Antonio Gibson rocket ship

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Sriracha
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Sriracha » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:11 am

FantasyFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 pm
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm
Oh man are you gonna regret that Akers trade.
Why? Akers did nothing much until a late game big gainer when the game was really out of reach. You really have no idea if he will or not.
True that we don't know what's going to happen here..

But I am more optimistic about Akers at this point given that he has the college pedigree, higher draft capital, and is in the better offense.

At this point, I've still got Akers quite a bit ahead of Gibson. Maybe this is an example of me being overly cautious of Gibson's small sample size but it feels reactionary to erase their vastly different college production at this point; especially since we have so little to judge Akers off of.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:44 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 pm
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm
Oh man are you gonna regret that Akers trade.
Why? Akers did nothing much until a late game big gainer when the game was really out of reach. You really have no idea if he will or not. Cool that you think you know, though with such certainty. Seems like this comment was made just to be a d@ck. Kind of comes across that way. He's a Skins fan and traded for a guy on his favourite team. Jury is really out on both players at this point.
i'm just trying to blend in with all the other posters here that act like dicks. it's not easy.

please direct me to where gibson did much in the game. akers was making tough yards through the meat of the team's dline.

and the game was over at the opening kickoff.
There's just nothing to your comment other than an attack at the posters decision, basically. Seems calculated for one reason only. Not going to get into it further, not worth my time.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Role Player
Role Player
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 am

FantasyFreak wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:44 am
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 pm


Why? Akers did nothing much until a late game big gainer when the game was really out of reach. You really have no idea if he will or not. Cool that you think you know, though with such certainty. Seems like this comment was made just to be a d@ck. Kind of comes across that way. He's a Skins fan and traded for a guy on his favourite team. Jury is really out on both players at this point.
i'm just trying to blend in with all the other posters here that act like dicks. it's not easy.

please direct me to where gibson did much in the game. akers was making tough yards through the meat of the team's dline.

and the game was over at the opening kickoff.
There's just nothing to your comment other than an attack at the posters decision, basically. Seems calculated for one reason only. Not going to get into it further, not worth my time.
you see, that's what this board has done to your perception of posts. there are so many posters like that here that it all becomes a blur.

i was in fact not attacking the poster's decision. it's his team and he can do whatever he likes if it makes him like his team better. i was just conveying my thoughts on aker's outlook compared to gibson's. i just don't like typing essays to back up my opinions because in situations like this there is no right or wrong way to go as these players are people and not statistics on a spreadsheet.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:42 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 am
FantasyFreak wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:44 am
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 pm


i'm just trying to blend in with all the other posters here that act like dicks. it's not easy.

please direct me to where gibson did much in the game. akers was making tough yards through the meat of the team's dline.

and the game was over at the opening kickoff.
There's just nothing to your comment other than an attack at the posters decision, basically. Seems calculated for one reason only. Not going to get into it further, not worth my time.
you see, that's what this board has done to your perception of posts. there are so many posters like that here that it all becomes a blur.

i was in fact not attacking the poster's decision. it's his team and he can do whatever he likes if it makes him like his team better. i was just conveying my thoughts on aker's outlook compared to gibson's. i just don't like typing essays to back up my opinions because in situations like this there is no right or wrong way to go as these players are people and not statistics on a spreadsheet.
OK.

Patsfan86
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Patsfan86 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:05 am

Yesterday was obviously an ugly day after his big game last week. I still look at this differently because i was lucky enough to get him at the back half of the second round, so when he puts up 10 ppr points im like "Ok im getting an ok return on someone who i didnt invest heavily in." Many people however have spent a late first or more on him so i understand the frustration from that point of view. People really just need to understand that this season he is gonna be a James White type player, a RB3 and ok flex, towards the back half of this season and next season he can be much more than that and we have seen those flashes. Be patient.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:23 am

Patsfan86 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:05 am
Yesterday was obviously an ugly day after his big game last week. I still look at this differently because i was lucky enough to get him at the back half of the second round, so when he puts up 10 ppr points im like "Ok im getting an ok return on someone who i didnt invest heavily in." Many people however have spent a late first or more on him so i understand the frustration from that point of view. People really just need to understand that this season he is gonna be a James White type player, a RB3 and ok flex, towards the back half of this season and next season he can be much more than that and we have seen those flashes. Be patient.
Yeah, I turned down a late first plus. Not expecting much this year. That receiving floor is fine and want to see what the potential ceiling is. The offense is bad, he needs to get better as a runner, but that receiving ability gives him a decent floor, while they iron things out. I don't think he's a superstar, but he's an explosive playmaker, and has done better and been more involved than I expected, all things considered, so far.

