situations is like 50 % 49'ers and 50% Falcons
They almost have a team in place like the 49'ers.
They have an old QB like the Falcons time to make the swich. I would say it problably is time.

Bears:
Funny, and problably true. Isnt his contract up now?

NE:
Yes, maybe Jimmy G will end up here somehow, maybe through Detroit 😂

WFT:
Their pick is to high, and to many teams looking for a QB, so they need one through FA.
Darnold - Goff - someone else.
Ray Finkle wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:36 am Seems like a Rams win, Lions win, Stafford win, Goff loss.I doubt anyone will argue Stafford gives LAR much better chance to win it all and that Detroit got a nice haul for a player that everyone knew was getting traded and was getting traded soon. It seems that McVay probably squeezed the best out of Goff but he did impress me this post season performing as well as he did while playing injured. Pretty sure if they had any other healthy QB on the roster that Goff’s injury was bad enough he would not have played but he stepped up...very Stafford-esque.

For fantasy purposes, all skill positions on offense for the Rams shine a little brighter today.
Is it just me, or is this also a win for Houston ?
If stafford is worth, 2 first and a mediocre QB, Watson has a bigger contract right.
(I know Watson is a million times better)

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 am

If the Rams had to pay to have the Lions take Goff, why does anyone think someone else will pay to take him? If that was the case the Rams would have just sent Goff elsewhere. The Lions said ‘we don’t want him unless you’re giving us something more to take him.’ If someone else would have said they’d give something for him rather than need something with him to give them incentive to take him, then that’s the route the Rams go.

MAYBE in a year or two when the contract has passed more years and money, and if he’s played well enough (in a tough situation), perhaps they can move him then. The Lions aren’t going to pay to move on from him in the meantime though I wouldn’t think.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:38 am

That's a haul...especially from a team with hardly any picks to start with. I'm shocked, but good for Stafford and good for Detroit.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:55 am

I'm not a believer in Goff or anything, but no way do I think Stafford is 2 firsts and a 3rd better than Goff.

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:43 am

FiremanEd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 am If the Rams had to pay to have the Lions take Goff, why does anyone think someone else will pay to take him? If that was the case the Rams would have just sent Goff elsewhere. The Lions said ‘we don’t want him unless you’re giving us something more to take him.’ If someone else would have said they’d give something for him rather than need something with him to give them incentive to take him, then that’s the route the Rams go.

MAYBE in a year or two when the contract has passed more years and money, and if he’s played well enough (in a tough situation), perhaps they can move him then. The Lions aren’t going to pay to move on from him in the meantime though I wouldn’t think.
Well, ill bet that the problem, wasent getting a team to trade for Goff, I bet the problem was to get a QB back from that same team, that the Rams liked and saw a future with, and that eliminates most teams.

And therefor the Lions held all the cards.

Lets say that one team between the WFT, Colts, 49'ers, NE and Steelers.

I know Big Ben said he will return, but he really shouldn't.

But let say one of these teams or two, didnt get a QB in FA and wasent Abel to trade up for one aswell.

Then after the draft, or during draft day 2, they could trade a 2nd or a future 2nd for Goff.

I dont think that is far fetched.

PPE82
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby PPE82 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:16 am

Where does Stafford rank now for QBs?
Team 1
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-6RB, 2-6WR, 1-5TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Kyler Murray, Rudolph, Brissett, Brady
Keaton Mitchell, scrubs
Jefferson, Lamb, Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Dotson, Josh Palmer, Rashid Shaheed, Toney, Justyn Ross, Metchie, Ronnie Bell
Pitts, Likely
2024 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 2.09, 4.02, 4.12

Team 2
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-5RB, 3-6WR, 1-4TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Lawrence, Richardson, Young, Mac Jones, Lance, Brady, Bennnet, Haener
Bijan, Charbonnet, Strong Jr., scrubs
Wilson, Nacua, Flowers, Downs, Wicks, Renfrow, Ross, Bell, Metchie
Pitts, Woods
2024 Picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 1.11, 3.05, 3.06, 3.09, 4.02, 4.09

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:45 am

ravn88 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:43 am
FiremanEd wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:08 am If the Rams had to pay to have the Lions take Goff, why does anyone think someone else will pay to take him? If that was the case the Rams would have just sent Goff elsewhere. The Lions said ‘we don’t want him unless you’re giving us something more to take him.’ If someone else would have said they’d give something for him rather than need something with him to give them incentive to take him, then that’s the route the Rams go.

Well, ill bet that the problem, wasent getting a team to trade for Goff, I bet the problem was to get a QB back from that same team, that the Rams liked and saw a future with, and that eliminates most teams.

And therefor the Lions held all the cards.

Lets say that one team between the WFT, Colts, 49'ers, NE and Steelers.

I know Big Ben said he will return, but he really shouldn't.

But let say one of these teams or two, didnt get a QB in FA and wasent Abel to trade up for one aswell.

Then after the draft, or during draft day 2, they could trade a 2nd or a future 2nd for Goff.

I dont think that is far fetched.
I mean, you trade for Stafford, since he was clearly available, and you trade Goff separately, if he is in fact desirable to other teams. It doesn’t need to be a QB swap. They included Goff here as the avenue to move him, and it has been reported they had to pay extra to do so. If you’re paying for Detroit to take him, just pay less to Detroit and take the profit on the team that wants Goff. Let’s not pretend Goff being available was a secret. Interested teams would have reached out by now, similar to Stafford and Watson. This was the deal available to the Rams...and they had to pay extra to do it.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 pm

This is interesting-
Rotoballer wrote:Playing from behind in Detroit was the frequent script for Stafford.

Career Splits when Trailing: 2090 for 3372, 24500 yards and 144 TDs.

Career Splits When Ahead: 1011 for 1062, 11408 and 77.

Those type of situations seem less likely in Los Angeles. Goff had 946 attempts when leading and 1000 when trailing during his Rams tenure.
Based on these numbers, Stafford was more efficient when ahead. Any loss of garbage time might not be a concern. Stafford per attempt-
When trailing- 7.26 yards, 0.046 TDs
When ahead- 10.74 yards, 0.072 TDs

Those Goff career numbers would be interesting in Fisher/McVay splits.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:03 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 pm This is interesting-
Rotoballer wrote:Playing from behind in Detroit was the frequent script for Stafford.

Career Splits when Trailing: 2090 for 3372, 24500 yards and 144 TDs.

Career Splits When Ahead: 1011 for 1062, 11408 and 77.

Those type of situations seem less likely in Los Angeles. Goff had 946 attempts when leading and 1000 when trailing during his Rams tenure.
Based on these numbers, Stafford was more efficient when ahead. Any loss of garbage time might not be a concern. Stafford per attempt-
When trailing- 7.26 yards, 0.046 TDs
When ahead- 10.74 yards, 0.072 TDs

Those Goff career numbers would be interesting in Fisher/McVay splits.
He had a 95% completion rate when ahead??

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:26 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:55 am I'm not a believer in Goff or anything, but no way do I think Stafford is 2 firsts and a 3rd better than Goff.
If they win a title it is worth that and then some. I like t see a team go for it and that is what they are doing. May not be the wisest move but it is bold.

No question its a high price but the Rams had to pay to get out of that contract which still has a lot of money guaranteed. The picks should be late and the Rams don't seem to value those picks like some teams.

Think it is a win win given the Rams obviously didn't believe Goff had the goods to get them a title.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts