Mahomes new deal

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jigga94
Degenerate
Degenerate
Posts: 9177
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:28 pm

StripesOfKC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Patsfan86 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Im surprised this hasnt been brought up yet but does this effect the real best Qb in the league in the future (Lamar Jackson) lol. I know the play styles are very different, but if Lamar wins a super bowl or another MVP how are they going to say no to him? Maybe less years with more guaranteed money?

Either way Mahomes deserves this as the face of the NFL and one of the most exciting players in the league. People tune in specifically for Mahomes. This contract is more than fair and its what the best players in the game should always get. Mahomes has a bunch of talent around him now but he could easily win with guys off the scrap heap if he needs to in a few years, add Any Reid in this mix and the Chiefs are going to contend for a long long time.
The Ravens are a smart organization. They won't tie themselves to Lamar with this type of deal. Mahomes has the resume to deserve it. Lamar will get less years, and I doubt he gets more guaranteed money. IF he wins a SB and MVP, maybe, but I don't think he would get ten years. Not the way he plays. Nobody is going to be able to justify more than Mahomes in negotiations unless they win a SB. IMO Mahomes sets the ceiling, and the last big deal before him was the floor. Just like with CMC, except Mahomes resume is more impressive. There is no good argument an agent has to get his client more than Mahomes right now.
They are but they did make Joe Flacco the highest paid player in the league, so I don't think Lamar getting this type of contract is out of the question
This. They will pay the guy for sure. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the next season that is played... I don't think FF is saying they won't pay him though, just not with a Mahomes contract. Which is fair, but I don't think anyone is getting 10 year deals anytime soon
2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, FLEX - PPR - [b]14 Keepers[/b]
QB: Mahomes, J. Allen, Baker, D. Jones, Eason
RB: JT, Mostert, Gaskin, Dillon, Gus, Mattison, McFarland, Snell, Wilson, McKissic, Darrel
WR: Tyreek, DJM, Jeudy, Hollywood, Cooks, Mims, Hardman, Preston, Parris
TE: Andrews, Fant, Henry
2021: 1.10, 2, 3, 4, 5.08, 5.10, 6, 7, 9, 10

2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 3FLEX - PPR - [b]20 Keepers[/b]
QB: [b]Mahomes, Ryan,[/b] Minshew, Trubisky, Mariota
RB: [b]Saquon, Jacobs, Dobbins, Hunt,[/b] Penny, Snell
WR: [b]AJB, DJM, Chark, Ruggs, Hardman, Mike Will, C. Davis, C. Samuel,[/b] G. Davis, Mooney, Lazard, J. Washington
TE: [b]Andrews, Henry, Gesicki, Tonyan,[/b] Irv
2021: 1.03, 2.05, 2.09, 3.05, 3.09
2022: 1, 1, 2, 3, 3

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2059
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Jigga94 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:28 pm
StripesOfKC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm


The Ravens are a smart organization. They won't tie themselves to Lamar with this type of deal. Mahomes has the resume to deserve it. Lamar will get less years, and I doubt he gets more guaranteed money. IF he wins a SB and MVP, maybe, but I don't think he would get ten years. Not the way he plays. Nobody is going to be able to justify more than Mahomes in negotiations unless they win a SB. IMO Mahomes sets the ceiling, and the last big deal before him was the floor. Just like with CMC, except Mahomes resume is more impressive. There is no good argument an agent has to get his client more than Mahomes right now.
They are but they did make Joe Flacco the highest paid player in the league, so I don't think Lamar getting this type of contract is out of the question
This. They will pay the guy for sure. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the next season that is played... I don't think FF is saying they won't pay him though, just not with a Mahomes contract. Which is fair, but I don't think anyone is getting 10 year deals anytime soon
If Lamar wins a Superbowl next year, he'll get a bigger deal. That's just how the QB market works. Mahomes got this deal because he had high draft capital, won an MVP in year two, and then went out got the SB and SBMVP year 3. Lamar has the first two, there's no way Baltimore won't match this (or at least give him a comparable deal, maybe more money, fewer years, etc...) if he can do what Mahomes did. Big if.

Patsfan86
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:59 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:50 pm
Jigga94 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:28 pm
StripesOfKC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm


They are but they did make Joe Flacco the highest paid player in the league, so I don't think Lamar getting this type of contract is out of the question
This. They will pay the guy for sure. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the next season that is played... I don't think FF is saying they won't pay him though, just not with a Mahomes contract. Which is fair, but I don't think anyone is getting 10 year deals anytime soon
If Lamar wins a Superbowl next year, he'll get a bigger deal. That's just how the QB market works. Mahomes got this deal because he had high draft capital, won an MVP in year two, and then went out got the SB and SBMVP year 3. Lamar has the first two, there's no way Baltimore won't match this (or at least give him a comparable deal, maybe more money, fewer years, etc...) if he can do what Mahomes did. Big if.
I kind of see it this way too but i think what scares us off as fans and makes us say it cant happen is Lamars play style. Mahomes is Wilson on steroids. He can throw the ball better than anyone but can run when he has too, definitely a safer long term player and is better than Lamar right now. Lamar is obviously more like Michael Vick and this scares us fans off about saying he will get this kind of contract. But the Ravens may see this very differently, may not look at him as a risk due to the running, and give him that kind of money. Its def a big if for Lamar to match mahomes in winning a super bowl but if anyone can do it he can.

Online
bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 11:50 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Patsfan86 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Im surprised this hasnt been brought up yet but does this effect the real best Qb in the league in the future (Lamar Jackson) lol. I know the play styles are very different, but if Lamar wins a super bowl or another MVP how are they going to say no to him? Maybe less years with more guaranteed money?

Either way Mahomes deserves this as the face of the NFL and one of the most exciting players in the league. People tune in specifically for Mahomes. This contract is more than fair and its what the best players in the game should always get. Mahomes has a bunch of talent around him now but he could easily win with guys off the scrap heap if he needs to in a few years, add Any Reid in this mix and the Chiefs are going to contend for a long long time.
The Ravens are a smart organization. They won't tie themselves to Lamar with this type of deal. Mahomes has the resume to deserve it. Lamar will get less years, and I doubt he gets more guaranteed money. IF he wins a SB and MVP, maybe, but I don't think he would get ten years. Not the way he plays. Nobody is going to be able to justify more than Mahomes in negotiations unless they win a SB. IMO Mahomes sets the ceiling, and the last big deal before him was the floor. Just like with CMC, except Mahomes resume is more impressive. There is no good argument an agent has to get his client more than Mahomes right now.
Atlanta gave Vick a 10 year deal, and Lamar is basically a better version of Vick, so it's not completely out of the question. There is more that goes into these things than purely on-field results and W/L record. Lamar is possibly the most popular and marketable player in the league, he's certainly the most fun to watch, he draws and generates A LOT of money for the NFL and the Ravens, he deserves to be compensated for the amount of money he brings in for his employer as much as we all do.
Last edited by bjd5211 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Online
bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 11:50 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:50 pm
Jigga94 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:28 pm
StripesOfKC wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm


They are but they did make Joe Flacco the highest paid player in the league, so I don't think Lamar getting this type of contract is out of the question
This. They will pay the guy for sure. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the next season that is played... I don't think FF is saying they won't pay him though, just not with a Mahomes contract. Which is fair, but I don't think anyone is getting 10 year deals anytime soon
If Lamar wins a Superbowl next year, he'll get a bigger deal. That's just how the QB market works. Mahomes got this deal because he had high draft capital, won an MVP in year two, and then went out got the SB and SBMVP year 3. Lamar has the first two, there's no way Baltimore won't match this (or at least give him a comparable deal, maybe more money, fewer years, etc...) if he can do what Mahomes did. Big if.
If Lamar wins the SB next year the argument can be made that Lamars first 3 years are better than Mahomes because he actually played his rookie year and was the reason his team made the Playoffs. Both would have historic, MVP seasons in year 2, and a SB victory in year 3.

Mahomes would really only have the playoff results/performance in year 2 over Lamar.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 pm

bjd5211 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Patsfan86 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Im surprised this hasnt been brought up yet but does this effect the real best Qb in the league in the future (Lamar Jackson) lol. I know the play styles are very different, but if Lamar wins a super bowl or another MVP how are they going to say no to him? Maybe less years with more guaranteed money?

Either way Mahomes deserves this as the face of the NFL and one of the most exciting players in the league. People tune in specifically for Mahomes. This contract is more than fair and its what the best players in the game should always get. Mahomes has a bunch of talent around him now but he could easily win with guys off the scrap heap if he needs to in a few years, add Any Reid in this mix and the Chiefs are going to contend for a long long time.
The Ravens are a smart organization. They won't tie themselves to Lamar with this type of deal. Mahomes has the resume to deserve it. Lamar will get less years, and I doubt he gets more guaranteed money. IF he wins a SB and MVP, maybe, but I don't think he would get ten years. Not the way he plays. Nobody is going to be able to justify more than Mahomes in negotiations unless they win a SB. IMO Mahomes sets the ceiling, and the last big deal before him was the floor. Just like with CMC, except Mahomes resume is more impressive. There is no good argument an agent has to get his client more than Mahomes right now.
Atlanta gave Vick a 10 year deal, and Lamar is basically a better version of Vick, so it's not completely out of the question. There is more that goes into these things than purely on-field results and W/L record. Lamar is possibly the most popular and marketable player in the league, he's certainly the most fun to watch, he draws and generates A LOT of money for the NFL and the Ravens, he deserves to be compensated for the amount of money he brings in for his employer as much as we all do.
He's certainly not for me. There are quite a few players I enjoy watching more. Barkley, Mahomes, right off the top. His year 3 will go a long way to determining his contract, but I don't think the Ravens would be wise to do a very long term deal. Guaranteeing money for future years after the 2 years left on his rookie deal is a huge risk unless they really dial back his rushing attempts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 10315
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:06 pm

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Mahomes is such a special case, because he's an all-time passer and those players age well. I get Lamar is an all-time runner, but there's a window for that with injuries. I can't see Lamar getting a 10 or 12-year deal.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:56 pm

Mahomes should look up Ron Gant, and take notice.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patr ... ou-can-do/

OhCruelestRanter
Player of the Year
Player of the Year
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm

If the Ravens win the Super Bowl and/or Lamar wins another MVP, his contract will be better than Mahomes’ in some way. Maybe higher AAV/guaranteed AAV and fewer years, maybe it’ll be ten years with more money but fewer guarantees.

It would be really hard for a team to give out a contract that’s comprehensively better than Mahomes’, but it would be just as hard for Jackson’s camp to accept a deal that’s comprehensively worse if he has another monster year.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Apparently the Chiefs have locked in Jones to a big deal. In FF it isn't great for Mahomes. Ideally it would be great if they put the money into the offensive side of the ball and had a bad D. For the Chiefs, themselves, I guess it's a win.

Online
bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 11:50 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm
Apparently the Chiefs have locked in Jones to a big deal. In FF it isn't great for Mahomes. Ideally it would be great if they put the money into the offensive side of the ball and had a bad D. For the Chiefs, themselves, I guess it's a win.
They extended Hill last year, reworked Sammy's deal, and drafted Hardman and CEH in the last 2 drafts. They are investing in the offense, and this won't affect his fantasy performance at all.

Online
bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 11:50 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:44 pm

Blueboy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:25 am
I imagine this means Chris Jones isn't getting his payday with KC, yeah? Maybe Sammy Watkins getting another contract with the team becomes impossible as well, unless he's willing to take a huge pay cut. More optimism for Hardman in 2021?
He just got it

4 years $80M, $60M guaranteed

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter ... 5006007303

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:52 pm

bjd5211 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm
Apparently the Chiefs have locked in Jones to a big deal. In FF it isn't great for Mahomes. Ideally it would be great if they put the money into the offensive side of the ball and had a bad D. For the Chiefs, themselves, I guess it's a win.
They extended Hill last year, reworked Sammy's deal, and drafted Hardman and CEH in the last 2 drafts. They are investing in the offense, and this won't affect his fantasy performance at all.
I agree, but down the line. I don't think Hardman is anything special. My point was, if Jones walks, another FA WR could be brought in, for instance. Mahomes is still going to do well, but obviously if this money was given to the OL, that would be better for him. He threw 50 TD's the year before, and they didn't tie money into the D nearly as much. I would disagree it doesn't affect him at all, it's just on the margins. Watkins, Hardman aren't anything special, and Mahomes will make any average player relevant. Tying up money in the D just prevents upper tier FA's from being signed on offense, so it does affect him to some degree.

Online
bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4740
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 11:50 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:55 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:52 pm
bjd5211 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm
Apparently the Chiefs have locked in Jones to a big deal. In FF it isn't great for Mahomes. Ideally it would be great if they put the money into the offensive side of the ball and had a bad D. For the Chiefs, themselves, I guess it's a win.
They extended Hill last year, reworked Sammy's deal, and drafted Hardman and CEH in the last 2 drafts. They are investing in the offense, and this won't affect his fantasy performance at all.
I agree, but down the line. I don't think Hardman is anything special. My point was, if Jones walks, another FA WR could be brought in, for instance. Mahomes is still going to do well, but obviously if this money was given to the OL, that would be better for him. He threw 50 TD's the year before, and they didn't tie money into the D nearly as much. I would disagree it doesn't affect him at all, it's just on the margins.
If anything this limits how much they can invest into making the D better. It's not like they are ADDING Jones to the D, he's already been there and didn't negatively affect Mahomes production at all... They are just paying Jones more now.

Also Hardman may not be a top 20, but he's an All-Pro return man that helps KC's field positioning. And offensively he is better AND faster than most teams 3rd or 4th options, which is what he is in KC. There will be other draft picks brought in over the years too.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:03 am

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 pm

bjd5211 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:55 pm
FantasyFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:52 pm
bjd5211 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm


They extended Hill last year, reworked Sammy's deal, and drafted Hardman and CEH in the last 2 drafts. They are investing in the offense, and this won't affect his fantasy performance at all.
I agree, but down the line. I don't think Hardman is anything special. My point was, if Jones walks, another FA WR could be brought in, for instance. Mahomes is still going to do well, but obviously if this money was given to the OL, that would be better for him. He threw 50 TD's the year before, and they didn't tie money into the D nearly as much. I would disagree it doesn't affect him at all, it's just on the margins.
If anything this limits how much they can invest into making the D better. It's not like they are ADDING Jones to the D, he's already been there and didn't negatively affect Mahomes production at all... They are just paying Jones more now.

Also Hardman may not be a top 20, but he's an All-Pro return man that helps KC's field positioning. And offensively he is better AND faster than most teams 3rd or 4th options, which is what he is in KC. There will be other draft picks brought in over the years too.
Of course. I just don't see the reasoning behind it being a "good thing" for the offense. I still think Mahomes is QB1 in Dynasty, and not particularly close. If they let Jones walk, that money could have been put into the OL, for example, which would be a better addition in pure fantasy terms.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bjd5211, boochluke, dynastyninja, Packerland and 8 guests