OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Buy Low/Sell High

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:29 am

skinfanjon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:42 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:35 pm
skinfanjon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 pm

He is for me. I made two deals to get him so far this offseason, both teams are very strong contenders.

Diontae, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd for Robinson

Tyreek, Pittman for McLaurin, Robinson

1st team was desperate for a young RB and those picks will be late unless injuries hit super hard. Finished 2nd last year in one of the worst bad beats ever. Also wanted out on Diontae and couldn't find any takers.

2nd team also need a RB pretty badly. Won the chip 2 out of 3 seasons.

The first one feels like a bit of a value overpay but if he has the same numbers as last year it's worth it. And with Lawrence coming can't imagine the offense isn't better. Figure they take another WR early too.
Diontae Johnson plus a 1st and 2nd is bordering on a 1st round startup price. I like James Robinson and I have multiple copies, and I think that’s a fair price for him. I just think you’d have to value him like a Top 12 1QB asset to say that you “bought low” at that price.
Depends on where you value the picks. Not gonna get into the weeds as to why but I'd say it's 90% they are at worst 1.09 and 2.09. Plus Diontae, who I think will be an 8th or 9th round startup value next year, for a top 10 RB in his 2nd year. That's a clear win.

Could be wrong. I take chances on trades and win a whole lot more than I lose.
Like I said, it’s fine. I just wouldn’t be surprised if that got you somebody like Dobbins or Akers. You can say it’s a win because you’re selling an asset that you think will depreciate, and that’s cool, but you’re making a case that it’s a “sell high” of Diontae rather than a “buy low.”

For it to be a buy low, you’d have to value Robinson above the market value of what you just paid, which seems to be in that Dobbins-Akers tier.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

skinfanjon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby skinfanjon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:29 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:29 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:35 pm

Diontae Johnson plus a 1st and 2nd is bordering on a 1st round startup price. I like James Robinson and I have multiple copies, and I think that’s a fair price for him. I just think you’d have to value him like a Top 12 1QB asset to say that you “bought low” at that price.
Depends on where you value the picks. Not gonna get into the weeds as to why but I'd say it's 90% they are at worst 1.09 and 2.09. Plus Diontae, who I think will be an 8th or 9th round startup value next year, for a top 10 RB in his 2nd year. That's a clear win.

Like I said, it’s fine. I just wouldn’t be surprised if that got you somebody like Dobbins or Akers. You can say it’s a win because you’re selling an asset that you think will depreciate, and that’s cool, but you’re making a case that it’s a “sell high” of Diontae rather than a “buy low.”

For it to be a buy low, you’d have to value Robinson above the market value of what you just paid, which seems to be in that Dobbins-Akers tier.
I tried for Akers, got a quick reject saying he's not trading him. I prefer Robinson to Dobbins. This is part of my point though. The fact there is an Akers-Dobbins tier that Rob is not part of is kind of absurd, considering he ran laps around them last year. Sometimes just being able to acquire the player, even for a market offer or slightly better, IS the buy low. I'm not going to quibble over the definition but that's how I look at it, particularly with young RBs going that high in startups.

In any case....he is a guy that is being underrated at the moment and I would suggest trying to trade for. He outscored Dobbins by 100 points last year and noone seems to care much.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:31 am

skinfanjon wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 pm
MFundercover wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm James Robinson a buy low?

With a weak RB draft class, the chances of him holding off whatever competition he gets seem good right now. And if he plays at the level he did again next year it seems likely to me that he will be treated like a proven NFL asset at that point. I understand his circumstances around being a udfa create risk, but if he was a 2nd round pick, what would the community be trading for him this offseason? In other words, if he is able to establish himself going forward he will be worth significantly more than you can pay for him now.
He is for me. I made two deals to get him so far this offseason, both teams are very strong contenders.

Diontae, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd for Robinson

Tyreek, Pittman for McLaurin, Robinson

1st team was desperate for a young RB and those picks will be late unless injuries hit super hard. Finished 2nd last year in one of the worst bad beats ever. Also wanted out on Diontae and couldn't find any takers.

2nd team also need a RB pretty badly. Won the chip 2 out of 3 seasons.

The first one feels like a bit of a value overpay but if he has the same numbers as last year it's worth it. And with Lawrence coming can't imagine the offense isn't better. Figure they take another WR early too.
You bought him, but by no means are either of those deals buy low. You bought him expecting him to build upon last year. you paid full price
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:45 am

If johnson, a first and a 2nd puts me into fringe round 1 startup range.... I'm pegging Johnson as a screaming sell high

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 am

Mjvb5 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:45 am If johnson, a first and a 2nd puts me into fringe round 1 startup range.... I'm pegging Johnson as a screaming sell high
I don’t disagree with this at all.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

ravn88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ravn88 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 am

skinfanjon wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:29 am

I tried for Akers, got a quick reject saying he's not trading him. I prefer Robinson to Dobbins. This is part of my point though. The fact there is an Akers-Dobbins tier that Rob is not part of is kind of absurd, considering he ran laps around them last year. Sometimes just being able to acquire the player, even for a market offer or slightly better, IS the buy low. I'm not going to quibble over the definition but that's how I look at it, particularly with young RBs going that high in startups.

In any case....he is a guy that is being underrated at the moment and I would suggest trying to trade for. He outscored Dobbins by 100 points last year and noone seems to care much.
I wouldnt necessarily look at it that way. Unless you belive that it will happen again this year.

And I think Dobbins will have far more carries this year.

Dobbins did also have 100 points or more on Barkley and CMC that dosent equal to heller be that much better this year. Same logic with Robinson vs Dobbins.
Team 1 : 1QB 2RB 3 WR 1TE 1Flex 1K 1TM 2 IR 12 Keepers

QB: Carson Wentz, P. Mahomes
RB: A. Jones, MGIII, Dobbins, L. Bell, Ingram, J Williams & Gaskin
WR: D. Hopkins, J. Jones, K. Allen, J Crowder, Humpries & Agolor
TE: E. Engram, Trey Burton, V Davis & J. Doyle

Team 2: 1QB 1 SF 3RB 5WR 2TE 2FLEX DEF 26 Keepers 2019 Champ :thumbup: 2020 third place

QB: J. Allen Wentz Watson D. Lock.
RB: Barkley Zeke CEH J. Robinson D. Freeman Penny
WR: M. Thomas Cooper Godwin Juju J. Washington Renfrow, Jeudy, R. Moore TreQuan, P. Williams
TE: Waller Engram OJH & Everett
DEF: Pats & Browns

Team 3: 1QB 1SF 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLEX DEF K

QB: Wilson Wentz Tannehill Brees Haskins Foles
RB: CMC Zeke Miles CEH AP J. Jackson B. Scott
WR: Evans Adams Landry Metcalf E. Sanders Lazard
TE: Engram Hurts Ebron Herndon

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:09 am

ravn88 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 am
skinfanjon wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:29 am

I wouldnt necessarily look at it that way. Unless you belive that it will happen again this year.

And I think Dobbins will have far more carries this year.

Dobbins did also have 100 points or more on Barkley and CMC that dosent equal to heller be that much better this year. Same logic with Robinson vs Dobbins.
I'm impartial to either, but JR having 100 more carries and triple the targets doesn't make the comparison apples to apples. We don't get credit for last year's production.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

Kelldon
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Kelldon » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:40 pm

JR had something like 85% of carrie share because of injuries and Covid to other rb's on team. I'm not sure he gets 85% share again, prolly more like 70% share. I would not be surprised if he is a complete backup or lesser half of a committee in 2 years.
Twitter: @Kelldon83
Fffaceoff.com
Band of Brothers - 10team ppr/idp 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1K, 3LB, 3DE, 3DB, 1Def Flex

Championships: 2010, 2015, 2017, 2021
QB: Wilson, Murray, Mac Jones
RB: Kamara, Swift, Chubb, Mixon, A. Ekeler, Dameon Pierce, K. Hunt, G. Edwards, Brian Robinson, K. Herbert
WR: Deebo, Nuk, MT13, A.Robinson, Golladay, C. Samuel, M. Pittman, C. Patterson, P. Campbell, J. Washington
TE: M. Andrews, Goedert, Taysom Hill
K: Tucker

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:35 pm

Kelldon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:40 pm JR had something like 85% of carrie share because of injuries and Covid to other rb's on team. I'm not sure he gets 85% share again, prolly more like 70% share. I would not be surprised if he is a complete backup or lesser half of a committee in 2 years.
Not a stretch, since the average length of career for an NFL player is roughly 3.5 years. That's the case for most players.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Kelldon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:40 pm JR had something like 85% of carrie share because of injuries and Covid to other rb's on team. I'm not sure he gets 85% share again, prolly more like 70% share. I would not be surprised if he is a complete backup or lesser half of a committee in 2 years.
Robinson's 2020 opportunity share is exactly why I haven't even sniffed around for him for 2021 and on. Good on anyone who grabbed him late in a rookie draft or off FA last year, but in a new offense with a QB upgrade, not only will the opportunity share go down, but so will the total RB touches. That doesn't lead me to believe a repeat is on tap.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:19 pm

krtbuckeye wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:45 pm
Robinson's 2020 opportunity share is exactly why I haven't even sniffed around for him for 2021 and on. Good on anyone who grabbed him late in a rookie draft or off FA last year, but in a new offense with a QB upgrade, not only will the opportunity share go down, but so will the total RB touches. That doesn't lead me to believe a repeat is on tap.
Jax was already dead last in number of rushes last season as a team so I'm not sure you are going to see a huge dropoff in RB touches. I do think the opportunity share will go down though.

However they may have a more positive game script and more scoring opportunities than last season. If he is given the 3 down role and 70% of the market share, he will be an RB1 next season.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:09 pm

skinfanjon wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:29 am I prefer Robinson to Dobbins.
Counterpoint.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNSxsxNgWfw/

The defense rests, your honour.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:40 pm

The Godwin Complex wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 pm

I actually think James Robinson/Carlos Hyde will be the next coming of MJD/Fred Taylor. It will be fun to watch the resurgence of the Jaguars.
You guys are over here arguing about what's a fair price to pay for Robinson and I'm looking at this here..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I looked multiple times and I didn't see a hint of sarcasm anywhere...

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 pm

Lumps wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:40 pm

I actually think James Robinson/Carlos Hyde will be the next coming of MJD/Fred Taylor. It will be fun to watch the resurgence of the Jaguars.
You guys are over here arguing about what's a fair price to pay for Robinson and I'm looking at this here..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Carlos Hyde and Travis Fulgham are league winners, duh...

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:44 pm

Lumps wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:40 pm

I will not provide sarcasm, but this is a lofty prediction.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts