General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Denzel Mims official thread

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:03 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:53 am
Chwf3rd wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:14 pm Feel bad for everyone who wasted a early 2nd round pick on this guy in a great draft class and missed out on some combination of:
Aiyuk
Higgins
Shenault
Edwards
Hamler
AJD
Gibson
Jordan Love (SF/2QB)
Because of a hamstring injury?
He wasn't very good before the hamstring injury
So then you just came here to gloat about how your opinion is right, again (on something that is undecided)? Class. Glad to know you have all the answers and who's going to be good and who isn't before they've played a down. You must win every league with that type of knowledge. Amazing that you can know that all those players will be better? Who built your time machine? Tesla, Einstein...maybe Doc Brown?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am

Mims was one of those guys hyped up by the combine but didn't play up to that athleticism in games.

People were expecting him to go late 1st/early 2nd and held onto that evaluation despite him going late 2nd, more than a full round after Aiyuk, almost a full round after Higgins, Pittman, and Shenault, and after guys like KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool, and Van Jefferson.

Not gloating (nothing has happened yet) just messing around because he was my biggest rookie fade this year.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:12 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am Mims was one of those guys hyped up by the combine but didn't play up to that athleticism in games.

People were expecting him to go late 1st/early 2nd and held onto that evaluation despite him going late 2nd, more than a full round after Aiyuk, almost a full round after Higgins, Pittman, and Shenault, and after guys like KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool, and Van Jefferson.

Not gloating (nothing has happened yet) just messing around because he was my biggest rookie fade this year.
Fair. I did try and have a bit of sense of humour about it, not sure if you got the Doc Brown reference or not, but I always smile when I think of the doc. I had to come strong with your claims that people's pick was already wasted. I'm all for you thinking Mims isn't good. I think he is, but he could be a guy that doesn't translate, certainly possible. I just don't think a lot of those guys you mentioned, especially Gibson and a few others, have a better profile. We shall see how it all plays out.

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am Not gloating (nothing has happened yet) just messing around because he was my biggest rookie fade this year.
So you are not gloating but you are so insecure about your earlier statement that you are going to self validate?

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:39 pm

The GM wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 pm
Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am Not gloating (nothing has happened yet) just messing around because he was my biggest rookie fade this year.
So you are not gloating but you are so insecure about your earlier statement that you are going to self validate?
Sorry you picked Mims over a better WR that went top 25 overall.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:43 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:39 pm
You're turning this into a pissing contest, though. I mean, I drafted Aiyuk and Mims, but I have no idea who will have the better career. You don't know these things. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you've doubled down. I thought maybe I read it wrong, but nope. My initial read was correct. Either you're a teenager, or a really immature adult. You're acting like a child. It's kind of pathetic, if you're over the age of 25, and i'm being generous with that age cut off. There are plenty of people on here that I don't agree with that actually provide valid arguments that are worth reading, you're not one of them. There's nothing to your argument, and you started off interjecting into this thread again with the intent to cause dissonance, clearly. Doing this with literally nothing to back it other than your own opinion, with not data. Just trying to stir the pot. Good for you, bud. :thumbup:

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:39 pm
I picked a mediocre hit profile with a chance to be a WR1 from day 1 over a microscopically low hit one and player who did jackshit until age 21--now getting a bad QB and a team that barely passes

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:39 pm Sorry you picked Mims over a better WR that went top 25 overall.
You seem very insecure. I have no idea who is going to be successful in this class or not.

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:39 pm

Alright gents, let's knock it off before this thread gets locked. This was intended to be a 'catch-all thread' for Mims so that we could come back and look at our statements and perhaps learn from them in the future... pretty sure nobody here is going to be proud of what they said in this pissing match when they look back in 12 months.

Onward and upward gents... and please let it drop. Here's to hoping that ALL the WR's mentioned previously are successful!
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm

I hated Mims, faded him hard and still ended up with him at pick 3.1. Tell me its gonna ok, help me love him. I want to get the butterflies in my tummy like I do when I watch the Dolphins knock the Pats out of playoff contention. Help me to want me to want him!
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Just talking trash, this is just fantasy football after all.

If you loved Mims predraft then the injuries shouldn't affect where you have him very much. However, it is pretty tough for a rookie WR to make an impact after missing valuable practice time. Only change I've made is to move him down to the bottom of the tier I already had him in (now below Hamler, Claypool, and Van Jefferson).

If you're actually interested in why I didn't/don't like Mims see below for what I wrote earlier this year.

