Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jalen Hurts

Postby joeday » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 am

Major_Loser wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 am So I'm thinking about starting Jalen in the championship round due to the Dallas matchup...I have Brady and Tannehill. Am I chugging the Koolaid too fast?
I am considering the same between he and Brady and Tua (vs. Raiders) in one of my main leagues...in my other main league I will be going against him ugh.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:18 am

Major_Loser wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 am So I'm thinking about starting Jalen in the championship round due to the Dallas matchup...I have Brady and Tannehill. Am I chugging the Koolaid too fast?
Koolaid man. Hes completing 54% of his passes and has 7 fumbles.

Hes been a much needed spark, but I'd stick with what got you there.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:20 am

I'd be starting Hurts. I think he has the highest upside. Tanne is in GB so I don't like that as much. You could go Brady vs the Lions but Hurts gives you rushing upside too

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:59 am

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:18 am

I've only seen a bit of his games but have noticed the completion % and YPA. Had the chance to buy him several weeks back but I didn't even like him as a QB at Alabama.

Real curious if he keeps this up.
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:02 pm

burntfire wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:59 am
CGW wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:18 am

I've only seen a bit of his games but have noticed the completion % and YPA. Had the chance to buy him several weeks back but I didn't even like him as a QB at Alabama.

Real curious if he keeps this up.
I've warmed to him, it's just not a gamble I want to make in the playoffs over two guys who have put up solid numbers all year. Caveat- if I'm an underdog I'd go with the gamble of upside with Hurts.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:17 pm

CGW wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:02 pm I've warmed to him
To refocus this to slightly longer-term, though... I really do think the Eagles have got their 2021 guy here.

I always had a sneaky feeling about him, and his final college game being a blowout loss at the hands of Burrow and the greatest College offense of all time... I think that did a lot to throw us off the scent, when perhaps it wasn't altogether fair. Keeping up in a shootout like that is not going to be his game long-term (to say nothing of the "defense" OU was rolling out in that game) - even though yesterday's shoutout with the Cards was wildly entertaining, and I thought he acquitted himself amazingly well and showed a ceiling that I wasn't sure was there.

This is a guy that has had a lot of adversity already (benchings, transfers, etc) and is a coaches son. His poise and character is great, and that's coming in clear via his teammates' comments too. He's always kept his head up, and he keeps grinding and just getting it done. I love young guys like that.

Say what we like about PFF, but they had him as the #2 graded QB in last year's CFB season. Obviously, that's because they are primarily using counting stats over the eye test - but still, we must give him some credit: no-one outside of Burrow accounted for more TD's last CFB season. That's got to count for something... and it appears to be carrying over. No-one will confuse this guy for mega-YOLO-bomb Herbert, but I do think there's a chance he could give Tua a run for the #3 QB spot in this class as we go forward.

Fun completely non-predictive stat #1:
Jalen Hurts is the first player in NFL history with 500 Pass yards and 150 Rush yards in his first two career starts. -- Elias

And I'll leave this with "fun, completely unsustainable and non-predictive stat" #2... via B Solak - Jalen Hurts on pressure downs is a f-in' gamer:

Jalen Hurts has 4 passing TDs this year and they are on:
3rd and 22
4th and 3
4th and 2
4th and 18

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:21 pm

So, What is Hurts worth this offseason in superflex assuming he finishes strong?
12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 9
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

12 tm tiered PPR Superflex start 10
QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan
RB CMC/Zeke/Mixon/Sanders
WR Evans/Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Thielen/Lockett/Fuller
TE Kittle/Waller/L. Thomas

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
WR Adams/Hill/Diggs/AJ Brown/Aiyuk/Woods/R. Moore
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

12 tm PPR 1.5 for TE Superflex start 2 TE start 12
QB Herbert/Tua/Lawrence/Fields
RB Harris/Etienne
WR Jefferson/Deebo/Lamb/DSmith/Sutton/Juedy/Kirk/E. Moore/R. Moore
TE Kittle/Pitts/Waller/Fant/Njoku
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Starting Hurts against Dallas may not be the wisest move when Tannehill is available.

Dallas and Philly play each other close and it is usually a defensive game. Tannehill is playing close to a MVP level these days. He is deadly in play action and Henry is so good GB will bite plenty.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Major_Loser
Starter
Starter

Postby Major_Loser » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:24 pm Starting Hurts against Dallas may not be the wisest move when Tannehill is available.