skinfanjon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby skinfanjon » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am

FantasyFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 pm
Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm
Oh man are you gonna regret that Akers trade.
Why? Akers did nothing much until a late game big gainer when the game was really out of reach. You really have no idea if he will or not. Cool that you think you know, though with such certainty. Seems like this comment was made just to be a d@ck. Kind of comes across that way. He's a Skins fan and traded for a guy on his favourite team. Jury is really out on both players at this point.
Being a Skins fan actually lowered my interest in him. I've avoided our players for years. Just like what I see with him and consider him to be more likely to breakout than Akers in that muddled backfield. What I've seen from Gibson has made me sit up and take notice so far.

Jigga94
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 8695
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 am

Gotta be frustrating for Gibson owners seeing JD McKissic get more touches. Doesn't make much sense to me either. Gibson is clearly the better talent
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX - PPR - [b]14 Keepers[/b]
QB: Mahomes, J. Allen, Baker, D. Jones
RB: JT, Mostert (IR), Gaskin (IR), Dillon, Ingram, Mattison, Scott, McKissic
WR: Tyreek, DJM, Jeudy, Hollywood, Cooks, Mims, Hardman, Preston (IR), Parris (IR)
TE: Andrews, Fant, Henry
2021: 1.05-1.10, 2, 3

2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3FLEX - PPR - [b]20 Keepers[/b]
QB: Mahomes, Ryan, Mullens, Luton, Minshew (IR)
RB: Saquon (IR), Jacobs, Dobbins, Hunt, Penny (IR)
WR: AJB, DJM, Chark, Ruggs, Hardman, Mike Will, C. Davis, C. Samuel, Mooney, Lazard, J. Washington
TE: Andrews, Henry, Gesicki, Irv, Tonyan
2021: 1.03-1.06, 2, 2, 3, 3
2022: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby failblazer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:01 am

Patsfan86 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:05 am
Yesterday was obviously an ugly day after his big game last week. I still look at this differently because i was lucky enough to get him at the back half of the second round, so when he puts up 10 ppr points im like "Ok im getting an ok return on someone who i didnt invest heavily in." Many people however have spent a late first or more on him so i understand the frustration from that point of view. People really just need to understand that this season he is gonna be a James White type player, a RB3 and ok flex, towards the back half of this season and next season he can be much more than that and we have seen those flashes. Be patient.
I like this as a viewpoint and I view him much the same. I got him 3.01 in a 16 teamer and am delighted with the value. If I get top 20-25 production from him (he's currently RB23 in that league) then I am delighted for what I invested. As you say, if I had paid a premium for him then perhaps I would feel differently.

I do worry about the offseason for him though, I must say. I know they are trying to bring him along slowly and not put too much on his plate at once (which I think explains somewhat why McKissic is getting some run) but I don't know that he will ever profile as a three down back. I could see the Football Team bringing in an early down back in the offseason. If I can get a 1st for him I'd be very tempted to bank that profit.
16 Team PPR (9th Year Dynasty - 1 Time Champion)
C. Wentz, D. Jones
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Robinson, A. Peterson, T. CohenIR
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, C. Ridley, R. Woods, D. Johnson, A. Brown (TB), D. Mims, C. SuttonIR
D. Waller, M. Gesicki, D. Njoku, C. Kmet

C. Young, R. Okwara, S. HubbardIR
D. Leonard, F. Oluokun, D. Greenlaw, M. Kiser, B. Okereke, C. MoselyOPT, N. GerryIR
J. Simmons, J. Jones(JAX)

16 Team PPR (8th Year Dynasty - Reigning 3 Time Champion)
T. Brady, R. Fitzpatrick, J. Luton
C. MacCaffrey, E. Elliott, D. Henry
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, A. Brown (TB), M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Isabella, N. Harry, J. Ross, J. GordonSUS
T. Burton, R. Dwelley, J. Sternberger, O. HowardIR, Z. ErtzIR

D. Lawrence, J. Simmons, K. Chiasson, A. Epenesa, J. CaseyIR
R. Smith, Z. Cunningham, B. Okereke, T. Adams, M. Kiser, T. Edwards, L.Wilson, C. MoselyOPT
J. Johnson, J. Simmons, J. Okudah, B. McDougaldIR

Patsfan86
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 am

failblazer wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:01 am
Patsfan86 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:05 am
Yesterday was obviously an ugly day after his big game last week. I still look at this differently because i was lucky enough to get him at the back half of the second round, so when he puts up 10 ppr points im like "Ok im getting an ok return on someone who i didnt invest heavily in." Many people however have spent a late first or more on him so i understand the frustration from that point of view. People really just need to understand that this season he is gonna be a James White type player, a RB3 and ok flex, towards the back half of this season and next season he can be much more than that and we have seen those flashes. Be patient.
I like this as a viewpoint and I view him much the same. I got him 3.01 in a 16 teamer and am delighted with the value. If I get top 20-25 production from him (he's currently RB23 in that league) then I am delighted for what I invested. As you say, if I had paid a premium for him then perhaps I would feel differently.

I do worry about the offseason for him though, I must say. I know they are trying to bring him along slowly and not put too much on his plate at once (which I think explains somewhat why McKissic is getting some run) but I don't know that he will ever profile as a three down back. I could see the Football Team bringing in an early down back in the offseason. If I can get a 1st for him I'd be very tempted to bank that profit.
I agree, i dont see him being a 3 down back either. I see him being a complimentary piece with receiving upside, so that will make for some voliatile games but i could be wrong. It is concerning that Mckissiic is getting thrown too so much when Gibson is the better reciever. We also need to remember that Gibson is EXTREMELY raw in general and especially as a RB. The fantasy community put a lot of stock into him because of his upside and im seeing the frustration all over. Patience will be the key with him. But again some people have drafted him in the late first and possibly passed up on guys like Higgins or Claypool for him and are right now very very angry. Understandably. With all of this said RBs are extremely hard to come by in leagues so im still pretty happy with his production and hopefully he becomes a consistent player.

skinfanjon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby skinfanjon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am

Its really not a complicated offense for running backs to understand, so this whole "he's raw" thing is overblown IMO.

Hes losing touches to McKissick because his blocking needs to get better and also because the former has been pretty solid. Hopefully at some point he'll take on a bigger role but, even if he doesn't, he has weekly RB2 upside.

He pops on tape, both in the run and pass game. He's good in redzone and can find the end zone. He has the size and all the traits needed to blossom into a real contributer- just needs some time. The real key will be what happens with the rest of the offensive personnel in the offseason. I don't see the Skins replacing him with so many holes to plug, so if the rest of the offense improves, especially at QB, he could ascend to top 10-15 status as soon as next season. That is what you are buying right now. It may never fully pan out but there's just not a lot of young, talented RBs out there with the opportunity that he has that can be had as cheaply.

I think hes a strong buy right now, especially with a couple so so weeks when lots of people were predicting a breakout.

failblazer
All Pro
All Pro
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby failblazer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:42 am

skinfanjon wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am
Its really not a complicated offense for running backs to understand, so this whole "he's raw" thing is overblown IMO.

Hes losing touches to McKissick because his blocking needs to get better and also because the former has been pretty solid. Hopefully at some point he'll take on a bigger role but, even if he doesn't, he has weekly RB2 upside.

He pops on tape, both in the run and pass game. He's good in redzone and can find the end zone. He has the size and all the traits needed to blossom into a real contributer- just needs some time. The real key will be what happens with the rest of the offensive personnel in the offseason. I don't see the Skins replacing him with so many holes to plug, so if the rest of the offense improves, especially at QB, he could ascend to top 10-15 status as soon as next season. That is what you are buying right now. It may never fully pan out but there's just not a lot of young, talented RBs out there with the opportunity that he has that can be had as cheaply.

I think hes a strong buy right now, especially with a couple so so weeks when lots of people were predicting a breakout.
What would you consider a good buying price right now? A 2nd?
16 Team PPR (9th Year Dynasty - 1 Time Champion)
C. Wentz, D. Jones
C. McCaffrey, D. Henry, J. Robinson, A. Peterson, T. CohenIR
D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, C. Kupp, C. Ridley, R. Woods, D. Johnson, A. Brown (TB), D. Mims, C. SuttonIR
D. Waller, M. Gesicki, D. Njoku, C. Kmet

C. Young, R. Okwara, S. HubbardIR
D. Leonard, F. Oluokun, D. Greenlaw, M. Kiser, B. Okereke, C. MoselyOPT, N. GerryIR
J. Simmons, J. Jones(JAX)

