General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Re: Please explain the Jonnu Smith hype

Postby dustyroads » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Kmani6 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:08 pm
dustyroads wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:44 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 am New England is very run heavy too though and the QB downgrade is significant.

I'm sure there will be more targets, I'm just skeptical of the quality of the targets
This is how I saw it, surprised so many see it as a definite upgrade. I get Titans weren't using him to the best of his abilities, so there would probably be optimism regardless of where he moved; but I don't see the Patriots with re-signing Cam as that much better of a spot to improve the numbers he put up last season. He was 41 of 65 for 448 and 8 TDs with a Tannehill/offense passing 315 of 481 for 3819 and 33 TDs. Cam/Patriots off. went 242 of 368 for 2657 and 8 TDs. He targeted his ALL his tight ends (Keene, Asiasi, Izzo) 32 times for 18 receptions, 254 yards, 1TD.

Is Jonnu an upgrade over the current Patriots TEs? I think most would agree that's a big yes; but I'm not seeing much to get that excited over. I think he'll actually be lucky if he puts up comparable fantasy numbers by the end of the season.

Jonnu had a 13% target share and 65 targets on the season. He was extremely underutilized in Tennessee over the past 4 years. With the money the pats gave him and BB thinking he is a top TE, he is going to be a focal point of that offense. I’m sure they’ll find creative ways to use him as well.
I'd have to agree when their current best offensive weapon is the undrafted WR Jakobi Meyers. My doubt isn't in BB, but more the offense as a whole, and mostly because it'll be helmed by Cam Newton. I know some people think he will bounce back, but he looked doner than done with my eyes last year. Odds are they will draft a QB, and not only is Cam's contract is team friendly, but built for the Patriots to save money if they get him on the bench at some point (~$6 million based on play time and snap percentages). I just would guess that transition will be happening later in the NFL season, so real benefits to Jonnu coming very late in the fantasy season, if at all this year IMO.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:24 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:13 pm
Sriracha wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:05 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:03 pm
Big Fan of this move as an owner of Smith in a few leagues.

Cam is good with TE's historically and Jonnu is a quality move TE with good hands and runs solid routes.
Cam has historically been good with his WR1's as well... hard to rely on his past success when he looked so awful to end the year.

Let's just hope that Cam isn't cooked and was just dealing with some things on the down low last year.
Cam was a little better late in a new offense last year. No camp then getting Covid hurt. No weapons at any receiving position didn't help either.

Cam may be a bridge QB this coming season but don't think he will completely flame out. The Pat's are pretty good overall judging talent and given they just gave Cam a little money they must think he can play and even if he is pushed to a back up it won't kill them financially.

Time will tell but think Smith will be a very good scheme fit for a few years in Patriot country.
Agreed, I don't think he'll bottom out regardless of QB play.

YAC monster, and BB didn't just make him the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL to block.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 am New England is very run heavy too though and the QB downgrade is significant.

I'm sure there will be more targets, I'm just skeptical of the quality of the targets
Don't worry, it'll all click into place when Beli takes Mac Jones at 15. :thumbup:

Jonnu got this contract in part because of the run heavy identity. He's an excellent blocker, and a true 3-down TE - he'll never come off the field.

Part of what makes him so lethal as a YAC monster is exactly this run-heavy offense - he does a lot of his eating primarily off of play action, and this is most definitely a play-action league. It's a big part of why he scored 9 TD's last year.

As others have said - it's pretty much the best non-TN landing spot possible outside of Buffalo. It's uh... not like the Patriots don't know how to use a talented RAC monster TE.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm

mild wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Don't worry, it'll all click into place when Beli takes Mac Jones at 15. :thumbup:

Jonnu got this contract in part because of the run heavy identity. He's an excellent blocker, and a true 3-down TE - he'll never come off the field.

Part of what makes him so lethal as a YAC monster is exactly this run-heavy offense - he does a lot of his eating primarily off of play action, and this is most definitely a play-action league. It's a big part of why he scored 9 TD's last year.

As others have said - it's pretty much the best non-TN landing spot possible outside of Buffalo. It's uh... not like the Patriots don't know how to use a talented RAC monster TE.
Think Jones is the NE pick as well but they will need to move up to get him IMO. The Pats have a pretty complicated offense and Jones is a really smart kid. His academic achievements are off the charts good.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm Think Jones is the NE pick as well but they will need to move up to get him IMO. The Pats have a pretty complicated offense and Jones is a really smart kid. His academic achievements are off the charts good.
Yeah, I'm seeing what you're seeing. I think he could execute the hell out of that offense.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:23 pm

mild wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm Think Jones is the NE pick as well but they will need to move up to get him IMO. The Pats have a pretty complicated offense and Jones is a really smart kid. His academic achievements are off the charts good.
Yeah, I'm seeing what you're seeing. I think he could execute the hell out of that offense.
Match made in heaven... but I don't see him lasting to pick 15

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Sriracha wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:23 pm
mild wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:20 pm
Match made in heaven... but I don't see him lasting to pick 15
I could definitely see him lasting until at least pick 10. Once you're at that point, there's two main teams I see as potential suitors... SF at 12, and the Vikings at 14. The Cowboys (10), Giants (11), and Chargers (13) are all set - I'm a Giants fan (allegedly) and I see them going skill-position one more time to try and "save" D-Jones. (God how I hate them)

If Mac Jones is on the clock at 12 for SF then I think things could get very very interesting. We know NE / SF have a tight working relationship between their FO's... might be smoke, might be fire. Of course, if SF take Mac, then we can start the Jimmy G to NE stove again...

To get back to Jonnu for a second, a little nugget of note - the Patriots just gave Jonnu the 2nd most garunteed money they've ever given a free agent, second only to Stephon Gilmour. They clearly believe in the "Jonnu Smith hype" 8-)

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:56 pm

Jonnu is a special player at TE with the ball in his hands.

He's not quite Kittle, Fant.. but his YAC is for real. I'm expecting him to be a featured weapon in this offense unlike anyway TEN utilized him.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:53 pm

mild wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Don't get me wrong. I think Jonnu is a solid TE, who is underutilized. And he's still young enough where his best days are easily ahead of him. But, New England doesn't strike me as a great landing spot.

Sure, Gronk and Hernandez succeeded there, and Belichick and McDaniels are still there, but the biggest factor in that production who isn't...is Tom Brady. We'll have to see who the QB is next season, but right now I think with Cam Newton and a run heavy scheme, the quality of targets isn't great.

It kind of reminds me of when Charles Clay went to Buffalo.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:39 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:53 pm We'll have to see who the QB is next season, but right now I think with Cam Newton and a run heavy scheme, the quality of targets isn't great.
We're all gambling men here (we play fantasy after all) so I'm not exactly preaching to the masses - but there is just no way that Cam and his 5 million dollar contract will be the only QB in the building for 2021. They are most definitely making one more move of note, at least.

Todd Gurley is getting paid more than Cam for the 2021 season. Let THAT sink in. :lol:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:52 pm

Cam will make more if he's the starter..

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:10 am

Hunter Henry enters the chat

krtbuckeye
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby krtbuckeye » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:14 am

Strike my previous comment about NE being a bump for Smith.
The Highwaymen
🏆 2020, 2021, 2022
🥈 2018, 2019

10 Team SF, PPR, Roster: 33+2 IR+2 Taxi
Start: QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, SF, FLX (RB/WR), K, 2 DL, LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP FLX

**IDP scoring is TKL heavy (1.0 solo and asst), no QBH or TFL.**

QB: Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts
RB: Jahmyr Gibbs, D’Andre Swift, Jerome Ford, Khalil Herbert, Jaleel McLaughlin, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Isaiah Spiller, Chase Brown, Evan Hull (IR), Sean Tucker
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown, DeVonta Smith, Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Josh Palmer, Demario Douglas, Alec Pierce, Michael Wilson, Jalin Hyatt, Kayshon Boutte (Taxi)
TE: Sam LaPorta, Trey McBride
K: Jake Elliott
DL: Danielle Hunter, Aiden Hutchinson, Jaelan Phillips (IR)
LB: Bobby Wagner, Jordyn Brooks, Logan Wilson, Ernest Jones
DB: Derwin James, Brian Branch

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:35 am

2TE sets with Cam either running or throwing 10 yards down field. sounds good to me.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:42 am

abloom wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:35 am 2TE sets with Cam either running or throwing 10 yards down field. sounds good to me.
:thumbup:

History repeating itself. Don't let either of them have a gun.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts