No
63%

Total votes: 59

CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Dolphins QB Poll

Postby CGW » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 pm

I'm surprised by the overwhelming sentiment that the dolphins aren't trying to win by starting Tua. Coaches don't start players that they feel cant help them win.

What is the logic otherwise for a team that is in playoff contention?
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Coaches always overrate their systems thinking systems make the players. Get rid of established starters as if players are interchangeable parts. Only to find it doesn't work that way , at least not right away.

I'm guessing Flores thinks Tua can execute the offense and defense will give them a good chance to win. If Tua bombs he can always go back to Fitz but he wants to give the rookie the best chance to have success so 2 weeks to get game plan in is as good as you can do in season.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm

CGW wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 pm I'm surprised by the overwhelming sentiment that the dolphins aren't trying to win by starting Tua. Coaches don't start players that they feel cant help them win.

I think the logic would be that they know that they won’t make a run “if” they get in the playoffs so they would be better off with a higher draft pick. I’m not saying that’s the right way to look at it, personally, I’ve never had that “tank” mentality as a fan but that would be the only reason that a team might do that.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:09 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:00 pm
CGW wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 pm I'm surprised by the overwhelming sentiment that the dolphins aren't trying to win by starting Tua. Coaches don't start players that they feel cant help them win.

I think the logic would be that they know that they won’t make a run “if” they get in the playoffs so they would be better off with a higher draft pick. I’m not saying that’s the right way to look at it, personally, I’ve never had that “tank” mentality as a fan but that would be the only reason that a team might do that.
The thing is... they were in this exact situation last year and they rolled with the limited, veteran QB that gave them the best chance to win.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm

No, the logic is Tua is more talented and has reached the point where he has a strong enough grasp on the system to play, so he's going to play because he's an upgrade over what they have been playing with so far. It's pretty simple, and people are way overthinking it. "Tanking" is no longer necessary because they already have their QB of the future, you don't tank for a non QB, and they have an extra set of top 40 picks thanks to Houston. This season is about developing Tua and the team learning to win, and the best way of accomplishing both is putting him on the field.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:21 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:10 pm

No, the logic is Tua is more talented and has reached the point where he has a strong enough grasp on the system to play, so he's going to play because he's an upgrade over what they have been playing with so far. It's pretty simple, and people are way overthinking it. "Tanking" is no longer necessary because they already have their QB of the future, you don't tank for a non QB, and they have an extra set of top 40 picks thanks to Houston. This season is about developing Tua and the team learning to win, and the best way of accomplishing both is putting him on the field.
Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man😂

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:33 pm

hoos89 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:42 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:37 am He's a more polished Murray, although not as explosive of course.
Not really sure how these QBs are comparable? Doesn't Murray have 4.3x speed? I don't think Tua is particularly fast...they're two different styles of QB.
Kyler never ran at the combine. He look more like a 4.4's guy to me. But Tua is probably 4.8. so different style for sure.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 pm MIA is 3-3, and Fitzpatrick has played well.

I don't see why they'd make this move unless they believed Tua gave them the best chance to win.

Remember that they started Fitzpatrick over Josh Rosen last year, as well.
Realistically, you're not winning a SB this year with either of them - so you might as well see what you have.

The future is Tua, and the future is now. This is not "win now". This is "it's time for Tua to lead this team, results be damned".

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 pm

I find it funny people making a comparison of Miami played Fitzpatrick over Josh Rosen last year. Josh Rosen is not an NFL QB, how do you justify yourself with the rest of the men in the locker room playing Josh Rosen when everyone in the room knows he can't play? If Tua played at that level, he will surely get the hook too.

The plan in the NFL when you draft a QB high in round 1, is to play that QB. The plan was never for Miami to see if the year 2020 will finally be the year that Fitzpatrick brings a team to the playoffs and wins playoff games. What happens if Fitzpatrick is good enough to just miss out on the playoffs in the last game of the season? Answer is, you lost a year of your top talented rookie QB.

Tua will be expected to play well and win. That is the culture Miami is building, with the help of Fitzpatrick, but it's Tua time now.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 pm

remedy29 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 pm I find it funny people making a comparison of Miami played Fitzpatrick over Josh Rosen last year. Josh Rosen is not an NFL QB, how do you justify yourself with the rest of the men in the locker room playing Josh Rosen when everyone in the room knows he can't play? If Tua played at that level, he will surely get the hook too.

The plan in the NFL when you draft a QB high in round 1, is to play that QB. The plan was never for Miami to see if the year 2020 will finally be the year that Fitzpatrick brings a team to the playoffs and wins playoff games. What happens if Fitzpatrick is good enough to just miss out on the playoffs in the last game of the season? Answer is, you lost a year of your top talented rookie QB.

Tua will be expected to play well and win. That is the culture Miami is building, with the help of Fitzpatrick, but it's Tua time now.
The sooner Tua gets acclimated to the NFL, the better. Window to win with a rookie QB's contract, and he needs to get up to speed. This is about the next 3-4 years, not just this year. The Dolphins aren't good enough to win the SB, and I'm sure that's their ultimate goal with Tua. So this is the right move. Had Tua not broken his hip, he probably would have started week 1, or at least earlier than this, IMO.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:02 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:33 pm
hoos89 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:42 am
Space Cowboy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:37 am He's a more polished Murray, although not as explosive of course.
Not really sure how these QBs are comparable? Doesn't Murray have 4.3x speed? I don't think Tua is particularly fast...they're two different styles of QB.
Kyler never ran at the combine. He look more like a 4.4's guy to me. But Tua is probably 4.8. so different style for sure.
Not sure about the comp with Murray, Tua's mobility was always about being able to move out of pocket to throw like Mahomes rather than Murray style runner (I'm not comparing Tua to Mahomes so don't jump on me!!!!)
Tua pre hip surgery I think was faster than a 4.8 haha not by much though, now.... could be a 5.***

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 pm
remedy29 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 pm I find it funny people making a comparison of Miami played Fitzpatrick over Josh Rosen last year. Josh Rosen is not an NFL QB, how do you justify yourself with the rest of the men in the locker room playing Josh Rosen when everyone in the room knows he can't play? If Tua played at that level, he will surely get the hook too.

The sooner Tua gets acclimated to the NFL, the better. Window to win with a rookie QB's contract, and he needs to get up to speed. This is about the next 3-4 years, not just this year. The Dolphins aren't good enough to win the SB, and I'm sure that's their ultimate goal with Tua. So this is the right move. Had Tua not broken his hip, he probably would have started week 1, or at least earlier than this, IMO.
I agree with all this, they are playing to win as most team do, but its more about getting him the reps leading into next year and beyond, most organisations aren't completely inept and know whether or not they have a shot at winning the Owl. Dolphins know they can't win yet but need to get Tua going.
I think Flores is a really good coach and if Tua is the answer, add in all their picks in next draft the team is really looking like they could be a force from 2021-2025. Happy for Flores as a representative of african american coaches (not sure what the pc way to say it is in america) and happy for Dolphins as I've always had a soft spot for them.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:46 pm

On a side note, Fitz going to Dallas would be fun to see.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:53 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:46 pm On a side note, Fitz going to Dallas would be fun to see.
Would be fun, he could be Dak-lite but with larger bust weeks and a similar ceiling

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 pm

I think the answer here is “maybe.” But it’s pretty clearly the right move.

Fitz has given them league average QB play this year. The Dolphins are .500. Tua could conceivably play better than Fitz and boost them into the playoffs. Or he could play worse and help their draft capital. The variance is a good thing.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF