Denzel Mims official thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Denzel Mims official thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:56 pm

Good times. Absolutely nothing within our scope of understanding has happened since the NFL draft. We have a very unrealistic scope of understanding then, why do people think on absolutes in August, especially now? Seriously. I know it's a boring off season, but be better than this guy sucks and you should have known better in May.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Yarnith wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm I hated Mims, faded him hard and still ended up with him at pick 3.1. Tell me its gonna ok, help me love him. I want to get the butterflies in my tummy like I do when I watch the Dolphins knock the Pats out of playoff contention. Help me to want me to want him!
My reasons to like him is that he is one of the few top tier prospects that has the prototypical size to be a typical WR1 like we have had in the past. I like how physical he is in using his hands with defenders which seems to be a skill that translates well to the NFL and can lengthen a career as speed guys slow down. I like that he seems to like to run block which also many coaches like so it adds value and a reason to be on the field there as well. He seems good at stacking defenders and even seems to set them up by making a move at some points in a game and then making the same little move or step and going the opposite way than the defender expects. These are all things I am looking for in a dynasty receiver. Is he a 100% hit? No. Am I happy that Adam Gase is his coach? No. Am I happy he is sitting in camp right now due to an injury or physical problem? No. But I cannot fathom calling any rookie a success or bust up to this point.

People do not like that he went to the Jets but I was ecstatic because I could see him having a huge percent of the touches and he is there with a young QB who will hopefully be there a long time.

Now he seems to have some kind of grudge cause he slipped so far as well.

These are my reasons to like him.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:43 pm

The GM wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 pm
Yarnith wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm I hated Mims, faded him hard and still ended up with him at pick 3.1. Tell me its gonna ok, help me love him. I want to get the butterflies in my tummy like I do when I watch the Dolphins knock the Pats out of playoff contention. Help me to want me to want him!
My reasons to like him is that he is one of the few top tier prospects that has the prototypical size to be a typical WR1 like we have had in the past. I like how physical he is in using his hands with defenders which seems to be a skill that translates well to the NFL and can lengthen a career as speed guys slow down. I like that he seems to like to run block which also many coaches like so it adds value and a reason to be on the field there as well. He seems good at stacking defenders and even seems to set them up by making a move at some points in a game and then making the same little move or step and going the opposite way than the defender expects. These are all things I am looking for in a dynasty receiver. Is he a 100% hit? No. Am I happy that Adam Gase is his coach? No. Am I happy he is sitting in camp right now due to an injury or physical problem? No. But I cannot fathom calling any rookie a success or bust up to this point.

People do not like that he went to the Jets but I was ecstatic because I could see him having a huge percent of the touches and he is there with a young QB who will hopefully be there a long time.

Well on the upside the Jets did manage to make Robbie Anderson look almost startable occasionally so there is still hope!
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:36 am

Mims apparently on the field today doing individual drills with Gase saying ‘this is the first time I’ve seen him run routes live’.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:40 am

Yarnith wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:43 pm
Well on the upside the Jets did manage to make Robbie Anderson look almost startable occasionally so there is still hope!
Hahahahahaha :biggrin:

That is really cold!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 am

I am a long suffering Dolphins fan. I have confidence in Gase ability as a HC to turn any team to trash.
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,

WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:08 am

He's in the WR 9-12 mix for me with guys like Aiyuk, Shenault and Hamler. Would definitely take Mims before Claypool or Van though. Such a deep class...

I don't have an issue with taking him before or after any of the guys I mentioned. I couldn't take Mims above the Higgins, Pittman or Edwards guys. If someone is higher on Mims than those names, let me know why and if I'm missing something!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:10 am

The GM wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Nice post. Whereabout do you have Mims in your rookie ranks?

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:16 am

I did not particularly like Mims as a prospect, but when he fell to me at 3.05 he was pretty much the only remaining player on the board with any kind of decent draft capital. I do think Darnold is the right kind of QB for him, as he is pretty reckless and not afraid of downfield throws into tight coverage. Hopefully the Mims truthers are right on him!
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 am

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:08 am He's in the WR 9-12 mix for me with guys like Aiyuk, Shenault and Hamler. Would definitely take Mims before Claypool or Van though. Such a deep class...

I don't have an issue with taking him before or after any of the guys I mentioned. I couldn't take Mims above the Higgins, Pittman or Edwards guys. If someone is higher on Mims than those names, let me know why and if I'm missing something!
I have Mims in that tier with Higgins, Pittman, and Edwards and wouldn't argue much with any order. The thing that I like about Mims more than those other 3 is his ceiling. Mims is the one guy out of that group that I think has a chance to be a WR1. Not saying that is super likely or anything, but I do think his ceiling is far superior to the other guys. However I think his floor is much lower than the other 3. So I could see taking Mims ahead of those 3 if you already have a handful of high floor guys and you want to swing for the fences on a player.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:30 am

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 am
Jigga94 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:08 am He's in the WR 9-12 mix for me with guys like Aiyuk, Shenault and Hamler. Would definitely take Mims before Claypool or Van though. Such a deep class...

I have Mims in that tier with Higgins, Pittman, and Edwards and wouldn't argue much with any order. The thing that I like about Mims more than those other 3 is his ceiling. Mims is the one guy out of that group that I think has a chance to be a WR1. Not saying that is super likely or anything, but I do think his ceiling is far superior to the other guys. However I think his floor is much lower than the other 3. So I could see taking Mims ahead of those 3 if you already have a handful of high floor guys and you want to swing for the fences on a player.
Agree.

Mims has a legit chance to be a WR1. I wouldn’t fault anyone taking him around 1.10 or later. He does have some risk and needs route work but who doesn’t out of Baylor.

Of that group I do think Higgins is better but not by a lot.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 am

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 am

That makes sense on ceiling honestly. I don't view that tier as WR1 guys but I suppose Mims has a shot, definitely more than Shenault or Hamler

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:13 pm

I had him as the bottom of that bunch. All things being equal he is on a bad team with a coach who just isnt very good. The fact he needs to develop in that atmosphere always made him a mid to low 2 for me. I was very happy with him as an early 3rd.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Yarnith wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 am I am a long suffering Dolphins fan. I have confidence in Gase ability as a HC to turn any team to trash.
Another way to play this is to not buy him until Gase leaves town and then snatch him up from a frustrated owner for the inevitable breakout (reference Parker, Drake, etc).
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:00 pm

Shcritters wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Yarnith wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:59 am I am a long suffering Dolphins fan. I have confidence in Gase ability as a HC to turn any team to trash.
Another way to play this is to not buy him until Gase leaves town and then snatch him up from a frustrated owner for the inevitable breakout (reference Parker, Drake, etc).
:surprised: You been spying on my team meetings? Was my plan for the entire jets roster post Gase.