Buy Low/Sell High

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
tombonneau
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Buy Low/Sell High

Postby tombonneau » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:02 am

mullmania wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm In 2016 Tampa was the 16th ranked passing offense going for 3,926 yards

In 2017 Tampa was the 4th ranked passing offense going for 4,366 yards

My basic point was in a year that Tampa was a top 4 passing offense Mike Evans production didn't seem to mimic the teams rise.
This is the most incisive comment in this entire thread. Evans could easily bounce back, but this point really renders the Hopkins comparison a little irrelevant. I was going to go in and make a really strong offer for Evans as I always liked him, but need dig deeper and think about it a bit more now.

Sometimes not doing anything is the best thing you can do ...

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:45 am

motherlode wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:06 am
Ice wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 pm
Richardson sure looks like the Slot WR for this year.
I have read nothing anywhere that says anyone but Crowder will be the slot WR in Washington this year. Perhaps im mistaken, but i thought Richardson's main skill set was as an outside/deep threat WR. Slot WR was not a role he had in Seattle (Baldwin mans the slot there) so im not sure why he would all of a sudden start playing there in Washington.

Hogan had 54 Targets in his first 8 games last year.
You dont think that had anything to do with Tom Bradys 150 target a season binkie Julian Edelman not playing a snap in the regular season last year? Using last year to predict this year just seems disingenuous. Why not base this years production on 2016 , when Hogan had 38 receptions for 700 yards and 4 TD with a healthy Edelman?

I get that Edelman is likely facing a suspension, but what evidence is there that as soon as the suspension is over, the Patriots offense doesnt go back to business as usual, which is Brady peppering Edelman and Gronk with 250-280 targets a year and then spreading the rest around to a cast of thouands?

Crowder has warts to be sure, and did not have a great first half of 2017, but unless i was an Edelman owner in desperate need of a 4 week suspension fill in, or if i thought there was some chance i could acquire Hogan, hope he blows up in week1 thru 4 and then flip him (although i doubt anyone is so gullible as to trade anything of substance for a 4 week wonder on the eve of Edelman being reactivated) im taking Crowder everytime.
Unbelievable,

First of all, I gave you my insight. If you think it disingenuous then you sir are devoid of reasoning. What is disingenuous is cherry picking as if that is the only the metric I used. If you want to go back to 2016 take a look at his playoffs in 2016. 17 receptions on 23 targets with 332 yards and 2 TD's over those 3 games. To put his performance in some perspective. Julio Jones who also had a massive playoff run caught 19 of his 24 targets for 334 yards and three touchdowns.

Edleman should only help Hogan when he returns While he is back, after a year off, Cooks is gone. Target distribution should remain high for Hogan, Edleman, and Gronk.

Never said Hogan would be a stud. I stand by he is a very good value buy given the situation and the moves the Patriots have made.

In 2016, Hogan was outstanding in the playoffs
In 2017 he was top 10 through the first 8 weeks before injured
NE Traded Cooks and kept Hogan

A blind man should see with any research at all that Hogan is a value upside play as the masses try to focus on players like Crowder.

Nothing against Crowder BTW but ignore these type of situations at your own risk.
Crowder most likely will be WR3 in production on his own team in 2018 as it is obvious the moves the Redskins have made do not favor Crowder.

Richardson has the speed and quickness to be a serious slot play both inside and and out. While not quite T. Hill on this he is close and one of the fastest players in the entire league. Ourlads has already moved Richardson into the starting SWR on their 2018 depth chart. He is actually the upside candidate to be buying on the Redskins if one is looking that direction for an upside play.

TE production excluded as both QB's love to throw to TE's.

BTW, Seattle moves WR's all over the place. TE's and WR's man the slot in their scheme. Think you will find Richardson lines up in the slot around 10% of the time. Baldwin looks to be in the slot 50-55% of the time. I am sure you can find those numbers someplace.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:50 am

I'd try to acquire Hogan but his owner is an a-hole, so I likely won't get anywhere.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:02 am

UATahoe wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:59 pm Honestly baffled how swapping out Crowder for Hogan closes the gap for you.

I definitely think Crowder is a great buy low. Especially with Alex Smith and his propensity to throw to his slot receiver.
How you evaluate players is certainly up to you and I am not trying to be difficult here but I will say I have 30 years of experience and study teams, their GM moves, and players at many levels.

For those inquiring minds:

Here are the early findings about these two players. Hogan should be WR1 for the Patriots. I suspect he will lead the team in targets outside of Gronk.

While there is some truth that Smith does like to throw to his slot WR, certainly more than his Outside WR2, I would study up on the Redskins if I were you.

Doctson is WR1
Crowder is WR2
Richardson sure looks like the Slot WR for this year.

Do you realize the Redskins signed Richardson to a 40 million dollar contract? He also received a 10 million dollar signing bonus.

If you want to dive into Hogan a bit more look at his first 8 games before he got hurt. Even with two poor games he was the 10th ranked WR in the league. Further, the Pats didn't even blink worrying about changes when they traded away Cooks. (WHY) Hogan was a late bloomer to football and his skill set has been getting better every year on film.

The situations heavily favors Hogan here. The Pats are not stupid. When one studies the film between Cooks and Hogan it provides insight as to how these two played in the Pat's system.

I didn't just throw out Hogan there for no reason. That was by design. Hogan is one of the top under the radar WR in the league today.

Hogan had 54 Targets in his first 8 games last year. Cooks also had 54 targets in those game and while Cooks had 1.8 More TOTAL points over that span Hogan outscored him more games over that span.

Hope this helps!
Sorry, but your 30 years of experience is not paying dividends on this evaluation of the Redskins receiving corp. As a die-hard fan of the team, I can tell you Crowder will be primarily working out of the slot in 3 WR sets. He will also likely get some action outside in 2-wide sets. And whomever posted his "stats" for last year above was way off.

The offense this year is under renovations due to the drafting of the first legit running back we've had since Portis. Initially I though P Rich would play the D Jax role, which is a week to week wild card with lots of booms and busts. Things could really look much different with Guice this year though. My belief is that the Skins would prefer their top receivers to be Reed, Crowder, and Thompson in an ideal scenario. Reed's health likely will not cooperate with that plan, and Thompson is injury prone as well. So at some point I fully expect Doctson and P Rich to be relevant, although neither to be reliable fantasy starters.

As for Doctson, he has a ton of talent and flashes it repeatedly, but he is a massive tease. I'd be hard pressed to name a receiver who just barely missed out on more incredible plays last year. My opinion is that's just who he is, not a sign of future success. I don't see a lot of fight from him...he doesn't have the dog in him to make the leap. If it clicks for him though he has a low end WR1 profile.

So...buy Crowder and hope for a solid 70/1000/5. Not mucnh more upside there. Buy P Rich in Best Ball or as a weekly wild card guy. And buy Doctson if you don't mind a high probability that you'll be disappointed.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:11 am

Don't think I don't evaluate the Redskins WR corp. Rarely buy any of their WR's. Their passing game doesn't really revolve around any one WR. That said, If you are a true fan then you better hope Richardson and Doctson develop into the threats they drafted Doctson for and paid through the nose for Richardson this past off season.

Reed is an outstanding talent. If he could remain healthy this team would be a threat instead of bottom dwellers.

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 am

Ice wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:11 am Don't think I don't evaluate the Redskins WR corp. Rarely buy any of their WR's. Their passing game doesn't really revolve around any one WR. That said, If you are a true fan then you better hope Richardson and Doctson develop into the threats they drafted Doctson for and paid through the nose for Richardson this past off season.

Reed is an outstanding talent. If he could remain healthy this team would be a threat instead of bottom dwellers.
Well, you specifically said PRich sure looks like the slot receiver. Truth is Crowder owns the slot and will also get some bonus run outside. That is a very important distinction as it raises Crowder's ceiling and lowers Richardsons.

P Rich's deal is in reality only 3 yrs/$20m. Easy out after that. It's not cheap but commensurate with what the top of the FA market gets (which speaks to how weak this crop was that he's in the top of the market).

But you already knew that, because you "have 30 years of experience and study teams, their GM moves, and players at many levels. " :roll:

Misinformation combined with a undeserved superiority complex. It's so easy to spot Dallas fans.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 am

skinfanjon wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 am
Ice wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:11 am Don't think I don't evaluate the Redskins WR corp. Rarely buy any of their WR's. Their passing game doesn't really revolve around any one WR. That said, If you are a true fan then you better hope Richardson and Doctson develop into the threats they drafted Doctson for and paid through the nose for Richardson this past off season.

Well, you specifically said PRich sure looks like the slot receiver. Truth is Crowder owns the slot and will also get some bonus run outside. That is a very important distinction as it raises Crowder's ceiling and lowers Richardsons.

P Rich's deal is in reality only 3 yrs/$20m. Easy out after that.
As a Fan I would think you would be up on contracts or at least check your work. Your statement is misleading.

Here are the actual contract details: If you still believe I am wrong on his contract please show us the actual contract correction link. All contracts have outs in the NFL. What is true is Richardson's signing bonus is over $7,000,000 more than Crowder's rookie contract. Instead of extending Crowder, in this his last year, they went out and Paid Richardson.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-r ... son-14454/

I know you think Crowder owns the slot, and he could as it is early, but the real truth is no one owns anything in the NFL. It is earned.

Players today may be designated for a position but they move around often. If one were to look at T Hill as an example, he lined up in the slot in 2016 just under 23% of the time but around 40% of his targets came from that position. Last year, 31% of routes from the slot and averaged 23.5 Yards per catch there. Teams will play to a players strength these days and offenses are extremely complex. Obviously Hill excelled in separation ability out of the slot.

What the Redskins have going for them is Smith in particular is ultra conservative in that he doesn't really throw players open but excels when players gain separation. The fastest player on offense will be Richardson by a good margin. This team, if they know what they are doing will certainly try to create mismatches because speed kills and if you study the defenses in the NFC East they play a lot of cover 2 and 3 and do not move the back 7 very often.

Richardson sure does look like the slot WR, not every play because there is no such thing but getting him inside will help facing the DB2 or DB3 and his most effective work will/should be there.

Richadrson's, length, speed, hand-size, and quickness are all better than Crowder's. He is not without faults in his own game but thinking he is a lock to play just outside would be wrong IMO. I imagine his opponents hope you are right as his skill set on routes coming out of the slot are better since it is hard to press cover players in the slot.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:38 am

Robert Davis. THE name to watch in Washington :)

(IMHO / in my deluded perfect world selfish opinion given I have him in my taxi squad)

The serious point I came to make though is that it seems that the whole WR pecking order is up in the air though, and anyone could emerge this year - based on the non-consensus of people's opinions. Probably one I'll be staying clear of
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for posting the link to the contract. As I said, first 3 years are $20M, then they can move on for a reasonable dead cap hit of $4M. I made no comparison of his contract to Crowder's. It is true though that the Skins have made an effort to re-sign players they want to keep before the start of their walk year. There is still time before the season, so we'll see.

Seems you want to double-down on your "Richardson sure looks like the slot receiver" statement. Based on what, exactly? That he's faster and taller than Crowder? Well, he is faster, quicker, and longer than Doug Baldwin. Stands to reason he'd be in the slot in Seattle, right?

Richardson ran 9.4% of his routes from the slot last year: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/paul-richardson/

And it just so happens Crowder is a pretty damn good slot receiver. And he actually HAS earned his spot: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... separation

So yeah, Crowder owns the slot. he's also the most veteran receiver we have and knows the offense the best, so I would fully expect him to be lined up outside in 2 wide sets. Could they decide to move him around a bit? Well yeah, sure. He could be featured, which would increase his ceiling...but past results are the most likely predictor of future performance.

Maybe you should give us a breakdown on Cole Beasley. That's more up your alley.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:10 am

Regardless of me being a fan of the Cowboys and Texans, my analysis of these players didn't even take those teams into consideration outside defensive schemes.

So you M.O. is to attack posters based on which particular team they root for? >>>>> HMMMM Very Mature of you!

Good Luck!

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 am

Ice wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:10 am Regardless of me being a fan of the Cowboys and Texans, my analysis of these players didn't even take those teams into consideration outside defensive schemes.

So you M.O. is to attack posters based on which particular team they root for? >>>>> HMMMM Very Mature of you!

Good Luck!
See, when you say things like "I have 30 years of experience and study teams, their GM moves, and players at many levels. ", you're inviting backlash. Particularly when you're wrong. And extra particularly when you grab yourself a double helping of wrong.

As if you're the only one who spends part of their free time studying some football.

And who the hell has two teams??? :roll:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14 am

skinfanjon wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 am
Ice wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:10 am Regardless of me being a fan of the Cowboys and Texans, my analysis of these players didn't even take those teams into consideration outside defensive schemes.

Good Luck!
See, when you say things like "I have 30 years of experience and study teams, their GM moves, and players at many levels. ", you're inviting backlash. Particularly when you're wrong. And extra particularly when you grab yourself a double helping of wrong.

As if you're the only one who spends part of their free time studying some football.

Wasn't attacking anyone, I actually have over 30 years of playing this game. I do study this game a lot. I actually have done cheat sheets and rankings for websites, and use to write a articles for a couple.

None of this means others do not do lots of research or have takes often better than mine on certain topics. What I do try to provide are facts to go along with why I post the things I do.

If you wish to criticize the information or me personally then that is on you and your right. Others will judge your takes. My hope is the readers of my posts may actually gain an understanding of a the few players I may discuss at length. I am certain many have not considered some of what I have provided so that may help, be ignored, or acted upon.

Someone asked because they were baffled why I mentioned Hogan. Someone said it was disingenuous why I only looked at 8 games. Due to these questions I went back further to include the last 11 games which included his breakout playoff performance. I bought Hogan personally in many leagues way before his breakout. I bought him when he left the Bills for the Patriots. (different reasons, different topic)

Crowder could in fact become a better player than Richardson. The GM moves suggest otherwise and that should be considered.

Agree or not is fine by me since I only manage my teams.

We all miss on players: Feel free to rake me over the coals after the season if you think my projections are wrong. That doesn't bother me at all after the fact.

These posts are about players I think are better buy low candidates today based on all the factors I have mentioned.

Perhaps you don't think that is a service or worth the readers time. I happen to think most would like to hear others takes as opposed to telling me to analyze the Cowboys WR situation which had zero to do with these players.

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:34 am

Sell High
McKinnon
Drake
Barkley
Engram
Thielen
Arob

Buy Low
Evans
DJ
Landry
H Henry
Ty Hilton

Mixed, depending on personal view
D Henry
A Cooper
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:42 am

This thread is becoming worthy of the "Popcorn" discussion. That is, if it wasn't locked... :think:
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 am

Ice wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14 am
skinfanjon wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 am

Good Luck!

Wasn't attacking anyone, I actually have over 30 years of playing this game. I do study this game a lot. I actually have done cheat sheets and rankings for websites, and use to write a articles for a couple.

None of this means others do not do lots of research or have takes often better than mine on certain topics. What I do try to provide are facts to go along with why I post the things I do.

If you wish to criticize the information or me personally then that is on you and your right. Others will judge your takes. My hope is the readers of my posts may actually gain an understanding of a the few players I may discuss at length. I am certain many have not considered some of what I have provided so that may help, be ignored, or acted upon.

Someone asked because they were baffled why I mentioned Hogan. Someone said it was disingenuous why I only looked at 8 games. Due to these questions I went back further to include the last 11 games which included his breakout playoff performance. I bought Hogan personally in many leagues way before his breakout. I bought him when he left the Bills for the Patriots. (different reasons, different topic)

Crowder could in fact become a better player than Richardson. The GM moves suggest otherwise and that should be considered.

Agree or not is fine by me since I only manage my teams.

We all miss on players: Feel free to rake me over the coals after the season if you think my projections are wrong. That doesn't bother me at all after the fact.

These posts are about players I think are better buy low candidates today based on all the factors I have mentioned.

Perhaps you don't think that is a service or worth the readers time. I happen to think most would like to hear others takes as opposed to telling me to analyze the Cowboys WR situation which had zero to do with these players.
Just so you know I am considering buying Hogan, your points do click with me.
So don't think no one is reading =)
I am actually enjoying this thread a lot.
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh