Do the loved ones in your life understand how crazy we dyno people are?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Do the loved ones in your life understand how crazy we dyno people are?

Postby SteelLake » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 am

Does anyone else find it almost weird to talk about FF in their daily lives? Basically everyone loves FF, and will say “me too!” if mentioned, but once you start talking about it to nearly anyone (and they start wondering if they should pick up that “new guy on the Rams”, that you’ve been following for 3 years) it becomes clear you basically don’t play the same game. Then you don’t want to sound like an elitist prick over a silly fake football game, so find yourself saying uh-huh, yea that’s great!

Talking to my gf about her league, her telling me how crazy competitive it is / how into it the guys are, I take a look and see a run of K’s going in round 8, way overvalue of qb, etc etc etc.

Just became curious if I’m the only one that has these moments lol.
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Do the loved ones in your life understand how crazy we dyno people are?

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am

Oh yes, I've been there. Like you, I don't want to sound like a jerk, so I keep it topical and agree with whatever they have to say. They just want to keep it fun. I really enjoy when someone you'd never expect is now in a fantasy league.

A few years ago I was asked to sub in the draft for a league at my company. The CEO & several directors were in it! It was cool.

I've found that dynasty football has ruined yearly and even keeper leagues for me. I still have two keeper leagues to keep tight with the people in them, but they're back burner to my dynasties.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:04 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am Oh yes, I've been there. Like you, I don't want to sound like a jerk, so I keep it topical and agree with whatever they have to say. They just want to keep it fun. I really enjoy when someone you'd never expect is now in a fantasy league.

A few years ago I was asked to sub in the draft for a league at my company. The CEO & several directors were in it! It was cool.

I've found that dynasty football has ruined yearly and even keeper leagues for me. I still have two keeper leagues to keep tight with the people in them, but they're back burner to my dynasties.
Haha, yea, same on the ruining other formats. I’m in a family redraft league, just because it’s a fun way to keep in touch with family members (there’s also “joint owners” where the younger person controls team entirely, but older gets surprisingly invested in light trash talk). From a competitive perspective though, redraft just doesn’t do it for me though
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances

2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances

Dar's Outcasts
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:31 am

Part of my friend group is in dynasty, as well, so I have people I can discuss with. Others, though, and yeah I'm on the same page with you. It's just different. Like any other skill or hobby, there's only so much you can talk about with others who aren't as into it.

I find I do better in redraft. It's a lot simpler and I don't have to worry about longevity. In dynasty I'm always too worried about my team in 3 years.

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:36 am

dynastyninja wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:31 am Part of my friend group is in dynasty, as well, so I have people I can discuss with. Others, though, and yeah I'm on the same page with you. It's just different. Like any other skill or hobby, there's only so much you can talk about with others who aren't as into it.

I find I do better in redraft. It's a lot simpler and I don't have to worry about longevity. In dynasty I'm always too worried about my team in 3 years.
Huh, I actually never made that connection. The guy who likes to take his RV to the state park for a weekend, probably won’t have too much to talk about with the guy hiking the Appalachian trail.
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances

2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances

Dar's Outcasts
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:48 am

dynastyninja wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:31 am Part of my friend group is in dynasty, as well, so I have people I can discuss with. Others, though, and yeah I'm on the same page with you. It's just different. Like any other skill or hobby, there's only so much you can talk about with others who aren't as into it.

I do worse in redraft. Can't help going after rookies & potential. Can't get out of the dynasty mentality.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:54 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:48 am

I do worse in redraft. Can't help going after rookies & potential. Can't get out of the dynasty mentality.
Yea, it’s definitely something I have to fight myself from doing. It’s bizarre seeing such highly valued dyno guys on waivers. My redraft theory (not very unique), is to ignore all dyno thoughts with starting lineup and a couple bench spots, then go all in on long shot potential studs for rest of bench
Last edited by SteelLake on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances

2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances

Dar's Outcasts
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 am

I've got maybe one or two friends that also play dynasty football. Like others have said, with non fantasy players or even redrafters we don't talk much about strategy but more just current NFL/college news. Fortunately there is plenty to talk about these days.

I figure I can spend my downtime looking at football news while they are reading the trash on Facebook.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am Oh yes, I've been there. Like you, I don't want to sound like a jerk, so I keep it topical and agree with whatever they have to say. They just want to keep it fun. I really enjoy when someone you'd never expect is now in a fantasy league.

I'd agree. I've learned to not spout out about the AJ Dillon's of the world because 99% of fantasy players couldn't care less...

I definitely have made mistakes in redraft before due to dyntasy tendencies. Heck, in the beginning of dynasty I was making mistakes due to redraft. However, I've learned that knowing more about the younger/depth players typically helps. I took this year off of redraft due to covid but... Going into last year, not many everyday fantasy players were up on the DJM and Ridley's as they were rookies the past year. I usually value these guys a bit higher because I know they have the potential to break out and they were going in the 4th and 5th rounds? Sign me up.

I try to stay away from rookies going very early, especially WR/TE. But there's nothing wrong with taking a flier on some guys or picking them up midseason after someone else drops the inevitably struggling rookie.

I think waivers are way easier and I worry less about my end of bench in redraft because the leagues are so much smaller.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:56 am

CGW wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:55 am I figure I can spend my downtime looking at football news while they are reading the trash on Facebook.
So true

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:01 am

RE: redraft

I also have a difficult time with redraft now and have phased it out... it's a different discussion than dynasty all together.

I quit my last redraft this year as I can't handle the pure luck aspect of it. Who ever has the best draft and has the least injuries wins. Even in the years I won, it was purely because I drafted a late round breakout or two that hit and stayed healthy. There's no long term consequence or benefit to any decision you make. You could probably teach my 4 year old how to win in redraft if you gave him a good draft ranking sheet and showed him how to use the app to set a lineup weekly.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:15 am

SteelLake wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 am Does anyone else find it almost weird to talk about FF in their daily lives? Basically everyone loves FF, and will say “me too!” if mentioned, but once you start talking about it to nearly anyone (and they start wondering if they should pick up that “new guy on the Rams”, that you’ve been following for 3 years) it becomes clear you basically don’t play the same game. Then you don’t want to sound like an elitist prick over a silly fake football game, so find yourself saying uh-huh, yea that’s great!

Talking to my gf about her league, her telling me how crazy competitive it is / how into it the guys are, I take a look and see a run of K’s going in round 8, way overvalue of qb, etc etc etc.

I can definitely relate to this.
My wife likes to hear the happenings of my main league in some detail. She doesn't try to fake interest (because she's not interested in the actual football), but she listens since it is important to me, so the answer to the original question is yes.
But to basically everyone else that isn't my wife or people I play dynasty with, I hide my obsession like a dirty secret :lol:
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:21 am

SteelLake wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 amDo the loved ones in your life understand how crazy we dyno people are?
no, and it's for the best!

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:40 am

SteelLake wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 am Does anyone else find it almost weird to talk about FF in their daily lives? Basically everyone loves FF, and will say “me too!” if mentioned, but once you start talking about it to nearly anyone (and they start wondering if they should pick up that “new guy on the Rams”, that you’ve been following for 3 years) it becomes clear you basically don’t play the same game. Then you don’t want to sound like an elitist prick over a silly fake football game, so find yourself saying uh-huh, yea that’s great!

Nah dude I am definitely there. I am sure at some point they just humour me
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:10 am

**General cooler talk at work**
Random guy: Hey, do you play fantasy football?
Me: Yeah, I do find it fun! What's your favorite format? PPR? Half-PPR? 2QB, TE Premium? IDP?
Random guy: Uhh... what do you mean? I do ESPN!
Me: Oh, ok. I'm following you. Do you know what a Dynasty league is?
Random guy: *Blank look on his face*
Me: Ok, do you know what a keeper league is?
Random guy: *Eyes glaze over*
Me: Salary Cap/Contract league?
Random guy: *drool starts running out of his open hanging mouth*
Me: ...Yeah... so Patrick Mahomes is amazing! He scored me so many points last week!
Random guy: Yeah! Mahomes! Best QB ever!
** General conversation continues **

Yeah, we're not playing the same game :lol:
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd