Conditional Draft Pick Trading

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Re: Conditional Draft Pick Trading

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Downfalls outweigh the reward IMO. It takes one mistake by an owner and it’s a headache, when in reality you can easily complete trades without these extra components adding complexity. I enjoy trade conversations, but am not overly interested in adding another variable into them and then having to monitor the availability of my pick(s) involved in these, or other owners who more often than not are less detailed than I am. I can happily settle for offers to and from and avoid the extra headaches.

If you have the right group of people and you outline all the requirements accordingly, then by all means I can see it working out and being an interesting tweak. It’s just not something I’d personally want to add to my portfolio.

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:50 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:27 pm Nothing wrong if it's in the rules. Never allowed in the leagues I ran or played in because it's too much work for the Commish.

Herding the Cats is hard enough for the Commish is my take. Owners should just make a deal with compensation or not IMO.

If I had to do it then compensation would be strictly NFL performance based on the NFL regular season and conditional picks would only be for the better. IE a 2nd would turn into a 1st if Beasley hit 1000 yards receiving. It must be simple.

Picks going the other way would raise collusion concerns.
The last constraint seems unnecessary to me. Couldn’t you just always phrase it so the pick improves based on X instead of dropping based on Y?

So if someone offered a trade of a 1st for Beasley that downgrades to a 2nd if he doesn’t hit 1000 yards receiving, it’d break your rule, but it’s exactly the same as an offer of a 2nd that improved to a 1st if he does hit the yard threshold.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:00 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:49 pm Downfalls outweigh the reward IMO. It takes one mistake by an owner and it’s a headache, when in reality you can easily complete trades without these extra components adding complexity. I enjoy trade conversations, but am not overly interested in adding another variable into them and then having to monitor the availability of my pick(s) involved in these, or other owners who more often than not are less detailed than I am. I can happily settle for offers to and from and avoid the extra headaches.

If you have the right group of people and you outline all the requirements accordingly, then by all means I can see it working out and being an interesting tweak. It’s just not something I’d personally want to add to my portfolio.
I agree. Two years ago in my main league I was in charge of manually tracking conditional trades as our platform had no way to do this (pick swaps, upgrades in picks, additional picks, etc.). I don’t know what initially started this as conditions added to pick trades didn’t come about until year 3 or so of the league but two owners began adding conditions to inconsequential late round picks on almost every trade. Eventually conditions overlapped and it became a nightmare. We switched platforms from ESPN to Sleeper, which also doesn’t have conditional trading options, but because pick trades could be done in the system our commish wisely put an end to conditional pick trading.

Like Ed said, you’d need to have very committed conscientious league mates to make this work.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:20 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:00 pm
FiremanEd wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:49 pm Downfalls outweigh the reward IMO. It takes one mistake by an owner and it’s a headache, when in reality you can easily complete trades without these extra components adding complexity. I enjoy trade conversations, but am not overly interested in adding another variable into them and then having to monitor the availability of my pick(s) involved in these, or other owners who more often than not are less detailed than I am. I can happily settle for offers to and from and avoid the extra headaches.

I agree. Two years ago in my main league I was in charge of manually tracking conditional trades as our platform had no way to do this (pick swaps, upgrades in picks, additional picks, etc.). I don’t know what initially started this as conditions added to pick trades didn’t come about until year 3 or so of the league but two owners began adding conditions to inconsequential late round picks on almost every trade. Eventually conditions overlapped and it became a nightmare. We switched platforms from ESPN to Sleeper, which also doesn’t have conditional trading options, but because pick trades could be done in the system our commish wisely put an end to conditional pick trading.

Like Ed said, you’d need to have very committed conscientious league mates to make this work.
I think you guys are overthinking it, its not difficult to keep track of at all. The key is just finding a system that's easy to use. conditions are something that shouldn't take up more than an hours worth of time in a season.

I will say, if your just using the site to complete your trades than it obviously becomes more difficult to track. But we post our trades in our group chat, and don't even use the site to track picks (we draft manually)

If you don't like the idea of conditions, that's fine. But to reason it because its too much work is just wrong imo
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:50 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:03 pm If it's allowed and rules for it are completely spelled out in the bylaws then it's fine.

If it's not specified or poorly worded it shouldn't be utilized.

It's a tricky setting to do right, but I'm sure there are leagues out there that do it successfully.
I think this is the right answer. Having said that, I do not and would not allow it in my leagues because MFL doesn't have a system for it and I'm not keeping track of it. being a commissioner is hard enough.
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 pm

I didn’t say it’s too much work, though I do think that adding it as a variable to any trade negotiation is unnecessary given trades can be completed easily and in volume without adding them into the equation. My prior comment was that in my opinion they are a risk that outweigh the benefit. Tracking isn’t an issue, but one owner or league oversight becomes one to unravel (ie. Conditional pick X gets traded and not noticed for weeks).They are 100% doable, so long as there is monitoring and quality owners. It’s just not something that I would be looking to add to my league portfolio.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:50 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:27 pm Nothing wrong if it's in the rules. Never allowed in the leagues I ran or played in because it's too much work for the Commish.

Herding the Cats is hard enough for the Commish is my take. Owners should just make a deal with compensation or not IMO.

If I had to do it then compensation would be strictly NFL performance based on the NFL regular season and conditional picks would only be for the better. IE a 2nd would turn into a 1st if Beasley hit 1000 yards receiving. It must be simple.

Picks going the other way would raise collusion concerns.
The last constraint seems unnecessary to me. Couldn’t you just always phrase it so the pick improves based on X instead of dropping based on Y?

So if someone offered a trade of a 1st for Beasley that downgrades to a 2nd if he doesn’t hit 1000 yards receiving, it’d break your rule, but it’s exactly the same as an offer of a 2nd that improved to a 1st if he does hit the yard threshold.
Like I said, I would not have this type of trade as an option in the first place. BTW you would now be forcing 2 picks from being traded in your scenario. Is that really a good idea?

I get it sounds fun but in fantasy football it will limit trading and any mistake would in fact result in even more work.

Anyone that wants to do it is certainly welcome. No issues in the concept provided the the rules are clear.

I don't recall ever seeing a NFL trade where the compensation was lowered after the trade. In the NFL they start with lowest acceptable then they can move based on performance.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:15 pm

It's rare and I agree that it's something that could get out of hand rather quickly to track. I have traded before and stated that the 1st is protected against being the 1.01, and if the pick becomes 1.01 they then get xyz pick instead. Again, that's tracked within the trade commentary and it's up to each owner to manage and make sure it's followed properly.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

jgoodie24
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jgoodie24 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 pm

I think the OP hit it the nail on the head with the 3 types of conditional trades. My league has used all three and I have not had difficulty tracking them as commish. We've used a public spreadsheet to track trades and conditions from the beginning and we do a manual draft on a spreadsheet so that probably makes it easier.

That said, I set limits early on about how far out picks could be traded (2 drafts into the future) and requirements that the language be clear so I can process the conditions without much effort. I can also see how a very active league or one with a large appetite for conditionals could get out of hand. Looking through our trade history, I think my league has had a grand total of about 50 trades in 7 years so it's not like a lot of moves are being made for me to track.

Not sure if it helps at all but here are examples of the text on conditional trades from years past in my league:

"Conditional pick is a 2020 4th round that becomes a 3rd round if Hyde finishes ranked as a top 30 RB in 2019. Pick becomes a 2nd round if Hyde finishes as a top 15 RB in 2019. Rankings based on total fantasy points."

"Conditional pick is A's 2019 1st if conditions are not met for it to go to M (see trade on line 23 above). If the pick does go to M, then A will send his 2019 2nd and Dede Westbrook to K.
Riverside Van Dwellers - 2021 Champion
10 Team, 0.5 PPR:
starts 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 D/ST, 1 K
12 bench, 4 IR, 3 Redshirts (2 yr limit)

QB: T. Brady, J. Garoppolo
RB: D. Singletary, D. Swift, CEH, J. Cook, J. Warren, J. McKinnon
WR: C. Kupp, T. Higgins, K. Allen, DeVonta Smith, G. Davis, A-R St. Brown, A. Pierce
TE: T. Higbee, TJ Hockenson
K: T. Bass, B. Maher
D/ST: Pit, Ind, LAR
IR: Marquise Brown
Redshirt: D. Ridder, K. Williams

2023 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4x2
2024 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Huh, interesting.

I’d have expected this forum to be dang near unanimously opposed to this. Woulda been wrong!

