Joey Bosa becomes highest paid Defender

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Joey Bosa becomes highest paid Defender

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:28 pm

So the Chargers are making a very good player the highest paid defender in the league by about 2 million a year, with a cap that should be decreasing over the next few years. Curious how others view this, but to me this seems like a lot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... extension/
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Joey Bosa becomes highest paid Defender

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:20 pm

Big overpay lol

Chargers are so fu**ed for the future (and present really)

First tied to Trashbert and then this contract

Reminds me of the Bears going all in with Trubisky by getting Mack and effing their cap

Except the Bears were a far superior team to the Chargers and Trubs at least showed some flashes in 2018 unlike that bum Herbert
Last edited by StripesOfKC on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Just how business goes in the NFL, next marquee guy up gets the big deal. The cap going down doesn't matter for the high end guys, it's the middle and lower end of the roster that will get the squeeze financially. Good deal for the Chargers locking up one of the top 5 edge rushers in the league (who only just turned 25) for the longterm.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:28 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:20 pm Big overpay lol

Reminds me of the Bears going all in with Trubisky by getting Mack and effing their cap

Except the Bears were a far superior team to the Chargers and Trubs at least showed some flashes in 2018 unlike that bum Herbert
It's not a whole lot more than what your Chiefs gave to Frank Clark, and Bosa is far better and younger than him. That deal also didn't stop the Chiefs paying Mahomes and Chris Jones, or keep them from winning the SB. Bosa is one of the elite players in the league, and plays a premium position, of course he got a big deal and it was the right move for LAC.

Drafting Herbert is a different story....

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:29 pm

The *Chargers* actually paid one of their best players? More than anyone else like him is making?

Who is this team and where are the decades of stinginess we've come to expect? I'm floored. Same old Chargers? No? What?!

Ironically, same Chargers franchise that signed Joey Bosa late to camp his rookie year - I remember all the media coverage well.

Now that they've joined the rest of the non-Bengals and actually pay players now, maybe they can win... something. Better ridiculously late than never?

At least they're not starting over at QB... :roll:
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:44 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 pm Just how business goes in the NFL, next marquee guy up gets the big deal. The cap going down doesn't matter for the high end guys, it's the middle and lower end of the roster that will get the squeeze financially. Good deal for the Chargers locking up one of the top 5 edge rushers in the league (who only just turned 25) for the longterm.
I wouldn't say it's a good deal. A good deal would have not making him the most expensive player in the league on Defense by 2 million dollars. It's good that they locked him up, but they paid through the nose for him.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:52 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:28 pm

It's not a whole lot more than what your Chiefs gave to Frank Clark, and Bosa is far better and younger than him. That deal also didn't stop the Chiefs paying Mahomes and Chris Jones, or keep them from winning the SB. Bosa is one of the elite players in the league, and plays a premium position, of course he got a big deal and it was the right move for LAC.

I meant more bad for the Chargers circumstances

Derwin will be another extension next year, and I just don't think giving massive contracts to defensive players is how you build a winner (as opposed to maintaining a championship team with 20+ starters returning)

You say drafting Herbert is another story but I say it's all connected

Would it be fair to say the Mack trade would have been great for a team with a legit franchise QB?
I think it is

For the Bears as is though

I guess the Chargers didn't have any other good choice but going for contention with Tyrod and Herbert at the helm is a fool's errand

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:44 pm
bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:22 pm Just how business goes in the NFL, next marquee guy up gets the big deal. The cap going down doesn't matter for the high end guys, it's the middle and lower end of the roster that will get the squeeze financially. Good deal for the Chargers locking up one of the top 5 edge rushers in the league (who only just turned 25) for the longterm.
I wouldn't say it's a good deal. A good deal would have not making him the most expensive player in the league on Defense by 2 million dollars. It's good that they locked him up, but they paid through the nose for him.
And not too far in the future he probably won't even be in the top 5 or 10 highest paid defensive players. That's just how the contracts go, for the last 20 years or so news will break about some guy getting a massive deal that everyone thinks is too much, and then someone else gets more and we forget about the first guy. Then by time we get to the second half of the contract the deal actually looks like a solid value in comparison to what other guys are making. This will be no different. The Chargers have a rookie QB that they don't have to extend for another 3 years, and won't have to pay new money to until 6 seasons from now anyway, so spending money on an elite edge rusher is not going to hurt their cap at all.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm

Also I acknowledge that the Chiefs will be in some cap trouble soon, but for us the chance at success in the short run is worth is

Chargers are in a totally different place

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:05 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Derwin will be another extension next year, and I just don't think giving massive contracts to defensive players is how you build a winner (as opposed to maintaining a championship team with 20+ starters returning)

Would it be fair to say the Mack trade would have been great for a team with a legit franchise QB?
I think it is

I guess the Chargers didn't have any other good choice but going for contention with Tyrod and Herbert at the helm is a fool's errand
The Bears believed they had a franchise QB, and the Chargers believe they do now, so yes the Mack trade was the right move, it was just unfortunately a calculated risk that didn't work out. If the Chargers are right about Herbert, then recent history shows you can contend for SBs with a QB as early as year 2-3 (Wentz, Goff, Mahomes, Lamar). This Chargers roster is a SB caliber team if it has good enough QB play, so locking up their best and most valuable player makes sense so you know you have him for the entirety of your theoretical SB window.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:05 pm
StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:52 pm

I think it is

The Bears believed they had a franchise QB, and the Chargers believe they do now, so yes the Mack trade was the right move, it was just unfortunately a calculated risk that didn't work out. If the Chargers are right about Herbert, then recent history shows you can contend for SBs with a QB as early as year 2-3 (Wentz, Goff, Mahomes, Lamar). This Chargers roster is a SB caliber team if it has good enough QB play, so locking up their best and most valuable player makes sense so you know you have him for the entirety of your theoretical SB window.
There’s our disagreement

I think this Chargers roster is overrated and below average, and that Rivers was just their scapegoat

And Herbert is somehow still the weak link

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 pm

I don't sew what it's missing from a roster standpoint after QB. The OL is a little shaky but has been bolstered, and the run defense could be better, but they have multiple weapons in the passing game, one of the best secondaries in the league and one of the best edge rush duos in Bosa/Ingram. They have most of the pieces teams need to have in order to contend, they just need the biggest two, QB and health.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm
And not too far in the future he probably won't even be in the top 5 or 10 highest paid defensive players. That's just how the contracts go, for the last 20 years or so news will break about some guy getting a massive deal that everyone thinks is too much, and then someone else gets more and we forget about the first guy. Then by time we get to the second half of the contract the deal actually looks like a solid value in comparison to what other guys are making. This will be no different. The Chargers have a rookie QB that they don't have to extend for another 3 years, and won't have to pay new money to until 6 seasons from now anyway, so spending money on an elite edge rusher is not going to hurt their cap at all.
The cap is going down for the foreseeable future, for the first time in a long time. I don't personally think the economy or the NFL's popularity will get better. I think it will get worse over the next 4 years, so I'm not so sure. We shall see. I don't think contracts will just go up forever. I think the NFL has peaked, personally. We shall see, but I think they are beginning to lose fans, and I think the American economy will be in a very difficult spot in the coming years.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:42 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 pm

The cap is going down for the foreseeable future, for the first time in a long time. I don't personally think the economy or the NFL's popularity will get better. I think it will get worse over the next 4 years, so I'm not so sure. We shall see. I don't think contracts will just go up forever. I think the NFL has peaked, personally. We shall see, but I think they are beginning to lose fans, and I think the American economy will be in a very difficult spot in the coming years.
The NFL is not going down anytime soon lol. Still the only sport that comes even close to owning a day of the week in America

And as for the economy: the only relevant factor is Covid and the loss of revenue (from cancellations, no fans, etc). Crashes and recessions have happened and the NFL has thrived through them all

By 2022 at the latest the cap will shoot like it always has imo

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:42 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:39 pm

The NFL is not going down anytime soon lol. Still the only sport that comes even close to owning a day of the week in America

And as for the economy: the only relevant factor is Covid and the loss of revenue (from cancellations, no fans, etc). Crashes and recessions have happened and the NFL has thrived through them all

By 2022 at the latest the cap will shoot like it always has imo
I guess maybe their 17th game will off set some of these things, but I'm not so sure things keep growing at the rate we think. I know a lot of people around my age that are phasing the NFL out, or cutting it out altogether for a variety of reasons (and have seen this growing sentiment throughout the football world on twitter and social media), and to be honest, had I not have paid up for most 2021 leagues, and have a commitment as a commish in 4 leagues, I would have too.

I guess a lot of people will just eat whatever they are served no matter, what. The NFL has that going for them, I suppose you may be right.