Anthony McFarland

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anthony McFarland

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:26 am

I didn't get to watch the game, but someone posted all of his touches from his debut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKt9mJln7Y

It looks like the speed & receiving ability translates.

What are your thoughts on his outlook?
Are you buying? If so, at what price?

Dshank87
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Anthony McFarland

Postby Dshank87 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:49 am

Steeler fan here. I watched the whole game. He definitely looked explosive and better than Snell. Knowing how Pittsburgh/Tomlin uses the backfield, I wouldn't want to give more than a couple of 3rds. He wouldn't be a significant contributor unless Conner goes down and I'd still assume a Snell/McFarland committee.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:04 am

Despite Snell's unexpected week 1 blow up, McFarland proved why he is more valuable to PIT. He's faster and much more athletic. Snell likely retains a role absent of Conner but I'd expect McFarland to be the lead back, albeit with much less volume, if Conner gets hurt. Remember that Conner is the most likely starting RB to sustain an injury. I'd try to grab McFarland now before a Conner injury if possible.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 pm

I knew he'd get a chance this year, just wasn't sure when. Great debut - definitely played more than I expected. Excited to see if he continues to be a positive part of the rotation there.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 pm

He got a shot when they didn’t even need to play him. Earlier than expected in just the third week. He’s a hold if two 3rds is the asking. He is the difference maker between the three backs.

That being said, he didn’t look totally comfortable or naturally in his cuts and vision. I think we’ll see him become more comfortable w each passing week he plays.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 am

I'm not buying it. I didn't see him do anything the line didn't provide for him. He was running against one of the worst defenses in the league.

He showed he's fast. We knew that coming in though.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:22 am

jjleurquin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 am I'm not buying it. I didn't see him do anything the line didn't provide for him. He was running against one of the worst defenses in the league.

The Steelers are incredible at making whatever weapons they have look good. I agree that Mcfarland didn't look unstoppable, but he doesn't need to in that offense to produce at a high level.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:24 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:22 am
jjleurquin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 am I'm not buying it. I didn't see him do anything the line didn't provide for him. He was running against one of the worst defenses in the league.

The Steelers are incredible at making whatever weapons they have look good. I agree that Mcfarland didn't look unstoppable, but he doesn't need to in that offense to produce at a high level.
Agreed. Look what they've done with Conner

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am

Jigga94 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:24 am

I concur. I own the guy more because of situation than talent. I don't think Conner is all that great.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am

I concur. I own the guy more because of situation than talent. I don't think Conner is all that great.
Conner actually is pretty high in missed tackles per touch for RBs. Not sure where the narrative that Conner isn't good comes from. Does situation help? absolutely but watch the film by OP and tell me where McFarland did anything to further himself on the field that his line didn't pave for him. I think you're just looking at the stat line 6-42. I haven't seen the talent yet. Keep in mind that the guy who outperformed him his last 2 seasons at maryland is not even on a practice squad right now.

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:38 am

jjleurquin wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am

Conner actually is pretty high in missed tackles per touch for RBs. Not sure where the narrative that Conner isn't good comes from. Does situation help? absolutely but watch the film by OP and tell me where McFarland did anything to further himself on the field that his line didn't pave for him. I think you're just looking at the stat line 6-42. I haven't seen the talent yet. Keep in mind that the guy who outperformed him his last 2 seasons at maryland is not even on a practice squad right now.
Sure, I think Conner is a good player, just not special. I think the “he’s not good” narrative has a lot to do with his lack of speed. He doesn’t jump off the screen to a lot of amateur talent evaluators (myself included).

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:30 am

I'm not buying. Most of his runs were due to great blocking and getting what was available. RBs I buy will make defenders miss at the LOS, he'll create space, he'll lower his hips, burst on his cuts, etc.
1.jpg
1.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 302 times
This was a well-blocked play. McFarland has great speed. The safety came in to contain. McFarland planted an outside foot which caused the safety to slow up and cover inside just a split second. McFarland should have immediately juked back outside where open space and a teammate was blocking considerably well.

The rest is just average to me. He's just a guy.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:23 am

I would make him a priority addition in all leagues. James Conner is highly likely to sustain an injury this season and he has much more juice than Benny Snell who has looked awful outside of one big game against the Giants run defense. I think the Steelers got a steal here because of his final season injury.