Jacksonville backfield, who is the guy?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Re: Jacksonville backfield, who is the guy?

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:40 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:23 am
The Godwin Complex wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:17 am

If you are guided by statistics (that are always changing) instead of your intuition and your ability to critically assess specific situations, then you are out of touch with the reality of a given moment. Of course there is a statistical backdrop. But that’s not what drives my decisions. What drives my decisions is being able to rely on what I know....and I know nothing about that pick until draft day. I know I can use James Robinson to better my team RIGHT NOW. Not improve my assets, better my team. If you are always using resources to build for the future you aren’t concentrating as much on catching the waves that are right in front of you.
Yeah, but you could probably use a 2nd to improve your team right now via trade.
I don’t want a probably, I want a definitely. Otherwise, I’d prefer to hold Robinson. How we take our shots are different - when I take my shots I don’t settle for chances, even though the chance might be more profitable than nothing. Like I said before...if it was Tevin Coleman or Tahrik Cohen and a 2nd for Robinson... sure! If I could swing the 2nd by itself for Mack I’d be dancing :dance:. But I’m not cutting a deal involving unknowns unless I’m sure I’m going to gain in some way, in the event that all of us are wrong :bigsmile:

Because that would SUCK to put your eggs in one basket because the stats say so and then eat dirt. I’m not doing it.
If this is your thought process I don't think we'll ever understand or agree with each other. But it has been fun debating.

And I'm having to start James Robinson so we will both be rooting for him this week. Maybe he will be the 20-1 lotto ticket. But as Billy Bob says in Bad Santa, "Hope in one hand and $h!t in the other and see which one fills up first."
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:28 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:05 am

Yeah, but you could probably use a 2nd to improve your team right now via trade.
I don’t want a probably, I want a definitely. Otherwise, I’d prefer to hold Robinson. How we take our shots are different - when I take my shots I don’t settle for chances, even though the chance might be more profitable than nothing. Like I said before...if it was Tevin Coleman or Tahrik Cohen and a 2nd for Robinson... sure! If I could swing the 2nd by itself for Mack I’d be dancing :dance:. But I’m not cutting a deal involving unknowns unless I’m sure I’m going to gain in some way, in the event that all of us are wrong :bigsmile:

Because that would SUCK to put your eggs in one basket because the stats say so and then eat dirt. I’m not doing it.
If this is your thought process I don't think we'll ever understand or agree with each other. But it has been fun debating.

And I'm having to start James Robinson so we will both be rooting for him this week. Maybe he will be the 20-1 lotto ticket. But as Billy Bob says in Bad Santa, "Hope in one hand and $h!t in the other and see which one fills up first."
If we both played the same way, trading or discussing wouldn’t be as fun! I will admit I am a more boom or bust personality when it comes to FF. But that’s why I place a lot of emphasis on carefully leveraging and researching cheap investments and not shiny draft capital. Draft capital will have you believe your crap is worth more than it really is. I’m not about that life. I’ll trade away everything shiny for the crap that is real.
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:32 am

Funny that both Tyreek and Guice just came up. Tyreek is a guy I scooped up for free off the wire early in his rookie season. I held him through that season and his second, when he broke out for WR1 production. I sold him in the spring of 2018 for the 2018 1.02 and a 2019 1st. Figured that, along with the year and a half of production I’d already banked, was a pretty great return for a guy I paid nothing for. Of course I used the 1.02 on Guice. Can’t remember what I traded the other 1st for, but it turned out to be the 1.11 after the guy I traded Tyreek to made the title game. I’m not sure what the moral of the story is, other than there really are no hard-and-fast “right” answers here. Haha.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:38 am

M-Dub wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:32 am Funny that both Tyreek and Guice just came up. Tyreek is a guy I scooped up for free off the wire early in his rookie season. I held him through that season and his second, when he broke out for WR1 production. I sold him in the spring of 2018 for the 2018 1.02 and a 2019 1st. Figured that, along with the year and a half of production I’d already banked, was a pretty great return for a guy I paid nothing for. Of course I used the 1.02 on Guice. Can’t remember what I traded the other 1st for, but it turned out to be the 1.11 after the guy I traded Tyreek to made the title game. I’m not sure what the moral of the story is, other than there really are no hard-and-fast “right” answers here. Haha.
These negative stories influence much more than the positive though. We generally need 2-3 good things to happen to us for every bad. So you draft Guice this time. That really sticks with you. Next time you draft Mike Evans and you are like, well, yeah, obv he should be good. Then you draft Josh Jacobs and you are thinking, of course that's fair, I drafted him in the top of the 1st. It might even take another 1st that pans out before you feel like justice has been had over the Tyreek disaster. But that's just the emotional feelings. In reality you are starting 2-3 studs each worth 2-3 1sts. Winning trades and draft picks 55-60% of the time doesn't feel like winning. But that doesn't mean you aren't winning.

