Please explain the Jonnu Smith hype

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Re: Please explain the Jonnu Smith hype

Postby TimeWillTell » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:47 pm

mild wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:20 pm
TimeWillTell wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:35 am I can't believe I dropped him at roster cuts and kept Herndon. Stupid. Not in trying to buy him back and the price is Pittman+Late 2nd. Ugh
Well, my little victory lap jinxed him and now he's injured, so maybe there's a buy window again... :cry:

But no, he's a top 5 TE r.o.s easily - with TE being such a wasteland this year nobody should be giving him up.
I made the trade right before the game started. Guess we will see.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Life of Pablo
Starter
Starter

Postby Life of Pablo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 am

He reminds me of Austin Hooper in previous years. Good not great TE in a very good situation.

Also, fellow Titans TE Anthony Firkser just had 9 targets for 8 catches (1 TD) and 113 yards. In the 50 career games he's played so far, Jonnu has never reached any of those target/catch/yard marks. Considering they're both 25 and in their 4th year in the NFL, perhaps it's Firkser that deserves the hype.
10-team standard, 18-man rosters (plus K/D + 1 IR + 2 TAXI)
1QB | 2RB | 2WR | 1TE | 1FLEX
2021: 8-6, 5th (AP: 76-50 / 60.3%, 3rd) ||| Runner-up
2022: 5-1, 2nd (AP: 47-7 / 87.0%, 1st)

QB: Hurts, Russ, Carr
RB: Chubb, Pierce, Swift, JRob, D'Ernest, Ford
WR: Diggs, Evans, GDavis, Nuk, Keenan, Hollywood, Mooney, CSamuel, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Dulcich, Fant
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
2024 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 am

Life of Pablo wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 am He reminds me of Austin Hooper in previous years. Good not great TE in a very good situation.

Also, fellow Titans TE Anthony Firkser just had 9 targets for 8 catches (1 TD) and 113 yards. In the 50 career games he's played so far, Jonnu has never reached any of those target/catch/yard marks. Considering they're both 25 and in their 4th year in the NFL, perhaps it's Firkser that deserves the hype.
Smith is a walking highlight reel but he's not a traditional TE. Jared Cook like, will always tease you and leave you unfulfilled.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 am
Life of Pablo wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 am He reminds me of Austin Hooper in previous years. Good not great TE in a very good situation.
Smith is a walking highlight reel but he's not a traditional TE. Jared Cook like, will always tease you and leave you unfulfilled.
I don't know about either of these calls. Jonnu is far the superior athlete to Hooper. Like, that's barely even close - check your eyes and check the SPARQ results. One of these guys has proper home-run speed. The other is a white guy with good hands that plays for the Browns.

As for feeling unfulfilled - if you'd started him any week except this one, you'd be feeling pretty fulfilled this year. He's the number 3 TE in fantasy.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 pm

I guess the weird takes were waiting for an injury to come out of the dark. Firkser can play too, could be an Austin Hooper type

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Looks like Jonnu’s production is closely tied to the health of AJB and Corey Davis.

Might be a good idea to buy low on him to end the year in the likely scenario Corey Davis leaves in FA

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:34 pm

Sriracha wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:29 pm Looks like Jonnu’s production is closely tied to the health of AJB and Corey Davis.

Might be a good idea to buy low on him to end the year in the likely scenario Corey Davis leaves in FA
My theory is that the injury he picked up recently has been nagging him more than was let on... hence Firkser seeing more of the snap and target share.

Similar to how Kittle plays through various injuries - at TE, if you can move well enough to block - then they'll try get you out there. That might not necessarily conflate to running fast, though.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:01 pm

His snap share hasnt changed, and he hasnt been on the injury report since week 7.

Anything’s possible, but I really think it’s as simple as this offense can’t support three receiving options — and #1 and #2 remains AJB and Corey Davis

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 pm

Werent the Titans winning when Jonnu was targeted more? :think:

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:19 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:52 pm
While Corey Davis has been a major fantasy dud the Titans organization is extremely happy with Corey Davis as their number 2 option, especially in their offense. If you look at a lot of their long plays, chances are you will find CD blocking downfield. Coaches and local beat writers have talked all offseason how they think working with Tannehill now will help Davis. Nobody around the organization has stated anything other than Brown and Davis are the 1-2 in the receiving game.

I'll be utterly shocked if Jonnu has more targets than CD next year. In fact, I bet Adam Humphries has more targets than Jonnu next season.
Bot101 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 pm Werent the Titans winning when Jonnu was targeted more? :think:
As a Titans fan I tried to warn you guys. Adam Humprhies has 4 less targets this year than Jonnu despite being knocked unconscious in one game and playing one less game than Jonnu.

Jonnu was always going to be the 3rd option at best in a run heavy offense. Not something to be particularly excited about.

As for the Titans woes, they are losing because they are allowing opposing offense to convert on over 60% of their 3rd downs. For context no team has allowed over 50% since they started tracking that stat in 1991. Them not throwing Jonnu the ball has nothing to do with it.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:06 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:19 am Jonnu was always going to be the 3rd option at best in a run heavy offense. Not something to be particularly excited about.
I don't know man, it's TE - and despite having three dud weeks in a row now (and his bye) (and getting knocked out of a game) he's still the TE7 in a 0.5 PPR league (what I play). He's approximately one 4 yard catch behind Mark Andrews (TE6) in that format.

He's well ahead of other breakout darlings like Hunter Henry (TE15), Mike Gesiecki (TE17) and Evan Engram (TE16) - despite all of those offenses featuring more than capable aerial attacks with a tonne of positive pass script. Like... a tonne. He's done quite a bit more than Evan Engram with nearly 20 less targets (54 to 35). Third option, Sixth option, whatever he is - he's still had two 2-TD games this year - which tells me that Tanny likes looking for him when it's time to put points on the board.

You're comparing him to a slot WR and saying that he won't out-target or out-produce him. It's not a fair comparison. You're saying it's nothing to be excited about - and yet he's given us two week-winning performances at the worst skill position in fantasy, and a bunch more usable ones. Don't get excited by all means, but put a tiny bit more respect on the man's name - TE being what it is, I have no problem calling Jonnu a top 5 dynasty TE going forward.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:23 pm

mild wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:06 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:19 am Jonnu was always going to be the 3rd option at best in a run heavy offense. Not something to be particularly excited about.
I don't know man, it's TE - and despite having three dud weeks in a row now (and his bye) (and getting knocked out of a game) he's still the TE7 in a 0.5 PPR league (what I play). He's approximately one 4 yard catch behind Mark Andrews (TE6) in that format.

He's well ahead of other breakout darlings like Hunter Henry (TE15), Mike Gesiecki (TE17) and Evan Engram (TE16) - despite all of those offenses featuring more than capable aerial attacks with a tonne of positive pass script. Like... a tonne. He's done quite a bit more than Evan Engram with nearly 20 less targets (54 to 35). Third option, Sixth option, whatever he is - he's still had two 2-TD games this year - which tells me that Tanny likes looking for him when it's time to put points on the board.

You're comparing him to a slot WR and saying that he won't out-target or out-produce him. It's not a fair comparison. You're saying it's nothing to be excited about - and yet he's given us two week-winning performances at the worst skill position in fantasy, and a bunch more usable ones. Don't get excited by all means, but put a tiny bit more respect on the man's name - TE being what it is, I have no problem calling Jonnu a top 5 dynasty TE going forward.
He's been useable because AJB and Corey Davis have both missed a ton of games this year.

I think he's got a decent chance to break into the top 8 next off-season if Davis leaves in FA (which I believe is likely).. but top 5? Kelce, Kittle, Fant, Andrews, Waller, Goedert, Hock should all be ahead of him, imo.

If Davis stays (please no :pray: ) he's not going to be in my top 10.

Evan Engram and Gesicki should've both been easy fades given their efficiency this off-season. Jonnu is clearly now ahead of both of them :thumbup:

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:58 pm

mild wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:06 pm

You clearly missed my point in your effort to prop up Jonnu. I'm not comparing him to Humphries, but I have no problem saying that I really don't want the 3rd/4th option on a low volume passing attack. When you start to discuss the multi TD games you are venturing on the TD dependent territory of Ebron a couple years ago. As long as they come it's great, but as soon as they don't it's awful

TE is really a sack of potatoes after Kelce and Kittle. Just reach into the bag and grab one. Jonnu being TE7 says more about the position as a whole than it does about Jonnu being good.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:26 pm

it's tough to get volume when AJ Brown just scores from 40 yards out every drive :(

trc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby trc » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:32 am

Krypto_King wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:26 pm it's tough to get volume when AJ Brown just scores from 40 yards out every drive :(
And Tannehill managed an impressive game with 10 completions of 21 try's.