In sum:
1. Doesn't play with same level of athleticism he displayed at the combine
2. Struggles to create separation out of his breaks
3. Very raw player that will take time to develop (if he ever does)
4. Lack of dynamic, explosive plays (very little YAC)
Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:03 pm Not a big fan of Mims.

He doesn’t look nearly as fast on the field as he tested at the combine and those guys are always concerning. Not very explosive out of his breaks and struggles to make himself compact. Really raw player who mostly ran slants, back shoulders, and go routes. Plus draft capital was disappointing (I’m a little upset about that because I thought he would push more players I like down).

He’s intriguing given his combo of strong hands and testing athleticism but he’s a super raw player. I’d much rather have someone like Aiyuk, Shenault, Higgins, or Shenault over him and don’t see a huge difference bw him, Hamler, Claypool, and Van Jeff.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:20 pm Just talking trash, this is just fantasy football after all.

If you loved Mims predraft then the injuries shouldn't affect where you have him very much. However, it is pretty tough for a rookie WR to make an impact after missing valuable practice time. Only change I've made is to move him down to the bottom of the tier I already had him in (now below Hamler, Claypool, and Van Jefferson).

If you're actually interested in why I didn't/don't like Mims see below for what I wrote earlier this year.

In sum:

He doesn’t look nearly as fast on the field as he tested at the combine and those guys are always concerning. Not very explosive out of his breaks and struggles to make himself compact. Really raw player who mostly ran slants, back shoulders, and go routes. Plus draft capital was disappointing (I’m a little upset about that because I thought he would push more players I like down).

He’s intriguing given his combo of strong hands and testing athleticism but he’s a super raw player. I’d much rather have someone like Aiyuk, Shenault, Higgins, or Shenault over him and don’t see a huge difference bw him, Hamler, Claypool, and Van Jeff.
Mims was completely off my radar until he universally dominated the Senior Bowl. The list of guys who've done that in recent years? Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Michael Gallup. Year 1 for him was always a bit optimistic given his lack of polish, but his athleticism absolutely shows up on film (although he's more a straight line athlete than a guy with wiggle) and his ability to convert contested catches downfield is special.

I've always been a bit lower on him than most people, but he certainly has potential. We might see a good buy window open up this season.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:16 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:42 pm Mims was completely off my radar until he universally dominated the Senior Bowl. The list of guys who've done that in recent years? Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Michael Gallup. Year 1 for him was always a bit optimistic given his lack of polish, but his athleticism absolutely shows up on film (although he's more a straight line athlete than a guy with wiggle) and his ability to convert contested catches downfield is special.

I've always been a bit lower on him than most people, but he certainly has potential. We might see a good buy window open up this season.
What has me down on him is he is a raw player being developed by Adam Gase. :wall:
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:21 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:42 pm
Chwf3rd wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:20 pm Just talking trash, this is just fantasy football after all.

In sum:

Mims was completely off my radar until he universally dominated the Senior Bowl. The list of guys who've done that in recent years? Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Michael Gallup. Year 1 for him was always a bit optimistic given his lack of polish, but his athleticism absolutely shows up on film (although he's more a straight line athlete than a guy with wiggle) and his ability to convert contested catches downfield is special.

The combination of testing athleticism and strong hands is very enticing and worthy of the late 2nd round pick the Jets spent on him. It's also a great sign that he played well at the senior bowl (albeit the CB roster this year was particularly bad).

I don't think his athleticism showed up very much - he rarely beat guys deep and didn't get a lot of YAC. His straight line speed didn't look like an issue but it also didn't look like a strength. As you mentioned, everything was very linear with him and didn't see a lot of explosion out of his breaks. For comparison, someone like Aiyuk tested as a worse athlete than Mims but plays in a MUCH MORE dynamic/explosive fashion.

There's potential there as he clearly has the potential to be an explosive/dynamic player given his athletic testing but he needs a lot of work. Missing valuable training camp time seems particularly harmful to him given how raw he is and the system he came from.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Can't wait till he's back from the hamstring. I don't agree with all of the negatives (every 2nd round+ rookie pick has some), but I can see why some folks see them.

Tough being a rookie injured early in camp (this year by far more than ever), hopefully he gets out there soon and shows what he can do with Sam at the helm.

That said, I've been luke warm this season on Denzel Mims because I don't expect much for a variety of reasons, with the #1 reason being what many people can agree on as a negative: he's a Jet under Gase.

Much more optimistic next year and beyond.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -