Jordan Love

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Jordan Love

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:21 am

PR0v3 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:10 pm
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm I like Love’s skill set, but given that this is a draft that could have provided Rodgers enough talent for another run or two at a title, Gutekunst may have defined his tenure in GB - for better or worse - with this one pick. That takes some serious stones.
The draft isn’t the place to find immediate help. Taking a rookie and placing the expectations that they will plug a roster hole is poor process. It’s not good for the culture of the organization and it’s not good for the development of the kid.

I think the Packers had a great draft. They can still improve on last year’s team, and they now have elite upside post-Rodgers.
Wait, you’re seriously saying that taking Queen in the 1st (who went 2 picks after Love) and then either Edwards or Duvernay in the late 2nd at WR wouldn’t have made them a much better team this year and for the following 2-3 seasons under Rodgers? And both those picks would also project into long term solutions at positions of serious weakness for the team.

I don’t even know how to get my head around your comment. Queen at MLB for the next decade wouldn’t be good for the team or the player. I’m a die hard Packer fan and I get what they were trying to do in the draft, but that doesn’t mean I have to put on my green and gold glasses and ignore that they took a massive risk, which if it goes sideways could cripple the team for the next 5 years at least and probably longer.

I-ROK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby I-ROK » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:31 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:21 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm I like Love’s skill set, but given that this is a draft that could have provided Rodgers enough talent for another run or two at a title, Gutekunst may have defined his tenure in GB - for better or worse - with this one pick. That takes some serious stones.
The draft isn’t the place to find immediate help. Taking a rookie and placing the expectations that they will plug a roster hole is poor process. It’s not good for the culture of the organization and it’s not good for the development of the kid.

I think the Packers had a great draft. They can still improve on last year’s team, and they now have elite upside post-Rodgers.
Wait, you’re seriously saying that taking Queen in the 1st (who went 2 picks after Love) and then either Edwards or Duvernay in the late 2nd at WR wouldn’t have made them a much better team this year and for the following 2-3 seasons under Rodgers? And both those picks would also project into long term solutions at positions of serious weakness for the team.

I don’t even know how to get my head around your comment. Queen at MLB for the next decade wouldn’t be good for the team or the player. I’m a die hard Packer fan and I get what they were trying to do in the draft, but that doesn’t mean I have to put on my green and gold glasses and ignore that they took a massive risk, which if it goes sideways could cripple the team for the next 5 years at least and probably longer.
I was SHOCKED they passed on Queen

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:39 am

I-ROK wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:31 am

It’s probably worse than just that. They could have taken their choice of Higgins/Pittman in the 1st (would have loved Pittman there) by staying put and then selected Gay at MLB in the 2nd. That’s immediate top notch help that can start from the onset at 2 positions of need, and quite possibly doing the very difficult of selecting BPA/position of need simultaneously with the top 2 draft slots.

I-ROK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby I-ROK » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:46 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:39 am

It’s probably worse than just that. They could have taken their choice of Higgins/Pittman in the 1st (would have loved Pittman there) by staying put and then selected Gay at MLB in the 2nd. That’s immediate top notch help that can start from the onset at 2 positions of need, and quite possibly doing the very difficult of selecting BPA/position of need simultaneously with the top 2 draft slots.
Yes. You aren’t going to beat the 49ers with a QB you hope you never have to play, a “banger” backup RB, a FB/TE. All 3 who will be on the bench. You have a much better shot with a new starting LB and WR

Yes, you don’t want to count on the draft to fill holes completely, but these guys have very little shot at contributing at all this year unless there is injury, and certainly don’t even attempt to try to fill any holes.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:51 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:28 am
Ioverpayforrookies wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:09 pm
Chwf3rd wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:29 am I'm a huge fan and he's the best value in SF right now.

Easily has the best arm talent in the draft class, routinely making jaw dropping throws. He's not a Josh Allen type (which I think he's lazily portrayed as) with scattershot accuracy and fastball only thrower. His accuracy is precise at all levels and he can manipulate his velocity and throw with touch. Really mobile QB with the ability to evade pressure, escape the pocket, and keep his eyes downfield. Some of his throws on the run really are reminiscent of Patrick Mahomes or Carson Wentz. The issue with Love is simply decision making - locking onto his first read or trusting his arm too much. However, you look at his 2018 season and the volume of those bad decisions is not there. In 2019, Love not only lost his coaching staff but his main offensive weapons as well. Considering his elite traits, I'll gladly bet that Love can return to his 2018 form.

I'm fine with the landing spot as well. Sitting for 1 or 2 seasons should be beneficial for him and GB has shown itself to be a really good organization as well, especially for developing QBs. His value should be really insulated as each year he comes closer to eventually taking over the starting gig.

Here are some examples of incredible throws by Love, which no other QB in this draft class and only a few other QBs in the NFL are capable of making:

https://giphy.com/gifs/KeKkJrWyxH4bHjaMEV

https://giphy.com/gifs/Kx7wyV9pwch2E3SJFm

https://giphy.com/gifs/ghNk4xjxfQyzz4FbE1

https://giphy.com/gifs/j4rKBJ31NbbVA3816T
Omg that 3rd throw.... :shock:
He'll make jaw dropping throws, then miss a RB wide open in the flat multiple times in the same game. He shows extremely poor decision making on a much too consistent level for me. The odd jaw dropping throw doesn't make a good QB. Maybe he can put it all together, but the throws I saw Burrow make consistently were like no other QB in this class or any other class recently. I admire the odd highlight throw by Love, but he's a mess overall, and will take a great deal of time overall. I have little confidence in Lafleur to cultivate and develop him.

The idea that the Packers had a great draft as someone stated above is delusional, IMO. Dillon was terrible value as was there 3rd round pick. We'll see how Love pans out, ultimately he will make or break this draft, but the 2nd and 3rd round picks were just not good value picks, regardless if you ask me.
His accuracy is fine - the issue is poor decision making.

Did you watch him in 2018? He was a lot better that year when he had some weapons (Dax Raymond, Darwin Thompson) and his old coaching staff.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:18 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:39 am

Except that is the reality of the NFL now, with the value of rookie contracts players need to contribute early. There are many rookies each year who make significant contributions to their teams immediately.
Not really. None of the best managed teams draft for need, they draft BPA. Obviously there are rookies that do end up contributing, which the Packers rookies very well might, but that’s usually because they earn the right to contribute through their play, not because they are anointed as the one to plug a hole and slotted in regardless of if they are ready or not. Doing so is how you create an anti-competitive locker room culture and an endless cycle of “plugging holes” with guys who aren’t ready.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:41 am

I-ROK wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:46 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:39 am

Yes. You aren’t going to beat the 49ers with a QB you hope you never have to play, a “banger” backup RB, a FB/TE. All 3 who will be on the bench. You have a much better shot with a new starting LB and WR

Yes, you don’t want to count on the draft to fill holes completely, but these guys have very little shot at contributing at all this year unless there is injury, and certainly don’t even attempt to try to fill any holes.
You aren’t getting a 2020 starting LB and WR in the draft slots the Packers were drafting in unless you get extremely lucky. You might get your 2021 or 2022 starting LB and WR, but by then your team needs will have likely changed (like to QB and RB) and you probably passed up better talents in the 2020 draft since you limited your possible selections to perceived “needs.”
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

Forza_Azzurri
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Forza_Azzurri » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:58 pm

With discussions going to extend Rodgers ... anyone see the Packers trading Love? I would think they could get a first from NE, CHI or NO for him ... maybe even TBB.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:15 pm

Forza_Azzurri wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:58 pm With discussions going to extend Rodgers ... anyone see the Packers trading Love? I would think they could get a first from NE, CHI or NO for him ... maybe even TBB.
They aren't getting a first from any of those teams unless they add to Love--and I like Love.

He was a late 1st who hasn't played and the fact that the Packers are willing to move on after a year would be a red flag to most teams

I guess New Orleans if Payton loved him coming out is possible because it's late

Still wouldn't count on it

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Saints could have drafted him last year and went Ruiz, don’t think they’d be interested at all.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:08 pm

cantguardjake wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:34 pm Saints could have drafted him last year and went Ruiz, don’t think they’d be interested at all.
I'm not saying they are because I genuinely don't know but they were a capped out win now team going into the last year of their window last year. It makes sense why they ignored future QB as a need

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:15 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:08 pm
cantguardjake wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:34 pm Saints could have drafted him last year and went Ruiz, don’t think they’d be interested at all.
I'm not saying they are because I genuinely don't know but they were a capped out win now team going into the last year of their window last year. It makes sense why they ignored future QB as a need
Yea that’s a fair analysis. I hope the Saints do acquire a QB via the draft, it will make another interesting landing spot.

Love doesn’t seem like a typical Payton QB to me, he’s wildly inaccurate. Fields to Saints would be ridiculous, a man can dream.

PPE82
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby PPE82 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:46 pm

Rodgers getting extension would just confirm how truly stupid the Love pick was last year.
Team 1
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-6RB, 2-6WR, 1-5TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Kyler Murray, Rudolph, Brissett, Brady
Keaton Mitchell, scrubs
Jefferson, Lamb, Waddle, DeVonta Smith, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Dotson, Josh Palmer, Rashid Shaheed, Toney, Justyn Ross, Metchie, Ronnie Bell
Pitts, Likely
2024 Picks: 1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 2.09, 4.02, 4.12

Team 2
12 Team, SF, PPR, TEP (2PPR)
1-2QB, 2-5RB, 3-6WR, 1-4TE
10 starters, 28 roster spots

Lawrence, Richardson, Young, Mac Jones, Lance, Brady, Bennnet, Haener
Bijan, Charbonnet, Strong Jr., scrubs
Wilson, Nacua, Flowers, Downs, Wicks, Renfrow, Ross, Bell, Metchie
Pitts, Woods
2024 Picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 1.11, 3.05, 3.06, 3.09, 4.02, 4.09

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pm

Love isn't going anywhere IMO. How long did Rodgers sit on the bench? Was Rodgers a Stupid Pick?

3 YEARS....As Aaron Rodgers says...... R-E-L-A-X
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:21 pm

Imagine if the Packers drafted Tee Higgins instead of Love.....