Austin Ekeler is still undervalued

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Austin Ekeler is still undervalued

Postby mild » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:08 pm

This man deserves his own thread. He is a truly dominant fantasy player in PPR, and somehow, is still slept on by the community at large - at least as far as the usual hype trains are concerned. Consider the following stat:

"CMC had six games with 9+ receptions last year. There are seven other seasons all-time where an RB had only four such games. Austin Ekeler has hit the mark three times in his seven games this year."

And now add:
- He was second only to C-Mac in RB receptions last year
- He will be on the Chargers for the next four years with that contract extension
- He will play with Herbert - possibly a top 5 dynasty QB already - for the entirety of Herbert's rookie contract, when the roster is juiced
- His skillset will arguably last longer thanks to his ability to run routes and play in 2-back sets, and he is still just 25
- Bonus - He is an absolute gym rat and one of the biggest SPARQ freaks in the NFL. I love guys that work as hard as this on their body and their game.

If you're looking for a dynasty purchase for a 3 year contention window in a PPR format, he is as sharp a purchase as there is.

*JJ Zachariason voice* "Buy Austin Ekeler"

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Austin Ekeler is still undervalued

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:02 pm

He'll always be undervalued because he's already in his prime, he came into the league with no pedigree, and he's yet to have a 1,000 yard rushing season. He's Sproles-ish without the fanfare.

But, because he's affordable/underpriced, his owners aren't selling, because his production will always be greater than his trade value.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:05 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:02 pm He'll always be undervalued because he's already in his prime, he came into the league with no pedigree, and he's yet to have a 1,000 yard rushing season. He's Sproles-ish without the fanfare.

But, because he's affordable/underpriced, his owners aren't selling, because his production will always be greater than his trade value.
You probably aren't wrong. Not sure I've ever seen him traded in my leagues.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:09 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:05 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:02 pm He'll always be undervalued because he's already in his prime, he came into the league with no pedigree, and he's yet to have a 1,000 yard rushing season. He's Sproles-ish without the fanfare.

Yep, no reason to. At best you might get a late 1st? And in PPR, his production is so much better than that.

I thought he was a sell before the season, because we've seen RBs flash with great receiving seasons before and having Tyrod at RB usually isn't good for an RB's receiving value. But, Herbert and his surprising early production has re-established his floor.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:16 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:09 pm Yep, no reason to. At best you might get a late 1st? And in PPR, his production is so much better than that.

I thought he was a sell before the season, because we've seen RBs flash with great receiving seasons before and having Tyrod at RB usually isn't good for an RB's receiving value. But, Herbert and his surprising early production has re-established his floor.
I'd go just one step further to the bolded - Herbert has actually *raised* Ekeler's floor.

Last offseason, the chatter was "the future is uncertain with Rivers, with Melvin Gordon, with his contract, with any potential future QB they bring in" - and it certainly looked grim when it was Tyrod as the QB1. But each successive question has been answered, and answered emphatically. Rivers moved on, Chargers rewarded Ekeler over Gordon, he has another 3.5 years of job/institutional security, and Herbert might be the most exciting QB in dynasty outside of Mahomes and perhaps maybe Josh Allen (if you squint hard enough).

Ekeler's actual fantasy value and future outlook is actually much higher than it was this time last year. You might not see him traded as the main piece, but if I could swing a trade with any non-contenders holding Ekeler who are ageing out - and give them throw-in ancillary younger pieces in exchange for Ekeler being put in the deal - then I would jump on that, stat.

He really is mini-McCaffrey at a fraction of the price... except with a drastically better QB.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:09 pm
Yep, no reason to. At best you might get a late 1st? And in PPR, his production is so much better than that.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one owner in every league who'd pay more than a late 1st for Ekeler. I paid Kupp and an early 2nd for him right before he came back from IR and I'd be happy to do it again. He's only got 371 career carries so I don't think it's crazy to think he'll last longer than a more classic RB type, and I think he's got a great rapport with Herbert. In the 5 games where both Ekeler and Herbert started and finished this season, Ekeler has 4, 11, 16, 9 and 9 targets (average: 9.8).
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:15 am

mild wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:16 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:09 pm Yep, no reason to. At best you might get a late 1st? And in PPR, his production is so much better than that.

I'd go just one step further to the bolded - Herbert has actually *raised* Ekeler's floor.

Last offseason, the chatter was "the future is uncertain with Rivers, with Melvin Gordon, with his contract, with any potential future QB they bring in" - and it certainly looked grim when it was Tyrod as the QB1. But each successive question has been answered, and answered emphatically. Rivers moved on, Chargers rewarded Ekeler over Gordon, he has another 3.5 years of job/institutional security, and Herbert might be the most exciting QB in dynasty outside of Mahomes and perhaps maybe Josh Allen (if you squint hard enough).

Ekeler's actual fantasy value and future outlook is actually much higher than it was this time last year. You might not see him traded as the main piece, but if I could swing a trade with any non-contenders holding Ekeler who are ageing out - and give them throw-in ancillary younger pieces in exchange for Ekeler being put in the deal - then I would jump on that, stat.

He really is mini-McCaffrey at a fraction of the price... except with a drastically better QB.
Great post and I totally agree. Ekeler is criminally “under-valued” and being tied to Herbert, I don’t see his value going down any time in the near future, assuming health, of course.

boochluke
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby boochluke » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:07 am

I agree wholeheartedly with everything in OP's post. In the league I own him everyone undervalues him (not that I want to trade him anyway), but I've been calling him mini-mac for over a year now.
Team 1
10 team 1QB, PPR, shallow roster
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX
QB: Josh Allen, Trey Lance
RB: Swift, Dobbins, Gibson, Javonte, Damien Harris
WR: DJM, Lamb, Higgins, Chase, Waddle, Eli Moore
TE: Pitts

Team 2
10 team 1QB, .5TEP, IDP, PPR deep roster
1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1LB, 1DB, 1idpFLEX
QB: Dak, Darnold
RB: JT, Mixon, Gibson, Javonte, Pollard, Mattison, Eli Mitchell, Penny
WR: AJB, Aiyuk, Woods, Sutton, D Smith, Eli Moore, Terrace M, Mooney, Mims, Toney, Gabe Davis, Nico Collins, Amon-Ra
TE: Goedert, Kmet, Trautman
LB: Tremaine Edmunds, Deion Jones, Jamin Davis
DB: Derwin James, Jabrill Peppers[/size]

dynastyfan43
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby dynastyfan43 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:52 am

hoos89 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:16 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:09 pm

I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one owner in every league who'd pay more than a late 1st for Ekeler. I paid Kupp and an early 2nd for him right before he came back from IR and I'd be happy to do it again. He's only got 371 career carries so I don't think it's crazy to think he'll last longer than a more classic RB type, and I think he's got a great rapport with Herbert. In the 5 games where both Ekeler and Herbert started and finished this season, Ekeler has 4, 11, 16, 9 and 9 targets (average: 9.8).
This right here. I got him in a package trade (Golladay, 21 1st for Ekeler and Higgins) right before he came back from IR and couldn't be happier. Go get him if the owner is sleeping!!!
Equipmonk Managers
Team, PPR, Roster: 21+5 IR (4 COVID only) + 4 Taxi (2 year)
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 FLEX, K, DST

QB: Josh Allen
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Austin Ekeler, Kenyan Drake, Chase Edmonds, Mike Davis, JD McKissic, Carlos Hyde, Tarik Cohen, JaMychal Hasty
WR: Deandre Hopkins, Keenan Allen, Tee Higgins, DJ Moore, Keke Coutee, Anthony Miller, Quez Watkins, Marquez Callaway
TE: Hunter Henry, Irv Smith Jr, Dawson Knox
K:
DST: Chi Bears

Taxi: Bryan Edwards, Quintez Cephus, Anthony Gandy-Golden

Picks Held:
2021: 2nd (mid), 2nd (early)
2022: None
2023: 3rd

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:25 am

I got him for Juju straight up earlier this year right after Ekeler's injury. Ekeler got me into the playoffs and onto the 2nd round, I'm happy with the deal.