Patrick Mahomes: The Best QB in the NFL & for Dynasty

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Mahomes new deal

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm Im surprised this hasnt been brought up yet but does this effect the real best Qb in the league in the future (Lamar Jackson) lol. I know the play styles are very different, but if Lamar wins a super bowl or another MVP how are they going to say no to him? Maybe less years with more guaranteed money?

Either way Mahomes deserves this as the face of the NFL and one of the most exciting players in the league. People tune in specifically for Mahomes. This contract is more than fair and its what the best players in the game should always get. Mahomes has a bunch of talent around him now but he could easily win with guys off the scrap heap if he needs to in a few years, add Any Reid in this mix and the Chiefs are going to contend for a long long time.
The Ravens are a smart organization. They won't tie themselves to Lamar with this type of deal. Mahomes has the resume to deserve it. Lamar will get less years, and I doubt he gets more guaranteed money. IF he wins a SB and MVP, maybe, but I don't think he would get ten years. Not the way he plays. Nobody is going to be able to justify more than Mahomes in negotiations unless they win a SB. IMO Mahomes sets the ceiling, and the last big deal before him was the floor. Just like with CMC, except Mahomes resume is more impressive. There is no good argument an agent has to get his client more than Mahomes right now.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:16 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:52 pm
Patsfan86 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm Im surprised this hasnt been brought up yet but does this effect the real best Qb in the league in the future (Lamar Jackson) lol. I know the play styles are very different, but if Lamar wins a super bowl or another MVP how are they going to say no to him? Maybe less years with more guaranteed money?

Either way Mahomes deserves this as the face of the NFL and one of the most exciting players in the league. People tune in specifically for Mahomes. This contract is more than fair and its what the best players in the game should always get. Mahomes has a bunch of talent around him now but he could easily win with guys off the scrap heap if he needs to in a few years, add Any Reid in this mix and the Chiefs are going to contend for a long long time.
Can't tell if you are serious

We should ask the Titans what they think

and Lamar is the only one who might approach Mahomes money or pass it with an SB--probably not 10 years though
You missed the Lol, Mahomes is a better real life player though it pains me to say it because i love lamar.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:22 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:03 pm

The Ravens are a smart organization. They won't tie themselves to Lamar with this type of deal. Mahomes has the resume to deserve it. Lamar will get less years, and I doubt he gets more guaranteed money. IF he wins a SB and MVP, maybe, but I don't think he would get ten years. Not the way he plays. Nobody is going to be able to justify more than Mahomes in negotiations unless they win a SB. IMO Mahomes sets the ceiling, and the last big deal before him was the floor. Just like with CMC, except Mahomes resume is more impressive. There is no good argument an agent has to get his client more than Mahomes right now.
I agree that Lamar wont get close to this but he is the only at this point who deserves to be in this. Im a big Lamar believer, i see him improving again this year as a passer. If he does that then it gets him even more in the discussion. Should be an interesting story to follow for the next few years.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm

They are but they did make Joe Flacco the highest paid player in the league, so I don't think Lamar getting this type of contract is out of the question

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:28 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:26 pm

They are but they did make Joe Flacco the highest paid player in the league, so I don't think Lamar getting this type of contract is out of the question
This. They will pay the guy for sure. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the next season that is played... I don't think FF is saying they won't pay him though, just not with a Mahomes contract. Which is fair, but I don't think anyone is getting 10 year deals anytime soon

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:28 pm

This. They will pay the guy for sure. Assuming nothing crazy happens in the next season that is played... I don't think FF is saying they won't pay him though, just not with a Mahomes contract. Which is fair, but I don't think anyone is getting 10 year deals anytime soon
If Lamar wins a Superbowl next year, he'll get a bigger deal. That's just how the QB market works. Mahomes got this deal because he had high draft capital, won an MVP in year two, and then went out got the SB and SBMVP year 3. Lamar has the first two, there's no way Baltimore won't match this (or at least give him a comparable deal, maybe more money, fewer years, etc...) if he can do what Mahomes did. Big if.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:59 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:50 pm

If Lamar wins a Superbowl next year, he'll get a bigger deal. That's just how the QB market works. Mahomes got this deal because he had high draft capital, won an MVP in year two, and then went out got the SB and SBMVP year 3. Lamar has the first two, there's no way Baltimore won't match this (or at least give him a comparable deal, maybe more money, fewer years, etc...) if he can do what Mahomes did. Big if.
I kind of see it this way too but i think what scares us off as fans and makes us say it cant happen is Lamars play style. Mahomes is Wilson on steroids. He can throw the ball better than anyone but can run when he has too, definitely a safer long term player and is better than Lamar right now. Lamar is obviously more like Michael Vick and this scares us fans off about saying he will get this kind of contract. But the Ravens may see this very differently, may not look at him as a risk due to the running, and give him that kind of money. Its def a big if for Lamar to match mahomes in winning a super bowl but if anyone can do it he can.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Atlanta gave Vick a 10 year deal, and Lamar is basically a better version of Vick, so it's not completely out of the question. There is more that goes into these things than purely on-field results and W/L record. Lamar is possibly the most popular and marketable player in the league, he's certainly the most fun to watch, he draws and generates A LOT of money for the NFL and the Ravens, he deserves to be compensated for the amount of money he brings in for his employer as much as we all do.
Last edited by bjd5211 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:19 pm

JoshGordonsDealer wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:50 pm

If Lamar wins the SB next year the argument can be made that Lamars first 3 years are better than Mahomes because he actually played his rookie year and was the reason his team made the Playoffs. Both would have historic, MVP seasons in year 2, and a SB victory in year 3.

Mahomes would really only have the playoff results/performance in year 2 over Lamar.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Atlanta gave Vick a 10 year deal, and Lamar is basically a better version of Vick, so it's not completely out of the question. There is more that goes into these things than purely on-field results and W/L record. Lamar is possibly the most popular and marketable player in the league, he's certainly the most fun to watch, he draws and generates A LOT of money for the NFL and the Ravens, he deserves to be compensated for the amount of money he brings in for his employer as much as we all do.
He's certainly not for me. There are quite a few players I enjoy watching more. Barkley, Mahomes, right off the top. His year 3 will go a long way to determining his contract, but I don't think the Ravens would be wise to do a very long term deal. Guaranteeing money for future years after the 2 years left on his rookie deal is a huge risk unless they really dial back his rushing attempts.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Mahomes is such a special case, because he's an all-time passer and those players age well. I get Lamar is an all-time runner, but there's a window for that with injuries. I can't see Lamar getting a 10 or 12-year deal.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:56 pm

Mahomes should look up Ron Gant, and take notice.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patr ... ou-can-do/

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:39 pm

If the Ravens win the Super Bowl and/or Lamar wins another MVP, his contract will be better than Mahomes’ in some way. Maybe higher AAV/guaranteed AAV and fewer years, maybe it’ll be ten years with more money but fewer guarantees.

It would be really hard for a team to give out a contract that’s comprehensively better than Mahomes’, but it would be just as hard for Jackson’s camp to accept a deal that’s comprehensively worse if he has another monster year.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Apparently the Chiefs have locked in Jones to a big deal. In FF it isn't great for Mahomes. Ideally it would be great if they put the money into the offensive side of the ball and had a bad D. For the Chiefs, themselves, I guess it's a win.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:32 pm Apparently the Chiefs have locked in Jones to a big deal. In FF it isn't great for Mahomes. Ideally it would be great if they put the money into the offensive side of the ball and had a bad D. For the Chiefs, themselves, I guess it's a win.
They extended Hill last year, reworked Sammy's deal, and drafted Hardman and CEH in the last 2 drafts. They are investing in the offense, and this won't affect his fantasy performance at all.