Shenault = S.O.D?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Avery
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Shenault = S.O.D?

Postby Avery » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Ok. This post comes with two (big) caveats.

1. I don’t watch much college ball and rely on opinions and information from people who do.

2. I’m self-aware enough that since I just took him when Mims (my target) went right before my pick, I’m trying to feel better about it.

With that being said, why is he being entirely forgotten In the dynasty community when other other players each have their own hype machines?

From what I’ve seen, he is a better route runner than Paterson (a common comp) and although still raw, a more polished and natural receiver.

There are two big knocks on him I’ve seen:
1. He sh@t the bed at the combine?
Dude was hurt and still ran a 4.58(?). I mean he was wearing a sports hernia needing surgery and was still fast enough for the NFL. That leads right in to #2...

2. Injury concerns.
Yup. He has a lot of injuries last year, and into this year, but players are injury risks... until they aren’t. I haven’t seen a systemic issue, like a repeated injury, that would speak of an issue. Just a string of bad luck.

So, although I get I’m trying to wear the rose colored glasses, I just see the same player that would have been a top WR taken in 2019 who suffered through an injury plagued year on a bad team, and due to a pandemic, couldn’t work out for teams making him a steal in the mid to late 2nd round, or later, of a rookie draft.

What am I missing/entirely wrong here?
Team 1: Dynasty/Contract Team: 12 Team, PPR, QB,1 RB, 2WR, 2 Flex WR/RB, TE (Premium TE scoring: 1.25X receiving yards points)
QB – J. Hurts, A Richardson (R-IR))
RB – Javonte Williams, K. Walker III,J. Hill, J. Ford, K. Miller (R), J.K. Dobbins (IR), K. Hebert (IR)
WR – J. Chase, C. Lamb, K. Allen, T. Burks, DJ Chark, P. Nakua (R)
TE – D. Waller, C. Okonkwo, L. Thomas, J. Ferguson

Team 2: Dynasty Team: 12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex WR/RB/TE (Premium TE scoring: 1.5X receiving yards points)
QB - A. Rodgers, L. Jackson
RB - B. Hall, S. Barkley, A. Kamara, E. Mitchell, J. Mason, Z. White, K. Miller (R), T. Spears (R)
WR - T. Hill, D. Adams, C. Watson, M. Brown, R. Rice (R)
TE - D. Waller, G. Kittle, J. Ferguson

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: Shenault = S.O.D?

Postby Mjvb5 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:04 pm

That's honestly the big reason why there isn't a lotta hype around him. While a lot of guys this year are either
A. Bonafide stud prospects- lamb and jeudy
B. Walking into an A+ situation-jefferson, Pittman, and raegor
C. Huge risers as of late thereby drawing a ton of attention- mom's and aiyuk

He's kinda the only guy to hit none of the boxes thereby drawing almost no hype. He's a guy I had no interest in when he was going top 10 of rookies drafts, but the reality is he's a phenomenal value on the late second where I often see him. The reality of those guys thatre just guys who fell and then became values is that they don't get a lotta hype because everyone's salivating over those other three types of options.

Higgins kinda checks these same boxes just to a slightly lesser extent

Avery
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Avery » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:10 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:04 pm That's honestly the big reason why there isn't a lotta hype around him. While a lot of guys this year are either
A. Bonafide stud prospects- lamb and jeudy
B. Walking into an A+ situation-jefferson, Pittman, and raegor

He's kinda the only guy to hit none of the boxes thereby drawing almost no hype. He's a guy I had no interest in when he was going top 10 of rookies drafts, but the reality is he's a phenomenal value on the late second where I often see him. The reality of those guys thatre just guys who fell and then became values is that they don't get a lotta hype because everyone's salivating over those other three types of options.

Higgins kinda checks these same boxes just to a slightly lesser extent
Yeah generally agree (and on Higgins who went two picks before me :| ) but Shenault was seen as a top prospect when her was healthy, I think going into a better situation than is billed (Minshaw's game suits his play for now, and there is also likely to be a rookie QB upgrade next year if Minshaw doesn't progress and the other WRs aren't long established) and he has, from what I read, looked explosive in camp.

And I agree, he probably shouldn't go above some other guys but where he's going what's not to like and be excited about?
Team 1: Dynasty/Contract Team: 12 Team, PPR, QB,1 RB, 2WR, 2 Flex WR/RB, TE (Premium TE scoring: 1.25X receiving yards points)
RB – Javonte Williams, K. Walker III,J. Hill, J. Ford, K. Miller (R), J.K. Dobbins (IR), K. Hebert (IR)

Team 2: Dynasty Team: 12 Team, 0.5 PPR, QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex WR/RB/TE (Premium TE scoring: 1.5X receiving yards points)
RB - B. Hall, S. Barkley, A. Kamara, E. Mitchell, J. Mason, Z. White, K. Miller (R), T. Spears (R)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:04 pm

I'm confused. Are people's mothers bringing baked goods to training camp or something? Curious why they are getting so much attention, with mothers day not even close... :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:47 pm

What the hell does S.O.D. mean?

Avery
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Avery » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:56 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:47 pm What the hell does S.O.D. mean?
Steal of the Draft

I thought that was a well know football expression... #unsure:

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:01 pm

Avery wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:56 pm
Steal of the Draft

Not to be confused with the British expression, where you could tell the OP to "Sod off", with this take. :wink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:11 pm

His routes aren’t great and he relied a lot on gadgetry to get open in college. I expect he’ll make a few big plays, but he’ll need to develop his skillset to be effective in the NFL. That said, this is the same coaching staff that seemed to be able to maximize Chark, so I think if you’re making bets, he’s not a bad one to make.

I have him as my 8th or 9th receiver in this draft... which... wow, what a draft, buf I could see him as high as 5th and as low as 10th.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Avery
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Avery » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:01 pm
Steal of the Draft

Not to be confused with the British expression, where you could tell the OP to "Sod off", with this take. :wink:
:lol:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:45 pm

He is not close to the “steal of the draft”

WTF you talkin about Willis.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Avery
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Avery » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:47 pm

ericanadian wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:11 pm His routes aren’t great and he relied a lot on gadgetry to get open in college. I expect he’ll make a few big plays, but he’ll need to develop his skillset to be effective in the NFL. That said, this is the same coaching staff that seemed to be able to maximize Chark, so I think if you’re making bets, he’s not a bad one to make.

I have him as my 8th or 9th receiver in this draft... which... wow, what a draft, buf I could see him as high as 5th and as low as 10th.
Right! This is another point I meant to mention. Keenan McCardrell is a very good WR coach and is a good match to bring the best out of Shenault.

As for his routes, listening to Matt Waldman talk about him, he said his routes did need work, but he had all the basic skills to build on to succeed as a WR in the NFL.

Choo-choo?

Avery
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Avery » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Ice wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:45 pm He is not close to the “steal of the draft”

WTF you talkin about Willis.
Hard to argue with this logic...

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:16 pm

Steal of the Draft

Boooooooo go home FF, you're drunk :lol:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Steal of the Draft

:lol:

I see, I'd say he's a high upside low floor prospect, similar to Courtland Sutton in 2018. I had a better feeling about Sutton given how much he improved in the off-season with minimal coaching (whereas Shenault was recovering from injury this off-season); but Shenault has the physical stature and playmaking ability to be a true alpha WR in the NFL, and I wouldn't say his routes are as bad as some people are making them out to be. They're definitely a point of his game that will need to improve for him to reach his ceiling, but he's not hopeless in that regard.

His potential is up there with the best of the Wide receivers in this class, but I'm not bullish on his odds of getting there.

jcc6fd
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jcc6fd » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:50 pm

Biggest reason he isn't going earlier? Bad situation in a bad offense with a below average QB with a low passing volume with a crowded WR room. Plus JAX keeps taking WRs high in the draft every year that have disappointed to date with the exception of Chark.

Really doesn't have much to do with his talent, but his situation could genuinely kill his chances at being fantasy relevant.
10 Team Half PPR Scoring SF
QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Minshew
RB: Kamara, K. Hunt, Warren, Bigsby, D. Cook, Jamaal Williams, J. Wilson, McLaughlin, McKinnon, J. Kelley
WR: A.J. Brown, Diggs, K. Allen, C. Watson, Cooks, Pickens, W. Robinson
TE: Kelce, J. Smith, Musgrave