FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:15 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:53 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:45 am

That’s an interesting take. All players get dinged up to one extent or another. Is there a reason you’d think his efficiency would drop significantly if he were to be dinged up a bit? He looks like he has the physique to sustain some workload. I don’t know a thing about his tolerance.
Well, I just find it hard to believe a player that has never played the position can walk into the NFL and become what few who play the position in college can. I think it's very far fetched that he's an NFL work horse type player. He has done very well as a limited touch player, showing extreme efficiency and production as that. Obviously I'd like to see him get more than he did at Memphis, but I think it's more than just physique. So many players talk about getting hit is something that takes getting used to, and you build a callus, if you will. Not sure how he would handle it, but regardless of that, there is so much that goes into the position in order to command and deserve, and be able to handle a massive workload. He doesn't have the position down nearly well enough to be in that category, and I think it would take years to get to that point, if he ever does. RB, as I'm sure you know, isn't just, "here's the ball, run with it". I'd like to see him get touches that get him into space more than between the tackles, screens, etc.

I'd prefer him to excel in the passing game, catching 60-80 passes, and maybe getting 120-140 carries, once he's up to speed. This would probably be next years outlook, not this year, for me. I just feel that's the best outlook for his skill set. Learning RB in the pros is going to be a difficult task, and it's just not reasonable to think they are going to allow him to take his lumps at the expense of the team while he does it. I think a solid PPR RB 2 is what I'd expect from Gibson, and if he can get into the top half of that, I'd be very happy.
You keep alluding to his never having played RB, but I’ve found several clips of him lining up in the Memphis backfield, including interviews where he discusses his read on the D linemen as he approaches the first level. Numerous scouting reports also support that. That also means he got work in practice as a traditional RB. This is not completely new to him, and I thought it showed last week. Where did you get information that he’s never lined up as a traditional RB before?
Lining up in the backfield isn't the same as playing the position. Look, it's a long shot he's ever a bell cow back, most RB's aren't. That's all. He was a slot receiver who occasionally lined up in the backfield. He ran purely power, and only a few concepts. I think people expecting him to be a 300 plus touch player are going to be disappointed. I'm just being realistic with my expectations.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:08 pm

First career TD! Fantastic blocking, really did the job. He's a nice little player, but this offense sucks. Temper expectations.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:33 pm

He's making guys miss when he has any room and falling forward when he doesn't. The offense is still turrible.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:33 pm He's making guys miss when he has any room and falling forward when he doesn't. The offense is still turrible.
Be prepared for more of the same. 12-15 touches. Bad offense. Still like the talent, but beyond this year, they will probably add better competition to the backfield than what they have. I hope he become the COP back and 3rd down back to a better early down back.....and they get rid of Haskins. He sucks.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:15 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:57 pm
Krypto_King wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:33 pm He's making guys miss when he has any room and falling forward when he doesn't. The offense is still turrible.
Be prepared for more of the same. 12-15 touches. Bad offense. Still like the talent, but beyond this year, they will probably add better competition to the backfield than what they have. I hope he become the COP back and 3rd down back to a better early down back.....and they get rid of Haskins. He sucks.
really hoping he becomes a stud on pass pro and gains those 4 minute offense reps. RPO with Justin Fields :dance:

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 pm

What’s the value gap between Gibson and Z.Moss?

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:43 pm

Sony Michel

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Brinmonkey wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:43 pm Sony Michel
Im not trading my Gibson share for Moss and Michel. Get that outta here.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 pm What’s the value gap between Gibson and Z.Moss?
More. I at least see the upside with Gibson. I know I can't see practice, but I just don't see the moss love.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:45 am

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:48 am

Ray Finkle wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 pm What’s the value gap between Gibson and Z.Moss?
Maybe a 2nd? Can't imagine anything big unless Gibson has a blow-up game. Right now one player simply has more fans than the other.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:48 am

It was a nice run, better than his TD. That was really well blocked. I went back and watched the game. Felt he missed some reads on a few other runs. Still looks raw, but looks OK. My biggest concern is how bad Haskins is. That offense has no chance at supporting a RB you feel confident starting the entire year, IMO. McKissic looked good, on top of it. Hopefully Barber is relegated to the bench, so it's down to just the 2 backs. Really hope they tank and get Fields, which would be far better for a guy like Gibson, with that read option ability.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:27 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:48 am
It was a nice run, better than his TD. That was really well blocked. I went back and watched the game. Felt he missed some reads on a few other runs. Still looks raw, but looks OK. My biggest concern is how bad Haskins is. That offense has no chance at supporting a RB you feel confident starting the entire year, IMO. McKissic looked good, on top of it. Hopefully Barber is relegated to the bench, so it's down to just the 2 backs. Really hope they tank and get Fields, which would be far better for a guy like Gibson, with that read option ability.
I think we just have to give Gibson his due at this point.

Low volume in college or not, he led the WFT with a 60~% snap share in his 2nd game in the NFL. They want him to be the guy, they're giving him every opportunity to seize the job and he's not faceplanting.

No idea where he ends up long term, but he should be valued at as a starter at this point in time.

Now.. how valuable is the starter for one of the worst offenses in the NFL? That's debateable. :D :lol:

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:48 am
Maybe a 2nd? Can't imagine anything big unless Gibson has a blow-up game. Right now one player simply has more fans than the other.
One of them is a plodder with a 45% snap share on an ascending offense.

The other is a highly athletic lead back (65%) on one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Moss could definitely seize more of the snap share as the season progresses, but I feel like you're glossing over the massive difference in workload at this point.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Sony Michel