Shortened Season Draft Order

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Johnny Canuck
All Pro
All Pro

Shortened Season Draft Order

Postby Johnny Canuck » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:58 am

Hey everyone, I get that this one of multiple 2021 speculation threads, but I thought this deserved its own thread as it could have a massive impact on dynasty leagues. Plus then ppl won’t have to search through others, for this draft order specific type of information.

My questions about draft order are:

A) what are you doing if the season is cancelled completely? Previous draft order from last season? Lottery system? Maybe a top 6/bottom 6 lottery system so no one that made the playoffs could get the 1.01 - or an extremely heavily weighted lottery?

B) if the season is cancelled mid way into the yr, are you crowning a champion? If so, are you basing it on record? Total points? Are you doing full payouts - or maybe a half payout with the other half going towards next season?

C) if the season is cancelled midway, how are you determining draft order? Total points makes the most sense to me, but I’ve had ppl argue it should still be record then total points for tie breaks.

D) what amount of games is required to consider the season stats for draft purposes, 4? 6? 8?

E) is your league thinking about doing anything fun to determine draft order if the season was cancelled? I don’t think this is popular but some members in my league have mentioned similar things.

Basically what are you doing as a commish now as preventative measures/by laws for the upcoming 2021 season unknowns

chalorpas
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Shortened Season Draft Order

Postby chalorpas » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:16 pm

This doesn’t answer every question but I don’t think previous season draft order or lottery based on last year is the way to go. In one of my leagues, a 32-team double copy league, I did a complete rebuild in 2019 and ended up with 14 1st round picks, including my own 1.01. I actually ended up trading every pick and now am one of the strongest contenders in the league this year with Barkley, cmc, zeke, drake, Godwin, tyreek, Arob, and kittle. So much can change year to year and while doing the draft order based on last year would benefit me, it doesn’t seem fair.

I don’t know how feasible it would be but to me if there is no season at all, you could plug in each teams roster and draft picks into a dynasty trade calculator and do a lottery based on worst to best teams from that.

jgoodie24
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Shortened Season Draft Order

Postby jgoodie24 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:28 am

I have not yet discussed this with my league but I plan on proposing the following:

1. If the NFL season goes ahead as normal, so will we (obviously).
2. If more than 6 games are played (half the fantasy regular season), we consider the head-to-head rankings at that time as final. We will crown a champion and use the inverse of the rankings for the 2021 draft.
3. If 6 or fewer games are played, we will consider it a lost season and no champion will be crowned. 2021 draft order will be determined by the all play record of the games we did get in 2020.
4. If the season is cancelled outright, I will assign 2021 draft order by a dungeons and dragons style 2d6 dice roll with modifiers based on 2019 final rankings. Modifiers would be +0 for top 2 finishers, +1 for 3-6, +2 for 7-9, and +3 for 10th.
Riverside Van Dwellers - 2021 Champion
10 Team, 0.5 PPR:
starts 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 D/ST, 1 K
12 bench, 4 IR, 3 Redshirts (2 yr limit)

QB: T. Brady, J. Garoppolo
RB: D. Singletary, D. Swift, CEH, J. Cook, J. Warren, J. McKinnon
WR: C. Kupp, T. Higgins, K. Allen, DeVonta Smith, G. Davis, A-R St. Brown, A. Pierce
TE: T. Higbee, TJ Hockenson
K: T. Bass, B. Maher
D/ST: Pit, Ind, LAR
IR: Marquise Brown
Redshirt: D. Ridder, K. Williams

2023 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4x2
2024 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4