James Robinson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: James Robinson

Postby MFundercover » Sun May 16, 2021 11:02 pm

Hindsight is 20/20. Etienne could have been picked early by another team. Toney could have fallen and been the pick at 25. Jacksonville could have played it smart and drafted an edge. The sellers look smart now, but nobody knew what was going to happen pre draft. Robinson going for mid/late 1s pre draft would have fetched double that in season.

MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Postby MyTeam » Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 am

MFundercover wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:58 pm
The Godwin Complex wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:26 pm What you just stated is why I don’t like trading players for picks until AFTER the NFL draft. Their value becomes much more clear by then.
I don't think it's so black and white. Ideally yes, you would wait until after the draft, but you risk the price going up, or a stubborn owner falling in love and flat out not trading him. If Jrob would have avoided any RB of significance in the draft, he would have been valued as a top 12 RB for 2021 by many at the least. His pre draft value was a potential buy low opportunity because of the risk involved. Take the risk out, and the price goes up..by how much varies owner to owner. But I know there are a lot of leagues that over value RBs, mine included. Somebody would have held on to him for nothing less than a huge pay out. I just don't think his pre draft value would have been the same post draft, or especially in season when he would have been touching the ball 18 times a game.

It's a gamble. Playing it safe is usually the way to go in fantasy, but sometimes the gambles are the best moves you make. I didn't think the Jags would be stupid enough to blow a first round pick on a RB when they could have had a 1st round edge, so I gambled, and lost. I would take the loss and grab a future 2nd at this point. At least this draft is shallow for positional players. Not sure anyone taken after the pick I gave up for Jrob is in any better a position than he is at this point.

Hope you're right though. There is still a path for him to be relevant, it's just a very tight window at this point.
100% agree. You assume the risk before the draft and it is the cheapest you can land someone. Once people saw Etienne being mocked to Washington Gibson's value took a huge hit just before the draft. I saw a ton of trades being made as if Etienne was already on Washington. Those people who traded for Gibson now look like geniuses.
Team 1: 12 team, PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex

Mahomes, Lawrence
Najee, Swift, Javonte, Jamaal W, Murray
DK, DJM, Juju, Jameson, Gallup, Van
Pitts, Friermuth
1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.10, 2 firsts next year

Team 2: 12 Team, SF TEP (1.5 PPR)
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 SF

Mahomes, Burrow, Cousins, Rudolph
CEH, Swift, Gibson, Jacobs, Mattison, Scott, McFarland
DK, AJB, Ridley, McLaurin, Kupp, Landry, Mims, Hamler, Miller, Johnson, Robinson
Andrews, H. Henry, Sternberger, Alie-Cox, Herndon

Same as Team 2
Watson, Burrow, Lance, Z. Wilson
Pollard, Mattison
Chase, D. Smith, Boyd, Hardman, E. Moore, Cephus, A. Rodgers, Harry, Boykin, A. Tate, Miller
Hockenson, Thomas, Albert O, Njoku
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
TLaw, Burrow, Watson, Darnold
CEH, Gus, Cohen
Juju, Chark, Shenault, Boyd, Landry, Renfrow, Robinson,
Engram, Kmet, Firkser, Schultz, Arnold, Herndon
5 additional firsts

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon May 17, 2021 8:11 am

Bot101 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:46 pm Sometimes I feel bad for some of you Jrob owners (I was once one). And then I remember last season when some very respectable people were saying to "cash out", I followed that advice. I made an offer of Sutton + for Arob who I thought was on a rebuilding team. He countered with my Jrob + Shenault for Arob. I accepted. Well a week or 2 later I was ravaged by injuries and covid issues at RB. I offered a freaking 1st rnd pick for Jrob just to plug the gaping hole at RB and was rejected and no counter.

Fast forward 1 month-ish before the NFL draft the Jrob manager puts him on the block. I offer 2x early-mid projected 2022 2nds in a 10 man league and was rejected with no counter. Im baffled at this point and just declare things over. Well, I feel so unbelievably satisfied that the Jrob manager in my home league got punched right in the mouth. Stop overvaluing these low draft capital players. The NFL (wrongly) views these guys as worthless.

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for is to die
in your sleep

- Kenny Rogers
I hear what you are saying, but I think this is really short-term thinking. This is based on your expectations, but things don't always play out that way. I think JRob may have a lot more value than people think. If all we had to go by was draft capital then I would agree that JRob looks like a fade, but we also have Urban Meyer's comments saying he wanted to draft Toney there, then saying that ETN would be used as a hybrid, and most recently stating that ENT would get all his reps in minicamp at WR. These are not the words and the actions of a coach who drafted a RB to replace the RB on the roster. I get it, you don't hand jobs to rookies, but I think if he was trying to create competition and motivate ETN he would be saying things like, 'We're going to have a competition for the lead back," or "Jrob is currently the lead back," etc. Saying ETN will get all his reps at WR speak volumes IMO.

Basically, I think you take your first round pick and train him in a new position out of the gate to confuse the fantasy dynasty community. I think you do it because you plan to use him that way.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am

Just got rejected on offering a 2022 2nd rounder for Robinson.

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am Just got rejected on offering a 2022 2nd rounder for Robinson.
I'd reject as well.
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon May 17, 2021 9:35 am

My take is ETN’s value is actually going to increase. The fantasy community just hates change.

We see on the defense side of the ball the rise of the near position less player. Safeties playing as slot corner & LB’s while DE’s playing LB and tackles

On Offense we just saw a TE get drafted who would also be the top WR drafted by many.

It should not be a surprise to see ETN lime up outside or in the slot. We have been seeing it for years.

I am sure ETN would love to get reclassified prior to year 4 to a WR.

He is going be used all over the field and those smart enough to not put him in a box should be really happy.

Think Gibson, Kamara, CMC and CEH to name a few that line up on positions other than RB. We are also seeing WR’s line up in the backfield; you know who they are if you’re paying attention.

The difference is alignment, some backs motion into the slot, others start there.

I recommend buying this versatile player.

Robinson owners simply need to understand 3 down traditional RB’s are becoming the dinosaurs of the NFL so set expectations accordingly.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Mon May 17, 2021 10:50 am

Agree that getting reps at WR is at worst, non-news. At best it’s what Ice describes there. I’ve already got lowball offers comin in, but honestly I see this as a plus if anything. Forget what his strengths/weaknesses are, all this signals to me is Meyer plans on Etienne seeing snaps.

What I’m struggling with right this second is whether I should be inquiring about JRob. Either way there I’m deep enough at RB so maybe less critical.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon May 17, 2021 10:57 am

Ice wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:35 am Robinson owners simply need to understand 3 down traditional RB’s are becoming the dinosaurs of the NFL so set expectations accordingly.
I thought the bulk of your response was very good, but this struck me as odd. Legitimate 3 down RBs are extremely valuable IMO. There just aren’t as many because being a 3 down RB in today’s NFL requires a broader skill set than it used to so a lot of coaches elect to use committees instead as a virtual substitute. Maybe I’m misreading your thoughts.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon May 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Offered same deal to the whole league:

'22 2nd & 3rd (1QB FFPC)

Four rejected before one accepted

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 pm

If I'm Etienne I'm ecstatic right now at the prospect of playing mostly WR and being used like Percy Harvin. Far less wear and tear on the body and if he can get reclassified he will earn far more money over the course of his career, so he is motivated to do all he can to be more WR than RB. Here we go again. This is where I'm at, in a 12 team PPR league, sell Robinson for mid-first or better, buy high second or less, hold for less than a mid-first.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon May 17, 2021 1:48 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 pm If I'm Etienne I'm ecstatic right now at the prospect of playing mostly WR and being used like Percy Harvin. Far less wear and tear on the body and if he can get reclassified he will earn far more money over the course of his career, so he is motivated to do all he can to be more WR than RB. Here we go again. This is where I'm at, in a 12 team PPR league, sell Robinson for mid-first or better, buy high second or less, hold for less than a mid-first.
Sheesh.

You James Robinson owners are deluding yourself if you think he's worth anywhere close to that much.

He was as volume play in 2020. Even if (and it's a BIG if) he is the lead back in this offence he's going to being sharing work with ETN.

If he's (far more likely) either in an RBBC or ETN is the lead back+ he's basically Alexander Mattison.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm

Lol Jrob wasn't fetching a mid first before they drafted ETN

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon May 17, 2021 2:38 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm Lol Jrob wasn't fetching a mid first before they drafted ETN
I know right? He surely didn't gain value after Jax added a massively superior talent in the 1st round.

Before the draft I saw him go for a late 1st in two separate leagues. Those were the best two trades I've personally seen for him ever. He was never a mid 1st, and still isn't.

He's a good hold, I'll give you that. ETN could easily get injured or ultimately bust (even then he's going to cut JR workload for years) leading to another high volume year. I don't value mid to late 2nds very highly, so at that price it wouldn't make sense for me to sell.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm

thebeast wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:23 pm If I'm Etienne I'm ecstatic right now at the prospect of playing mostly WR and being used like Percy Harvin. Far less wear and tear on the body and if he can get reclassified he will earn far more money over the course of his career, so he is motivated to do all he can to be more WR than RB. Here we go again. This is where I'm at, in a 12 team PPR league, sell Robinson for mid-first or better, buy high second or less, hold for less than a mid-first.
Come on man. Etienne is not going to be mostly a WR. He's a RB, who gradually improved as a receiver during his college career. This is an obvious attempt to pump his value for a sell in a league.

Robinson is not worth anything close to a mid first in any format right now. I can't think of a reason why someone would pay that for an RB whose team just spent a 1st on a more talented back.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon May 17, 2021 5:25 pm

CGW wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:38 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm Lol Jrob wasn't fetching a mid first before they drafted ETN
I know right? He surely didn't gain value after Jax added a massively superior talent in the 1st round.

Before the draft I saw him go for a late 1st in two separate leagues. Those were the best two trades I've personally seen for him ever. He was never a mid 1st, and still isn't.

He's a good hold, I'll give you that. ETN could easily get injured or ultimately bust (even then he's going to cut JR workload for years) leading to another high volume year. I don't value mid to late 2nds very highly, so at that price it wouldn't make sense for me to sell.
In an RB heavy league, I sold him for a bucket of picks featuring a 2022 1st. In the offseason, people were down on him repeating and, in my WR heavy leagues, weren't buying for a 2nd+ before Etienne, nevermind after. I'm holding but haven't been able to buy.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def