General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: 2020-21 Coaching/FO carousel

Postby jenkins.math » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:30 pm
Sriracha wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:00 pm Forgive me if I don't have any confidence in what a beat reporter says about the HC their team just hired. Arthur Smith was one of the hottest HC'ing candidates in the NFL getting interviewed by every single HC vacancy.

Coincidence that they hired Saleh right after they interviewed Smith and a day before ATL hired Smith? Or did they have in an inkling that he was going to go elsewhere and secured their 1b/2 candidate? Who knows.. but like you said Smith would've made a better choice given their team's issues and Smith was probably the hotter name.

We'll never know exactly what the Jets were thinking here. We're all speculating
Why are you acting like Saleh wasn't a hot name? He interviewed for just about every vacancy this offseason and he got plenty of pub last year as well. He isn't some re-tread hire.

You asked for a report, I provided, then you say you don't trust it. Which was what I figured you would say anyway based on past dialogues here. You don't have to be correct on every single thing man. It's ok. Sometimes you take the L and move on. That's life.

I get that we are all speculating here, but there is plenty more evidence to suggest Saleh was indeed their top choice than not. At some point you just take the overwhelming evidence at face value and roll with it instead of trying to fit it into your preferred narrative.
Alright, the NYJ's beat reporter said the HC that was hired was their #1 candidate from the very beginning! after the fact!

Too much “overwhelming evidence” Gimme the L :lol:

I should probably mention that it's entirely possible that Saleh was their #1 choice. They wanted a CEO, "Leader of men" type and fell in love with his infectious enthusiasm. It's also possible they chose him because Smith had a better gig lined up. Doesn't really matter since we'll never know... I just wanted to throw it out there that I believed Smith was the more sought after name and he likely chose a better coaching position (instead of just assuming the Jets chose a weird fit). Maybe I could've used softer language, but we somehow always get into a mini debate when we have dissenting opinions :think: As an aside, do you still think my caution with CEH was unfounded? Do you still believe the NFL has figured out Lamar?
For your asides, I think your takes on both guys are very prisoner of the moment. Outside of 2 runs against the Titans Lamar wasn't anything special but they won so kudos to him and the Ravens. Weird flex acting like Lamar torching the Jags, Giants, and Bengals is something unexpected and somehow shows anything other than those teams are awful. You "having caution" isn't your stance on CEH, its much lower than that, but you like to move the goalposts any time there is pushback on any stance you take and then reframe it but thats cool. I think he will be fine and have no issue with anybody that took him at the 1.01. Ive never seen a rookie RB with 1100 total yards in 13 games be labeled as trash by as many as CEH but everyone is entitled to their opinions, good or bad.

Back on topic, I think its very possible the Jets liked the Saleh and Lafleur package vs Smith and whoever will be his DC. Im really curious to see who Smith rounds his staff out with to be honest. The Titans defense was awful this year so its not like there are some really obvious choices from his former team to take with him. Thats also the only organization he has been with so its not like he has an extensive list of coaching connections.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:27 pm

You really like that "moving the goalpost" rhetoric. :lol:

Go back and check the CEH and the JT thread. I don't think he's trash, at all.. just not as talented as the other top RBs of this draft class which puts him in danger of losing the workload he needed to reach his marginal yards from scrimmage totals his rookie year. This potential downside was seen twice this year when the Chiefs were looking at Fournette/Bell and realized once already in his career.

Now.. I've definitely been dead wrong before like I was with Josh Allen and I had no problem admitting I was wrong about him as early as 3 games into this season. But I brought those two up because I find it comical that the past two discussions where you thought you made an airtight case and I was "grasping at straws" and "moving goalposts" to defend my position have turned out to be more correct than not. But you do you, man. :thumbup:

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:26 pm

Here's a name that I haven't heard in a while. Ohhhhh the dynasty potential #ThrowbackThursday2010

Jets hired Miles Austin as WRs coach.

An offensive quality control coach, Austin worked alongside Saleh with the 49ers in 2019 before spending 2020 out of the league. Still only 36 years old, Austin will provide a recent perspective to a promising but unproven Jets receiver corps, one highlighted by second-year pro Denzel Mims. Ausin experienced some high highs and low lows during his 10-year career, seeing it all as a Pro Bowler and chronic injury sufferer

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:00 pm

From a fantasy perspective, none of these hires are overly exciting. Smith to Atlanta may be the most interesting one. The Eagles hire is confusing.

Looks like Bienemy and Brady could both end up staying put.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:09 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:00 pm The Eagles hire is confusing.
Could be way off base here, but I first thought of the "Carson Wentz misses Frank Reich" narrative when I heard they nabbed the Colts OC. Obviously Reich isn't going to leave the Colts to join PHI so they chose the next-best-thing (?) his OC.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:37 pm

jordanzs wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:26 pm Here's a name that I haven't heard in a while. Ohhhhh the dynasty potential #ThrowbackThursday2010

Jets hired Miles Austin as WRs coach.

An offensive quality control coach, Austin worked alongside Saleh with the 49ers in 2019 before spending 2020 out of the league. Still only 36 years old, Austin will provide a recent perspective to a promising but unproven Jets receiver corps, one highlighted by second-year pro Denzel Mims. Ausin experienced some high highs and low lows during his 10-year career, seeing it all as a Pro Bowler and chronic injury sufferer
Nice, didn’t catch this hire.

I could easily see him becoming a solid positional coach. Worked his way up the ladder as a small school undrafted guy, why not on this side of it?
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:00 pm From a fantasy perspective, none of these hires are overly exciting. Smith to Atlanta may be the most interesting one. The Eagles hire is confusing.
Disagree on "none of these". Sharp fantasy players should have an eye on the Jets right now... I'll stop banging this drum soon, I swear, but-

Quickest ways to turn a team around:
1. Install league-average (or better) Coaching
2. Install league-average (or better) Quarterback Play
3. Fire Adam Gase

Jets are 3/3 on that front, and I like the Mike LaFleur hiring as OC. He's another from the tree of McVay - the LaFleurs and him all run in the same circles, and he's just spent 3-4 years as Shanahan's understudy/OC in SF. He, uh... may just have some ideas, offensively speaking.

I would be sneakily buying the interesting Jets right now if I were you... Denzel Mims specifically, and to a lesser extent, Herndon. And if Watson ends up going to the Jets, as Richard Sherman has counselled him? Then we sound the mf-ing alarm, and good luck buying then.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:14 pm

Anthony Lynn as Lions OC...pretty good for Swift I would think

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:14 pm Anthony Lynn as Lions OC...pretty good for Swift I would think
No Stafford and no Golladay would have me worried as a Swift owner. Feeling a bit better about taking Dobbins over him as of the moment.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:35 pm

mild wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:14 pm Anthony Lynn as Lions OC...pretty good for Swift I would think
No Stafford and no Golladay would have me worried as a Swift owner. Feeling a bit better about taking Dobbins over him as of the moment.
Yeah that post was before I saw about Stafford

Maybe it helps Hockenson then (if Golladay is indeed gone)

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:36 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:35 pm

I think whoever is left will get plenty of opportunity in garbage time passing game script - but the reality is, the team will be incredibly bad without Stafford and Golladay. The Coaching hires do not inspire me with any confidence... this is going to be the Lions of yore that we all know and love.

Detroit allowed the second highest point total in the history of the league this past season. They were saved some indignity by heroically awful teams in the Jets, Jaguars, and the NFC East - they should have been a bigger story, but if only for the fact that this is all so very predictably Detroit, and very very boring. The only X-factor that might remotely save them in 2021 will be the new QB selection.

I might end up being wrong, but at this point, I won't be holding my breath for MAN Campbell and Anthony Lynn to develop a rookie with a severely depleted roster moonlighting as a professional Detroit sports team. Let's not forget that Lynn was 3-9 with a stacked Chargers squad that was playoff-eliminated before December and their meaningless win streak. He's not going to be blessed with an abundance of talent to waste in Detroit, that's for sure. But hey, at least they gave MAN Campbell 6 years, I'm sure he'll figure it out... :roll:

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:03 pm

mild wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:36 am
StripesOfKC wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:35 pm

I think whoever is left will get plenty of opportunity in garbage time passing game script - but the reality is, the team will be incredibly bad without Stafford and Golladay. The Coaching hires do not inspire me with any confidence... this is going to be the Lions of yore that we all know and love.

Detroit allowed the second highest point total in the history of the league this past season. They were saved some indignity by heroically awful teams in the Jets, Jaguars, and the NFC East - they should have been a bigger story, but if only for the fact that this is all so very predictably Detroit, and very very boring. The only X-factor that might remotely save them in 2021 will be the new QB selection.

I might end up being wrong, but at this point, I won't be holding my breath for MAN Campbell and Anthony Lynn to develop a rookie with a severely depleted roster moonlighting as a professional Detroit sports team. Let's not forget that Lynn was 3-9 with a stacked Chargers squad that was playoff-eliminated before December and their meaningless win streak. He's not going to be blessed with an abundance of talent to waste in Detroit, that's for sure. But hey, at least they gave MAN Campbell 6 years, I'm sure he'll figure it out... :roll:
From seeing the Campbell intro presser this is going to either be a home run hire or a complete and utter disaster the level of Millen

And yeah--the Tampa game the day after Christmas is what I imagine the Lions would have looked like with no Stafford some of these years

I don't mind Campbell's coordinator hires though (even Lynn) and John Dorsey in the FO as something besides a GM is great for them. It'll still be a while before any results come in (if ever) but I see some signs of positivity

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am

jaguars appoint brian schottenheimer as pass-game coordinator

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:37 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am jaguars appoint brian schottenheimer as pass-game coordinator

:wall: :wall: :doh: :doh: :wall: :wall: :doh: :doh: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am jaguars appoint brian schottenheimer as pass-game coordinator
Him, Gase, and Gregg Williams are the kings of staying employed despite consistently bleep results