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am

M-Dub wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:32 am Funny that both Tyreek and Guice just came up. Tyreek is a guy I scooped up for free off the wire early in his rookie season. I held him through that season and his second, when he broke out for WR1 production. I sold him in the spring of 2018 for the 2018 1.02 and a 2019 1st. Figured that, along with the year and a half of production I’d already banked, was a pretty great return for a guy I paid nothing for. Of course I used the 1.02 on Guice. Can’t remember what I traded the other 1st for, but it turned out to be the 1.11 after the guy I traded Tyreek to made the title game. I’m not sure what the moral of the story is, other than there really are no hard-and-fast “right” answers here. Haha.
Did you read my Marshawn Lynch story? I traded him for a 2nd rounder (maybe 2) the year that he got traded to Seattle.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Never again.
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:40 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:17 am

If you are guided by statistics (that are always changing) instead of your intuition and your ability to critically assess specific situations, then you are out of touch with the reality of a given moment. Of course there is a statistical backdrop. But that’s not what drives my decisions. What drives my decisions is being able to rely on what I know....and I know nothing about that pick until draft day. I know I can use James Robinson to better my team RIGHT NOW. Not improve my assets, better my team. If you are always using resources to build for the future you aren’t concentrating as much on catching the waves that are right in front of you.

To me this sounds like saying, "I am not putting my money in an IRA/401k because if the market goes down, that's gonna suck. I'd have been better off just holding it."

Yep, might go down this year. Might be down for awhile, but so far, it's always been a win eventually.

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:42 am

The Godwin Complex wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am
Did you read my Marshawn Lynch story? I traded him for a 2nd rounder (maybe 2) the year that he got traded to Seattle.

Never again.

This is the emotional pain that can easily influence your decisions in a negative manner if you don't realize it.

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:44 am

But I'll freely admit it's just fantasy football and unless you are playing for huge stakes, it's kind of fun to throw stats/math/odds and what not to the wind and do whatever feels good and right. I don't think it's a winning strategy but it's a fun release from having to make the disciplined decisions in real life.

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:49 am

SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:42 am
The Godwin Complex wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:39 am

Never again.

This is the emotional pain that can easily influence your decisions in a negative manner if you don't realize it.

That’s the thing about perspective. I see the need for you to sell a boom or bust candidate as an emotional pain to avoid loss. Everything each of us is debating is a way for us to rationalize how to avoid loss. :lol:
SteveMaddensShoes wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:40 am , it's always been a win eventually.
This is fantasy football though...not retirement. There is something to placing emphasis on the future. However, I roll all of that consideration into my current players - not picks. I don’t keep old players on my team unless they are for bye weeks or depth. My thought will always be (in dynasty) that more of your nest eggs should be in the basket of right now. I’ve never drafted or put together a team that I had to rebuild completely. I do it step by step, piece by piece. You can kind of even see it in the way my roster in my signature is constructed.

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
ROSTER STARTERS

BENCH:

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:47 pm

I picked up Robinson in FA for 1.00 of my FAAB before the news broke he was going to be the starter. You can put me in the camp of holding him to see what he is and what he might do for my team this year. My team is a contending team which for me is neither here nor there for the conversation because even in a rebuild I'm holding. I would sell for an obvious overpay but it would have to be player for player trade or player and pick trade with a clear advantage to my side so it won't happen. I like trading for FAAB dollars more than picks by the way. I can get multiple shots at players with FAAB then one pick traded to me. I'll listen to offers but you would have to really convince me to sell. I figure I got him for free and I'm okay with him falling on his face and not getting anything for him for the chance he hits.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:29 pm

I just dropped Sammy Watkins to pick up Robinson off the wire... for free. Probably wouldn't have played Watkins much with Adams, OBJ, Tyreek, and Ridley as starters. Sammy's sure to go off tomorrow now!

