Fournette - what to do with him

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Fournette - what to do with him

Postby _yeti » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 am

I am wondering if Fournette is too tall to play NFL RB, but Latavius Murray is like 3 inches taller than him. Murray is leaner and tries less to bang, though he takes on contact. Did Fournette think he was going to bully the NFL bc that hasn't happened. Low man wins in football and though the sweet spot for RBs seems to be like 5'10 or 5'11 Fournette always seems slow and too high to play as strong as he wants to.

Genuinely curious if others agree with this or what their thoughts are on it
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Wizard
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wizard » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:46 am

_yeti wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:17 am
Mjvb5 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:27 am
SteelLake wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:00 am He’s always been a subpar player in an elite FF situation. Odds of that striking twice are low. I think he’s become the worst FF type:

Not good enough to get value back or to start
Too much hope to cut
Yup, if you can get something for him take it and grab someone with real upside
This is definitely it. Own him in a couple leagues and have probed for trades and I think the most anyone would give up is two 2nds. Might just have to be a hold and maybe he will have some kind of late career resurgence.

If Legarrette Blount could be so successful late in his career maybe Fournette can too. You would think he could do more. He's definitely more physically gifted but less durable and seems to still see himself as the guy he was drafted to be and not what he's actually done
I think I would be really grateful to get 2 seconds for him
QB -Tom Brady, Nick Foles Deshaun Watson

RB - Kenyan Drake, Darrius Guise, Tevin Coleman, Leonard Fournett, Kareem Hunt, Justin Jackson, Jaylen Samuels, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson Jr., Jordan Wilkins, CJ Anderson, Chris Warren,

WR - Davante Adams , T.Y. Hilton, Courtland Sutton, Devin Funchess, Doug Baldwin, Michael Crabtree, Antonio Callaway, J’Mon Moore, Dylan Cantrell, Keith Kirkwood, James Richie

TE - Zach Ertz, Harris Demetrius, Hayden Hurst

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:04 am

_yeti wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 am I am wondering if Fournette is too tall to play NFL RB, but Latavius Murray is like 3 inches taller than him. Murray is leaner and tries less to bang, though he takes on contact. Did Fournette think he was going to bully the NFL bc that hasn't happened. Low man wins in football and though the sweet spot for RBs seems to be like 5'10 or 5'11 Fournette always seems slow and too high to play as strong as he wants to.

I tend to agree that 5'10 and 5'11 is the sweet spot for RB. But being 6'0 shouldn't be a problem. I mean Henry is 6'3

I think it's his mindset and I doubt he ever gets a feature role

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:05 am

_yeti wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 am I am wondering if Fournette is too tall to play NFL RB, but Latavius Murray is like 3 inches taller than him. Murray is leaner and tries less to bang, though he takes on contact. Did Fournette think he was going to bully the NFL bc that hasn't happened. Low man wins in football and though the sweet spot for RBs seems to be like 5'10 or 5'11 Fournette always seems slow and too high to play as strong as he wants to.

The Great Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, and Derrick Henry probably think fantasy football players do not understand that it isn't height but talent and desire that makes for a good NFL player. On the other side the Great Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders probably don't think height matters either.

It is time for the fantasy community to come to grips with this fact regardless if it's a RB or WR.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:37 am

NFL has basically told you what Fournette is. When he was available in trade, the Jaguars received little to no interest and that's with the 5th year contract declined. When he was cut, he received very little interest still. During the season, he was very up and down, mostly down.

I think his best season was his 3rd year, but even then, it wasn't enough to make teams think twice.

I would sell for what you can get. Sure, maybe there's a chance that he has a randomly solid season in the next few years, but that's not worth holding to see. He's underachieved significantly as a pro and there's no sign that's changing. I don't think he's walking into a starting role next year. He's basically a little better than what Todd Gurley has become.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:49 am

In terms of fantasy, he was a producer based on volume. His 2 best seasons he touched the ball 300+ times. Give any RB in the league that many touches in a season and they are going to be an RB1. Its really as simple as that.

Piggybacking off the above, judging by little interest in him across the league, I doubt he ever sees anything close to that volume again. Therefore I see him as a roster clogger and would be ecstatic to move him for anything of value.

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:19 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:05 am

The Great Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, and Derrick Henry probably think fantasy football players do not understand that it isn't height but talent and desire that makes for a good NFL player. On the other side the Great Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders probably don't think height matters either.

It is time for the fantasy community to come to grips with this fact regardless if it's a RB or WR.
I think you misunderstand what I was saying, that's why I mentioned Murray. Murray and Henry are both much leaner than him regardless of the amount of weight they are carrying. I am saying bullying people at the NFL at his size isn't working and would work better at 5'10. I think if he lost a solid 10-15 pounds focusing on all speed, agility, and cardio he would be a significantly better back and would still be solid at 6 ft 210/215. He has more talent than he has shown.

As to the desire part, that's why I mentioned him still thinking he was the back he was drafted to be as opposed to guys who fight for their spot. I don't think he thinks he needs to make any drastic changes to his game, physique, or speed/quickness. Speed and lateral quickness can be improved by anyone at any level as long as they are young enough but he doesn't think he needs to do that. Look up how much of a gym rat Austin Ekeler is, anyone think Fournette puts work like that in?

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:43 pm

I cannnot wait until Fournette comes back strong next year. I think its funny how people turn their nose up to a RB who caught 76 passes last year and has shown high scoring potential. Ronald Jones out touched Fournette 220 to 133 and yet the TD split is 8 to 6 AND Fournette has more catches in 1 less game. He is better than Ronald Jones.....period.

Players like Fournette act out when the team sucks. I remember when people downgraded Randy Moss before he went to the Patriots because of his behavioral issues.....I remember buying Randy low that off season....WOOF! Rode that puppy to a championship. I think many of you are in for a rude awakening if Fournette lands in a solid spot.

I would hold him if you have him. And buy him if you can get him for cheap.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:56 pm

_yeti wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 am I am wondering if Fournette is too tall to play NFL RB
No, 6ft is a completely reasonable height.

Over 6ft
Derrick Henry
Joe Mixon
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon
David Johnson
LeVeon Bell
DeMarco Murray
Arian Foster
Matt Forte
Adrian Peterson
Steven Jackson

6ft
Antonio Gibson
Saquon Barkley
Leonard Fournette
Ezekiel Elliot
Carlos Hyde
Ryan Matthews

As per the topic, Idk what happened to him but he is not the same player he was in college. I'm guessing some combination of injuries and work ethic. Watching him his last year in Jax, his vision was terrible as well. He just lowers his head and just runs into piles. I bailed where I could this past year.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:34 pm

Maybe playing in JAX for so long broke his spirit.

jman3134
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jman3134 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:06 pm

Any chance he returns with TB? If so, I am buying.
12 team, 35 man rosters, 1/2 PPR, 10 round rookie/FA draft
Qb: Geno Smith, Matthew Stafford, Trey Lance
Rb: Jonathan Taylor, Joe Mixon, Austin Ekeler, Saquon Barkley, Cam Akers, Isiah Pacheco, Jeff Wilson, Chase Edmonds, Pierre Strong, Jordan Mason, Jaleel McLaughlin
Wr: DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Diontae Johnson, Darnell Mooney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Jakobi Meyers, Laviska Shenault, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Denzel Mims, Richie James, Michael Wilson, Demario Douglas, Trent Sherfield
Te: George Kittle, Darren Waller, Taysom Hill, Isaiah Likely
K:
D: Dallas D

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:53 am

_yeti wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:19 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:05 am

I think you misunderstand what I was saying, that's why I mentioned Murray. Murray and Henry are both much leaner than him regardless of the amount of weight they are carrying. I am saying bullying people at the NFL at his size isn't working and would work better at 5'10. I think if he lost a solid 10-15 pounds focusing on all speed, agility, and cardio he would be a significantly better back and would still be solid at 6 ft 210/215. He has more talent than he has shown.

