Carson Wentz Thread: Reborn in Indy?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Carson Wentz Thread: Reborn in Indy?

Postby MFundercover » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:14 am

Wentz is average. Sometimes he plays way above that, some times he plays way below. Then he reverts to the mean. He's inconsistent and all over the place, but he is capable of some incredible stretched of play.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:05 am

Reborn or just lucky????? Wentz should have had 3 picks against San Fran in the first half so he still does Wentz things but no doubt he is giving the 3-4 Colts some hope.

Wentz does look really great some times but then again there are those times one wonders how in the world he is a start quality QB.

I still have no plans to ever own him in fantasy but he is riding a wave; Of course we all know what waves do when they hit the shore.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:19 am

Wentz had a couple of tough picks yesterday. The pick 6, as Reich said, was on him. Wentz tried his best to get rid of the ball, but the ball was slipping from his hand, by the time he regained possession of it, he had to throw it up for grabs. A safety would have been game over, as you have to kick it to them. A pick 6, at least you get the ball back. He managed to manufacture a drive to tie the game with just over a minute left, I believe, right after that. The OT pick was a mistake, trying to force it to Pittman, with TY out, the D were so focused on him.

I was of the mindset they needed Bateman, not Paye. The lack of WR options is really a problem for Indy. Through 8 games, I've been impressed with Wentz overall. He's dialed back the hero ball, will still extend some plays, but is much more calculated about when and where. With 2 minutes left in the game, he had a 14/1 TD to INT ratio, and hadn't thrown a pick in well over 200 pass attempts, before it all kind of went sideways for the Colts. Still, 14/3, with a rating close to 100 with this receiving corps is pretty good in my books.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:25 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:19 am Wentz had a couple of tough picks yesterday. The pick 6, as Reich said, was on him. Wentz tried his best to get rid of the ball, but the ball was slipping from his hand, by the time he regained possession of it, he had to throw it up for grabs. A safety would have been game over, as you have to kick it to them. A pick 6, at least you get the ball back. He managed to manufacture a drive to tie the game with just over a minute left, I believe, right after that. The OT pick was a mistake, trying to force it to Pittman, with TY out, the D were so focused on him.

I was of the mindset they needed Bateman, not Paye. The lack of WR options is really a problem for Indy. Through 8 games, I've been impressed with Wentz overall. He's dialed back the hero ball, will still extend some plays, but is much more calculated about when and where. With 2 minutes left in the game, he had a 14/1 TD to INT ratio, and hadn't thrown a pick in well over 200 pass attempts, before it all kind of went sideways for the Colts. Still, 14/3, with a rating close to 100 with this receiving corps is pretty good in my books.
I know you have been an apologist errrrr supporter of Wentz for years but reread my post above from last Thursday.

Like Clockwork, the wave crashed yet again yesterday..... :wave:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:40 am

Ice wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:25 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:19 am Wentz had a couple of tough picks yesterday. The pick 6, as Reich said, was on him. Wentz tried his best to get rid of the ball, but the ball was slipping from his hand, by the time he regained possession of it, he had to throw it up for grabs. A safety would have been game over, as you have to kick it to them. A pick 6, at least you get the ball back. He managed to manufacture a drive to tie the game with just over a minute left, I believe, right after that. The OT pick was a mistake, trying to force it to Pittman, with TY out, the D were so focused on him.

I know you have been an apologist errrrr supporter of Wentz for years but reread my post above from last Thursday.

Like Clockwork, the wave crashed yet again yesterday..... :wave:
Not really. He threw a bad pick in OT. You can't cherry pick a bad throw to basically say he's not good when he's been good a lot more than he hasn't. Especially when he played the Titans game with 2 bum ankles that negatively affected his number early. He's been a good QB through half the year.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:53 am

@FF,

It's obvious you're not watching all his plays. The guy tries a left handed pass from his own endzone?????? It takes a special kind of stupid to do that then throw into triple coverage in OT with a wide open RB safety valve.

Go watch every play fro the San Fran Game.... One can't give him a pass because the opponents can't catch a cold in a rain storm.

He is falling back to his normal place of the last few years. Wentz is now 27th in completion percentage and just dropped to 15th in passer rating 3/10th of a point ahead of the one armed assassin in Cleveland.

Time to sell! A few games like this and he will get benched so Indy can keep their 1st round pick they risked to Philly who had to jumping with glee when they made that deal.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:59 am

Ice wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:53 am @FF,

It's obvious you're not watching all his plays. The guy tries a left handed pass from his own endzone?????? It takes a special kind of stupid to do that then throw into triple coverage in OT with a wide open RB safety valve.

Go watch every play fro the San Fran Game.... One can't give him a pass because the opponents can't catch a cold in a rain storm.

He is falling back to his normal place of the last few years. Wentz is now 27th in completion percentage and just dropped to 15th in passer rating 3/10th of a point ahead of the one armed assassin in Cleveland.

Time to sell! A few games like this and he will get benched so Indy can keep their 1st round pick they risked to Philly who had to jumping with glee when they made that deal.
The left handed pass was necessary at that point. The safety could not be taken. Pick 6 was better. You need the ball back. A safety means game over, because you have kick to them. Just like if he had thrown it into the dirt in the end zone, and they had call intentional grounding. Reich said it was a dumb play call backed up like that, and it was. He put him in a horrible position on that play. The next 2 game they have the Jets at home and the Jags. They are going to be 5-5 in 2 weeks. I don't hear you talking about other QB's like this. If you want to talk about being reckless with the ball, watch Mahomes this year. He's been more reckless than Wentz has. I don't pretend Wentz is as good, but he had them set up to win vs the Ravens, but for a hurt kicker. Wentz had a bad pick yesterday, but it's not a reason to say he's been bad all year. He hasn't.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:06 am

So what your saying is Indy's staff is bad and to make it worse they won't let Wentz check out of a play doomed for failure......Or Wentz wasn't bright enough to read and react in his own end zone.

Last night Cooper Rush checked out of a running play to hit Cooper on the game winner. It was his first start ever and he had the ability to read and react....

Agree to disagree but Wentz has always been like watching auto racing. One just knows he will have a wreck at some point and we just can't avert our eyes.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:41 am

I get you are a Wentz hater, but using the San Fran game for any sort of analysis is poor process. It rained 2+ inches during the game. I'm not going to use that game to determine anyone sucks.

His worst plays are when he tries to flip the ball while being sacked. The end zone play wasn't an issue, as it actually saved the game, but he has a tendency to do too much too frequently. Outside this, he's played better than I expected.

2016 62.4% 236.4ypg 16TD 14INT 79.3rating
2017 60.2% 253.5ypg 33TD 7INT 101.9rating
2018 69.6% 279.5ypg 21TD 7INT 102.2rating
2019 63.9% 252.4ypg 27TD 7INT 93.1rating
2020 57.4% 218.3ypg 16TD 15INT 72.8rating
2021 62.2% 240.8ypg 29TD 6INT 96.3rating (pace)

When I look at these numbers, the outlier appears to be more 2020.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:59 am

The left handed pass was necessary at that point. The safety could not be taken. Pick 6 was better. You need the ball back. A safety means game over, because you have kick to them. Just like if he had thrown it into the dirt in the end zone, and they had call intentional grounding. Reich said it was a dumb play call backed up like that, and it was. He put him in a horrible position on that play. The next 2 game they have the Jets at home and the Jags. They are going to be 5-5 in 2 weeks. I don't hear you talking about other QB's like this. If you want to talk about being reckless with the ball, watch Mahomes this year. He's been more reckless than Wentz has. I don't pretend Wentz is as good, but he had them set up to win vs the Ravens, but for a hurt kicker. Wentz had a bad pick yesterday, but it's not a reason to say he's been bad all year. He hasn't.
I watch every Colts game religiously and I’m sorry but you are just flat out wrong here FF. Yesterday alone he egregiously overthrew or underthrew WRs the entire game. The first INT was inexcusable, but it was one of many mistakes. This has been a recurring theme all year. He gets pressured either deep in his/opponents territory and he just shuts his brain off and makes an inexplicable decision. Happened against the Ravens, 49ers, Rams, and now the Titans. Wentz has the size and arm that teams drool over for QBs, but he suffers from the same deficiencies Jay Cutler did in that he only appears present 80-85% of the time.

Edit: this isn’t to say he is bad, but he isn’t good either. He’s average. Doesn’t possess the ability to take over a game.
Team 1: 12-team SF 0.5 PPR:
QB: Dak, Russ, Stafford, Geno, Dalton
RB: Harris, Gibson, Chubb, Cohen
WR: DK, Ridley, Kirk, Chark, Woods, C Samuel, Shepard, Reagor
TE: Fant, Knox
Team 2: 14-team PPR SF TEP:
QB: Wilson, Burrow, Geno, Foles
RB: Mixon, Gibson, Hines, Cohen, Pollard
WR: DJM, Cooper, Sutton, Deebo, R. Moore, ARSB, Eskridge, Renfrow
TE: Gesicki, Njoku, Arnold
Team 3: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Watson, Lawrence, Winston, Cam
RB: Harris, Ekeler, Dobbins
WR: Hill, AJB, Woods, Chark, Lockett
TE: Gesicki, OJH, Firkser
Team 4: 12-team SF TEP Devy
QB: Wilson, Geno, Ryan, Cousins
RB: Zeke, Chubb, Sanders, Pollard, Hines, Cohen, Henderson
WR: Cooper, Godwin, Sutton, JuJu, Samuel, Fuller, Shepard, Campbell
TE: Fant, Gesicki, Ertz, Freiermuth
Devy: Boutte, Young, Slovis, Harris
Team 5: 12-team PPR SF:
QB: Dak, Lance, Jones, Cam
RB: Swift, Sanders, Dobbins, Pollard
WR: Sutton, DJM, Golladay, Chase, Pittman, Kirk, Campbell, Mims, Wallace
TE: Herndon, Gesicki, Freiermuth

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:00 pm

blemly wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 am

I watch every Colts game religiously and I’m sorry but you are just flat out wrong here FF. Yesterday alone he egregiously overthrew or underthrew WRs the entire game. The first INT was inexcusable, but it was one of many mistakes. This has been a recurring theme all year. He gets pressured either deep in his/opponents territory and he just shuts his brain off and makes an inexplicable decision. Happened against the Ravens, 49ers, Rams, and now the Titans. Wentz has the size and arm that teams drool over for QBs, but he suffers from the same deficiencies Jay Cutler did in that he only appears present 80-85% of the time.

Edit: this isn’t to say he is bad, but he isn’t good either. He’s average. Doesn’t possess the ability to take over a game.
What exactly did I say you consider wrong? That they will be 5-5 in 2 weeks? That he hasn't been bad all year? That Mahomes hasn't been more wreckless? You're saying they wouldn't have beaten the Ravens had they not had a hurt kicker? Confused at what part of my statement you consider flat out wrong. The entire thing?

I am not saying Wentz has been lights out, but he's done fairly well IMO with no training camp, playing through 2 ankle sprains, with a really weak WR/TE corps. Hilton got hurt again, and beyond Pittman they have nothing. I'm not saying he's an elite QB, but he's certainly not outside the top 32 like Ice would seem to suggest, and I don't see Wentz getting benched any time soon, as their season is far from over, with 2 very winnable games coming up, and a murky playoff picture in the AFC.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:09 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:00 pm

What exactly did I say you consider wrong? That they will be 5-5 in 2 weeks? That he hasn't been bad all year? That Mahomes hasn't been more wreckless? You're saying they wouldn't have beaten the Ravens had they not had a hurt kicker? Confused at what part of my statement you consider flat out wrong. The entire thing?

I am not saying Wentz has been lights out, but he's done fairly well IMO with no training camp, playing through 2 ankle sprains, with a really weak WR/TE corps. Hilton got hurt again, and beyond Pittman they have nothing. I'm not saying he's an elite QB, but he's certainly not outside the top 32 like Ice would seem to suggest, and I don't see Wentz getting benched any time soon, as their season is far from over, with 2 very winnable games coming up, and a murky playoff picture in the AFC.
Perhaps I snagged the wrong quote for the reply above, but I simply disagree that he has looked like a good QB more than he has a bad one this year. He has looked, at best, average. He has stretches during games where he looks fine, but he inexplicably makes 1-2 unforgivable decisions each week and that’s not considering his other poor tendencies like hanging onto the ball way too long and not recognizing pressure. Sometimes they cost IND, sometimes they don’t.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:53 am Time to sell! A few games like this and he will get benched so Indy can keep their 1st round pick they risked to Philly who had to jumping with glee when they made that deal.
Zero chance they're benching him with their primary divisional rival just losing their best player.

The AFC South is a race to the bottom. They're definitely still in it.

blemly
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby blemly » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:39 pm

mild wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:53 am Time to sell! A few games like this and he will get benched so Indy can keep their 1st round pick they risked to Philly who had to jumping with glee when they made that deal.
Zero chance they're benching him with their primary divisional rival just losing their best player.

The AFC South is a race to the bottom. They're definitely still in it.
We’ll see. Indy is clearly the 2nd best team in the AFC South, but are still a full 3 games back from TEN. Titans also have the easiest schedule in the NFL from here on out, which will make catching them even harder. I don’t anticipate a mysterious injury anytime soon, but if we get past week 11 and they are still 3 games back (or more) I’d expect something like that to occur.
Last edited by blemly on Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Menace2010
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Menace2010 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:40 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Worth at least noting that Hilton was injured in this game because Wentz threw a hospital ball that got him injured... but agree with your overall point that he's been spectacularly mediocre this year and in the AFC South, that may just get you a playoff birth.

What he has not proven though is that he's a franchise QB.