2020-21 Coaching/FO carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: 2020-21 Coaching/FO carousel

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:14 am Arthur Smith has been offered by the Falcons.

I really don't like the Saleh hiring by the Jets. Nothing against him at all, but he better hit a homerun with his OC/QB coach hire.

I actually thought Saleh made a lot of sense for the Falcons and that Arthur Smith made a lot of sense for the Jets, but I guess that shows how much I know.
And why would anyone choose the Jets over the Falcons?
I said I thought Smith made a lot of sense for the Jets, moreseo than Saleh. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that there was any sort of suggestion that the Jets is a better job than the Falcons but ok.

My reasoning behind my statement is that the Jets are either trying to fix Darnold or they are drafting the future QB and Smith did a pretty good job with Tanny. I think he will do well with Matt Ryan and that offense in Atlanta, but the Falcons have been plagued by poor defense more than poor offense. Which is why I thought Saleh would be a better fit in Atlanta based on what is holding that team back. But just to be clear; I think the Atlanta job is a much better job than the Jets

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:09 pm
nathanq42 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Justin fields, big market, the chance to turn around a dumpster fire, and a lot of cap space seems like a pretty compelling story. Obviously you'll have to be agreeable with the GM and share the same vision/strategy, but I think it would be fun, kind of like when you take over a garbage orphan team in dynasty to build it all back up from scratch.
At this point, they're more likely than not to stick with Sam Darnold.

We're talking about their careers not a Dynasty team. If they fail for whatever reason that greatly increases the chance they get fired and it's a black mark on their resume for future HC opportunities.
Fair point, could also be a huge plus and earn them a fat contract if they can pull it off.

And if not they will still manage to find work in the old boys club of the NFL, Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell, and Marvin Lewis all still have jobs (not high profile HC jobs, but they are likely still making more money than you or I combined)
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:28 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:14 am Arthur Smith has been offered by the Falcons.

I really don't like the Saleh hiring by the Jets. Nothing against him at all, but he better hit a homerun with his OC/QB coach hire.

I actually thought Saleh made a lot of sense for the Falcons and that Arthur Smith made a lot of sense for the Jets, but I guess that shows how much I know.
I said I thought Smith made a lot of sense for the Jets, moreseo than Saleh. Not sure how you came to the conclusion that there was any sort of suggestion that the Jets is a better job than the Falcons but ok.

My reasoning behind my statement is that the Jets are either trying to fix Darnold or they are drafting the future QB and Smith did a pretty good job with Tanny. I think he will do well with Matt Ryan and that offense in Atlanta, but the Falcons have been plagued by poor defense more than poor offense. Which is why I thought Saleh would be a better fit in Atlanta based on what is holding that team back. But just to be clear; I think the Atlanta job is a much better job than the Jets
Arthur Smith is probably the 2nd most sought after HC candidate (behind Daboll) so it just seemed natural that both the Jets and the Falcons offered him the job and he simply chose the better option. So it's not as if the Jets actually had a choice in the matter. ATL has reportedly offered him the job, but I suspect he's waiting to see what the Chargers are doing before he accepts.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:18 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Arthur Smith is probably the 2nd most sought after HC candidate (behind Daboll) so it just seemed natural that both the Jets and the Falcons offered him the job and he simply chose the better option. So it's not as if the Jets actually had a choice in the matter. ATL has reportedly offered him the job, but I suspect he's waiting to see what the Chargers are doing before he accepts.
But nobody has reported that the Jets even offered Smith the job in the first place. It seems like you are doing a whole lot of speculating

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:18 pm

But nobody has reported that the Jets even offered Smith the job in the first place. It seems like you are doing a whole lot of speculating
Tis the season

There's also no report saying the Jets chose Saleh over Smith

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Justin fields, big market, the chance to turn around a dumpster fire, and a lot of cap space seems like a pretty compelling story. Obviously you'll have to be agreeable with the GM and share the same vision/strategy, but I think it would be fun, kind of like when you take over a garbage orphan team in dynasty to build it all back up from scratch.

We're talking about their careers not a Dynasty team. If they fail for whatever reason that greatly increases the chance they get fired and it's a black mark on their resume for future HC opportunities.
No, they really aren't lmao

Might as well bring Gase back if their bright idea is to stick with Darnold

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:52 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:51 pm

No, they really aren't lmao

Might as well bring Gase back if their bright idea is to stick with Darnold
Look.. I don't agree with the decision.. but that's what the guys who are locked into the NFL sphere are saying. The NFL as a whole is not as high on Fields and Wilson as the fantasy community. Both are very talented but have massive flaws that they may or may not clean up at the NFL level.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:48 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:17 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:18 pm

Tis the season

There's also no report saying the Jets chose Saleh over Smith
http://www.espn.com/video/clip/clip?id=30714859

That clip says Saleh was the top choice. Combined with the fact that he was the first candidate to receive a second interview with the Jets it sure seems like Saleh was their guy.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Forgive me if I don't have any confidence in what a beat reporter says about the HC their team just hired. Arthur Smith was one of the hottest HC'ing candidates in the NFL getting interviewed by every single HC vacancy.

Coincidence that they hired Saleh right after they interviewed Smith and a day before ATL hired Smith? Or did they have in an inkling that he was going to go elsewhere and secured their 1b/2 candidate? Who knows.. but like you said Smith would've made a better choice given their team's issues and Smith was probably the hotter name.

We'll never know exactly what the Jets were thinking here. We're all speculating

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:30 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:00 pm Forgive me if I don't have any confidence in what a beat reporter says about the HC their team just hired. Arthur Smith was one of the hottest HC'ing candidates in the NFL getting interviewed by every single HC vacancy.

Coincidence that they hired Saleh right after they interviewed Smith and a day before ATL hired Smith? Or did they have in an inkling that he was going to go elsewhere and secured their 1b/2 candidate? Who knows.. but like you said Smith would've made a better choice given their team's issues and Smith was probably the hotter name.

We'll never know exactly what the Jets were thinking here. We're all speculating
Why are you acting like Saleh wasn't a hot name? He interviewed for just about every vacancy this offseason and he got plenty of pub last year as well. He isn't some re-tread hire.

You asked for a report, I provided, then you say you don't trust it. Which was what I figured you would say anyway based on past dialogues here. You don't have to be correct on every single thing man. It's ok. Sometimes you take the L and move on. That's life.

I get that we are all speculating here, but there is plenty more evidence to suggest Saleh was indeed their top choice than not. At some point you just take the overwhelming evidence at face value and roll with it instead of trying to fit it into your preferred narrative.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:30 pm
Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:00 pm Forgive me if I don't have any confidence in what a beat reporter says about the HC their team just hired. Arthur Smith was one of the hottest HC'ing candidates in the NFL getting interviewed by every single HC vacancy.

Why are you acting like Saleh wasn't a hot name? He interviewed for just about every vacancy this offseason and he got plenty of pub last year as well. He isn't some re-tread hire.

You asked for a report, I provided, then you say you don't trust it. Which was what I figured you would say anyway based on past dialogues here. You don't have to be correct on every single thing man. It's ok. Sometimes you take the L and move on. That's life.

I get that we are all speculating here, but there is plenty more evidence to suggest Saleh was indeed their top choice than not. At some point you just take the overwhelming evidence at face value and roll with it instead of trying to fit it into your preferred narrative.
Alright, the NYJ's beat reporter said the HC that was hired was their #1 candidate from the very beginning! after the fact!

Too much “overwhelming evidence” Gimme the L :lol:

I should probably mention that it's entirely possible that Saleh was their #1 choice. They wanted a CEO, "Leader of men" type and fell in love with his infectious enthusiasm. It's also possible they chose him because Smith had a better gig lined up. Doesn't really matter since we'll never know... I just wanted to throw it out there that I believed Smith was the more sought after name and he likely chose a better coaching position (instead of just assuming the Jets chose a weird fit). Maybe I could've used softer language, but we somehow always get into a mini debate when we have dissenting opinions :think: As an aside, do you still think my caution with CEH was unfounded? Do you still believe the NFL has figured out Lamar?

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:14 am I really don't like the Saleh hiring by the Jets. Nothing against him at all, but he better hit a homerun with his OC/QB coach hire.
Mike LaFleur. I love it.

Shanny was always going to run his own plays in SF, so it makes sense to go and spread your wings as LeFleur. From our point of view, I can't think of many better OC's you could steal (without it being a lateral-only move) coming from Shanahan's system and the Lafleur school of offensive thought (those guys all flock together along with McVeigh etc).

That's two great hires by Joe Douglas imo. He's doing good things over there... could be a quicker turnaround than we think.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:16 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am
azthecrow wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 am Urban Meyer to Jags. Any news/speculation on moves he may make?
He will have a good start there with Trevor Lawrence. What about other positions? I’m concerned more now with what will happen with James Robinson.
Why would this cause you to be worried about Robinson?
Ice wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:17 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:19 pm
I've been confused how Joe Brady could go from OC in college to NFL OC to NFL HC. Don't see how his performance in Carolina makes him a strong fast track candidate.

Can't believe Pederson got fired, but it seems a better way to rehab Wentz.
Kliff Kingsbury has volunteered to explain this when he gets a chance. :D
I don't think Kingsbury is the back up Brady wants in this argument, lol. "Give me what I want and I'll give you mediocre results!" Woohoo?
While the comment was in jest to a degree, the reality a NFL coach is a CEO type.

Brady was a hot commodity because he was the man behind Burrow if you will.
Kliff was the man behind Mahomes.

These two are very good offensive minds.

Kliff was fired at Tech, took a job as O coordinator at USC, never served as the Cards hired him. Kliff is a creative mind with leadership traits.

Brady brought an offense never seen to LSU, won a title, went to NFL and actually had the Panthers competitive.

Brady may be a very good NFL coach. He is a creative mind. Not sure he has leadership skills but some team will give him a chance.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:47 am

I might be more interested in seeing what Tennessee does after losing Arthur Smith than his impact on joining the Falcons.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:33 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:47 am I might be more interested in seeing what Tennessee does after losing Arthur Smith than his impact on joining the Falcons.
I definitely think Smith was getting the absolute most out of the Tannehill / Henry / AJB combination. It will be interesting to see if whoever comes in next messes with that formula drastically.

Tannehill is not the keystone to a pass-first offense, in my humble opinion. He benefits greatly from executing a play action / run heavy scheme.