Is Trevor Lawrence the Most Hyped Player of All Time?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TheRealJosh05
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Is Trevor Lawrence the Most Hyped Player of All Time?

Postby TheRealJosh05 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:15 pm

I feel Reggie Bush was more hyped.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:08 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:29 pm
There's no evidence to support the claim that Lawrence is a better prospect than Fields. Breakout age isn't evidence. Looking at the tape, and the stats, it's 1a and 1b.
I kind of disagree, Fields couldn't beat Jake Fromm for the job and transferred. Trevor beat out a Kelly Bryant who took the team to the playoffs the year before.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

kingnesta
Role Player
Role Player

Postby kingnesta » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Trent Richardson was probably the most hyped player that I can remember.
12 team-PPR-49 man roster IDP 1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex(rb/wr/te), K, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 LB, 1 DB, 1 Flex (DL,LB,DB)
QB - Ryan, Winston, McCarron
RB - Hunt, Hyde, CJ Anderson, Dixon, Stewart
WR - Julio Jones, Hopkins, Allen, Jeffrey, Cobb, Moncrief, Floyd, Nelson, Rogers, Godwin
TE - Olsen, Ertz, Doyle, Cook
K - Lutz
DT - McCoy, Linval Joseph
DE - Mario Edwards, Avril, Graham
LB - Kirksey, Alexander, Timmons, Trevathan, McKinney, Minter
DB - Jenkins, Byron Jones

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Trevor Lawrence "Generational Talent?"

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:37 am

I know there are other threads on him but I have noticed recently many people calling him a "generational talent" and it may just be hyperbole, but it's getting under my skin a bit. I know he has talent and is the safest QB pick in this draft, but I don't even think he's the most talented QB in this draft. Maybe not even the 2nd or 3rd most. So stop with the generational talent comments. Go with "Safest Floor QB with upside". That sounds better.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:54 am

I believe Lawrence absolutely is a generational talent. I put him up there as far as prospects with Luck, Manning, and those kinds of guys. They just understand the position and the game and make it look easy, even against strong opposition. They lift all the players around them and make them play better and look better than their talent. These kinds of guys are just rare. Other guys can succeed at their level, but they just have to work so much harder and so much more to get there.

Oddly, I think Fields may be one of those guys too. That’s so unusual to see two such complete players come out at the same time. They do it differently, but they both have that “it” factor going for them.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:24 am

He has a safe floor because he will be drafted #1, get plenty of opportunity, and I believe Urban Meyer will set up an offense to play to his strengths. He is over-hyped as a "generational talent" because he is not as elite as people think. He benefits from a lot of screens and bubble passes (almost half of his throws are 0-5 yds in depth), designed runs, 1st reads being wide open and having better talent around him than his typical opponents. That will not be the case in the NFL and he wont be nearly as effective because of it. With pressure, he often throws off his back foot and inaccurately. He struggled against the teams that matched his teams talent in the last 2 yrs (OSU x 2, LSU). I see a solid floor due to talent, but not generational talent, which I think means only a few come around each generation. There have been 5 or more QBs to come in the last few years that are more talented.

dark_knite03
Captain
Captain

Postby dark_knite03 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:57 am

mgscott wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:24 am He has a safe floor because he will be drafted #1, get plenty of opportunity, and I believe Urban Meyer will set up an offense to play to his strengths. He is over-hyped as a "generational talent" because he is not as elite as people think. He benefits from a lot of screens and bubble passes (almost half of his throws are 0-5 yds in depth), designed runs, 1st reads being wide open and having better talent around him than his typical opponents. That will not be the case in the NFL and he wont be nearly as effective because of it. With pressure, he often throws off his back foot and inaccurately. He struggled against the teams that matched his teams talent in the last 2 yrs (OSU x 2, LSU). I see a solid floor due to talent, but not generational talent, which I think means only a few come around each generation. There have been 5 or more QBs to come in the last few years that are more talented.
Could you list them please.
Est '17 12 Team 1PPR 4-Pass 6-Rush/Recieve TD
Start QB RB RB WR WR TE FX FX SF K DL LB DB
Champion 2021.
Geno, Tlaw, M Jones, D.Carr, White
JT, A Jones, Dobbins,Monty,D.Harris, Reyonds
Dillon,Kelley, Warren, Miller, Hill, Penny, Rivers
Diggs, AJB, Jefferson, Chase, Claypool, Juedy, Deebo,WanDale, Mingo, Boutte
Kittle, Andrews,Njoku
Moody

Superflex Est 19' - - Tiered PPR
QB RB RB WR WR WR/RB TE FX SF K D
Dak, Wilson, Watson
Henry, Chubb, ETN, Swift, Gus, Strong, Ford, Spiller, Chandler, Spears
Godwin, DJM , JJ,Kenaan, AJB, Lockett, Austin, Palmer, Boutte
Andrews, Goedert, Juwan, Woods

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:22 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:54 am I believe Lawrence absolutely is a generational talent. I put him up there as far as prospects with Luck, Manning, and those kinds of guys. They just understand the position and the game and make it look easy, even against strong opposition. They lift all the players around them and make them play better and look better than their talent. These kinds of guys are just rare. Other guys can succeed at their level, but they just have to work so much harder and so much more to get there.

Oddly, I think Fields may be one of those guys too. That’s so unusual to see two such complete players come out at the same time. They do it differently, but they both have that “it” factor going for them.
What do you think generational means?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:38 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:22 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:54 am I believe Lawrence absolutely is a generational talent. I put him up there as far as prospects with Luck, Manning, and those kinds of guys. They just understand the position and the game and make it look easy, even against strong opposition. They lift all the players around them and make them play better and look better than their talent. These kinds of guys are just rare. Other guys can succeed at their level, but they just have to work so much harder and so much more to get there.

Generational Talent

something or someone that is so good that someone/thing equal in quality only comes around a few times in a generation
What do you think it means?

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Trevor Lawrence "Generational Talent?"

Postby stoneghost28 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:34 pm

mgscott wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:37 am I know there are other threads on him but I have noticed recently many people calling him a "generational talent" and it may just be hyperbole, but it's getting under my skin a bit. I know he has talent and is the safest QB pick in this draft, but I don't even think he's the most talented QB in this draft. Maybe not even the 2nd or 3rd most. So stop with the generational talent comments. Go with "Safest Floor QB with upside". That sounds better.
Nah, he is that. I've been watching the NFL Draft live since 1987, the biggest QB's to come out since those days across years of hype were Troy Aikman in '89, Manning in '98, Vick in '01, Palmer in '03, Young in '06 (though young's evaluation was kind of difficult), Bradford in '10 (as crazy as that is to believe now), Luck in '12, Tua pre-injury in '20, and now Lawrence in '21. Lawrence is a lock for the most hyped of those guys not named Luck or Manning, and honestly, I think he was more hyped than Manning because Manning had the knock on his arm (people worried about it) and his big game losses (can't spell Citrus without "UT" line from Spurrier etc). Since Elway, to me, the most well thought of QB prospects were Luck and now Lawrence, the next tier down is the rest I mentioned. I might have forgotten one. The generational talent tag fits, the view of him is as a top of the line, mega elite QB prospect, yes the floor is high, but the concept is, he is a set it and forget it level talent, draft him, and just make sure you give him an OL, and some weapons, and you'll be in the playoffs every year so long as you don't ---- up literally everything else (basically the Colts Luck Model, and still, the Colts made the playoffs mostly, they just got Luck killed enough to where he said the hell with it).

It may sound better to you to say safest floor QB with upside, but it is not reflective of where he's perceived by both tape people, and analytics people. He's on another level then top of the line QB's in drafts with an elite QB class, he's the guy you pray is in your draft when your team hits rock bottom, and earns the #1 pick, and unfortunately never is. There's usually about 1-2 of these guys a decade, and here he is.

In terms of fantasy, dynasty, 2QB/Superflex etc its very different of course, we profit more from dual threat QB's, so guys like Fields and Lance in this class have value that push them closer to Lawrence (and personally I LOVE Fields as a prospect) but still, Fields is basically a Kyler+ type talent to me, while Lawrence is a Luck, Elway level no doubt about it level talent, and also has some dual threat value too as he can definitely run, just won't give you the same # of attempts you'd get from a Lance or Fields.

Anyway, we're all free to our opinions no doubt, and who knows, he might even bust, sometimes the sure things do, but it's pretty rare on guys like this, I can't remember the last guy who had love this epic in scale that failed horribly. Maybe somebody can mention one that comes to mind, the closest I can think of right now is Eli, because Eli was close to this level, not quite, and he ended up league average at best, but a huge big game QB in two QB runs which almost certainly wasn't an aberration or small sample size deal since he did exactly the same kind of big game and comeback style heroics in his Ole Miss days, oh and Sam Bradford, I think younger players probably didn't experience it, or can't remember, but when Bradford was coming up, he was hyped to epic levels circa 2008-2010.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:41 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:11 pm I’m not asking (and I don’t care) if you think the hype is warranted. We’re going to spend all goddamn spring and summer talking about that. I just want to know if you can think of another NFL player that had more hype coming into the league than Lawrence.

I can’t. I think he’s more heavily hyped up than Andrew Luck. If you think somebody has been more hyped than Lawrence, drop it in a reply.
I think he and Luck are nearly identical. The only thing that separates Luck and Lawrence to me in hype is that being a west coaster, and knowing the media centers for college football are more East Coast Based, Lawrence just got more coverage than Luck because his games weren't in the middle of the night for East Coasters. If Luck had played at Clemson, or Alabama or Ohio State instead of Stanford, he would've gotten more play in the media than the already heavy coverage he did actually get. To me Elway-Luck-Lawrence are of a piece, I could add Manning, but I don't think Manning was quite at that level, though if we're doing a Rushmore of the last 40 years of QB's, than Manning would probably be next on the mountain.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:38 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:22 pm

Generational Talent

something or someone that is so good that someone/thing equal in quality only comes around a few times in a generation
What do you think it means?
Seems like we’re making the word meaningless if there were two “generational” talents in one class and another < 10 years ago. It’s like how we started using “GOAT” when we just mean “excellent.” Words lose meaning because of this distinctly American phenomenon where “average” is interpreted to mean “bad,” “good” means “average,” “great” means “good” and then you have to come up with hyperbole to express greatness.

I think, despite what your definition taken directly from Urban Dictionary says, means literally “once in a generation” and should be reserved for like LeBron James, Pele, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, etc.

There IS a generational talent in this class, one who is clearly better than every prospect who has come before him at the position. But it’s not Lawrence, it’s Pitts.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:12 pm

I've given up on using "generational talent" to describe anyone in dynasty. I remember when we called Amari Cooper, Leonard Fournette, Sammy Watkins, and Zeke that.

Agreed with the above that 9/10 these are just good to great prospects, or in Trevor's case an all-time QB prospect.

Haven't seen anyone like a LeBron James in the NFL where it was a no doubt about it, you can tell from watching high school clips, future HOF'er, multiple rings coming in the league. That would be generational.

mgscott
Starter
Starter

Postby mgscott » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:22 pm

dark_knite03 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:57 am
mgscott wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:24 am He has a safe floor because he will be drafted #1, get plenty of opportunity, and I believe Urban Meyer will set up an offense to play to his strengths. He is over-hyped as a "generational talent" because he is not as elite as people think. He benefits from a lot of screens and bubble passes (almost half of his throws are 0-5 yds in depth), designed runs, 1st reads being wide open and having better talent around him than his typical opponents. That will not be the case in the NFL and he wont be nearly as effective because of it. With pressure, he often throws off his back foot and inaccurately. He struggled against the teams that matched his teams talent in the last 2 yrs (OSU x 2, LSU). I see a solid floor due to talent, but not generational talent, which I think means only a few come around each generation. There have been 5 or more QBs to come in the last few years that are more talented.
Could you list them please.
Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert.

This year alone, Fields for sure. Possibly Wilson. Just going by talent for the position.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:34 pm

He’s definitely the most hyped check down artist of all time.

On a serious note he’d be top 3 with Luck and Reggie Bush, no doubt.