Antonio Gibson Rocket Ship - Round 2

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Vick2Crumpler87
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Antonio Gibson rocket ship

Postby Vick2Crumpler87 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:58 pm

Redskins probably use heavy doses of AP, Love and Barber. I'm not seeing Gibson as a high volume guy.
12 Team SF PPR - 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1SFLEX-1K-1DB-1DL-1LB (TE 1.5 ppr)
2018 Runner up, 2019 champion 2020 champion

QB - Matty Ice, K. Cousins, G. Minshew, J. Love
RB - D. Cook, J. Mixon, J. Taylor, JK Dobbins, J. Robinson, AJ Dillon, D. Freeman, Shady, R. Penny, J. White
WR - Julio, Nuk, JuJu, C. Ridley, Tyrell, KJ Hamler, K. Cole, J. Meyers, C. Johnson, V. Jefferson
TE - Z Ertz, T. Higbee, B. Jarwin, L. Thomas
K - T. Bass
DB - J. Chinn
DL - Chandler Jones, H. Reddick
LB - D. Leonard

10 Team PPR - 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-2RB/WR/TE-1K-1DST
2018 Runner up, 2019 3rd place, 2020 Runner up

QB - Matty Ice, Big Ben, Jalen Hurts, Jordan Love
RB - D. Cook, J. Mixon, J. Taylor, M. Gordon, AJ Dillon, D. Freeman, Shady, R. Penny, J. Williams
WR - Julio, Nuk, C. Ridley, AJ Brown, A. Cooper, JuJu, TY Hilton, N. Harry, KJ Hamler, S. Miller, D. Peoples-Jones, V. Jefferson
TE - D. Waller, Z. Ertz, B. Jarwin
K - R. Blankenship
DST - Bucs

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:59 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:49 pm If you wanna take him as RB6 I think thats fair, but Ive been saying it for a while now that going rb over wr in the late first/early 2nd is a mistake which is my issue with bumping him to 1.8 or so. I cant justify taking him over Jefferson, reagor, ruggs at all and most likely not for higgins, mims, aiyuk etc
100%

WR talent at that point of the draft is too good to pass up for Hail Mary upside plays.

Of course, I might think differently if I weren't so high on Bryce Love.

ManuManu
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ManuManu » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Mjvb5 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:49 pm If you wanna take him as RB6 I think thats fair, but Ive been saying it for a while now that going rb over wr in the late first/early 2nd is a mistake which is my issue with bumping him to 1.8 or so. I cant justify taking him over Jefferson, reagor, ruggs at all and most likely not for higgins, mims, aiyuk etc
I pick 1.9 and while I’m contemplating him there, I don’t think I have the guts to take him over Reagor, Jefferson or Ruggs. The prospect of getting a running back with Gibson’s pass catching upside might be enough to push him ahead of Higgins and Aiyuk, although I really like Aiyuk.

I think anywhere from pick 11 on is fair game for a potential three-down starting RB with minimal competition. My concern, however, is that the 2021 FA class is so good that teams with unproven RBs are gonna find good deals for FA RBs. It makes me not want to invest in tier 3 rookie RBs like Gibson, Dillon and Moss.
Team 1, 10-team 0.5-PPR
QB (1): Richardson, Watson, Purdy
RB (2-3): Walker, Swift, Dobbins, R. White, Mitchell, Gainwell
WR (3-4): Hill, Godwin, Aiyuk, Flowers, N. Collins, Doubs, M. Wilson, Shakir
TE (1-2): McBride, Goedert, Okonkwo

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:31 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:04 pm Why 1.08? He's not a high-end talent, Washington's situation isn't appealing, and he has an extremely low volume rushing sample in college.
I'd argue that he is actually very talented, but the rest of what you said is spot on. If he is worth a first rounder now then owners should be cashing out immediately.

His realistic ceiling looks like Percy Harvin/Tarik Cohen. If he maintains RB eligibility for fantasy and hits Percy Harvin's best season then he would be worth a first round pick. However the floor is Cordarelle Patterson/Tavon Austin and I would argue that he ends up being closer to those 2 than his ceiling.
He's definitely talented, I just don't think he's a "high end" talent. Maybe people are hoping for a Kamara anomaly, but he smells like a huge reach if you're considering him at 1.08.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:31 pm

It’s him vs that chunk of WRs after Raeger ish
You like drafting RB over WR then it’s fair

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:31 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:04 pm Why 1.08? He's not a high-end talent, Washington's situation isn't appealing, and he has an extremely low volume rushing sample in college.
I'd argue that he is actually very talented, but the rest of what you said is spot on. If he is worth a first rounder now then owners should be cashing out immediately.

His realistic ceiling looks like Percy Harvin/Tarik Cohen. If he maintains RB eligibility for fantasy and hits Percy Harvin's best season then he would be worth a first round pick. However the floor is Cordarelle Patterson/Tavon Austin and I would argue that he ends up being closer to those 2 than his ceiling.
He's definitely talented, I just don't think he's a "high end" talent. Maybe people are hoping for a Kamara anomaly, but he smells like a huge reach if you're considering him at 1.08.
Agreed.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:20 pm

There is a big difference between being 230lbs and actually playing the RB position in fantasy but ok I will humor you guys.
let's give Gibson CPat's 1st 4 seasons of receiving production in the league. then I will add a modest 150 carries, 600 yards and 4 td rushing and that all comes out to RB19, RB28, RB54, and an RB21 season. This is his floor.

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm This now feels like the Henderson thread from last year.
sure, if it was the Panthers that had drafted him at the 3.02 with their 2nd pick of the draft.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:30 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:20 pm
There is a big difference between being 230lbs and actually playing the RB position in fantasy but ok I will humor you guys.
let's give Gibson CPat's 1st 4 seasons of receiving production in the league. then I will add a modest 150 carries, 600 yards and 4 td rushing and that all comes out to RB19, RB28, RB54, and an RB21 season. This is his floor.

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm This now feels like the Henderson thread from last year.
sure, if it was the Panthers that had drafted him at the 3.02 with their 2nd pick of the draft.
I more meant that a guy is being pushed up way too high due to a perceived good situation.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:45 pm

Gibson and his use on the field remind me of when Jacksonville drafted Matt Jones in the first round. Very high risk, but the reward may be high too. I don't see it though.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:20 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:45 pm Gibson and his use on the field remind me of when Jacksonville drafted Matt Jones in the first round. Very high risk, but the reward may be high too. I don't see it though.
OMG I forgot all about this guy I bought into the hype and drafted him 1.04 that year and got burned like everyone that drafted him. One of my few misses in drafting in the first round in 31 years of dynasty/keeper leagues but it still pisses me off 15 years later!
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, G Wilson
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:12 am

I'm not sure you can project him at a "modest 150 carries" a season when that would be 5 times the amount of carries he got in college. If I was confident he would get that many carries every year he would easily be a first rounder.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:30 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:12 am

I'm not sure you can project him at a "modest 150 carries" a season when that would be 5 times the amount of carries he got in college. If I was confident he would get that many carries every year he would easily be a first rounder.
Yeah, he did say he was humouring them, but a mid RB2 2 out of his first 4 seasons is definitely not his floor. Gibson is an outlier. He may succeed, but the odds are not with him, especially if we think a lot of his production is going to come on carries. The NFL is a much tougher, faster game, and he's not a really a RB.

BTW. 17 of his 33 carries, and 205 of his 369 rushing yards, and 2 of his 4 rushing TD's last year came in 2 games vs Cincinnati. They aren't exactly a defensive powerhouse, and I just think if people are taking this guy in the first now, with all these really good WR prospects with much better profiles, they are going to be disappointed.

Kurt G.O.A.T.
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Kurt G.O.A.T. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:03 am

I couldn't get this guy anywhere. He just went too early for a guy that had no clear position.

Too many better players in the 2nd round to risk it on maybe the next C Patterson. There's no way i would take him before Dillon.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:38 am

Finfansteve wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:20 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:45 pm Gibson and his use on the field remind me of when Jacksonville drafted Matt Jones in the first round. Very high risk, but the reward may be high too. I don't see it though.
OMG I forgot all about this guy I bought into the hype and drafted him 1.04 that year and got burned like everyone that drafted him. One of my few misses in drafting in the first round in 31 years of dynasty/keeper leagues but it still pisses me off 15 years later!
I was surprised he didn’t get another chance after the coke suspension. He finally seemed to be putting it together before that hit.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:52 am

Finfansteve wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:20 pm
Funny that it still stings. Dude was a freak, just could never pull it all together.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.