Re: Alvin Kamara: Cause for concern?

Postby prinefan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:19 pm

Not concerned at all.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:36 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:18 pm I may be looking at it wrong, but the fact he was injured makes me feel better about him. He had a down year last year, but was still solid, and he had this injury. Makes me more confident in a rebound.

I’m not that concerned about a lingering issue.
I think we knew he played through a serious injury as soon as the end of the season. We didn't know he had a tear in his knee. Maybe it doesn't change anything. I'm slightly more concerned, but it's not going to change his value for me as he looked pretty damn good at the end of the season.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:18 pm I may be looking at it wrong, but the fact he was injured makes me feel better about him. He had a down year last year, but was still solid, and he had this injury. Makes me more confident in a rebound.

Exactly how I look at it. I actually feel better about him and I think everyone knew he wasn’t full strength last season.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:15 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Exactly how I look at it. I actually feel better about him and I think everyone knew he wasn’t full strength last season.
I'm on the other side of this. Any injury to a players knee is always a negative for me. I knew he wasn't healthy last year, I thought it was an ankle injury and back, or something like that, but the fact he had a knee injury on top of it, worries me. Injuries that aren't repaired with off season surgery sometimes crop up again the next year, or again in season. D Jax last year, Guice tore his ACL after playing through a knee injury the prior year, Lev Bell tore his knee the year after hyper extending his knee etc. The Bell injury I think would have happened regardless, but the point is, a tear to a players knee is never a good thing.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Mike from Canada
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Mike from Canada » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:17 pm

I get what you're saying but really these are just anecdotal examples. I don't know if there is any real evidence that he's really more likely to suffer a significant injury because he nicked up his knee. Chubb blew his knee years ago. You're right it's not a great thing that he tore something last year but we all know RB's are an injury waiting to happen, that's why no matter how good Kamara is over the next two years his value will start to dive after that.

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:38 pm

I'm not concerned if Kamara is on the field he will put up points. I would like to have Murray though if I do own Kamara because Murray could start a lot of places and will likely be a RB1 if Kamara goes down

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:10 am

So this for me. When we learned previously that he had been playing injured, I became more confident and ended up being able to add him in one league.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:03 am

The only injury I ever had (as a high school athlete, mind you) that I tried to play through was a torn meniscus. It sucked, I wasn't my normal self, and a year later I had to get it scoped because of all the excess damage it caused to my cartilage.

I don't know if that even translates to an NFL caliber player, but my own bias makes me worry that he's not taking the proper steps to get through this thing, especially as he passes through the prime of his career.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:52 am

hard to say, a "torn knee" isn't exactly what you call a medically accurate diagnosis.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:24 am

It all depends on what the torn knee is. Certainly does not appear to be ligament (as even if he could play the season on it, he likely would have had surgery to repair it) so most likely meniscus. Depending on the degree of the tear its possible that he could play on it and he could pretty much be asymptomatic. Since he hasn't had surgery during the off season, my guess is that he is capable of playing through it. Maybe it means he's a little slower cutting but if he believes its not something that requires surgery I don't think it will have a significant impact on his output. Certainly the Saints aren't super concerned, its not like that brought in significant RB talent either in FA or the draft.

I think this gives Lat Murray a little bit of an extra boost and if I had kamara, I'd like to acquire him asap.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am

Me too. I think he will be close to full strength.

Lord_Varys
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Lord_Varys » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm

Plant based diets are not good. I'm fading from 1.04 to 1.05, lol

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:30 pm

abloom wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:24 am It all depends on what the torn knee is. Certainly does not appear to be ligament (as even if he could play the season on it, he likely would have had surgery to repair it) so most likely meniscus. Depending on the degree of the tear its possible that he could play on it and he could pretty much be asymptomatic. Since he hasn't had surgery during the off season, my guess is that he is capable of playing through it. Maybe it means he's a little slower cutting but if he believes its not something that requires surgery I don't think it will have a significant impact on his output. Certainly the Saints aren't super concerned, its not like that brought in significant RB talent either in FA or the draft.

I think this gives Lat Murray a little bit of an extra boost and if I had kamara, I'd like to acquire him asap.
Agreed on all points, I could be wrong but from my memory meniscus shouldn't cause any performance problems (if cleaned up properly) but can be bad in a few years time (which shouldn't matter as by that point he'll probably be a sell anyway because of age). I agree that there doesn't seem to be a lot of concern shown by Kamara or the Saints so I'll trust them and assume its not that bad until proven otherwise.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:44 pm

Lord_Varys wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm Plant based diets are not good. I'm fading from 1.04 to 1.05, lol
Lol, I randomly heard about this this am. Still concerned when Arian Foster went vegan.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:23 am

One can hope but feeling better about a knee injury for RB?????

Thinking there is an oxymoron in there someplace. :biggrin:
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts