Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Way too Early 2021 Draft Thread

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 pm

jjleurquin wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 pm Wow I think a lot of you are overlooking the most important factor of his pro day. He’s 5’7. Have we ever seen a WR succeed at this height? He seems to profile as a gadget/return guy at this point so the upside isn’t really there.
He's also a freak athlete and stronger than a lot of players who are taller than him. I'll keep saying it, but this isn't the NFL of the 80s and 90s. Shorter players have more ways to succeed and make up the height difference.

Cole Beasley is 5'8, not overly talented, and almost caught 1000 yards last season.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:26 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 pm
jjleurquin wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:53 pm Wow I think a lot of you are overlooking the most important factor of his pro day. He’s 5’7. Have we ever seen a WR succeed at this height? He seems to profile as a gadget/return guy at this point so the upside isn’t really there.
He's also a freak athlete and stronger than a lot of players who are taller than him. I'll keep saying it, but this isn't the NFL of the 80s and 90s. Shorter players have more ways to succeed and make up the height difference.
Oh don’t get me wrong I think he’ll succeed. He’s just not gonna be a guy you want in fantasy. Gadget/return role isn’t very valuable unless you reward return yards in your league. He falls to the end of the 2nd tier of WRs for me which is ~early 3rd in SF. The upside just isn’t there.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:28 pm

jjleurquin wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:26 pm
Oh don’t get me wrong I think he’ll succeed. He’s just not gonna be a guy you want in fantasy. Gadget/return role isn’t very valuable unless you reward return yards in your league. He falls to the end of the 2nd tier of WRs for me which is ~early 3rd in SF. The upside just isn’t there.
It could be. There are gadget guys in the NFL succeeding at a high level. Stefon Diggs and Tyreek Hill both entered the NFL with the ability to play all over the field. It's just another word for versatility.

I think "gadget guy" gets too much of a bad rep on here, because when people hear that, they instantly think of someone like Tavon Austin who couldn't lineup as a receiver and win on a route to save his life despite having speed for days.

When in actuality, players like Diggs, Hill, A. Brown, Cobb, McCaffery, Harvin, etc. were/are gadget players.
Last edited by Cameron Giles on Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 pm

His size will hurt some in the fantasy community but location will be critical.

I have a 1st round grade on him but it’s in the 10-12 range in one QB leagues

In IDP and SF I have a 2nd round on him.

I agree he may not last until round 2. Not worried about his size so much but there is going to be injury risk. The system will matter most to me.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 pm

I agree he may not last until round 2. Not worried about his size so much but there is going to be injury risk. The system will matter most to me.
I've had him as a Top 3-5 pick for a few years now in this class, but injuries hurt him and will be a concern. He's basically been hurt the last couple of seasons. I agree that his landing spot is critical, because not every OC can maximize a player like Moore.

But talent, skill, and production wise, he is among the best in the class at his position.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:43 pm

:thumbup:
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:31 pm

I've had him as a Top 3-5 pick for a few years now in this class, but injuries hurt him and will be a concern. He's basically been hurt the last couple of seasons. I agree that his landing spot is critical, because not every OC can maximize a player like Moore.

But talent, skill, and production wise, he is among the best in the class at his position.
Agree! 👍

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Najee not working out either.

Probably smart he looks like a 4.6+ kinda guy.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:28 pm
It could be. There are gadget guys in the NFL succeeding at a high level. Stefon Diggs and Tyreek Hill both entered the NFL with the ability to play all over the field. It's just another word for versatility.

I think "gadget guy" gets too much of a bad rep on here, because when people hear that, they instantly think of someone like Tavon Austin who couldn't lineup as a receiver and win on a route to save his life despite having speed for days.

When in actuality, players like Diggs, Hill, A. Brown, Cobb, McCaffery, Harvin, etc. were/are gadget players.
I don’t remember diggs being proclaimed a gadget guy and we know fast players get compared to hill every year but don’t end up being the same. Harvin is the only one in that group who would truly be a gadget guy. But mentioning versatility isn’t a very good argument to make on a guy with one of the lowest ADOTs in recent memory.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Even in SF, let’s say you had him behind all 5 QBs, the top 2 RBs, Chase, Smith, Waddle, and Pitts, that’s still 1.12. Maybe Bateman goes ahead of him too and he’s there at 2.1 in 12 teamers, but I wouldn’t bank on being able to draft Rondale at a pick later than a very early 2nd in SF.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 pm

That make sense but do think at least 3 RB’s go before him in many drafts and there is usually a high pick at WR or QB that could push his stock down.

A lot depends on where he actually gets drafted.

GB, Bills, Panthers would improve his stock

Jets, Miami, Ravens, Steelers, And a host of others may hurt his stock.

His injury history will also be a factor. Think he may be a very league dependent pick.

I do agree early 2nd is probably worst case today but it’s early.

On a side note I am starting to think Harris will fall at RB

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:21 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm Even in SF, let’s say you had him behind all 5 QBs, the top 2 RBs, Chase, Smith, Waddle, and Pitts, that’s still 1.12. Maybe Bateman goes ahead of him too and he’s there at 2.1 in 12 teamers, but I wouldn’t bank on being able to draft Rondale at a pick later than a very early 2nd in SF.
I'll bet at least 3 RB going in front of him and maybe more depending on landing spots, 5 QB seems likely, 4+ WR, and Pitts. That puts him in the early 2nd range. If it's a must start 2 TE league, that puts 2 more TE in the mix. 10 team leagues etc.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby Kcarr » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:24 pm

I didn't say it was the right or wrong choice, but there were questions about DKs ability to separate coming out and though he is a better wr and a true specimen I haven't ever seen him prove himself as a better separator in the NFL. If you were scouting that class though and looking for the guys most able to separate I could see the eval leaving you with the browns at that point. Then from there if you were to ask who has more big play ability between those top 2, again, with info available on draft day, I think saying Hollywood had the edge there is not absurd. Now with hindsight we can say the other 2 turned out better but is that a product of them being better or of their situation being better.

As for the need for precision throws the deeper the throw and the more separation you have the less you need precision because there is more room to adjust. Obviously in every situation more accuracy is better but in contested situations or situations with less air time on the ball the need for precision and the difficulty to adjust is even more.

Again, not saying I think it was the right choice or that I think Hollywood is the better wr, in fact the only place I own him is an orphan I took over this spring. Just saying I understand their logic behind the pick. Also, would hate any good possession guy going there. It would probably be a solid pick from a team management standpoint but given lamar's struggles as a thrower I don't see it working out well, I think they are better off with high variance plays like brown
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Who is your "guy" for this upcoming rookie class?

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:12 pm

Brown is significantly better than many think around here IMO. I Think he breaks out this year as both He and Lamar improve.

The end.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:15 pm

jjleurquin wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:28 pm

I don’t remember diggs being proclaimed a gadget guy and we know fast players get compared to hill every year but don’t end up being the same. Harvin is the only one in that group who would truly be a gadget guy. But mentioning versatility isn’t a very good argument to make on a guy with one of the lowest ADOTs in recent memory.
Diggs freshman season at Maryland: 54 receptions, 20 rushes

Moore's freshman season at Purdue: 114 receptions, 21 rushes

Good offensive coordinators find ways to get the ball in the hands of their best players. Purdue's QB play blows, so they manufacture touches close to the line of scrimmage to minimize error and get Moore the ball. That's why his aDOT is low. It's not low because he can't run routes and get open.

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Tarik Cohen usage in the right offense makes him useful but hardly a rd 1 guy. Tyreek / Tarik type and should be somewhere in between