Best Backups to Own

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Best Backups to Own

Postby McCafsteez » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:58 pm

With roster sizes differing league to league, I wanted to take a look at some of the best backups to own. These types of players may be league winners if they play in place of the starter ahead of them. A few guys I would like to start this thread off with are:

Robert Griffin III (QB-BAL)
Lamar Jackson is absolutely one of the best dynasty assets to own (especially in a SF league), but with his style of game play, it seems he is at a very high risk of sustaining an injury. I truly hope the Ravens encourage more passing options this year to prevent strain on Lamar getting absolutely drilled by LBs.

Jake Fromm (QB-BUF)
Same deal as Robert Griffin III. If Josh Allen goes down, Jake Fromm will most likely see some great playing time.

Marlon Mack (RB-IND)
There is no doubt that Marlon Mack is a capable running back. He can and will get the job done if he is given the work. Obviously Jonathon Taylor will most likely be a stud, but if he goes down, Mack as a shot to be his regular RB1-2 self. He might even be more valuable next season if and when he leaves the Colts.

Deejay Dallas (RB-SEA) & Anthony McFarland (RB-PIT)
Now I would considering packaging both of these guys here. Both lower end rookie running backs who would have a HUGE opportunity to step up if Chris Carson or James Conner go down. Let's be honest...both Carson and Conner will get injured this upcoming season. Reports say Deejay Dallas is looking good while their have been a lack of reports about McFarland. We will see what happens...

Bisi Johnson (WR-MIN)
This guy is actually one of my picks to click this year. Right now reports say Justin Jefferson is off to a slow start and might be the WR3 on the Vikings to start out. Either way, I wanted to include Bisi on my list as he has plenty of opportunity to see an expanded role.

Tre'Quan Smith (WR-NO)
Clearly lots of disappointment around Smith as he was just one of the guys we all liked at some point. The good news is that he is still young and should see some quality playing time. Drew Brees has stated that Smith is a breakout candidate this season and I can see it. No way do teams let Michael Thomas EAT like he did every game last season. This would alleviate some pressure off of Smith to get some serious action.

Which backups entice you the most? There is obviously no right or wrong answer since there is quite a bit of luck that plays in this situation...injury, COVID-19, etc...
Last edited by McCafsteez on Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Best Backups to Own

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm

I don't mind who you picked for QB. I'll throw Hurts and Love into the mix. Wentz has an injury history and who knows what AROD does after the year...

When I clicked on the thread, I immediately thought of Pollard. Interesting you have Dallas instead.

I'd like to add for RB - Mattison behind an off injured Cook. He's also has a chance at being a starter next year. That's a long ways out though.

Edmonds for similar reasons

Hunt - Is he too obvious?

Hines - I feel like they will ask JT to slowly take over Mack's role and leave the pass catching to Hines. PPR steal imo

If you could correctly tell me the KC backup RB with confidence, I'd put him on here.

J Jackson, L Murray strictly as a handcuff to their starters. I don't see much future value for either

WR
Pittman - he's probably WR3 and may soon take over Parris for WR2. Maybe not the best example of a "backup" but could see his role changing very quickly with TY and Parris in front of him. Neither are exactly very durable.

Goedert - might be cheating to include him as he will play a lot more than most TE2. Still counts for me

OJ Howard - lol just kidding... Unless...

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:29 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm I don't mind who you picked for QB. I'll throw Hurts and Love into the mix. Wentz has an injury history and who knows what AROD does after the year...

When I clicked on the thread, I immediately thought of Pollard. Interesting you have Dallas instead.

I'd like to add for RB - Mattison behind an off injured Cook. He's also has a chance at being a starter next year. That's a long ways out though.

Edmonds for similar reasons

Hunt - Is he too obvious?

Hines - I feel like they will ask JT to slowly take over Mack's role and leave the pass catching to Hines. PPR steal imo

If you could correctly tell me the KC backup RB with confidence, I'd put him on here.

J Jackson, L Murray strictly as a handcuff to their starters. I don't see much future value for either

WR
Pittman - he's probably WR3 and may soon take over Parris for WR2. Maybe not the best example of a "backup" but could see his role changing very quickly with TY and Parris in front of him. Neither are exactly very durable.

Goedert - might be cheating to include him as he will play a lot more than most TE2. Still counts for me

OJ Howard - lol just kidding... Unless...
Excellent choices!! I feel Hunt, Mattison & Goedert are more of the talked about candidates so I didn't include them. I truly like the Pollard choice here. He can more than likely handle the work load for Dallas if Zeke goes down and same goes for Edmonds. Love and Hurts were also fantastic selections here as both could see some huge playing time in the next couple of years!
-

2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:41 pm

I don't count hunt as a back up, like how no one counted Ingram or Kamara as backups when they were playing together

Top backup imo is Marlon Mack or AJ Dillon. Both are likely going to be behind entrenched starters at the beginning/shortly after the season starts, but both I think could satisfactorily handle a full workload if given the opportunity.

I would say dobbins or swift, but I think those are closer to 1a/1b situations.
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:00 pm

How about Gio? Mixon isn't happy with contract and isn't practicing. Murray is good, so is Duke Johnson, I mean how confident are we really with D Johnson.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:06 pm

Give me Snell over McFarland without a doubt.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Blueboy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:06 pm Give me Snell over McFarland without a doubt.
I'd take Snell over McFarland as well. I've been hearing good things about Snell out of camp.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:18 pm

Brees and Payton talking up Tre'Quan this off season, as recently as today.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

straightcashhomie831
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby straightcashhomie831 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:20 pm

carlos hyde over Deejay Dallas for me unless we are talking dynasty...i think Pete would go with the vet and Hyde has looked ok too.

eattle Seahawks running back Carlos Hyde is expected to be "a big factor for us," says head coach Pete Carroll. Hyde's looked good so far in Seattle's scrimmages and is set to enter 2020 as the No. 2 back in Seattle behind Chris Carson. It'll be interesting to see if he maintains that role once ...

Ill add Mckinnon (no faith in Coleman) and Shady Mccoy

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Mattison to me is still the really obvious choice to me as far as strict backups(no hunt). System and good enough talent. Cook has injuries, in a contract year and has seemed to toy with a holdout.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 pm

straightcashhomie831 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:20 pm carlos hyde over Deejay Dallas for me unless we are talking dynasty...i think Pete would go with the vet and Hyde has looked ok too.

eattle Seahawks running back Carlos Hyde is expected to be "a big factor for us," says head coach Pete Carroll. Hyde's looked good so far in Seattle's scrimmages and is set to enter 2020 as the No. 2 back in Seattle behind Chris Carson. It'll be interesting to see if he maintains that role once ...

Yeah, but if Penny is still the way he was before he went down last year, he's the guy in Seattle behind Carson. He will most likely be a 2nd half of the year player though, probably going will start the year on PUP.

straightcashhomie831
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby straightcashhomie831 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:57 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 pm
straightcashhomie831 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:20 pm carlos hyde over Deejay Dallas for me unless we are talking dynasty...i think Pete would go with the vet and Hyde has looked ok too.

Yeah, but if Penny is still the way he was before he went down last year, he's the guy in Seattle behind Carson. He will most likely be a 2nd half of the year player though, probably going will start the year on PUP.
yea, that's pretty far down the line. I'm not sure if i can count on a guy coming off an ACL tear. Usually takes a while for guys to get back to where they were...so many hurdles.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:01 pm

Kinda hard to see what the focus is here.

Short term stashes like RG3?

Long term stashes like TreQuan Smith? Ie, low floor this year, high potential ceiling future years.

Long term assets with strong short term floors like Goedert?

Some good suggestions made for each of these categories. Others- McKissic/Barber, Stills, Demarcus Robinson/Pringle, Eno Benjamin, Tate/Shepard/Slayton (whoever is 3rd), Trayveon Williams.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:01 pm Kinda hard to see what the focus is here.

Short term stashes like RG3?

Long term stashes like TreQuan Smith? Ie, low floor this year, high potential ceiling future years.

Long term assets with strong short term floors like Goedert?

Some good suggestions made for each of these categories. Others- McKissic/Barber, Stills, Demarcus Robinson/Pringle, Eno Benjamin, Tate/Shepard/Slayton (whoever is 3rd), Trayveon Williams.
Honestly, just interested in seeing some people's selections of good backup options. Whether it is short term or long term. Some of the backups listed so far will absolutely play a huge role one rosters this year, especially with COVID-19 around.

I like your Giants WR selection. I think all three have a shot to be a productive WR. I would say my rankings this year for that group is Slayton, Tate, and then Shepard. Also have heard great things about Eno so far!
-

2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:15 pm

straightcashhomie831 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:57 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 pm

yea, that's pretty far down the line. I'm not sure if i can count on a guy coming off an ACL tear. Usually takes a while for guys to get back to where they were...so many hurdles.
For sure. The other two are guys where you could get a quick value spike and trade them....