Robert Tonyan TE Green Bay

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Robert Tonyan TE Green Bay

Postby Ice » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:52 am

I own him in multiple leagues. He is getting better and Rodgers is liking him. The system is different and so is Rodgers these days. He is hitting the open player a ton in the seam and it is obvious they are calling plays for Tonyan.

TE's are difficult in general as we all know so I understand the skepticism but this player is a strong hold and a must start.

He is a top 3 TE YTD since week 2 with 6 double digit games in scoring over that span. That is worth noting. Obviously he is not in the big 2s class but he is making a case to head up the next tier of wannabees at the position.

Nice match ups as well in weeks 14-16
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:17 am

Another game, another TD. What’s his value? Kind of want to move him to a contender this year for a draft pick. My team is rebuilding as it missed the playoffs. He’s currently the overall te2 right now, although I expect that to drop to 3 after wallers big day. Does Tonyan get better or worse next year?

12 team, non-ppr, passing td = 6
Brady,Cam,Baker
Fournette, M Gordon, Lindsay, Snell, AP, D Evans, Armstead
MT, Hop, Lamb, Parker, OBJ, CJ, Cephus, J Gordon
Henry, Tonyan, Herndon,Warring
Rams, Dolphins
Sanders
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:15 am

I'd say he's Anthony Frikser, he just doesn't have a Jonnu Smith on front of him. I wouldn't overreact, notice he's mostly left wide open. They scehem well and Rodgers works everyone in, it's hard to defend. Good play calling, they're balanced and unpredictable.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:08 pm

Imagine comparing him to Firkser lol. How much more disrespectful can you get.

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:10 pm

I like what I see of him. Good at contested catches. Good route running. Big body. Good blocking.

He's not Kittle or Kelce but he seems like he could find himself in a comfortable spot ESPECIALLY considering he vacuums up anything thrown his way. If he had drop issues I would say Rodgers would make him obsolete.
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:15 pm

He's basically the best pass catcher, fantasy wise, behind Adams on the team. Adams commands 40-50% of the production no matter what though so the ceiling is fairly limited. Tonyan is catching a lot of TD to offset that though. He has 8 to MVS' 4 who is 3rd on team.

He and MVS definitely win in much different ways, but there's a good bit to go around in that offense and as a TE in this barren landscape, you could be doing a lot worse. I'm coming around to him. Might be worth seeing what I can move him for now that I'm out of the playoffs...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:26 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:15 am I'd say he's Anthony Frikser, he just doesn't have a Jonnu Smith on front of him. I wouldn't overreact, notice he's mostly left wide open. They scehem well and Rodgers works everyone in, it's hard to defend. Good play calling, they're balanced and unpredictable.
Maybe just say he is better than a dead guy :D

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:27 pm

Situation>talent for TEs more often than not. Who knows if Tonyan will last, but if Rodgers likes him that's 80% of the battle.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:09 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:08 pm Imagine comparing him to Firkser lol. How much more disrespectful can you get.
Firsker has a 100 yard game this season, Tonyan doesn't. Anyway they're both basically solid pass catching backup TEs. Tonyan had a real nice 98 yard 3 TD game, the rest is ho hum standard TE stuff. He just seems to be on the brink, so to speak, because the position is such a black hole.

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:22 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:09 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:08 pm Imagine comparing him to Firkser lol. How much more disrespectful can you get.
Firsker has a 100 yard game this season, Tonyan doesn't. Anyway they're both basically solid pass catching backup TEs. Tonyan had a real nice 98 yard 3 TD game, the rest is ho hum standard TE stuff. He just seems to be on the brink, so to speak, because the position is such a black hole.
In non-ppr Firsker in week 6 had 17.3 pts. Tonyan had 27.8 in week 4. Let’s remove both those outlier games and see where we’re at.

Firsker would have 20 pts on the year and Tonyan would have 69.9 pts. Doesn’t seem close to me.

WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:32 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:22 pm
In non-ppr Firsker in week 6 had 17.3 pts. Tonyan had 27.8 in week 4. Let’s remove both those outlier games and see where we’re at.

Firsker would have 20 pts on the year and Tonyan would have 69.9 pts. Doesn’t seem close to me.
Titans play much more conservative, plus he's the backup where Tonyan is the starter. Don't froget they have Jace and Deguaria. Both could be more valiable this time next year.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:17 pm

I get the disdain for TE's in general but with Tonyan, he became the go to week 2 and has been the starter ever since. Granted they don't always start a TE but he is the actual #1 TE.

Since week 2 he is the #3 overall TE in PPR leagues.

Since week 6 leaving out his double digit games weeks 2,3,4 he is still the #5 TE overall. He looks legit as a pretty consistent TE. He plays hard and with an attitude. Rodgers likes him which is saying a lot given his history with TE's.

TE's actually matter in LaFleur's offensive system so he is a legit target.

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:25 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:17 pm
I get the disdain for TE's in general but with Tonyan, he became the go to week 2 and has been the starter ever since. Granted they don't always start a TE but he is the actual #1 TE.

Since week 2 he is the #3 overall TE in PPR leagues.

Since week 6 leaving out his double digit games weeks 2,3,4 he is still the #5 TE overall. He looks legit as a pretty consistent TE. He plays hard and with an attitude. Rodgers likes him which is saying a lot given his history with TE's.

TE's actually matter in LaFleur's offensive system so he is a legit target.
So what’s his value, you think? Mid 2nd was what I think. But it’s only worth but people will pay

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:29 pm

IDk how you could value Tonyan as a mid 2nd.

He's solid, but is obviously getting a huge bump because of a severe lack of a WR2 in GB... and I believe GB has more pressure than ever to address that position this off-season.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Alright, setting aside the ridiculous barometer of 100 yard games....

Tonyan is 3 inches taller and 10 pounds lighter. Workout metric percentile ranks are as follows:

40 Yard Dash: 87th vs 27th
Speed Score: 75th vs 11th
Burst Score: 82nd vs 17th
Agility Score: 67th vs 78th
Catch Radius: 78th vs 18th

Now let's look at opportunity:

Snap Share: #30 vs #77
Slot Snaps: #17 vs #23
Routes Run: #19 vs #33
Route Participation: #21 vs #30
Targets: #18 vs #22
Air Yards: #17 vs #26
ADOT: #10 vs #30
Deep Targets: #4 vs #46
Red Zone Targets: #24 vs #24

And finally production:

Receptions: #12 vs #19
Receiving Yards: #9 vs #25
Completed Air Yards: #8 vs #21
Unrealized Air Yards: #33 vs #28
YAC: #12 vs #27
Yards Per Reception: #11 vs #25
Yards Per Target: #4 vs #21
Yards Per Route Run: #5 vs #10
Catch Rate: #1 vs #13

Again, throwing aside the ridiculous barometer of even mentioning 100 yard games, you can very clearly see two completely different types of prospects and two completely different players this season as well.

Tonyan is excellent athlete at the position and his production this year has EXCEEDED his opportunity in nearly every category by a great deal. In other words, he has absolutely maximized his chances and turned them into a top 3 season at the position. He has demonstrated the capability of funneling more of the offense through him.

Firkser, on the other hand, is an abysmal athlete. He 's bigger, clunkier, and has basically produced an average result based on his opportunity vs. production. He's a JAG. He's fine. Won't kill you, but isn't capable of being a main pillar supporting an offense.

These two couldn't be more different and it's an incredibly lazy comparison to just throw out "He's Anthony Firkser". Tonyan is in no way whatsoever a backup TE. He starts, he deserves to start, and produces way above his opportunity, and he has earned the trust of one of the greatest QBs ever.

In a completely different and underwhelming universe, you'll find Firkser.