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 pm

I appreciate the discussion about general football strategy of what to do with free agent adds- the chance UDFAs maintain production based on history, the sell point in dynasty trade. However, it seems like it's all been hypothetical, without any real scouting of James Robinson as a football player.

For the reason, I appreciate thebeast's post about Robinson's prospects.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 pm I appreciate the discussion about general football strategy of what to do with free agent adds- the chance UDFAs maintain production based on history, the sell point in dynasty trade. However, it seems like it's all been hypothetical, without any real scouting of James Robinson as a football player.

For the reason, I appreciate thebeast's post about Robinson's prospects.
All the NFL teams scouted him and didn't draft him through 7 rounds. I don't understand. "Real scouting" was done there. What we do isn't real scouting, in comparison to that, nor is when someone writes an article projecting a guy from round 3-7 or UDFA. I really don't understand what you mean. It's not like people haven't looked into the guy at all, when making the comments about selling him for a 2nd, etc. The Jags dumped Fournette late, and lost a RB to COVID. Theoretically, he beat out Ozigbo, and that's it. RB depth charts are sketchy, on top of that. We don't know how the touches will fall. McKissic is the RB1 on Washington, Dobbins the RB4 on Baltimore. It's really not guaranteed Robinson gets a heavy workload at all. I mean, the thread is about who is "the guy" in the Jags backfield, and I'd argue nobody is really. It's going to be a full blown RBBC, in my opinion.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:17 pm

thebeast wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am I don't view him as the average UDFA. For me he is closer to the group who has a shot to beat the typical UDFA odds. This was the deepest draft in terms of skill players in recent memory and I think he would have likely been a mid-round pick in last years draft. I'm excited to see what he can do, and if he busts he busts and losing whatever value he may currently have isn't going to hurt my team, but if he beats the odds and turns into CJ Anderson then he's going to really help my team. We will see, but to just spit back and forth the odds and relative values to a 2nd is just pointless. Everyone should approach the situation however they think makes sense. I have won plenty of dynasty championships holding these lottery players and many have busted, but all those shares of Tyreek I had sure cover a lot of losses.
I'm with you. He was my favorite UDFA stash by far after the draft, but I also expected him to go in the mid rounds of the draft. That offense won't do him any favors, but I'd be holding wherever I have him. Not like the market lucrative right now anyway, might as well hope the Jags give him another shot after the first two weeks. They get some cushy defenses after Indy and Tennessee.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:24 am

A couple of thoughts here. Firstly, the coaches have confirmed that he is the starter, that they expect to give him the first carry of the game and that they are excited about him. Secondly, I am not sure from where we get the idea that the Jags are going to be awful offensively. Defensively they look set to stink- which is bad news for a FF RB who doesn't catch the ball, or who is replaced by Thompson, but not a real concern if he is able to pick up some passing game work. But I think they might be sneaky good, or at least sneaky average on O. Things change fast in the NFL and the preconception that they are bad seems to be based on the perception that they are tanking, rather than on a look at their offensive personnel or likely scheme.
As someone who picked up a lot of shares in Robinson, my perception of the sell or not dilemma is that I do want to sell- because the league brutally mistreats even UDFAs who excel. See Lindsay. P- but I don't want to sell now in case he does look like a legit starter for a team that might be better than assumed. Somehow this discussion went from sell for a 3- which was interesting- to sell for a 2 which seems unlikely. Realistically, no-one's giving me a 2 for him right now, so I'd rather risk losing the 3 in hopes that he plays well.
A bunch of teams are about to flip mindsets from value to points in the next few weeks. Some are going to look at line-ups that they expected to have RB depth, but discover that injuries have weakened them. Colts, Titans is a hard way to start, but Dolphins Bengals in weeks 3 and 4 could be a nice showcase for him.
In short, I don't think this is really about if you sell your UDFA - though I remain a Lindsay buyer to be fair - but when you sell him. Right now most people think he is starting because Fournette's an bleep, Armstead got covid and they don't want to name Thompson their starter but plan to pepper him with targets. Some people like Ozigbo. Some like Ogunbowale. IF Robinson really is their guy for this year and is their clear number one, his value will be far higher than it is right now. I think you're gambling a little to potentially win a lot...