2021 Free Agency

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: 2021 Free Agency

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:19 am

dustyroads wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:18 am He's hoping to cash in next year which means showing out this year. Maybe seems like he'd be able to do that better in KC on paper, but it would mean learning a whole new offense and playbook, getting in sync with Mahomes, and IMO having to fight a more talented group for targets. Pittsburgh makes the most sense to me for him to put together a good year and get a better contract next season when the cap jumps up.
Pittsburgh has a pretty talented WR group themselves though that cut into his production this year

I think it's a bet on himself deal

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:27 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:19 am
dustyroads wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:18 am He's hoping to cash in next year which means showing out this year. Maybe seems like he'd be able to do that better in KC on paper, but it would mean learning a whole new offense and playbook, getting in sync with Mahomes, and IMO having to fight a more talented group for targets. Pittsburgh makes the most sense to me for him to put together a good year and get a better contract next season when the cap jumps up.
Pittsburgh has a pretty talented WR group themselves though that cut into his production this year

I think it's a bet on himself deal
Yeah WR to WR they are fairly similar; but Pitt has an empty backfield for now and no Kelce. Also, as much as I like Claypool, he wasn't being utilized to the best of his abilities last year, seemed to almost fall off the map towards the end of the season (I think a victim of playcalling as well as the emphasis on having Ben get the ball out ASAP focusing on short routes). If all that carries into this year, JuJu probably more likely to see more targets in Pittsburgh. He could have also been sold some off the book promises by the organization about targets/usage/a long term deal next year....

Agree its a solid bet on himself deal, I think he/his agent are just taking the less risky route by staying in Pitt. We'll have to see if it pays off for him though; if Steelers pass on QB in the draft this year and Ben goes down..... he will for sure wind up regretting it lol.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:53 am

I'm not a pro athlete, but if I was, my goal would be to win superbowls as a contributor while making millions & millions of dollars. I'm going to KC if that opportunity exists.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:01 pm

jordanzs wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:53 am I'm not a pro athlete, but if I was, my goal would be to win superbowls as a contributor while making millions & millions of dollars. I'm going to KC if that opportunity exists.
I think JuJu just wants the most money. I think he is willing to take a mill or 2 less to come back to the team he knows and has his fanbase. Then when the cap goes up next year, he gets a bigger, longer deal. I think it's smart on his part to maximize money. KC is a thought, but he'd have to move and learn everything, get in sync with the offense. Then move again the next season? I can get why a guy would turn that down.

8M isn't that bad either lol I understand from our standpoint wanting to win SB. I'm sure JuJu thinks PIT has a shot at that though. Not like he went to the Jets

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:15 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:01 pm
jordanzs wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:53 am I'm not a pro athlete, but if I was, my goal would be to win superbowls as a contributor while making millions & millions of dollars. I'm going to KC if that opportunity exists.
I think JuJu just wants the most money. I think he is willing to take a mill or 2 less to come back to the team he knows and has his fanbase. Then when the cap goes up next year, he gets a bigger, longer deal. I think it's smart on his part to maximize money. KC is a thought, but he'd have to move and learn everything, get in sync with the offense. Then move again the next season? I can get why a guy would turn that down.

8M isn't that bad either lol I understand from our standpoint wanting to win SB. I'm sure JuJu thinks PIT has a shot at that though. Not like he went to the Jets
I don't want it to seem like I'm throwing shade because I'm not but I can't imagine looking at Roethisberger at the end of last season and thinking he has another Super Bowl run left in him

They should have ripped the band aid off

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:15 pm

I don't want it to seem like I'm throwing shade because I'm not but I can't imagine looking at Roethisberger at the end of last season and thinking he has another Super Bowl run left in him

No shade, just honesty, and I agree. If they do manage to make it deep in the playoffs it'll likely be on the back of their defense (which after FA now has some definite holes that need filling), and I think they still need a RB, or at least a much improved run game, to make it a possibility.

I get the superbowl goal; but JuJu has played for 4 years and barely cleared $4 million in total earnings. He's going to prioritize getting paid for the sake of his career/family/personal life. When you're sitting on a mountain of money towards the middle/end of your career, it's a lot easier to shift to the superbowl or bust mentality.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:06 pm

I was just going with Rotoworld's mention of KC offering a "similar deal" to Juju.

And I would combine that with KC having more room for production for a talented WR like Juju. Imagine the trio of Tyreek, Kelce, Juju....with a healthy Mahomes throwing the ball. It could be like the 2013 Broncos on crack (Manning throwing to Demaryius, Decker, Julius Thomas).

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm

I agree. For sure, Bens days are numbered. I also think PIT is in the playoffs next year though. Going on a run? That's a different story...

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:25 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm

I agree. For sure, Bens days are numbered. I also think PIT is in the playoffs next year though. Going on a run? That's a different story...
Hmm I'm not sure

I expect the Ravens to be around similar level as last year--slightly better on offense and worse on defense--and the Browns to be better on both ends. Bengals with a healthy Burrow and (hopefully for my Burrow share) Sewell won't be that good unless Burrow is MVP level but certainly better than last year

I don't really think the Steelers were a playoff team from the time they barely beat the Ben Dinucci Cowboys onwards. They'll be in the mix but I don't think it's a given that they make it

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:45 pm

Carson re-ups with Seattle for 3 years, $24M. Year 3 is a void year.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:00 pm

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:00 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/DanGrazianoE ... 8387875847

Lindsay to Houston.
That's a pretty good landing spot.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:16 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:00 pm https://mobile.twitter.com/DanGrazianoE ... 8387875847

Lindsay to Houston.
Yup, a player I have no interest in goes to a team I have no interest in, perfect.

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:34 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:45 pm Carson re-ups with Seattle for 3 years, $24M. Year 3 is a void year.
Perfect. :clap:

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:09 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm

Lindsay to Houston.
Besides the whole Watson situation Houston hasn't had such a bad free agency