What do you guys look for in a podcast?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
The Fantasy Feud
MVP
MVP

What do you guys look for in a podcast?

Postby The Fantasy Feud » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Hey Guys,

Some of you may remember my post about starting our brand new podast. Things have went really well so far! We want to continue to get better, grow, and adapt to what the people want. This forum is full of guys who will tell the honest truth so that is why I am interested in everyones opinions. This isnt a post to promote the podcast, but to get some answers from the masses.

1. Is it to early to begin posting redraft content?

2. How many shows a week would you prefer?

3. Do you like a laid back casual show or a highly analytical and stats based show that gets straight to the point?

4. Last but not least... if you were me what would you do to get people to listen without making it feel like all you are doing is promoting?

When I started dynasty this forum is what got me through my beginning stages and I would really love some advice from some of the guys who are like I was, just starting out, and the guys who were teaching me the ways.

Thank you everyone!
Hosts of The Fantasy Feud - Fantasy Football Podcast

https://linktr.ee/thefantasyfeud

QB Browns
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What do you guys look for in a podcast?

Postby QB Browns » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:04 am

1. I think it's fine to start discussing redraft content. A lot happens over the off-season that we forget about between redraft seasons.

2. This should be driven by your content. Don't push yourself to finish five shows a week if it dilutes the quality of your work. I have football podcasts I listen to that are 5 days a week and others that are once every couple weeks. I love both because they offer high quality content.

3. This may not be a helpful answer, but I think it's kind of up to you and what you feel you do best. Both formats will attract fans, so choose what you feel fits best with your skill set. I think a blend of the two is probably ideal for me.

4. Not sure about this one. If you specifically want to involve the dynasty forum community maybe you could try to elicit questions or debates from the forum that require more time and research than most other people are willing to put in and then share your episodes as a form of in depth research on a topic already posted? That way it isn't just endless promotion, but more of a "you asked this question so I really dug into it and here's what I found" type of thing?

Best of luck to you!
Team 1

10 team, 2 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1WR/TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, DEF, .5 ppr

QB: D. Prescott, K. Cousins, A. Richardson, R. Tannehill, T. Lance

RB: A. Kamara, S. Barkley, Bi. Robinson, J. Conner, J. Dobbins, A. Dillon, D. Harris, R. Stephenson, K. Herbert, I. Spiller, Br. Robinson, K. Ingram, T. Spears, D. Foreman

WR: M. Evans, D. Adams, AJ Brown, C. Lamb, J. Waddle, K. Toney, J. Reed

TE: D. Waller, P. Friermuth, D. Kincaid

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 am

I'd like to maybe tell you what turns me off of podcasts.

1. People talking at length about non football related issues.- I understand the idea of developing a rapport with your listener, but don't overdo it. I will turn a podcast if they haven't got into the football content after a minute or two. I have my own friends, I don't need to listen to guys banter about anything and everything for 15 minutes. That's not why I am tuning in.

2. Too many people talking at the same time.-If you are a podcast with more than 1 person....I can't stress this enough. Let each other speak. Take turns. I can't listen to a pod where 2 or more people are talking over each other at the same time. It's confusing, irritating, and shows a lack of professionalism/refinement needed for a good listen.

3. Don't beat a dead horse with cheesy sound effects.-Some people have tried to mimic the likes of the Fantasy Footballers and Matt Kelley with these. When done well, as the above do, it's great. When done poorly, like overtop of actual conversation, as opposed to being put into a space in the conversation, it's terrible. It's gimmicky, and if it works, it's great, if it doesn't it just sounds like you are reaching too much.

4. Audio quality- Poor audio quality is a big put off for me. As someone who is well versed in the audio field, it's the number one sign that this isn't going to be worth the listen, right off the bat. If you can't have good audio in an audio only realm, then why should I think you have anything important to say if you can't get the foundation of the medium down? Have a good mic/pre amp/sound card, make sure you have a compressor/limiter and EQ or plug ins of such devices, and editing software. Learn how to use them, or find someone who does to help you with the basics. It will make a world of difference.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:29 pm

I will never listen to a podcast with poor sound quality. If you have guests that sounds like you're recording a Motorola razor's speaker phone with another Motorola razor like news stations and other radio shows I will turn the podcast off immediately

1) depends on how you market the podcast. Is it dynasty, redraft, or FF in general? It's your show, do what you want, but let the people know

2) do what you like and people will listen to how many a week they want to. Doubt enough will happen for you to have more than 2 quality shows a week.

3) it's your show, be you.

4) be consistent in your posting intervals, be interesting/have fun, post highlight clips to social media and abuse hashtags
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:49 pm

giants wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:21 pm 3. Do you like a laid back casual show or a highly analytical and stats based show that gets straight to the point?
I just want to give a massive +1 to Fantasy Freak's calls above. Hosts talking over each other is a massive no-no, poor audio quality will lead to me unsubscribing or not listening as much (the DLF Dynasty podcast and family of podcasts all suffer from this) and being able to tow the line with a soundboard works for some (Fantasy Footballers) but completely sinks other shows (I'm looking at you, Adam Aizer). If you're going to try and be funny... then you better... actually... be funny. Try your best to be self-aware about this.

I'd also add that having a truly awful theme song will be an eventual turn off if you're not enjoying the show, though I've since learnt to love (very ironically) the chillwave beat stylings of the Rotoworld pod and the EDM absurdity that is the Late Round Podcast. If you subscribe, you're going to hear it a lot. Get a good song, and make sure it's in-and-out in 10 seconds. Extra points? Don't repeat it at the end of the pod. If I've fallen asleep listening to your pod (it happens) don't wake me up again at the end :lol:

To the question above: be self aware about what your strengths are. I just checked, and I subscribe to no less than 7 fantasy podcasts, and have active links for 3-5 more that I will check in on from time to time (especially if the guest is good). Of those main 7, there's really only one that I tolerate for being more casual (the Fantasy Footballers) -because- they are legitimately charming humans with great rapport and good gags. They are the unicorns.

On the complete other end of the spectrum - I have immense respect for the Late Round Podcast with JJ Zachariason. This dude gets it DONE, and never goes past the 20 minute mark. His episodes pack as much information and statistics (usually more) than a Fantasy Footballers episode that is 3x as long. He gets in, he drops knowledge, he gets out. Obviously, with a show as dense as that you can find yourself "glazing over" - of all the ways to take in information, audio is one of the least efficient (that's why you take notes in class). The point being, there is an art to not overstaying your welcome.

On that note of length of pod, as it relates to frequency of updates - I think it's better to be more nimble, and do more shows a week that are shorter. Is it more effort? Yes. But is it better in the long run, especially with a sport as volatile with day-to-day updates as Football? Undoubtably.

That got long. I listen to a lot of NFL pods. I have opinions. Hopefully they helped.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:30 pm

mild wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:49 pm
giants wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:21 pm 3. Do you like a laid back casual show or a highly analytical and stats based show that gets straight to the point?
I just want to give a massive +1 to Fantasy Freak's calls above. +2, I agree with his post also!

Don't repeat it at the end of the pod. If I've fallen asleep listening to your pod (it happens) don't wake me up again at the end :lol:

OMG, yes .. cannot stand this! Almost instant delete if things wake me up .. :!: Terrible recorded playback songs for intro also I cannot stand .. loud blaring intros ..

Yes, any 5 to 20 min diatribe of current events, I'm like c'mon ... after listening to 40 to 60 podcasts a week, to hear 5 to 20 mins from everybody about some current topic is not what I am subscribing for ... If you want to make a segment that is touching on something fine, but your opinion, no thanks, gets old very fast .. also goes with breaking news on a situation that isn't a unique perspective .. ie, all 40 to 60 pods have to speak about Cam Newton going to the Pats ...
@PlankMelody

The Fantasy Feud
MVP
MVP

Postby The Fantasy Feud » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am

Thank you everyone for the great insight! Every bit of advice from the people who will hopefully one day be regular listeners is what’s gonna help us be on the right track. Appreciate it!

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am

Audio quality is a must for everybody, but I think past that, you do you. I listen to podcasts as much for entertainment as content, others don't. If you try to deliver a format to meet others desires, you will lose the authenticity of you.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm

giants wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am Thank you everyone for the great insight! Every bit of advice from the people who will hopefully one day be regular listeners is what’s gonna help us be on the right track. Appreciate it!
Have you already done some episodes? I'd love to check it out if you have. Cant promise I will stick around because that is just not the medium that I like to take in my FF thoughts and news, but happy to give you a shot :)
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

The Fantasy Feud
MVP
MVP

Postby The Fantasy Feud » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:31 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:37 pm
giants wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am Thank you everyone for the great insight! Every bit of advice from the people who will hopefully one day be regular listeners is what’s gonna help us be on the right track. Appreciate it!
Have you already done some episodes? I'd love to check it out if you have. Cant promise I will stick around because that is just not the medium that I like to take in my FF thoughts and news, but happy to give you a shot :)
Im glad you asked! I didnt link it cause I promised this was not a promotion :lol: but here is the link! Were 6 epsiodes in, obiously still figuring what works and doesnt work but would love the feedback either way!

Thanks!