Dwayne Haskins - signed by Steelers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dwayne Haskins - signed by Steelers

Postby Prison_Mike » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 am

I'm not great at evaluating QBs (don't really know what to look for beyond the stats)

So I'm looking to get some info from those of you that are better at analyzing and/or have watched more of The Football Team's games. I have watched approximately zero

From a prospect profile standpoint, I see that similar to Burrow, he broke out late but had 1 huge season (which was his ONLY productive season due to redshirt and sitting behind Barrett)

Was average at best last season but has had very little to work with outside of McLaurin

So...

- Is he someone worth investing in? (relative to his low cost)
- Do you think he's likely to be a long-term starter?
...Is he good, bad, or somewhere in between?

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Is Dwayne Haskins good?

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:13 am

Prison_Mike wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 am I
- Is he someone worth investing in? (relative to his low cost)
- Do you think he's likely to be a long-term starter?
...Is he good, bad, or somewhere in between?
I think acquiring a starting NFL QB with an improved offense for virtually nothing always makes sense
No, I don't see him as a long term andswer
Somewhere in between

my two cents
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 am

Physically and based on college production, there are no red flags there other than maybe velocity, but that’s a questionable metric where they seem to constantly be changing how they measure, but I’m not interested. He’s already changing systems which means he’s learning new plays and playcalling language rather than working on fundamentals. This will set him back and Washington is not a team known for patience, so they’ll likely give up on him before he’s able to put it together,
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:09 pm

I worry that Washington will have a tough a time passing on a QB prospect in the 2021 draft, given the expectations of where they will be selecting and the prospects expected to be available. I’m just not sure Haskins, if he doesn’t show noteworthy improvements (including taking them out of premium pick locations), will justify not taking one. The chips aren’t in his favor to accomplish that given the system change, reduced offseason, and limited weapons. Will he get another chance? Maybe, but it won’t be a starting job being handed to him.

He’s got a tough hand to deal with. I’m not buying given those who did likely want to hang on rather than sell at the rate I’d need to invest (I’m also not doing startups this offseason, so all current league investments).

raiders444
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby raiders444 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:04 pm

I've actively been hating on this guy ever since he renegged on his commitment to Maryland to go to THE Ohio State University. OSU steamrolled most opponents and behind that O-line he was rarely pressured. The throws i saw were mostly to wide open receivers who ran a lot of dig routes and screens, and then did all the YAC work themselves, so I do think his yardage and TD totals were grossly inflated. I think he has the size and probably the arm strength, but unsure if he has the accuracy needed
Team 1 - 16 TEAM PPR - 1 QB / 2 RB / 3 WR / 1 TE / 1 D/ST / 1 K
QB: Lamar Jackson, Malik Willis, Sam Howell
RB: Saquon Barkley, Ken Walker, Michael Carter, Khalil Herbert, Keontay Ingram
WR: Chris Godwin, Christian Kirk, Josh Palmer, Terrace Marshall, Christian Watson, John Metchie, Mack Hollins
TE: Kyle Pitts, Chiggie Okonkwo
K: Justin Tucker
D/ST: Titans, Falcons

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:48 pm

There wasn't much working in his favor in Washington last season outside of McLaurin. They didn't really improve their offensive personnel in the offseason either and he's getting a new OC. So, your guess is as good as anyone's.

He was very good in college though.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 pm

I think he has all the tools to be a competent and viable NFL starting QB, and perennial top 16 type fantasy QB. I worry more about the organization he plays for wrecking his confidence and potential, they clearly don’t know how to handle a potential franchise QB. Not to mention all the added drama this offseason has mixed in.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:11 pm

Was not a fan of his mobility in college and despite his stellar stats I thought his accuracy was very hit or miss. Did not see much of him in the NFL but not surprised that he got off to a slow start.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Personally I don't think so

But he showed some improvement at the end of the year and looked more confident in the pocket

Then again that was against awful defenses and even with improvement he would still be pretty bad so I do think the Skins ultimately take a QB next year

But if he improves, the OL is somewhat decent and a non McLaurin guy steps up he has a chance at least

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 pm

He has talent and potential, but he probably needs to take a massive step forward this year because otherwise Washington will be drafting high, and I don't think they pass on Lawrence, Fields or Trey Lance if they are in position to do so.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:26 pm

Sounds like Alex Smith is back from the dead as well...
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:45 pm

Not really.

He could/ should develop but sure looks a bit slow to read defenses at this point. Lucky to have a future star at WR.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Keep in mind in College Haskins ran Burrow out of town. He transferred to LSU because Haskins beat him out.It happened so I think if Burrow is this amazing thing Haskins managed to look good enough the coaches went with him over Burrow and I hear they are ok coaches over there. I only state this because many forget it.

His rookie season was bad and he looked overwhelmed and unprepared. At one point AP reportedly had to help him call plays in the huddle and a heart to heart happened after that game. Haskins wasn't putting in the work assuming it would come easy like college and it didnt. The second half of the season he looks totally different, progressions proper reads and adjustments, he looks like a NFL QB. Week 11 and on he looked like he should, a rookie QB learning on a team protecting him with its play calling. Weeks 14 and 15 he looked like a true starter.

He only won 2 games but he improved to where he really should have been at season start. Some of that is poor coaching but most of it is on him. He admitted to it and is supposedly been very active understanding the new offense at its most base level. So at his price get him, trade for him its worth the risk because he has the tools to be the guy, if he manages to do it time will tell.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Haskins beat out Burrow because Burrow got hurt, which elevated Haskins to #2 in 2017. The the starter JT Barrett got hurt against Michigan, and Haskins came in and led them to a victory in The Big House. After that of course Haskins has the leg up in the competition for the starting spot the next year, and Burrow transfers early on when it's clear he won't get the job. Had Burrow not gotten hurt he could have won that game too and solidified himself as the starter for 2018, or if Barrett hadn't gotten hurt Burrow would have still been the #2 and the favorite to be the starter going into 2018. Haskins didn't "run Burrow out of town", the circumstances just broke in his favor (and ended up working out just fine for Burrow in the end too) which is part of the game of football. Countless players get their breaks from the guy ahead of them getting hurt, or never get the opportunity because someone is ahead of them.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/re ... ing%20ball.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:34 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:12 pm Haskins beat out Burrow because Burrow got hurt, which elevated Haskins to #2 in 2017. The the starter JT Barrett got hurt against Michigan, and Haskins came in and led them to a victory in The Big House. After that of course Haskins has the leg up in the competition for the starting spot the next year, and Burrow transfers early on when it's clear he won't get the job. Had Burrow not gotten hurt he could have won that game too and solidified himself as the starter for 2018, or if Barrett hadn't gotten hurt Burrow would have still been the #2 and the favorite to be the starter going into 2018. Haskins didn't "run Burrow out of town", the circumstances just broke in his favor (and ended up working out just fine for Burrow in the end too) which is part of the game of football. Countless players get their breaks from the guy ahead of them getting hurt, or never get the opportunity because someone is ahead of them.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/re ... ing%20ball.
Spot on.
Tom Brady possibly never would have gotten a fair chance if Drew Bledsoe didn’t go down. Without that injury, once Bledsoe retired, they would have likely brought someone else in via a high pick or a free agent or trade. They likely wouldn’t have moved on to a low draft pick backup QB.