Buy Low/Sell High

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
reddaddy32
Role Player
Role Player

Top Buy low/Sell High Candidates

Postby reddaddy32 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:20 am

Hey all, Just wondering your thoughts on who the top buy low and sell high candidates might be. I have a young team that just started this year, and am way out of the running, so looking to give value to contenders this year to try and bolster my depth for years to come.

The obvious that I know of for buy low is Britt, probably mendenhall, possibly blount (though he has looked better recently), Peyton Manning (if you think he can come back...), and if I had to pick a 5th, probably someone like Bradford in a dynasty league.

As for sell high, I would go with someone like Cam Newton, Fred Jackson (only in dynasty as he is like 30), Sproles if people still think he gonna keep doing what he doing, Steve Smith (CAR), and probably say like a Tony Gonzalez if you can find a contender to bite.

Just wondering other peoples thoughts, largely because I see a lot of ridiculous trades in the trade thread, and I want to start getting those trades to fall in line for myself :D
Start 1 QB/TE/K/DEF,2RB/3WR or 1RB/4WR 1PPR,12 Team

QB:Locker, Schaub, Tannehill, R Wilson
RB:J Bell, Charles, K hunter, Murray, J Stewart
WR:Benjamin, Cobb, Fitzgerald, Nicks, M Williams, Rob Woods
TE:Gronkowski, Green, Housler
3.02, 4.02
WR: Cal Johnson, Broyles, Hankerson, St Johnson, M Jones, D Moore, D Thomas, Wheaton
TE: Gresham, Rudolph
K: Janikowski
1.07, 2.06, 3.07, 4.06

reddaddy32
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Top Buy low/Sell High Candidates

Postby reddaddy32 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:27 am

Guys I apologize for making a double thread. There is a thread started already, and can be found at

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/dl ... =5&t=22308

Moderators, you can close this thread.
Start 1 QB/TE/K/DEF,2RB/3WR or 1RB/4WR 1PPR,12 Team

QB:Locker, Schaub, Tannehill, R Wilson
RB:J Bell, Charles, K hunter, Murray, J Stewart
WR:Benjamin, Cobb, Fitzgerald, Nicks, M Williams, Rob Woods
TE:Gronkowski, Green, Housler
3.02, 4.02
WR: Cal Johnson, Broyles, Hankerson, St Johnson, M Jones, D Moore, D Thomas, Wheaton
TE: Gresham, Rudolph
K: Janikowski
1.07, 2.06, 3.07, 4.06

Howat
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

My buy low and sell high's

Postby Howat » Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 am

I'm no professional but I am in over 20 fantasy leagues and spend a lot of time on this wonderful hobby. Thought I would share this with you guys so we could talk about it. Let me know what you think. Cheers.

Sell HIgh

Aaron Rodgers
He's the best in the game but his concussions scare me. If I had him on any of my teams, I would try to get a Kaepernick, Stafford or Matt Ryan plus a player like Alshon Jefferey or Michael Floyd.

Robert Griffin
Having to hold a roster spot for his handcuff in Cousins really bothers me. Would gladly trade both of them for Kaepernick or Cam Newton. Maybe he changes his running style and starts going down before contact but I don't want to risk it.

LeSean McCoy
He's got all the skills to be a bell cow but I don't think Chip Kelly is going to play him like one. Bryce Brown was really explosive late last season and I think he takes a bunch of carries away from LeSean. If the second year Bryce Brown can fix his fumbling, goal line carries could be all his for the taking.

Arian Foster
Heres a guy I would never draft because his handcuff is a must own. If I spend a first round pick on a player, I don't want to have to draft his back up in the 8th round or earlier. Peterson, Spiller, or Charles would be who I would go after in an even swap.

Marshawn Lynch
It had to be troubling to a Lynch owner when the Seahawks drafted a running back in the second round. Makes me think the Seahawks could want to part ways after the 2013 season when his guaranteed money runs out. Turbin is a banger and scouts say Michael is something special. I think its time to get off the Lynch train.

Alfred Morris
Mike Shanahan hates your fantasy team and Alf could be benched at any time. Chris Thompson is a rookie that I'm keeping my eye on. Here's a video of him playing against Wake Forest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoCli8BlPs

Stevan Ridley
Boggles my mind how high this guy goes in start ups. I think Vereen is the more talented of the two and Blount is a better goal line back. I don't see Ridley reproducing the numbers he did in 2012.

Demaryius Thomas
There are only so many balls to go around in Denver. Even if he does put up top ten numbers, Peyton only has two years left. I would get rid of him for a Cobb or Harvin.

Buy Low

Jake Locker
Heres a kid that would of went first overall if he didn't stay at Washington one more year. Couple new blockers, WR Hopkins, and a solid blocking tight end in Delanie Walker make Locker a very tempting QB2. His ceiling is huge. Like him way higher than he's being drafted.

Jay Cutler
I'm from Canada so I heard a lot about Mark Trestman when he coached the Montreal Alouettes to an overall record of 59-31 with two Grey cup wins. The guys an offensive guru and should propel Jay Curtler into the top ten for quarterbacks.

Chris Johnson
Love that Shonne Green is there to push him to keep his head on straight. Couple new blockers and a true blocking tight end in Delanie Walker should do wonders for his numbers. The fastest player in the league could really turn some heads this year and I'm buying wherever I can.

Reggie Bush
This guys is going to catch 60-70 balls and is going to be Staffords' bail out whenever Calvin gets quadruple teamed which is going to happen a lot.

Ahmad Bradshaw
He can be had for really cheap right now and will most likely get signed somewhere. His foot is a concern but should be healed by September and some RB always goes down in the preseason.

Devil Doc
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: My buy low and sell high's

Postby Devil Doc » Fri May 31, 2013 3:51 am

Rodgers concussions scare you? The last time he had a concussion was in 2010. I couldn't find anything during his college years, but to say its a reason to sell at all kind of baffles me. Stafford and Jeffries for Rodgers...yes I'm a Packers fan, but in the dynasty leagues I'm in I only own him in 2, but if you sent me that offer I'd take it in a heart beat.

RG3's injuries should scare you more than Rodgers, this is the second time he's had to have knee surgery. I think he changes his game up a bit, and we see less running from him than last year. He has a very strong and accurate arm, he won't need to run to produce good numbers. Passing on him because you feel the need to "handcuff" him with Cousins to me is a bit extreme.

I can see McCoy as a sell high, not because Brown could steal carries from him, but because Chip Kelly's offense is going to take time to work, IF it ever does. Brown has more to work on than just his fumbling problems, and McCoy is still much more talented than Brown IMHO.

Morris and Ridley I agree with as well, but its hard not to see the numbers either put up last year. Not sure why Ridley isn't getting more credit, 1200 yds and 12 TDs is pretty good in a Patriots offense. Vereen from what I've read wil challenge him, but a majority of that come on passing situations.

RGKID144
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby RGKID144 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:59 am

Really love the majority of your sell high's with the exceptions of Mccoy and Rodgers. Rodgers has been the model of consistency. It's not time to sell on him yet lol. That's a train that can be boarded for quite some time still. And I am very high on Mccoy to bounce back, but thats me.

Im totally with you with Reggie and CJ for buy low, but the only probably is their value is not percieved low enough to buy low lol. Bush owners, at least in my league are very aware of the opportunity in front of him. And the CJ owner in my league is still hanging onto the CJ2k days, so really no chance to buy low.
Entering year ten of Dynasty 10 team 2QB/2RB/4WR/1TE/1FLEX(rb/wr/te).

QB: Bryce Young, Jared Goff, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Stetson Bennett.
WR: Garret Wilson, Devonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Odell Beckham, Treylon Burks, Zay Flowers, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown, Kenny Golladay.
RB: Bijan Robinson, Cam Akers, Antonio Gibson, Donta Foreman, Michael Carter, James Robinson, Dontrell Hilliard.
TE: Evan Engram, David Njoku, Trey McBride, Matt LaPorta Jelani Woods, Bob Tonyan.

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Fri May 31, 2013 5:33 am

Doesn't Locker have Hunter as a WR and not Hopkins?

Agree i would never sell Rodgers for that but would gladly buy him for that.

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Fri May 31, 2013 6:06 am

Sell HIgh

Aaron Rodgers - Ummmm, no.

Robert Griffin - Can't fault those that do, can't fault those that don't.

LeSean McCoy - I agree.

Arian Foster - If you can sell high, sure. I do not think he is a sell high because he has been devalued too much by anti-hype.

Marshawn Lynch - Agree, if you can. But with McCoy, Foster and Lynch you should have a suitable replacement in place to get 90% or more of the points.

Alfred Morris - Agree

Stevan Ridley

Demaryius Thomas - I may trade Thomas for Harvin, maybe not. Depends on the mood. I would not trade him for Cobb but I would trade Cobb all day for him.

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Fri May 31, 2013 6:27 am

Blount is a better goal line back? Do you watch football? The knock on Blount is that he isn't an effective goalie back for a guy that is huge. So much revisionist history on this forum.

Chris Thompson... Not impressed. The guy beat up a weak Wake forest team. Had 91 carries and 687 yards last year. Sorry if I'm not impressed. The guy's best year was 2010 when he had 133 carries and 846 yards. This is the guy who is going to unseat a proven RB who just had over 1600 yards? Shanny or no Shanny this guy doesn't have a chance.

hailskins
Rookie
Rookie

Postby hailskins » Fri May 31, 2013 6:46 am

Definitely disagree on Rodgers. No way I'd be selling him, especially for the trade you proposed.

Could understand RG3, but it's not like it would cost much to add Cousins.

Morris/Ridley - If these guys played for any other teams everyone would be all over them. I know both coaches love to switch out RBs, but after the year's both of them had, I think it would be hard for either coach to justify reducing their roles. Morris just ran for 1600yds in his rookie season. Can he do it again? I don't know, but even if he runs for 1300-1400, I'd glady take that. Plus another thing is that so many owners are discounting both of those guys that selling either of them will likely not get you much in return. Easier to just ride them out this year and see if they can repeat than to sell them and watch them duplicate last year.

I also think it would be tough to buy Bush low right now. I have him in 2 leagues and there is no way I'm giving him up right now. The potential is there for him to end up 70-80 catches plus whatever rushing yards he has. Not like Detroit has many better options at RB so he should see a ton of work both rushing and receiving.

Flschbrger
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Flschbrger » Fri May 31, 2013 6:51 am

Respect the amount of time and effort you put into these, but I disagree with prett much every single one of these

As far as Rodgers, the difference between Rodgers and Ryan isn't Michael Floyd. Not even close. He's the consensus #1, and I would still need a high end WR2/Low End 1 to even consider a deal like that

RGIII isn't just a mobile QB. His pocket prescene is severely under rated, and if he ever felt the need to stop running, he would be more than fine. He makes quick decision, and limits his turnovers. If anything, I'd buy low on him if someone decide to rid themselves of him.

Don't read into this stuff about Bryce Brown. He will never take McCoy's job. Period. If they decide to run a lot, or run 2 RB sets, then both can have value, sure. Don't underestimate how quick a coach will pull a RB who puts the ball on the ground. It can't happen. No matter good they are.
10 team, 2 qb, 4WR, 2 RB, FLEX, .5 ppr, 5 pt passing td, 6 pts rush/rec tds (5 qb roster max)

QB - Russell Wilson, David Carr Josh Rosen
WR - Brandin Cooks, Tyreek Hill, Amari Cooper, Tyler Lockett, Marvin Jones, Calvin Ridley, Marquez Valdes-Scantling Robby Anderson, Josh Reynolds, Jamison Crowder, Mecole Hardman, Deon Cain
RB - David Johnson, James Conner, Duke Johnson, Wayne Gallman, Nyheim Hines, Bryce Love, Justice Hill, Ryquell Armstead,
TE - Gerald Everett
FLEX - Chris Carson

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Fri May 31, 2013 7:01 am

Flschbrger wrote:Don't read into this stuff about Bryce Brown. He will never take McCoy's job. Period. If they decide to run a lot, or run 2 RB sets, then both can have value, sure. Don't underestimate how quick a coach will pull a RB who puts the ball on the ground. It can't happen. No matter good they are.
I agree that Brown will not take McCoys job, but I have concerns about that concussion that McCoy had. I understand that others may not think it is a problem at all, and I can respect that, but I have some concerns.

Flschbrger
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Flschbrger » Fri May 31, 2013 7:03 am

It's something to monitor sure. I wouldn't decrease his value because of it necessarily.
10 team, 2 qb, 4WR, 2 RB, FLEX, .5 ppr, 5 pt passing td, 6 pts rush/rec tds (5 qb roster max)

QB - Russell Wilson, David Carr Josh Rosen
WR - Brandin Cooks, Tyreek Hill, Amari Cooper, Tyler Lockett, Marvin Jones, Calvin Ridley, Marquez Valdes-Scantling Robby Anderson, Josh Reynolds, Jamison Crowder, Mecole Hardman, Deon Cain
RB - David Johnson, James Conner, Duke Johnson, Wayne Gallman, Nyheim Hines, Bryce Love, Justice Hill, Ryquell Armstead,
TE - Gerald Everett
FLEX - Chris Carson

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 am

hailskins wrote:Definitely disagree on Rodgers. No way I'd be selling him, especially for the trade you proposed.

Could understand RG3, but it's not like it would cost much to add Cousins.

Morris/Ridley - If these guys played for any other teams everyone would be all over them. I know both coaches love to switch out RBs, but after the year's both of them had, I think it would be hard for either coach to justify reducing their roles. Morris just ran for 1600yds in his rookie season. Can he do it again? I don't know, but even if he runs for 1300-1400, I'd glady take that. Plus another thing is that so many owners are discounting both of those guys that selling either of them will likely not get you much in return. Easier to just ride them out this year and see if they can repeat than to sell them and watch them duplicate last year.

I also think it would be tough to buy Bush low right now. I have him in 2 leagues and there is no way I'm giving him up right now. The potential is there for him to end up 70-80 catches plus whatever rushing yards he has. Not like Detroit has many better options at RB so he should see a ton of work both rushing and receiving.
Well said on the Morris/Ridley point.

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 am

I disagree on almost every one of your sell highs. Why does Rodger's 1 concussion like 2 years ago bother you? Why does holding onto a backup in a deep league bother you? Is your knock on McCoy and Lynch, 2 of the best backs in the league, really a talented backup? Same with Foster... he's a look to sell in the next year or two kind of guy, but Tate is not the right reason to sell him. Michael was drafted purely as BPA which the seahawks FO believes in. Morris/Ridley showed they are very capable backs who can perform as top RB's. If you think Ridley's startup ADP is high, he's actually going in the 2nd round in redrafts. I think he's got competition from Vereen for touches (but not the overall job, he actually won that from Vereen so quit the Vereen is better bs, that was settled long ago) but that doesn't make him a sell.
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds