Mid season rule change?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
All Pro
All Pro

Mid season rule change?

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:47 am

This may belong in Team Advice since it’s league specific but it’s not about my team and I just wanted to see if you guys have experienced anything similar

Last night, an owner in our league called for a rule change and manual stat correction from the commish after he didn’t get 6 points for Patterson’s KR Touchdown.

(He’s complaining because it would be the difference between winning and losing this week)

He called out the commish yet again this morning, who told him this league has run for 3 years and has never awarded points for KR TDs and he can’t change the rules just to appease one person

Complainer thinks that’s BS because this is such a rare scenario that it’s probably never come up and he should absolutely get credit because his player scored a TD and it effected the outcome of an actual NFL game

Complainer then acted like a child, saying that he would not be setting a lineup for the rest of the year and there will be a fire sale on his team if the stat isn’t changed

Commish is now putting it to a vote.

Have y’all ever had someone throw a tantrum and call for a mid season rule change? What was the outcome?

Jigga94
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Mid season rule change?

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 am

Umm complainer sounds like a child. If return TD haven't been scored for 3 years, then you can't start now. It's weird that you don't count them though. Whenever a player gets a TD in my league, he gets credit. You can't go changing mid season (unless you get a unanimous vote then sure).

I always vote on rule changes for next season so everyone is on the same page and it's fair.

If complainer still isn't happy, then boot him before he wrecks his team and the league.
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX - PPR - [b]14 Keepers[/b]
QB: Mahomes, J. Allen, Baker, D. Jones, Eason
RB: JT, Mostert, Gaskin, Dillon, Gus, Mattison, McFarland, Snell, Wilson, McKissic, Darrel
WR: Tyreek, DJM, Jeudy, Hollywood, Cooks, Mims, Hardman, Preston, Parris
TE: Andrews, Fant, Henry
2021: 1.10, 2, 3, 4, 5.08, 5.10, 6, 7, 9, 10

2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3FLEX - PPR - [b]20 Keepers[/b]
QB: [b]Mahomes, Ryan,[/b] Minshew, Trubisky, Mariota
RB: [b]Saquon, Jacobs, Dobbins, Hunt,[/b] Penny, Snell
WR: [b]AJB, DJM, Chark, Ruggs, Hardman, Mike Will, C. Davis, C. Samuel,[/b] G. Davis, Mooney, Lazard, J. Washington
TE: [b]Andrews, Henry, Gesicki, Tonyan,[/b] Irv
2021: 1.03, 2.05, 2.09, 3.05, 3.09
2022: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3

bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:16 am

Well it is dumb that the league isn't setup to reward return TDs, but if those are the scoring settings then they can't be changed midseason. Owner is SOL this week, but the league should absolutely starting crediting return TDs starting next season. Also if he follows through with his threats then just boot him and get a replacement owner to take over or commish set his lineups until you get one, that's blatant violation of any standard nest interest of the league rules.
Last edited by bjd5211 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prison_Mike
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:16 am

Jigga94 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 am
Umm complainer sounds like a child. If return TD haven't been scored for 3 years, then you can't start now. It's weird that you don't count them though. Whenever a player gets a TD in my league, he gets credit. You can't go changing mid season (unless you get a unanimous vote then sure).

I always vote on rule changes for next season so everyone is on the same page and it's fair.

If complainer still isn't happy, then boot him before he wrecks his team and the league.
He’s absolutely acting childish

The league has been going for 3 years, but he’s new this year.

Regardless, it’s always each owner’s responsibility to know the rules and scoring settings of their league.

I’m kind of indifferent on the situation but I voted no because I think it sets a bad precedent to change rules because A) someone didn’t know the rule and B) they’re only calling for said rule change because it would benefit them

murphysxm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby murphysxm » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:21 am

A. He should absolutely get credit for a KR return and that is bad commishing that it isn't counted
B. It's in the rules as no credit, can't change mid season

Jigga94
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 am

Prison_Mike wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:16 am
Jigga94 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:01 am

He’s absolutely acting childish

The league has been going for 3 years, but he’s new this year.

Regardless, it’s always each owner’s responsibility to know the rules and scoring settings of their league.

I’m kind of indifferent on the situation but I voted no because I think it sets a bad precedent to change rules because A) someone didn’t know the rule and B) they’re only calling for said rule change because it would benefit them
I agree with you, but I now see why he's upset. Sure you should know the rules and stuff, but idk if I would have looked to check if return TDs were scored when I joined the league; I would just assume they were. Not grounds for changing rules, just trying to see his point of view.

He's still being a child for trying to destroy his own team
RB: JT, Mostert, Gaskin, Dillon, Gus, Mattison, McFarland, Snell, Wilson, McKissic, Darrel

WR: [b]AJB, DJM, Chark, Ruggs, Hardman, Mike Will, C. Davis, C. Samuel,[/b] G. Davis, Mooney, Lazard, J. Washington

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro

Postby failblazer » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 am

It sucks for that owner that they lose a game because of it but ultimately the rules are the rules and you should know your league’s scoring. You cannot expect a league to change rules mid season as everyone has been building teams and setting lineups based on shared knowledge. If there is an issue with scoring, roster sizes etc you bring it up for vote in the off-season, even if it screws you now sadly.

As a commissioner, you simply cannot give it to this as it sets a terrible precedent for the future. If this owner gets their way then what is to stop another owner asking for something to be changed to benefit them and so on and so on. If anything, if this owner is threatening the integrity of the league by threatening to fire sale and not set rosters then they need to be replaced if they attempt to follow through with it.
16 Team PPR (9th Year Dynasty - 1 Time Champion)
T. Brady, D. Jones, C. Wentz
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Robinson, A. Peterson, D. Foreman, T. CohenIR
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, C. Ridley, D. Johnson, D. Mims, C. SuttonIR
D. Waller, M. Gesicki, D. Njoku, D. Knox, C. Kmet

C. Young, S. Hubbard
D. Leonard, D. Greenlaw, T. Reeder, N. Kwiakowski, M. Kiser IR, C. MoselyOPT, N. GerryIR
J. Simmons, A. Amos

16 Team PPR (8th Year Dynasty - Reigning 3 Time Champion)
A. Rodgers, T. Brady, P. Rivers
C. MacCaffrey, E. Elliott, D. Henry, A. Morris, D. Foreman
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Isabella, J. Gordon
Z. Ertz, A. Hooper, J. Sternberger, D. Keene, O. HowardIR

D. Lawrence, J. Simmons, K. Chiasson
R. Smith, Z. Cunningham, T. Reeder, T. Adams, B. Okereke, L.Wilson, C. MoselyOPT
J. Johnson, J. Simmons, M. Hyde, K. Dugger, B. McDougaldIR

Jigga94
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 am

Also, has this never been discussed before? I mean maybe it hasn't affected an outcome and not many returners are fantasy relevant, but I'd expect in 3 years someone would've noticed and said something. This isn't a typical rule. Again, not grounds for changing the rule midseason. Just odd to me

abloom
Legend
Legend

Postby abloom » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:27 am

Prison_Mike wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:47 am
This may belong in Team Advice since it’s league specific but it’s not about my team and I just wanted to see if you guys have experienced anything similar

Last night, an owner in our league called for a rule change and manual stat correction from the commish after he didn’t get 6 points for Patterson’s KR Touchdown.

(He’s complaining because it would be the difference between winning and losing this week)

He called out the commish yet again this morning, who told him this league has run for 3 years and has never awarded points for KR TDs and he can’t change the rules just to appease one person

Complainer thinks that’s BS because this is such a rare scenario that it’s probably never come up and he should absolutely get credit because his player scored a TD and it effected the outcome of an actual NFL game

Complainer then acted like a child, saying that he would not be setting a lineup for the rest of the year and there will be a fire sale on his team if the stat isn’t changed

Commish is now putting it to a vote.

Have y’all ever had someone throw a tantrum and call for a mid season rule change? What was the outcome?
This came up probably about 10 years ago when I was commishing a Season long league. Someone got a punt or ko return td and the owner was upset that they didn't get the points for it. I responded saying (1) that the scoring rules clearly state that punt and ko return tds (as well as int and defensive fumble tds) are awarded to the DSTs that we played with. There was no mention of offensive players getting this scoring. (2) I would not be modifying this because this is what the rules stated. (3) I didn't think that it should be changed anyways because I don't like double counting scoring (for the offensive player returning and the DST).

Your commish should not allow any score changes for this year. If they want to change the rules, it should occur only in the off season.
Dynasty Team #1:
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Wentz,Tannehill,Hill
R: CMC,Taylor,Robinson,Fournette
W: Evans,Edelman,Cobb,Davis,Mooney,Lazard
T: Goedert(IR),Henry
D: NE,BAL
K: Bullock

2021 Picks: 1.02,2.05,4.02,5.02,6.02,7.02
---
Dynasty Team #2: 2020 Champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Wilson, Murray, Cousins, Trubisky, Smith, Dalton
R: Cook, Dobbins, Swift, Monty, Mattison
W: Nuk, Godwin, Metcalf, K Allen, Edwards, AB, Sutton(IR)
T: Kelce
K: Tucker
D: PIT

2021 picks: 1.05,1.12,4.06,4.12,5.12,6.12,7.07
---
DLF advice forum league:
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes ,Tua, Mullens, Love, Flacco, Hoyer, Rypien, Bethard
R: Michel, Moss, Hyde, Bernard, Richard, Darrel Williams, Damien Williams, C Thompson
W: Juju, Cooper, Allen, Sanders, D Moore
T: Schultz, Doyle, Asiasi, Thomas

