Justin Jefferson #1 Dynasty WR?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Justin Jefferson #1 Dynasty WR?

Postby jordanzs » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am

Will there ever be a point in time where the Eagles look like geniuses for taking Reagor over Justin Jefferson?

And on the same note, will the Raiders ever look smart for taking Ruggs over the rest of the WRs?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:26 pm

jordanzs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am Will there ever be a point in time where the Eagles look like geniuses for taking Reagor over Justin Jefferson?

And on the same note, will the Raiders ever look smart for taking Ruggs over the rest of the WRs?
No on Eagles. Reagor was a head scratch for me and still is. He does flash a little though. Jefferson was an easy choice over Reagor IMO.

Too soon on the Raiders IMO. Ruggs has tons of talent to be developed. He did catch 16 of his final 22 targets. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes the biggest jump next year. He really needs an off season.

These two were not as pro ready as Lamb or Jefferson. Most knew that I think.

Jefferson was 1 of 3 rookies to make the pro bowl. Young and CEH were the other 2.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm

jordanzs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am Will there ever be a point in time where the Eagles look like geniuses for taking Reagor over Justin Jefferson?

No and no

Ruggs and Reagor were always frauds

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:26 pm

No on Eagles. Reagor was a head scratch for me and still is. He does flash a little though. Jefferson was an easy choice over Reagor IMO.

Too soon on the Raiders IMO. Ruggs has tons of talent to be developed. He did catch 16 of his final 22 targets. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes the biggest jump next year. He really needs an off season.

Jefferson was 1 of 3 rookies to make the pro bowl. Young and CEH were the other 2.
If we are going to be truthful here (and I own and love CEH): CEH made it (along with Miles Sanders) due to a gimmicky video game contest.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:01 pm

TimeWillTell wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 pm If we are going to be truthful here (and I own and love CEH): CEH made it (along with Miles Sanders) due to a gimmicky video game contest.
That makes sense. Neither really deserve that award this year.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:06 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:26 pm

I have to agree, I still believe in Reagor as a player and still believe it wasn't a terrible pick by them but I'm done with the Eagles. Add to the incompetent play calling and broken QB's, Reagor was injured and was also a player who was in need of a full offseason. I'm still going to hold him as he was my favourite player in the draft (definite man crush), I just wonder what he could have been at 49ers or somewhere more nurturing.

With all the hits at WR from this rookie class so far I think any of these guys plus Pittman and others are excellent buy lows as their season looks so much worse in comparison to the heights of guys like Jefferson, Lamb, Claypool, Ayuik etc

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:08 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm

No and no

Ruggs and Reagor were always frauds
I remember arguing with an Eagles fan about JJ vs Reagor on draft night (it was Mike if you remember him from Spoils Jordan). He also liked Ruggs better than JJ after the draft. I also got in an argument that night with a Raiders fan who thought the Ruggs pick over Jeudy, Lamb, and JJ was genius lol. I’m less bullish on that than Reagor because I do believe in Ruggs talent...it just may take a few years. He reminds me of DJ Moore in skill set.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:00 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:36 am Lamb next Jefferson should not confuse you.

He had Andy Dalton as a QB. Next year he gets Dak back most likely and the Vikings have Cousins. Dallas attempted 123 more passes this past season.

JJ had a great year but 1 rookie campaign is just that. A secondary issue a few will think about is what will the Vikings do at O Coordinator. Kubiak has been non committal. My guess is a change is coming in Viking country but if not Cousins is probably there for 2 years at most if not traded. The Vikings have a lot of issues on defense and both lines and are in a negative cap position. This team is going to have to change a lot this off season. They are not competitive in that division. These issues could affect Jefferson going forward.

Those 2 right next to each other makes quite a bit of sense to me. Lamb had a vastly inferior QB this past season and still put up 1000 combined yards and 6 TD's.

My guess though is they will separate as more mocks come in. JJ will move into the 1st round soon enough. It is really too early to determine who is the best player between these two. Glad I own both on teams.

That said, the Vikings have to be ecstatic to have him in the fold just as the Cowboys have to elated to have Lamb.
I mean, it does confuse me because the production gap is really wide. Of course we don’t know definitively who will have the better career. But we do know JJ was a WR1 his rookie year and Lamb has two receivers in front of him on the depth chart plus a stud RB to take touches away from him. Seems like the pitfall of overvaluing youth over proven production that so often backfires. JJ is different in that he’s young and has proven it. I guess if we want to argue semantics, “confused” may be the wrong word because it’s pretty predictable that people will over value him based on age and small sample size, but it doesn’t make it any less egregious.

Again lots of reason for optimism on Lamb. Taking him above JJ or even in the early 2nd of startups is overvaluing him.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:22 pm

jcc6fd wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:00 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:36 am Lamb next Jefferson should not confuse you.

He had Andy Dalton as a QB. Next year he gets Dak back most likely and the Vikings have Cousins. Dallas attempted 123 more passes this past season.

JJ had a great year but 1 rookie campaign is just that. A secondary issue a few will think about is what will the Vikings do at O Coordinator. Kubiak has been non committal. My guess is a change is coming in Viking country but if not Cousins is probably there for 2 years at most if not traded. The Vikings have a lot of issues on defense and both lines and are in a negative cap position. This team is going to have to change a lot this off season. They are not competitive in that division. These issues could affect Jefferson going forward.

Those 2 right next to each other makes quite a bit of sense to me. Lamb had a vastly inferior QB this past season and still put up 1000 combined yards and 6 TD's.

My guess though is they will separate as more mocks come in. JJ will move into the 1st round soon enough. It is really too early to determine who is the best player between these two. Glad I own both on teams.

That said, the Vikings have to be ecstatic to have him in the fold just as the Cowboys have to elated to have Lamb.
I mean, it does confuse me because the production gap is really wide. Of course we don’t know definitively who will have the better career. But we do know JJ was a WR1 his rookie year and Lamb has two receivers in front of him on the depth chart plus a stud RB to take touches away from him. Seems like the pitfall of overvaluing youth over proven production that so often backfires. JJ is different in that he’s young and has proven it. I guess if we want to argue semantics, “confused” may be the wrong word because it’s pretty predictable that people will over value him based on age and small sample size, but it doesn’t make it any less egregious.

Again lots of reason for optimism on Lamb. Taking him above JJ or even in the early 2nd of startups is overvaluing him.
No issues taking JJ over Lamb. Not sure it will be the best move long term but today his production is better. I would easily take Jefferson over Lamb in a redraft and did in 2 of the ones I had a choice.

Dynasty is just so different. The major difference was depth of target. That IMO is far more a function of the QB. Dak was a leader in air yards his last full year and most likely will be again. Dalton is a HUGE drop off and that hurt.

I get the massive recency bias pull of players. I would take JJ again in a redraft first but I draft WR's based on 3 year windows and never panic early. My tea leaves tell me Lamb will be in the better situation by 2022. No telling for sure but the Vikings are really in pretty bad shape and I believe they will get worse before they get better.

I think both are tracking to be legit studs long term. The both look like they love to play and the game isn't too big for either of them.

Time will tell for sure which is the best of these two.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:32 pm

They're the same tier of prospect (Lamb, Jefferson).. however one of them has already proven he can put up a WR1 season and just broke the all time rookie receiving yardage record.

Can't imagine any world where someone would take Lamb over Jefferson right now. Maybe Lamb finishes higher, but odds are certainly not in his favor. Justin Jefferson is already in rarified air.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:47 pm

The only reason Lamb ever was considered a better prospect than Jefferson in the first place was due to a false narrative, that JJ was just a slot guy. At this point, it seems pretty apparent to me that Jefferson has been better than Lamb all along. He outproduced Lamb in college despite facing stiffer competition, he outperformed Lamb at the combine, he outperformed Lamb in their rookie NFL seasons. Jefferson is just the better player, he always was.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:32 pm They're the same tier of prospect (Lamb, Jefferson).. however one of them has already proven he can put up a WR1 season and just broke the all time rookie receiving yardage record.

Can't imagine any world where someone would take Lamb over Jefferson right now. Maybe Lamb finishes higher, but odds are certainly not in his favor. Justin Jefferson is already in rarified air.
I gotta disagree with you here. Keep in mind I have the same number of shares in JJ and Lamb, so this is my completely unbiased opinion...

@90 catches
@1400 yards
@6 TDs
@275 fantasy points (ppr)

Those are CeeDee Lambs numbers for the season if you extrapolate the 5 games he played with Dak. They are almost exactly what JJ put up. I know extrapolation is a dangerous game (especially with only 5 games of data) but he still put up 74 catches, over 1000 total yards, 6 total TDs, and over 200 fantasy points (finishing as WR23)...with Dalton, Gilbert, and DiNucci throwing to him for the majority of the season.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:47 pm The only reason Lamb ever was considered a better prospect than Jefferson in the first place was due to a false narrative, that JJ was just a slot guy. At this point, it seems pretty apparent to me that Jefferson has been better than Lamb all along. He outproduced Lamb in college despite facing stiffer competition, he outperformed Lamb at the combine, he outperformed Lamb in their rookie NFL seasons. Jefferson is just the better player, he always was.
I personally think it's because he had 2 #1 overall picks and a 2nd round QB throwing to him his entire college career :lol:

Justin Jefferson got dinged because he wasn't the alpha on his own team last year (J'marr Chase) and that he exploded the year he went into the slot. People should've known he could play both though given that he broke out as a Sophomore the year before playing mostly outside (albeit a muted breakout given that the offense as a whole wasn't very productive).

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:57 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:47 pm The only reason Lamb ever was considered a better prospect than Jefferson in the first place was due to a false narrative, that JJ was just a slot guy. At this point, it seems pretty apparent to me that Jefferson has been better than Lamb all along. He outproduced Lamb in college despite facing stiffer competition, he outperformed Lamb at the combine, he outperformed Lamb in their rookie NFL seasons. Jefferson is just the better player, he always was.
I feel like this is using a lot of hindsight though, there were legitimate questions about him playing outside, he looked ok his previous year playing outside but wasn't near as dominant. Its easy to say now that he improved in his last year and could have dominated if he was used outside. I do agree though that being a slot guy shouldn't be as large a knock as it used to be considered, some of the top WR's in the NFL spend huge amounts of time in the slot like Thomas, points are points regardless where on the field you play more.
I have Jefferson easily above Lamb now but we can't sit here and pretend like he was always the better receiver prospect.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:32 pm They're the same tier of prospect (Lamb, Jefferson).. however one of them has already proven he can put up a WR1 season and just broke the all time rookie receiving yardage record.

He is that but Lamb was #3 on his team and finished only 14 receptions behind him with a far worse QB.

No doubt the numbers favor Jefferson but they are not far apart given circumstances.

Interesting side note. Cooper had 4 more receptions than Jefferson and Lamb had the same numbers as Thielen without the monster TD's. BTW, Lamb and Jefferson outscored each-other the same amount of times over a 16 game fantasy schedule.

Best single catch by a mile goes to Lamb who arguably made the catch of the year in the NFL.

Round 1 of this 10-12 year fight goes to Jefferson pretty easily due total points.

This is going to potentially be a great match up to watch in the coming years.