Dallas and Philly play each other close and it is usually a defensive game. Tannehill is playing close to a MVP level these days. He is deadly in play action and Henry is so good GB will bite plenty.
This is definitely the sane answer I needed.
Team 1
12 team .5 PPR league
1 Qb, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE
QB: Herbert, Tannehill
RB: Josh Jacobs, Dobbins, Charbs, Ford
WR: Chase, Waddle, AJB, Mike Evans, Michael Thomas, Rashid Shaheed
TE: Waller, Chig, Njoku

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:41 pm

briank wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:21 pm So, What is Hurts worth this offseason in superflex assuming he finishes strong?
The answer is "a lot more" if the Eagles trade Wentz, or outright announce they're going with Hurts in 2021 this offseason. (Which would mean Wentz asks for a trade, according to his recent quotes, so it's same-same result)

Now is the speculation buy window for Hurts if you're considering it. It'll jump sharply if he locks the job down fully. If you're thinking of selling, he's most definitely a hold based on what we're seeing of his play out there. This really could be "Lamar with a better arm" for our fantasy purposes.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:46 pm

mild wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:41 pm
briank wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:21 pm So, What is Hurts worth this offseason in superflex assuming he finishes strong?
The answer is "a lot more" if the Eagles trade Wentz, or outright announce they're going with Hurts in 2021 this offseason. (Which would mean Wentz asks for a trade, according to his recent quotes, so it's same-same result)

Now is the speculation buy window for Hurts if you're considering it. It'll jump sharply if he locks the job down fully. If you're thinking of selling, he's most definitely a hold based on what we're seeing of his play out there. This really could be "Lamar with a better arm" for our fantasy purposes.
It sounds like holding him until Wentz is gone, or declared the backup is a good idea. I have him on a team loaded at QB, so I'll be shopping him if he's the starter next year. This team already has Mahomes, Murray, and Burrow.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

sammyz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sammyz » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:44 am

I saw the writing on the wall for Wentz and snapped up Hurts off the wire for free in a 10 team 1 qb league. I've been hurting at QB since Dak went down and have been platooning Teddy and eventually Taysom. Only started Hurts this week because Taysom wasn't starting and boy howdy.

Earlier in the season I offered Diontae Johnson and AJ Dillon for Justin Herbert, which was rejected. The guy wound up accepting a late 2nd (2.09) and Devin Singletary for Herbert. I kept searching for a Dak fill in to improve over Teddy and stumbled onto Hurts that way really. Might turn out to be the best trade rejection I've ever had. Doesn't make me feel great that I'm playing against Herbert in the championship this week though. Going to be interesting starting the WW QB I grabbed because I couldn't trade for the guy who is starting against me now.
QBs: Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston, Jalen Hurts, Andy Dalton
RBS: CMC, Miles Sanders, Gurley, JK Dobbins, AJ Dillon, Lamical Perine, Ito Smith
WRS: Godwin, DJ Moore, Juju, Keenan Allen, Diggs, McLaurin, Dionte Johnson, Jalen Reagor, Bryan Edwards, Brandon Aiyuk, Tim Patrick
TEs: Mark Andrews, TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith
DEF:Miami

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Considering Hurts went in the 3rd+ of every SF/2QB draft I was in, I'd imagine AT LEAST an early 2nd...maybe just due in part to Wentz' situation but you could easily see him be worth at least a 1st if he continues to ball + Wentz goes bye-bye.

Konami Code QB's man, hard to bet against them this day and age, it looks like.

briank
All Pro
All Pro

Postby briank » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Servo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:35 pm
Considering Hurts went in the 3rd+ of every SF/2QB draft I was in, I'd imagine AT LEAST an early 2nd...maybe just due in part to Wentz' situation but you could easily see him be worth at least a 1st if he continues to ball + Wentz goes bye-bye.

He went in the 2nd in every league I'm in. I wouldn't trade him for less than a 1st. Maybe for less than 12 team leagues.
QB Allen/Tubisky/Lock
RB Mixon/Harris/Etienne
WR DJ Moore
TE Kelce/Irv
2022 1.06/1.09
2023 3x 1st

QB Mahomes/Watson/Ryan

QB Mahomes/Murray/Brady
RB CMC
TE Kelce/Kittle/Njoku
2x 2023 1sts

RB Harris/Etienne
2022 1.01/1.12/2.02

ThunderTung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ThunderTung » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:18 pm

briank wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:06 pm
Servo wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:35 pm

He went in the 2nd in every league I'm in. I wouldn't trade him for less than a 1st. Maybe for less than 12 team leagues.
Yea I got him in the 5th in a 1qb league, and I wouldn't sell for anything less than a 2nd
12 man IDP 0.5 ppr

QB(1): Geno Smith
RB(2): ETN/Walker III
WR(2): Chase/Lamb
TE(1): Goedert
FLEX(2): Stevenson/Garrett Wilson
K: Mcpherson
DL(2): T. Walker/Vea
LB(2): D. Long/TJ Edwards
DB(2) Dugger/Moehrig
FLEX: Kenneth Murray
IR: J. Hicks/Milano/Marcus Jones