I’ve only had one league where these have happened, and I’d say it was kind of a toss up. Fun vs extra work. I don’t feel like I need to explain that further.

If the commish is up to it, and rules are clear and everything is disclosed, have at it.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:15 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:20 pm
jcc6fd wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:00 pm

I think you guys are overthinking it, its not difficult to keep track of at all. The key is just finding a system that's easy to use. conditions are something that shouldn't take up more than an hours worth of time in a season.

I will say, if your just using the site to complete your trades than it obviously becomes more difficult to track. But we post our trades in our group chat, and don't even use the site to track picks (we draft manually)

If you don't like the idea of conditions, that's fine. But to reason it because its too much work is just wrong imo
I guess I’m lazy or stupid or both. It probably took a couple of hours to work through all of our conditional trades and I didn’t like doing it. Not even a crazy volume but when you have an owner who has acquired 4 3rds and then trades them each at different times with conditions like player B will get the worst of the 3rds I own, you have to map out the timing of each trade and interpret the condition such that each owner is getting what they expect.

For the record this is a friends league and I fully trusted all the owners.

I guess I’d suggest having clear rules on what types of conditions are allowed and how they are tracked and traded subsequently, i.e how and can a pick that was part of an earlier conditional trade is handled.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:06 pm

I’m not opposed to it in principle, but it would require way more time and effort than I’m willing to dedicate as a commish, and I consider myself a pretty dedicated commish. If MFL implemented a way to “tag” specific picks/players with a note that would pop up when processing trades, then I’d be open to the idea. As it stands, it’s just a can of worms I have no interest in opening.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm

One question I would have is whether those in favor feel that it actually drives more trades. I’d argue it doesn’t, both due to the fact that trades can undoubtedly cover the value of the conditions being added with other value of a similar risk, and due to the incremental haggling it could drive into a discussion that’s unnecessary. If I know my assets I can make an offer, accept or decline and it is final. With conditions, it’s open ended, and suddenly all sorts of other variables are added unnecessarily.

Is the concept cool? Yes, in theory it is. I just don’t know if it actually adds value to a league instead of potentially over complicating it. (My opinion of course. I acknowledge the uniqueness of it and that many would feel it is a value add, similar to the real NFL. Many non-IDP players may say the same about IDP!)

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm One question I would have is whether those in favor feel that it actually drives more trades. I’d argue it doesn’t, both due to the fact that trades can undoubtedly cover the value of the conditions being added with other value of a similar risk, and due to the incremental haggling it could drive into a discussion that’s unnecessary. If I know my assets I can make an offer, accept or decline and it is final. With conditions, it’s open ended, and suddenly all sorts of other variables are added unnecessarily.

Is the concept cool? Yes, in theory it is. I just don’t know if it actually adds value to a league instead of potentially over complicating it. (My opinion of course. I acknowledge the uniqueness of it and that many would feel it is a value add, similar to the real NFL. Many non-IDP players may say the same about IDP!)
I would say that I don't think it drives the raw number of trades up, however I do think it makes more owners willing to trade. There are always owners that are skeptical when it comes to trades, with conditions those owners would be more willing to make a move
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones
Bench:
QB: Mac Jones/Bryce Young
RB: Zeke/D. Harris
WR: N. Brown/Demario Douglas/Bobby Trees/Parker/Tyler Scott
TE: Bellinger/Schultz
DL: Barrett/J. Davis/Yannick/
LB: Milano/Edwards/K. Murray/J. Smith
DB: Mathieu/Jonothan Owens

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:26 pm

ThunderTung wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pm
FiremanEd wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm One question I would have is whether those in favor feel that it actually drives more trades. I’d argue it doesn’t, both due to the fact that trades can undoubtedly cover the value of the conditions being added with other value of a similar risk, and due to the incremental haggling it could drive into a discussion that’s unnecessary. If I know my assets I can make an offer, accept or decline and it is final. With conditions, it’s open ended, and suddenly all sorts of other variables are added unnecessarily.

I would say that I don't think it drives the raw number of trades up, however I do think it makes more owners willing to trade. There are always owners that are skeptical when it comes to trades, with conditions those owners would be more willing to make a move
Interesting. I hadn’t considered that, so good comment. I imagine they’ll still be limited traders regardless, but an extra chance to hedge I suppose.