16 Team PPR (8th Year Dynasty - Reigning 3 Time Champion)
T. Brady, R. Fitzpatrick, J. Luton
C. MacCaffrey, E. Elliott, D. Henry
D. Hopkins, D. Adams, C. Kupp, M. Jones, A. Brown (TB), M. Valdes-Scantling, A. Isabella, N. Harry, J. Ross, J. GordonSUS
T. Burton, R. Dwelley, J. Sternberger, O. HowardIR, Z. ErtzIR

D. Lawrence, J. Simmons, K. Chiasson, A. Epenesa, J. CaseyIR
R. Smith, Z. Cunningham, B. Okereke, T. Adams, M. Kiser, T. Edwards, L.Wilson, C. MoselyOPT
J. Johnson, J. Simmons, J. Okudah, B. McDougaldIR

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 am

Jigga94 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 am
Gotta be frustrating for Gibson owners seeing JD McKissic get more touches. Doesn't make much sense to me either. Gibson is clearly the better talent
People say this stuff all the time, but there is always a reason for it. McKissic is on the field for a reason. Gibson may be the "better talent", but McKissic did more with his touches last week. I now have Gibson in multiple leagues, as I just got him in another trade, but this is par for the course. It's what I expected from him. He doesn't look great as a runner. He looks like a good passing down back, but the Football Team will almost certainly bring in early down competition next year. Gibson does not look like a lead back to me, but rather a committee back, who can be split out wide etc. A bigger, more explosive version of James White, for instance. He could still get GL work, which obviously White doesn't get, but at this point, Gibson is just not a runner who should command lead back touches. Hopefully he can go off against the Cowboys, as everyone else does, but I don't think he's ever going to be 300 plus touch player, and that's fine. As long as he's getting 4 to 5 catches a game, I'm happy.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:17 am

Patsfan86 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:11 am
failblazer wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:01 am
Patsfan86 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:05 am
Yesterday was obviously an ugly day after his big game last week. I still look at this differently because i was lucky enough to get him at the back half of the second round, so when he puts up 10 ppr points im like "Ok im getting an ok return on someone who i didnt invest heavily in." Many people however have spent a late first or more on him so i understand the frustration from that point of view. People really just need to understand that this season he is gonna be a James White type player, a RB3 and ok flex, towards the back half of this season and next season he can be much more than that and we have seen those flashes. Be patient.
I like this as a viewpoint and I view him much the same. I got him 3.01 in a 16 teamer and am delighted with the value. If I get top 20-25 production from him (he's currently RB23 in that league) then I am delighted for what I invested. As you say, if I had paid a premium for him then perhaps I would feel differently.

I do worry about the offseason for him though, I must say. I know they are trying to bring him along slowly and not put too much on his plate at once (which I think explains somewhat why McKissic is getting some run) but I don't know that he will ever profile as a three down back. I could see the Football Team bringing in an early down back in the offseason. If I can get a 1st for him I'd be very tempted to bank that profit.
I agree, i dont see him being a 3 down back either. I see him being a complimentary piece with receiving upside, so that will make for some voliatile games but i could be wrong. It is concerning that Mckissiic is getting thrown too so much when Gibson is the better reciever. We also need to remember that Gibson is EXTREMELY raw in general and especially as a RB. The fantasy community put a lot of stock into him because of his upside and im seeing the frustration all over. Patience will be the key with him. But again some people have drafted him in the late first and possibly passed up on guys like Higgins or Claypool for him and are right now very very angry. Understandably. With all of this said RBs are extremely hard to come by in leagues so im still pretty happy with his production and hopefully he becomes a consistent player.
I turned down a late first plus in a SF/TE premium. Receiving floor is there. He's not a lead back, but 4 to 5 catches every week, with the ability to have big plays is worth holding for me. As I said in my previous post, I expect another early down back to be added next year, but hopefully Gibson can hold him off for GL duties. Regardless, Gibson can be split out wide even with another RB behind the QB. He's a solid looking RB2/Flex, and I honestly don't like next years class much beyond the the top of the draft. Gibson is still a rookie, so he's bound to be inconsistent.

User avatar
JFever
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6523
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:19 pm

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby JFever » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:38 am

Kurt G.O.A.T. wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm
Oh man are you gonna regret that Akers trade.
Why? :think: You know something everyone else doesn't? Please share.

As far as forum post tone and the negative vibes that appear occationally. I agree with you that it is less than ideal. Simply put, if your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Personally, I think Akers is a flop. I realize that its early and things may change. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to admit it. However, at this point, I would much rather own the upside of the project that is Gibson. Others may feel differently, and thats ok. From all that I have seen up to this point, I have a strong feeling that I will never regret not drafting Akers.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nath1897 and 5 guests