Antonio Gibson Rocket Ship - Round 2

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Bot101 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:19 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:05 am
Patsfan86 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 am Do we think any major competition gets brought in for him via the draft? Or is he all set?
Define major? I think they will take a RB for depth, but true competition I don't think will be drafted. He took the ball and ran with it
Pun fully intended.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 pm

Gibson feels super overrated to me right now. I’m not sure what I’m missing here? I mean he looked OK, but I wouldn’t call him special or anything. He had one very good game vs the cowboys and was generally adequate the rest of the way.
Feels like maybe some back clapping by those who drafted him. He outperformed his ADP, I’ll give you that. But let’s not go crazy here, are some people really ranking him as a top 12 dynasty RB1 moving forward? Not for me.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:00 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 pm Gibson feels super overrated to me right now. I’m not sure what I’m missing here? I mean he looked OK, but I wouldn’t call him special or anything. He had one very good game vs the cowboys and was generally adequate the rest of the way.
Feels like maybe some back clapping by those who drafted him. He outperformed his ADP, I’ll give you that. But let’s not go crazy here, are some people really ranking him as a top 12 dynasty RB1 moving forward? Not for me.
Not sure where you are getting "one good game" from? In .5 ppr he was the RB5 overall through 11 weeks until he hurt his toe. You don't do that with "one good game."

Even with the three missed games, he finished as the RB12 in .5 ppr. Why wouldn't you have him as a top 12 dynasty RB1? He already was a top 12 dynasty RB1 last year despite receiving 55% of the snaps and limited passing game work on an otherwise atrocious offense. Placing him as a top 12 dynasty RB1 is just an accurate reflection of reality.

I think you are missing everything. This is a Jonathan Taylor level athlete that produced top 5 overall RB numbers, when healthy, as a rookie in a 50/50 backfield. He is everything you could want possibly want in an RB. 100th percentile size/speed combo, nose for the endzone, demonstrated pass catching ability, proven production, full backing of the coaching staff. It could be years before a prospect of his caliber comes around again, there certainly isn't one in this class.

He has RB1 overall upside.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:14 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:05 am
Patsfan86 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:25 am Do we think any major competition gets brought in for him via the draft? Or is he all set?
Define major? I think they will take a RB for depth, but true competition I don't think will be drafted. He took the ball and ran with it
Day 2 draft selection.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:21 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 pm Gibson feels super overrated to me right now. I’m not sure what I’m missing here? I mean he looked OK, but I wouldn’t call him special or anything. He had one very good game vs the cowboys and was generally adequate the rest of the way.
This is why i really wanted him to play the full Steelers game. He would have really shown you what he has against a good defense, he was totally hitting his rookie stride then and everyone would have seen what he can do. I mean idk what you mean by special but as someone who had such limited college RB reps to come in and produce like that on the fly is quite a feat. He only has room to grow and thats very exciting. And Rivera didnt involve him much in the passing game since he was learning the position, but we saw an awesome glimpse of what he can do in the passing game when WFT played Baltimore.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm

I agree, I just don't get it. Everyone and their mother ran all over Dallas (seriously google kenyan drakes mom). He's not somebody I would touch at his current price.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 pm

MFundercover wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm
I agree, I just don't get it. Everyone and their mother ran all over Dallas (seriously google kenyan drakes mom). He's not somebody I would touch at his current price.
You guys are absolutely right. He didn't just learn an entirely new position as a rookie with no offseason and look so good that they cut a dependable starter while not even showcasing his excellent pass catching ceiling. Hes massively overrated.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Bot101 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 pm
MFundercover wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 pm
You guys are absolutely right. He didn't just learn an entirely new position as a rookie with no offseason and look so good that they cut a dependable starter while not even showcasing his excellent pass catching ceiling. Hes massively overrated.
They act like it was just the Dallas game, he did very well in other games too. Baltimore game was a standout receiving game for him. He also has a nose for the endzone. I was super surprised by his power as well. But i guess balling out on Thanksgiving as a rookie RB is a bad thing.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 pm

There’s only two backs in this class that would constitute major competition, in my opinion, and they’ll both be gone before the Redskins third round pick. This means they’d either have to use a first or second if they want major competition for AG. One would think if they wanted to spend a first or second on an RB they would have traded up for one of the great second rounders last year. Given that they didn’t do that, and AG was a great success, it seems even less likely they’d use a first or second on an RB. They do need to find another body for the position though, so a third or fourth rounder wouldn’t be all that surprising.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:04 am

I own Gibson in multiple leagues.

ZERO interest in selling like most of his owners so if anyone wants him in most leagues they will have to overpay for this future stud.

Acting like you won’t overpay falls on deaf ears given his owners don’t want to sell in the first place.

He has major 3 down upside on an improving team.

The cost of upside is high.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:22 am

I honestly don’t get those who don’t see the upside in Gibson or that WAS will burn anything more than a late pick at RB.

WAS has a lot more needs than aligning another RB with Gibson. They should be looking hard at a QB in the first 2 rounds and then using their other picks at WR, OT, LB and CB at the least with a look at FS also.

I’m not saying Gibson is the next McCaffrey, but they do share a significant amount of similar traits. Some were knocking McCaffrey after his rookie year too, but how many draft picks did CAR burn on RBs in the years after drafting him? Exactly 1 5th rounder total. They saw what they had and Rivera let CMC blossom. I expect him to do the same with Gibson and maybe go after a cheap competent vet RB as depth rather than burn a draft pick given their other needs.

What did Gibson show you in his rookie year that was such a negative that he wouldn’t be a 3 down RB in the coming season and thereafter? We know he can catch and run more than screens and wheel routes - he clearly showed that at Memphis - even though WAS didn’t use him nearly as much as they could have in the passing game. I’m guessing Rivera wanted to bring him along a bit more slowly like he did McCaffrey and have him learn to round out his pro game thoroughly before turning him loose this year.

Don’t underestimate what not having OTAs and then the truncated Training Camp and Preseason affected how players developed, and how HCs used players during the season, as rookies. I warned the same thing in the Taylor thread when some were obsessing over how he just didn’t explode early on in the season.

Gibson was a top 10 RB in FF through week 12 and then got tweaked, and that was with a restricted work load. He wouldn’t need a huge jump in work load to move into the top 5 just with an increase in touches, with some very real upside beyond that sitting there if WAS decides that he can be a regular piece of the passing offense.

If you think he’s hit his optimum I think you’re being extraordinarily short sighted, or being contrarian just for the fun of being different.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:16 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:22 am I honestly don’t get those who don’t see the upside in Gibson or that WAS will burn anything more than a late pick at RB.

WAS has a lot more needs than aligning another RB with Gibson. They should be looking hard at a QB in the first 2 rounds and then using their other picks at WR, OT, LB and CB at the least with a look at FS also.

I’m not saying Gibson is the next McCaffrey, but they do share a significant amount of similar traits. Some were knocking McCaffrey after his rookie year too, but how many draft picks did CAR burn on RBs in the years after drafting him? Exactly 1 5th rounder total. They saw what they had and Rivera let CMC blossom. I expect him to do the same with Gibson and maybe go after a cheap competent vet RB as depth rather than burn a draft pick given their other needs.

What did Gibson show you in his rookie year that was such a negative that he wouldn’t be a 3 down RB in the coming season and thereafter? We know he can catch and run more than screens and wheel routes - he clearly showed that at Memphis - even though WAS didn’t use him nearly as much as they could have in the passing game. I’m guessing Rivera wanted to bring him along a bit more slowly like he did McCaffrey and have him learn to round out his pro game thoroughly before turning him loose this year.

Don’t underestimate what not having OTAs and then the truncated Training Camp and Preseason affected how players developed, and how HCs used players during the season, as rookies. I warned the same thing in the Taylor thread when some were obsessing over how he just didn’t explode early on in the season.

Gibson was a top 10 RB in FF through week 12 and then got tweaked, and that was with a restricted work load. He wouldn’t need a huge jump in work load to move into the top 5 just with an increase in touches, with some very real upside beyond that sitting there if WAS decides that he can be a regular piece of the passing offense.

If you think he’s hit his optimum I think you’re being extraordinarily short sighted, or being contrarian just for the fun of being different.
Or, you know, maybe just a different opinion?
He had 1/3rd of his yards and TDs in the two games vs Dallas. Those were also, unsurprisingly, the 2 games he broke 100 yds rushing. Im not trying to take anything away from that, he put up really good numbers in those ones. But it’s something.
Listen, we can see different things, it’s allowed. You may see a special, bell cow talent that is top 10 dynasty RB worthy. That’s fine, I don’t. I think he benefited from being one of the few adequate weapons on the team. And he scored a bunch of TDs. Maybe that’s sustainable, or maybe TDs can be fluky year to year, you can decide that on your own.
Also, Mckissic only scored 11 pts less in reg PPR, where is all his love at? He’s still on the team too by the way.

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:19 am

sugbear65 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:16 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:22 am I honestly don’t get those who don’t see the upside in Gibson or that WAS will burn anything more than a late pick at RB.

He had 1/3rd of his yards and TDs in the two games vs Dallas. Those were also, unsurprisingly, the 2 games he broke 100 yds rushing. Im not trying to take anything away from that, he put up really good numbers in those ones. But it’s something.
Listen, we can see different things, it’s allowed. You may see a special, bell cow talent that is top 10 dynasty RB worthy. That’s fine, I don’t. I think he benefited from being one of the few adequate weapons on the team. And he scored a bunch of TDs. Maybe that’s sustainable, or maybe TDs can be fluky year to year, you can decide that on your own.
Also, Mckissic only scored 11 pts less in reg PPR, where is all his love at? He’s still on the team too by the way.

THats a good point, age maybe?
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:34 am

sugbear65 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:16 am
Yeah, I get that it’s your opinion. See, I used “I think” and “IMO” to clearly show that I am also stating an opinion and not posting it as fact.

I didn’t even touch on that an improved passing game - which pretty much is a given - is going to do nothing but help Gibson.

My opinion is that you are looking at too many events from last year as being static. IMO that is a mistake, especially given who his HC is and what he has demonstrated his MO is, which your opinion completely excludes.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:08 pm

Nothing wrong with different opinions but I just can’t buy the straw man argument of a 1/3 of his yards came in 2 games.

Sounds about like Taylor or CEH from the percentages

Haven’t checked but that isn’t an argument IMO at all

Many of us have used it but it’s just silly
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts