Commish refusing lock out. Update NEW commish

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
saw061600
Legend
Legend

Commish refusing lock out. Update NEW commish

Postby saw061600 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:21 pm

Update: After several emails to MFL, with detailed records and happenings of all that was taking place, I was able to assume commish role to keep the league going. All but 2 owners, the old commish and a friend, are here and 2 new owners already found. I don't plan to be commish long, just the guy that started the ticket and conversations to make the change happen.

Well, here we go again. Another commish who thinks he should be able to do whatever the hell he wants.

Owner: can you please turn this on. thanks (3rd request) This is referencing the commish lock out which is currently off

Commish- no, I prefer to retain that ability as commissioner. thanks

- I’m not trying to be an bleep, but why? The commissioner should not have the unfair advantage of being able to see pending owner initiated transactions, especially in a league with blind bid waiver periods. I was in a league that folded mid-season over this two seasons ago, probably why this being enabled bothers me, hell I'm sure if we ran a poll most if not all of the other owners would agree. The commissioner was accused looking at claims and sniping players, owners left and the league died. With that ability disabled it can never come into question. I am simply trying to avoid that from happening here. If you can sell me on a good reason why you should have this advantage, I'm willing to listen.

Commish- I won't be relinquishing abilities as commish as I did not agree to do so when I became commissioner of the league. Nor will I be stepping down as commissioner. This is regardless of
any league polling or rabble rousing and such. I'm playing to have fun and to learn things as first year commissioner and highly doubt that I'll be winning money from my participation in the league. Feel free to do what you like but certainly let me know if there's an issue with my team transactions. I won't be responding to any further inquiries about commissioner lock-out. Thanks.

bleep this guy, I'm about to lose my bleep.

EDIT: Adding league link, just because it offers more context and maybe it will help other current and future commissioners to avoid similar mistakes. A "cautionary tale" of sorts. https://www67.myfantasyleague.com/2020/home/56579#0
Last edited by saw061600 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Commish refusing lock out

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:26 pm

You're right - F that guy.

He can turn off the commish God mode, then turn it on if he needs to fix something. No reason to leave it on all the time.

Now, when it is on, it doesn't necessarily mean he is looking at everything. You have to deliberately look to see things no one else can. But it's just an act of good faith to have that turned off, and times ten if there's been any issue before.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:30 pm

Sounds like a douchebag to me.

But seriously, why would MFL have a setting where a commish can see the blind bids of other teams?!?!?! I get that a commish might need to go in and alter a starting lineup or something but it's silly for MFL's platform to allow them to see bids & trade offers.

They should at least separate those settings.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Put the league onto this thread. There is NO reason a commish should be allowed to have that status. When you do need to use it the odd time, you turn it on, tell the league why you are doing it, and then turn it back off. He's clearly not fit to commish. You really need to inform your league what it entails, and why he doesn't need it on, and why he shouldn't. He has no excuse. If he's truly willing to listen, and learn, turn him to this thread where experienced commishes and players reside. He's out of line. Request a refund and leave if he won't, and bring as many as you can with you. His idea of ruling with an iron fist and as a dictator doesn't sound like "fun" for everybody else.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:35 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm Request a refund. Put the league onto this thread. There is NO reason a commish should be allowed to have that status. When you do need to use it the odd time, you turn it on, tell the league why you are doing it, and then turn it back off. He's clearly not fit to commish. You really need to inform your league what it entails, and why he doesn't need it on, and why he shouldn't. He has no excuse.
I already put the link on the original message (which I did not start but fully support).

Commissioners are there to manage the league, the league is owned by all the owners.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:36 pm

saw061600 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:35 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm Request a refund. Put the league onto this thread. There is NO reason a commish should be allowed to have that status. When you do need to use it the odd time, you turn it on, tell the league why you are doing it, and then turn it back off. He's clearly not fit to commish. You really need to inform your league what it entails, and why he doesn't need it on, and why he shouldn't. He has no excuse.
I already put the link on the original message (which I did not start but fully support).

Commissioners are there to manage the league, the league is owned by all the owners.
Just added to my post. That's it. He's trying to run the league as a dictator. That's not fun for anybody, nor is it right. No league should be running with that lock out status as it is. he can retain the ability to commish, by changing the setting, it can be switched, but owners can track when it is turned off and for why. The only reason to have it set the way it is, is for nefarious purposes, really. He's not giving up anything by making the requested change, other than an unfair advantage.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Another vote. As a Commish in multiple leagues, access is always off. I turn it on when needed and then turn it off again. In fact, MFL sends an email to the league any time the status is changed, so everyone can see that it's for one, two, five minutes and then off.

So, yes, it should be a non-negotiable that Commish access is off.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:22 pm

There is no reason for a Commissioner to openly oppose to having this turned on (restricting their ability to see other owner transactions). I’m in a league where it is on, and I trust the Commish to only use it when applicable and have had no issues for a few years with it on, but to adamantly oppose doing so doesn’t make any sense (that Commish turned it on when asked, but has had to turn it off to complete Taxi Poaches from inactive owners), Even if nothing is being abused, it leaves an extremely bad taste in participants mouths. Not a good Commish move. I’d be skeptical.

The league I Commish, it is 100% on to avoid any potential concerns from even arising.

hoos89
Legend
Legend

Postby hoos89 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Yeah I leave it on unless I need to fix something for someone, and then I make a post saying why I turned it off. I wouldn't trust a commish who was adamantly opposed to turning it off. You don't need it 99% of the time.
Team 1: 2012-2016
2013 Champion, 2012 Runner-Up

Team 2: 12 Team PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 R/W/T, 23 man rosters, est. 2016
2021 Champion, 2020 Runner-up
Tua, Purdy Geno, Carr
JT, Ekeler, Mostert, Javonte, Chuba, D. Harris, M. Carter, J. Hill, Spiller
Chase, AJB, Amon-Ra, Aiyuk, Olave, DJM, Dell
Andrews, McBride, Engram
IR(3): Chubb, M. Williams, Rodgers
Taxi(4): J. Palmer, Tolbert, T. Palmer
2024 Picks: 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 Team PPR, 6 pt Pass TD - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 3 R/W/T, 28 man rosters, est. 2019
2021 Champion, 2022 Runner-up
Jackson, Love, Tannehill, Z. Wilson
Barkley, Mixon, Mostert, J. Wilson, CEH, Gaskin, J. Hill
J. Jefferson, Diggs, Waddle, Evans, Metcalf, Sutton, R. Moore, Slayton, Berrios, Carter, Dortch, Powell, Raymond
Kelce, Dissly, Hooper
2024 Picks: 1

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:56 pm

saw061600 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:21 pm

If you can sell me on a good reason why you should have this advantage, I'm willing to listen.

Commish- I won't be relinquishing abilities as commish as I did not agree to do so when I became commissioner of the league. Nor will I be stepping down as commissioner. This is regardless of any league polling or rabble rousing and such. I'm playing to have fun and to learn things as first year commissioner I won't be responding to any further inquiries about commissioner lock-out. Thanks.

So, he doesn't give a good reason, first off. Secondly, he claims to want to learn, ever though the owner has informed him of why the setting should be changed. On top of wanting to learn, he wants to have fun, even if that "fun", means the entire league wants it changed, and the start a bunch of "rabble rousing and such". He then completely shuts down any suggestion of further conversation on the topic, despite mentioning previously, that he "wants to learn".

This guy is making no sense, and is clearly unfit to commish a league, especially considering he just started doing it. His first call to action is to impose absolute power instead of gaining understanding and experience from owners who can help him. Despite his claims of wanting to learn, he is showing the complete opposite, he is showing both ignorance and arrogance to an unhealthy degree for the future of your league.

The idea that he didn't agree to do so, as he claims when he took over is a ridiculously weak argument for not changing that setting. Do the bylaws mention anything about rule change votes, or do they give the commish absolute control?

usps33
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby usps33 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:05 pm

hoos89 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:44 pm Yeah I leave it on unless I need to fix something for someone, and then I make a post saying why I turned it off. I wouldn't trust a commish who was adamantly opposed to turning it off. You don't need it 99% of the time.
You are absolutely speaking the truth, no way I would play under in a league where this isn’t the way it’s done. Can’t believe how his league commissioner is insisting on having access to these abilities 100% of the time. Last year, I think our commish had to access his full abilities only twice. He sent all owners an email why he needed access each time.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:07 pm

usps33 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:05 pm
hoos89 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:44 pm Yeah I leave it on unless I need to fix something for someone, and then I make a post saying why I turned it off. I wouldn't trust a commish who was adamantly opposed to turning it off. You don't need it 99% of the time.
You are absolutely speaking the truth, no way I would play under in a league where this isn’t the way it’s done. Can’t believe how his league commissioner is insisting on having access to these abilities 100% of the time. Last year, I think our commish had to access his full abilities only twice. He sent all owners an email why he needed access each time.
Which is the way it should be done.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:14 pm

Yeah, I complained (to both MFL and my commish) about this MFL god mode *default setting* (what??) years ago.

It's ridiculous that it's a defaut because it obviously gives the commissioner an unfair advantage being able to get "previews" of all kinds of pending owner transactions. And last I remember, it basically broadcasts pending transactions front and center on the commish view, so they make it pretty hard to just ignore in good faith.

So first, I blame the MFL default settings (and I don't think they ever bothered changing them, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

And second, even after bringing it up to the comissioner like you did and like I did, they might not bother changing it. One understandable (but still unfair, just the way it is) reason is needing extra controls to process trades with commish approval (if you have that in your league, like we do, though I'm campaigned to get rid of it), or extra taxi squad rights needed during rookie drafts to manage some of the weirder taxi squad demotions/promotions in case you can't draft players directly to taxi (which we can't, and I believe that's another MFL functionality problem).

So yeah, it's first a MFL functionality issue on at least one or two levels. And because of that, it might make turning it off cause the commish a different set of problems. And that obviously sucks for the commish, because it too often sucks to be one unless you're an extremely transaparent, organized and communicative commish.

So basically, everyone loses until MFL improves their functionality. I don't know all the best ways to fix it - temporary access, maybe? At the very least, the default being "god mode" is a terrible default setting. MFL does a lot right, but man, this a major miss from a commish management and conflict of interest/competitive advantage standpoint.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Let’s not turn this as an MFL issue. This is a rouge commissioner issue. Most leagues do not have this issue and it is an easily updated setting.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Personally this is a CC charge back and walk away issue to me. I wouldn't even talk about it outside emailing the owners as a whole "I am out and here is why". I got way better ways to spend my day.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu