AJ Brown or DJ Moore?

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: AJ Brown or DJ Moore?

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:28 am

AJB for me by about a first, he's been significantly more impressive to me. His rookie year he looked and was about as good as moore's sophomore and now he looks about as good or better than Moore and is in a better situation in year 2 V 3.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:46 am

dynastyninja wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:26 am
Sriracha wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 am
JFever wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:17 am I have them valued fairly close. If I had to chose between the two, I'd lean AJB. I own both in different leagues and wouldn't add much to either - but likely wouldn't trade one for the other anyway. DJ however is still 23 and has all the skills needed for a long productive fantasy career.
How do you not care that he's been usurped by Robby Anderson?
How is that your takeaway from his post?
The only way this is close is if you completely ignore that DJM isn't the alpha on his own team.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:56 am

AJB for me, not all that close.

I’ve never bought the DJM hype. It was crazy to me how many people were listing him as a top 5 dynasty WR in the offseason. He’s a good player but I don’t think he’s any kind of standout NFL talent.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:05 am

Sriracha wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:46 am
Sriracha wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:20 am

How do you not care that he's been usurped by Robby Anderson?
The only way this is close is if you completely ignore that DJM isn't the alpha on his own team.
DJM is easily the most talented WR on that team. That Carolina isn't treating him as such is a situational issue related to QB/staff not a DJM talent issue.
PR0v3 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:56 am AJB for me, not all that close.

I’ve never bought the DJM hype. It was crazy to me how many people were listing him as a top 5 dynasty WR in the offseason. He’s a good player but I don’t think he’s any kind of standout NFL talent.
Notwithstanding the obvious issues with his situation, I still think it is reasonable to have DJM as WR 6-8 or so.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am

hoos89 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:05 am
Sriracha wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:46 am

DJM is easily the most talented WR on that team. That Carolina isn't treating him as such is a situational issue related to QB/staff not a DJM talent issue.
Everyone who defends DJM says he is unquestionably more talented than Anderson. What reasoning is there behind this?
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:14 am

Watch the tape. Anderson is getting fed in spite of DJM being open, sometimes for what would likely be long TDs. DJM has better speed score, burst score, agility score, catch radius, college production, breakout age, and NFL production prior to this season in spite of being 3 years younger. He's made more impressive plays this season when targeted, and has been more consistently getting open on deeper routes for what might be TDs if Teddy would just throw him the ball.

Last night Teddy threw to underneath routes on 3rd downs multiple times when DJM was open for long gains. DJM is performing, but he can't throw himself the ball.

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am

hoos89 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:14 am Watch the tape. Anderson is getting fed in spite of DJM being open, sometimes for what would likely be long TDs. DJM has better speed score, burst score, agility score, catch radius, college production, breakout age, and NFL production prior to this season in spite of being 3 years younger. He's made more impressive plays this season when targeted, and has been more consistently getting open on deeper routes for what might be TDs if Teddy would just throw him the ball.

Last night Teddy threw to underneath routes on 3rd downs multiple times when DJM was open for long gains. DJM is performing, but he can't throw himself the ball.
I don't think it's as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.. or DJM would be the target hog, not Robby.

I still like Moore, but it's definitely an indictment that CAR, and NFL defenses don't see him as their number 1 -- and it's not as if their production thus far has proven their assessments wrong.

AJB on the other hand is the undisputed alpha on his team and has been treated as such (by NFL defenses) since game 3 of his rookie season. He's succeeding despite playing in a position where countless WR's have failed (reminder that he had multiple blow up games with Mariota at QB despite playing less than 50% of the snaps) and comes up with similarly impressive measurables and college production.

Again, I'm not saying that DJM isn't talented.. but we're comparing him to a guy who has the look of a top flight WR for years to come and is proving his worth week after week.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:53 am

Heavily invested in both, and it's AJB. I agree DJM is better than Anderson, but it doesn't really matter what I think. Matt Rhule is still the HC. They haven't even given DJM a carry this season, but they will do that for Samuel, and Anderson.

What DJM did at 22 was pretty incredible, in 14 games, he had 86 catches for almost 1200 yards. It's unfortunate he hasn't been featured more this year, but I really don't think it's an indication of his talent. Anderson is an OK player, but he's getting the featured role in that offense, and that matters. It caps Moore's production. He is still on pace for over 1300 yards, but watching games like last night, where Teddy either misses him when he's wide open, or just doesn't even look his way, is concerning. Moore was targeted 4 times on the last drive, and only had 6 targets. He was an afterthought until that point. The offense struggled, and it's largely due to not getting him the ball IMO, but that staff has clearly shown through 8 games that Anderson is their number 1, as irrational as it may be.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Sriracha wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am
I don't think it's as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.. or DJM would be the target hog, not Robby.

I still like Moore, but it's definitely an indictment that CAR, and NFL defenses don't see him as their number 1 -- and it's not as if their production thus far has proven their assessments wrong.
I don't think the bolded necessarily follows. The best WR doesn't always get the most targets. Look at the TD he scored a couple weeks ago...not many WRs could have scored that.

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:53 am Heavily invested in both, and it's AJB. I agree DJM is better than Anderson, but it doesn't really matter what I think. Matt Rhule is still the HC. They haven't even given DJM a carry this season, but they will do that for Samuel, and Anderson.

What DJM did at 22 was pretty incredible, in 14 games, he had 86 catches for almost 1200 yards. It's unfortunate he hasn't been featured more this year, but I really don't think it's an indication of his talent. Anderson is an OK player, but he's getting the featured role in that offense, and that matters. It caps Moore's production.
One of DJM's TDs last week was on a shuffle pass, so essentially a carry. I do agree that it's weird they haven't used him that way considering he had ~150 rushing yards as a rookie.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:11 pm

hoos89 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:01 pm
Sriracha wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:40 am

I don't think the bolded necessarily follows. The best WR doesn't always get the most targets. Look at the TD he scored a couple weeks ago...not many WRs could have scored that.
DJM's skillset allows him to operate at every quadrant of the field.. so it's not as if Robby is getting the higher valued role simply because DJM's skillset is a bad match with what their offense wants to do.

More damning than Matt Rhule and Brady's decision to feature Robby Anderson is the fact that NFL defenses are also treating Robby as the #1. This is in contrast to AJB who was shadowed by Jalen Ramsey as early as week 3 of last year while playing less than 50% of the snaps. NFL defenses are the most accurate talent evaluators. This also means that Robby is heavily out targeting DJM despite facing tougher defensive coverage...

So, I don't know. There are a lot of factors that lead me to believe you're currently overvaluing the talent gap between Moore and Robby. I agree that DJM is more talented (and this will eventually manifest on the football field), but it looks likely that Robby is the better player at this point in their careers.

AJB on the other hand doesn't have this confluence of indicators against his current ability. He's a stud, who's being treated like a stud.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:41 pm

AJ Brown by far for me. He's more dangerous with the ball in his hand. He has the better quarterback. He bigger and can take more punishment and is harder to bring down.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:57 pm

hoos89 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:14 am Watch the tape. Anderson is getting fed in spite of DJM being open, sometimes for what would likely be long TDs. DJM has better speed score, burst score, agility score, catch radius, college production, breakout age, and NFL production prior to this season in spite of being 3 years younger. He's made more impressive plays this season when targeted, and has been more consistently getting open on deeper routes for what might be TDs if Teddy would just throw him the ball.

Some good points here. I think you can mostly throw the combine metrics out the window a few years in. No one thinks Chris Conely is better than Robby Anderson. The same could be said for college production.

IMO the argument that DJM is better than Anderson hinges on the situation element. Teddy has to be less capable of getting him the ball or Rhule has to be a bad game planner (or both). Interestingly Anderson was pegged as a deep threat early in his career but has been able to be a solid intermediate target for the risk averse Bridgewater. Digression aside while I think this is plausible, I don’t know if anyone can say that DJM is definitively “better” than Anderson. To me it’s less about DJM being good or bad and more about Anderson being better than most anticipated.

Moore has plenty of time and promise to develop into a great WR, but in the context of measuring him against his peers I don’t understand the reasoning that would result in valuing him above a player the same age, also physically impressive and more productive in AJB. It would be helpful to know what relevant variables people are observing in their current play that lead them to value DJM over AJB despite the disparity in production.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:13 pm

I said AJB is more valuable than DJM right now, just that I think that's mostly down to AJB's situation vs DJM's rather than a gap in talent. I think if GB traded Davante Adams for either DJM or AJB either one of them would immediately become the dynasty WR1.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:18 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:28 am I love DJ Moore, but its gotta be brown, both are very young, both are very talented, but Brown is producing more. Obviously Moore is in a terrible spot (low targets, and terrible QB) and isnt producing nearly as much as Brown.
I think bigger problem is that Teddy isn't terrible. He's serviceable, which is by far worse than being terrible, as they'll keep him around for years to come just being mediocre.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:31 pm

Yeah that's a good point...Teddy is terrible for DJM* (so far at least), but he's done enough to keep the job for now. He did play very, very poorly against a poor pass defense last night, though.

*This could also be Rhule's doing? It's really difficult for me to tell whether this is more about Rhule favoring Anderson or Bridgewater making poor decisions.

Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
Andrews, McBride, Engram

Kelce, Dissly, Hooper