As to the desire part, that's why I mentioned him still thinking he was the back he was drafted to be as opposed to guys who fight for their spot. I don't think he thinks he needs to make any drastic changes to his game, physique, or speed/quickness. Speed and lateral quickness can be improved by anyone at any level as long as they are young enough but he doesn't think he needs to do that. Look up how much of a gym rat Austin Ekeler is, anyone think Fournette puts work like that in?
Thinking at the NFL level you put the work in or you're out. Fournette is a good player. Never really thought he was a great player but many drafted him thinking he was in fantasy and the Jags certainly thought he would be great.

Don't think it is a size issue with him. I do think expectations should be reset to a degree. I own him in a few leagues. He is a a solid volume back and pretty good on 3rd down. He certainly helped Tampa this past week.

Not sure it is a fair comment to think he doesn't put in the work. He is a very different player than Ekeler. Looks like a different body type as well. That said, I suspect not too many have Ekeler's drive from what I have read.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:43 pmI think many of you are in for a rude awakening

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:05 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:56 pm
_yeti wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:22 am I am wondering if Fournette is too tall to play NFL RB
No, 6ft is a completely reasonable height.

Over 6ft
Derrick Henry
Joe Mixon
Todd Gurley
Melvin Gordon
David Johnson
LeVeon Bell
DeMarco Murray
Arian Foster
Matt Forte
Adrian Peterson
Steven Jackson

6ft
Antonio Gibson
Saquon Barkley
Leonard Fournette
Ezekiel Elliot
Carlos Hyde
Ryan Matthews

As per the topic, Idk what happened to him but he is not the same player he was in college. I'm guessing some combination of injuries and work ethic. Watching him his last year in Jax, his vision was terrible as well. He just lowers his head and just runs into piles. I bailed where I could this past year.
You removed all context and misquoted me as if I didn't immediately in the same sentence say that wasn't the issue.

I also clarified what I was saying prior to you posting this list.

_yeti wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:19 pm

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:14 am

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:53 am Thinking at the NFL level you put the work in or you're out. Fournette is a good player. Never really thought he was a great player but many drafted him thinking he was in fantasy and the Jags certainly thought he would be great.

Don't think it is a size issue with him. I do think expectations should be reset to a degree. I own him in a few leagues. He is a a solid volume back and pretty good on 3rd down. He certainly helped Tampa this past week.

Not sure it is a fair comment to think he doesn't put in the work. He is a very different player than Ekeler. Looks like a different body type as well. That said, I suspect not too many have Ekeler's drive from what I have read.
He is definitely carrying a little extra weight and could be leaner. That extra 10 or 15 pounds is giving him less pop and making him slower. For comparison look at the leanness of Chris Carson vs Fournette with similar body types. Carson has much more pop than Fournette though I think Fournette could have as much if he trimmed down a little.

"Specifically, Garofolo uncovered that Fournette has been constantly late to things, puts in sub-par work, and sleeps through meetings. He even found that Fournette sometimes needed to be woken up after falling asleep during team meetings."

"Leonard Fournette didn't work out once during his team's bye week.

Didn't lift a weight. Didn't use resistance bands. Didn't even hit a treadmill. Nothing at all.

"I laid in bed, ate gumbo, [and] went on dates with my daughter and my son and we chilled," he said.

It was a well-deserved break, and pretty much the only one that Fournette has taken since the 2018 season ended. His commitment and work ethic are two of the biggest factors in Fournette's turnaround from a player who many thought was a bust after last season to one with nearly 1,000 yards rushing already this season.

That includes keeping a strict watch on his diet and weight. Fournette gained 17 pounds during the 2018 season, but has pretty much maintained his weight around 223 pounds this season. But, he says, it has not been easy."