2021 Picks: 1.04,1.11,1.12,2.04,3.04,4.04,4.06,4.10

Prison_Mike
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:35 am

Jigga94 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 am
Also, has this never been discussed before? I mean maybe it hasn't affected an outcome and not many returners are fantasy relevant, but I'd expect in 3 years someone would've noticed and said something. This isn't a typical rule. Again, not grounds for changing the rule midseason. Just odd to me
Nope, never been brought up which is part of his argument. Saying that no one was aware of the rule which is the only reason it hasn’t been discussed until now

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:40 am

So, does DT/ST get credit for the TD? If so, I think you leave it as that
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Wilson, Herbert
RB-Kamara, Mixon, Dobbins, Akers, DHarris
WR-Adams, Evans, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Harry
TE- Kelce, Fant, Goedert, Njoku
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, KClark
DE- JBosa, Watt, Barnett, Gross-Matos
LB- D Jones, Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner , Simmons, Evans
CB- Moore, Hill, Bradberry, Bless
S- Clark, HSmith, Johnson, Dugger
IR Hunter, Barkley
2021- 1st x 1

Prison_Mike
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 am

IR1 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:40 am
No DST in this league.

In other words, no one got credit for the TD

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 am

Prison_Mike wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 am
IR1 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:40 am
No DST in this league.

In other words, no one got credit for the TD
In that case I'll agree with everyone else, change the rule in the off season
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Wilson, Herbert
RB-Kamara, Mixon, Dobbins, Akers, DHarris
WR-Adams, Evans, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Harry
TE- Kelce, Fant, Goedert, Njoku
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, KClark
DE- JBosa, Watt, Barnett, Gross-Matos
LB- D Jones, Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner , Simmons, Evans
CB- Moore, Hill, Bradberry, Bless
S- Clark, HSmith, Johnson, Dugger
IR Hunter, Barkley
2021- 1st x 1

Prison_Mike
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 am

Prison_Mike wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:35 am
Jigga94 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 am
Nope, never been brought up which is part of his argument. Saying that no one was aware of the rule which is the only reason it hasn’t been discussed until now
Btw, correction: the league was started in 2019. So it's been going for 2 years. Not sure why the commish said 3, maybe for dramatic affect :lol:

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:50 am

I agree that it sets a bad precedent to change rules midseason, but I think the real question is: was this an actual “rule” or just an oversight on the part of the commish? If he just forgot to check a box when he was setting up the scoring parameters, then I think a valid case could be made to fix it, even midseason. Just because an issue didn’t present itself until now doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be remedied immediately. Of course that depends on your commish being willing to cop to his mistake. Has he stated that he intentionally left out return TDs? If so, does he have any reasonable explanation as to why? Does the league constitution specifically state that return TDs aren’t counted? I can’t really blame this owner, or anyone really, for not poring through the scoring settings with a fine toothed comb and not catching this earlier.

That said, it would definitely be bad form for this owner to destroy his team in a tantrum. If he actually refuses to set a lineup by Sunday morning, the commish needs to remove his abilities and set a lineup on his behalf based on some objective outside source (FantasyPros, ESPN, etc.) to avoid further damage to league integrity.

Just out of curiosity, when JJAW recovered a fumble in the end zone for a TD in week 6, did he get credit for that TD in your league? If so, then I think this owner has an even better case for fixing the scoring. If not, you guys need to give your scoring a serious once-over this offseason. MFL settings can be kinda convoluted and it’s not uncommon to overlook something when you’re setting up a league.
All are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

Kylie Quinn Fan Club
QB: Wilson
RB: CMC, Mixon, Lindsay, Gallman, M. Davis, Pollard, Booker
WR: Godwin, Golladay, Woods, Keenan, Crowder, Sammy, Coulter
TE: Ertz, Irv Smith, L. Thomas
Taxi: Tua, McFarland, Joe Reed, Hurts

Put The Coke On My Dak
QB: Dak, Ryan, Baker
RB: CMC, Sanders, Mixon, Dobbins, Foreman
WR: Chark, Viska, Kirk, Patrick, Perriman, Coutee, Isabella, J. Grant, Coulter
TE: Kelce, OJH, Warring
Taxi: Duvernay, Hurts, Cephus

Keep On Hockenson the Free World
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Stafford $8/1, Hill $1/1
RB: CEH $26/5, Vaughn $9/4, Coleman $17/2, Gallman $1/1, Breida $1/1
WR: Godwin $50/3, DJM $43/3, Fuller $14/1, Crowder $21/1, Sanders $20/1, Mims $6/5, Edwards $3/5, Hamler $2/3, Patrick $1/1, Lazard $1/1, D. Moore $1/1
TE: Hock $20/4, Trautman $2/5